• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MirageDwarf

Oct 28, 2017
Has there been any mentioned of fast travel in previews? In previous Bethesda games it was only one map for fast travel. Unlike Mass Effect, this is much more open world. I'm afraid of huge loading time for fast travel to another system/planet/location.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
seinfeld-jerry-seinfeld.gif

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
This whole "1000 planets"-controversy is dumb, of course space is going to be full of negative space, that's half the charm of what makes space interesting.

However, a more legitimate concern I have is how small the cities look. In Mass Effect, when you're at the Citadel, you can only just go in a couple of small floors, but you can see how big the place looks and it feels real even if you can't go everywhere.

In Skyrim and Fallout games, I'm never surprised when cities are small, in Fallout because most people have died anyway, and you're only playing in a limited countryside, so you know that there are a lot more people outside the perimeter of the game. In Elder Scrolls, it's already a little less ideal (Whiterun is small, honestly) but again, you're playing on just one part of a massive land, so you know there is a lot more.

However, in Starfield, since you're supposed to be able to go everywhere, knowing that New Atlantis is supposed to be the biggest city in the universe, and seeing how small it actually is, means you'll never feel the way you feel when seeing the Citadel.

Like, I see the small gif from Neon City, and if all we have is one street, one docking room and a control room, the equivalent of the Groundbreaker in Outer Worlds, with no additional places outside our reach, it'll feel really small to me.

I get that not every game can have huge cities, but when looking at Novigrad, arguably one of the biggest cities in 3D RPGs, it felt grand, and since you're not playing on the entirety of the region, you feel like there might be other cities like that out of our reach and the world becomes big and coherent.

I