• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Literally one of the most pointless trailers I've ever seen in my life.

I was pumped when they started talking about a new trailer, and then just when I thought they would actually tell us something about the game, it ends.
why spend that much time, effort and money making a trailer that literally tells you as much the fucking title of the game tells you.

They are making a space game.

Thats all it tells you! Todd Howard said more about the game in one sentence than the trailer tells you FFS.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Impressive considering the trailer is essentially a mood piece for a game that's existed in the public consciousness for a number of years now.

Call it anecdotal but I really haven't seen this trailer bolster excitement for this project that didn't exist prior to its release. I imagine it will be quickly eclipsed by the eventual gameplay demo where Bethesda over-sells the degree of interactivity and emergent qualities in their game.

I'm still looking forward to the game and expect it to be great but this trailer wasn't a great show for it.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
this game reminds me of the time when titanfall was revealed and it was looked at like the second coming of Christ. After cyberpunk and fallout 76, it is ok to be a bit cautious

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017

I was pumped when they started talking about a new trailer, and then just when I thought they would actually tell us something about the game, it ends.
why spend that much time, effort and money making a trailer that literally tells you as much the fucking title of the game tells you.

Thats all it tells you! Todd Howard said more about the game in one sentence than the trailer tells you FFS.

I agree. I was looking forward to see what Starfield was all about and this trailer tells me almost nothing. Even the artworks they released after says a lot more about the game than the trailer. Guess we have to wait for the next one.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
This trailer is still showing up as an ad randomly while watching non-gaming related youtube videos for me.
The ad-play early on was probably the No. 1 reason they decided to announce the date this early.

Not that we didnt need any more confirmation but MS is serious about this one.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
honestly, I need to see the game in action and see if they improved animations significantly from Fallout 4.

More than resolution, textures or the 3D models I always found the stilted animations of Bethesda Studio games to be immersion breaking compared.

Mani

Jan 14, 2018
London
Can't believe this is all we got after many years. This should have been out this year now the next elder scrolls is pushed further out because of this delay :/

Peru

Oct 26, 2017

It's a mood piece teaser. Not unusual for games or movies or anything. It says something about the vision without revealing any 'meat'.

And that's fine. We got a date, so we know the next year will be filled with increasingly concrete and substantial information and footage. This kickstarted that and clearly got the views they wanted - now people know it's coming soon.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Regardless how many of those views are ads, I think the like/dislike ratio itself is surprisingly low. 88.5% is about as low as Fallout 76. The teasers for Skyrim and Fallout 4 used to be in the 98%-99% range, and they weren't more informative or better realized than this one. I thought the unique proposition of NASA punk by BGS would drive more engagement than this.
Keep in mind Starfield is a exclusive and that guarantees free downvotes by people, who don't have anything better to do than searching for videos of exclusives like Uncharted and Halo to downvote.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Can't believe this is all we got after many years. This should have been out this year now the next elder scrolls is pushed further out because of this delay :/
In a world where cyberpunk was rushed out the door it still amazes me people really think things should have been "out this year"

quite a crazy outlook to have

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
The game will be a tent-pole franchise for MS along with Halo, Forza, Gears, Elder Scrolls, Fallout..etc. :)

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I dont see the point in updating trailer views when its just an ad.

www.youtube.com

S T A L K E R 2: Heart of Chernobyl — Official Gameplay Trailer (4K) | E3 2021

Get your first look at gameplay from the first-person survival shooter and sequel to Shadow of Chernobyl from GSC Games.#IGN #Gaming #E32021

this has ten times less views and more likes.
Funny that the title got even updated when it's been demonstrated a bunch of times in this thread that these are mostly bought ad plays.

Well a win is a win i guess lol.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I'm sure it will be a big deal, but this trailer is being run as an ad, so you can't assess much of anything from the view count. Always look at the ratio of views to likes with these videos.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Trolling; History of Similar Behavior
yEaH bUt tHe Ad ViEwS

-literally every console warrior ever

as if this game still won't be massive 😂

isahn

Nov 15, 2017
Roma
Imagine the numbers that will do a good gameplay trailer. Starfield is posed to be a system and subscription seller

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BotW2 E3 trailer has half as many views, but eight times as many likes. The difference being Nintendo's trailer isn't part of a YT ad rotation. In this case, Starfield's view count is almost completely meaningless, despite how successful the game is clearly going to be.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
yEaH bUt tHe Ad ViEwS

What does this have to do with console warring? People are just pointing out that the number of views in this one particular video is not an informative measure, absolutely no one here was suggesting that the game wont be huge (and it will be).

These kinds of comments is exactly why it has become so easy for fake rumors to spread around in the last few years, no one bothers doing the slightest bit of fact checking beyond reading a title and taking it as a fact.

Monodrone

Nov 1, 2017
BotW2 E3 trailer has half as many views, but eight times as many likes. The difference being Nintendo's trailer isn't part of a YT ad rotation. In this case, Starfield's view count is almost completely meaningless, despite how successful the game is clearly going to be.
But why is it meaningless? Trailers are made for marketing purposes and 11 million people have been "exposed" to the trailer. It is fulfilling its purpose or have I missed something?

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Impressive. On the one hand, I am definitely excited for a space based RPG, and I enjoyed Skyrim back in the day - although found Fallout 4 irredemiably boring. On the other, Bethesda sure do make pretty darn generic products in terms of premise, narrative and art design. I am hoping that changes with this, but the presentation here suggests not. Still, very little shown so I live in hope.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Regardless how many of those views are ads, I think the like/dislike ratio itself is surprisingly low. 88.5% is about as low as Fallout 76. The teasers for Skyrim and Fallout 4 used to be in the 98%-99% range, and they weren't more informative or better realized than this one.

Context matters.

Skyrim wasn't a new IP. It was an Elder Scrolls sequel, which brought along with it a certain level of expectation, especially since Oblivion was reasonably successful before it. Furthermore, although all I have this many years in is just anecdotal evidence, the officieal teaser for Skyrim, today is listed at 12 mil views. which isn't a lot by today's standards, but I anecdotally remember that reveal being praised as a master-class in a powerful reveal that generated a ton of hype. Remember that this was TEN YEARS AGO, and YouTube has only grown monstrously larger in reach ever since. The same trailer in 2015 would probably clock closer to 20 million.

Fallout 4 was sequel to the highly beloved Fallout 3, which was a monster-hit. Though it lacked Skyrim's "teaser" power, IP can carry reveals to varying degrees of exctiment so long. For example, TES 6 teaser from 3 years ago? 14 million views, and a like/dislike ratio that has no evidence of ad-boosting.

The "totally nothing' God of War sequel teaser trailer that showed only a logo and some narration? 5.7 million views on IGN channel ( no official version exist ). It would've been closer to 10 if Sony released an official trailer video for that.

When a franchise is sufficiently beloved, you can throw a total nothing and people would go crazy for it.

I thought the unique proposition of NASA punk by BGS would drive more engagement than this.

Here's the thing.

I wouldn't make any assumption that any 'yet to be substantiated in proper gameplay conceptual idea' that some of us find interesting/unique/etc is actually all that interesting to the broader gaming audience, from a concept perspective that it drives engagement. The simplest anecdote I can offer is how whenever people talk about games you'd like to see, it's rarely asking for new franchises/ideas/never-seen-before-stuff. Because familiarity and existing franchise is more comforting than one would like.

A clearer anecdote would probably be Ghost of Tsushima in relation to Ubisoft's refusal/disinterest/keeps passing over in making AssCreed Japan for years and its early marketing metrics. If I look at initial views/engagement level/etc for Ghost - it did poorly for what was apparently a 'much requested setting' aka fuedal Japan open-world. I would imagine Ubisoft's own internal data suggest that conceptually on paper, feudal Japan open world was probably asked a lot in isolated settings, but don't have high levels of engagement solely from a conceptual level.

It wasn't until gameplay reveal for Ghost ( which wasn't even anything revolutionary, it was just the actual visual representation of what everyone was asking for - AssCreed Samurai etc ) - that metrics shot through the roof, and once average consumer is able to reconcile the vague concept of 'samurai open world' to 'actual gameplay footage' that the long-term interest in the setting was rewarded in real engagement.

It's rare that ideas on their own generate a ton of interest. Cyberpunk was the rare IP that did.

yEaH bUt tHe Ad ViEwS

I know this isn't in reference to me, but for anyone who thinks I'm remotely putting on my console warrior air here - just go look up my post history every year when it comes to discussing YouTube E3 trailers. I made the OP for a few of them myself.

I always bring up ad-boosts and ad-views. EVERY. DAMN. YEAR.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
But why is it meaningless? Trailers are made for marketing purposes and 11 million people have been "exposed" to the trailer. It is fulfilling its purpose or have I missed something?
It is uselss as an informative measure of interest and engagement in the game, all it tells us is that MS have been pushing the ad onto many people, regardless of whether they wanted to see it or not.
"11 million people who went out of their way to see the trailer for Starfield" is a completely different statistic than "11 million people saw the trailer, out of which 9~10 million (probably a fair estimate given the like numbers) got to see it because the ad was pushed onto them"
And just to be clear, I expect the game will be huge, but using this thread as the indicator for how huge it will be is a false basis.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's meaningless within the context of this thread. Those views do little to prove that "Bethesda is still a big deal" (they are, but a YT ad isn't evidence of that).

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I don't even understand why they would run ads for this trailer.
Even without delays, it won't be out for almost one and a half years.
This trailer was made for gaming enthusiasts who begged for info ever since the initial reveal. Those people have seen the presentation.
Casuals don't care for this stuff that early. They'll care when the game is a few months away tops and will pre-order it then. Why shove it in their face now when they'll just forget about it once their next instagram notification pops up??

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
the fact this wasn't in the top 5 twitter mentions during E3 suggests to me that while a lot of people are seeing the trailer, it being a trailer of absolutely nothing isn't really making people talk about it.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This trailer was made for gaming enthusiasts who begged for info ever since the initial reveal. Those people have seen the presentation.
Casuals don't care for this stuff that early. They'll care when the game is a few months away tops and will pre-order it then. Why shove it in their face now when they'll just forget about it once their next instagram notification pops up??
It's as much an ad for Xbox Series X/S and Game Pass as it is for Starfield.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I'd argue Halo Infinite and Forza Horizon 5 would be better suited to advertise the consoles and Game Pass but I don't know if they've also pushed ads for those.

I wouldn't assume this was a MS-driven move, but a Bethesda one. They still have their own marketing/publisher arm - I would assume nothing's changed yet and that Bethesda still makes some marketing decisions on their own.

Bethesda uses ad-boosting a lot for their E3 presence. They used it for Fallout 76 too.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd argue Halo Infinite and Forza Horizon 5 would be better suited to advertise the consoles and Game Pass but I don't know if they've also pushed ads for those.
I agree. Not sure if those are ads or not. FH5 has 5M+ views, but significantly more likes than Starfield, so I wouldn't be surprised if MS isn't running it as an ad yet.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I'd argue Halo Infinite and Forza Horizon 5 would be better suited to advertise the consoles and Game Pass but I don't know if they've alsopushed ads for those.
Pretty much every major short (2-3 min) trailer will be ad viewed to a degree, some just do so extremely, Bethesda usually do so, like I remember 76 keeping pace with a Cyberpunk trailer at E3 2018 or 2019, like into the 20m views, but a quick look at the likes and comments made it perfectly clear why that was. It's easy to see what's real view and what got skipped in 5 seconds when you compare the views, likes/dislikes and comments.

rainking187

Oct 25, 2017
They really should have spent more time talking about this game at E3. "Skyrim in space" doesn't actually tell you anything about the game.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
You underestimate how impactful seeing something repeatedly can be. In fact, I bet a lot of people already forgot about Starfield, Stalker, Sea of Thieves by the end of the CONFERENCE, let alone the next day - which is exactly why they remind you at the end with "hey, these are the games you saw!". Watch reactions and you'll see plenty of "Oh yea! That game looked cool!".

In fact, I'd argue "casuals" care more about this than hardcore people who eagerly anticipate every piece of news. Why shove it in their face? Because that's how you establish a brand for someone who ISN'T going to sit in front of a computer screen day in and day out and think "MOAR GAEMZ!!". CGI trailers tend to get more views than long gameplay demos - and for good reason. If you think blockbuster AAA announce trailers are aimed mainly at enthusiasts, then I disagree. They're not the ones whose attention you need to grab.

All that said, yes, view counts isn't that useful for extrapolating anything beyond "Bethesda, with Microsoft support, believes in this game and is willing to put resources into making and marketing it"

As for the actual content, gamers are a fickle bunch. Remember that time they went crazy over horse testicles amongst rolling hills? See, I don't recall a lot "WHAT A USELESS TRAILER!!!" then. Certainly, there were people who wanted more, but nothing quite like this weird tinge of aggressive discounting around Starfield that seems to have little to do with the actual game..

It's a tone piece that tells you what the setting of the game is - you learned there are guns (combat), there's a mech that can go in a ship (exploration), you can lift off in the ship (space exploration or at least multiple locations), the tech seems fairly familiar and grounded (not likely to be leaning on procedural generation), there are factions or different organizations (from the audio), etc - and I haven't even watched any of those crazy WE BREAK THIS DOWN FRAME BY FRAME analyses. For what is a first look trailer a year and a half away, I think this is hardly as "pointless" as some are saying.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
They really should have spent more time talking about this game at E3. "Skyrim in space" doesn't actually tell you anything about the game.
Lol, it tells everything they need at this poiny. Yes I would have loved them to go into more details about how exploration will work etc, but right now the game is still a year and a half away from release. They'll have big blow outs closer to release (I expect next E3 Starfield will be game of the show)

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
The fact the trailer is an ad is probably helping the views but skipped ads don't get views.

The change in discourse around this game on Era since it's exclusivity was becoming clear is disappointing though.

OP makes a thread about the view count: replies enter about Gamepass, other games at E3, Bethesda jank and all kinds of other stuff not really related to the interest in the trailer.

A more honest response should be: "I lost interest in Starfield after it became exclusive to a platform I don't want to play on" but reverb that's off topic.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
It mightn't tell you anything, but 'From the creators of Skyrim, comes Skyrim in Space' is more than enough to peak ears and turn heads, which is the aim. They're looking to build brand power in-advance.

11 million views and climbing, for what's essentially a mood piece teaser, is massive no matter how you swing it. Especially for Xbox, who usually has a pretty limp performance on youtube metrics and online engagement, that rarely if ever comes close to this (see Halo Infinite's recent showing only garnering ~2 million views, the Fable 4 reveal only just reaching 1 million, new IP like Avowed hitting hardly a million views, etc)

Jul 26, 2018
Because of ads, the trailer wouldn't have been anywhere near that if not for that (as clearly shown by the number of likes).

The game will be huge, though, I suspect it will easily become a tentpole series on par (if not bigger) than TES

A space game that becomes a bigger hit than TES would make me so happy during the next 25 years. Don't get me wrong TES games are fine but I'm definitely not into fantasy and fantasy has been overplayed in gaming already, now a grounded scifi universe set in the future 300 years? Looking forward to it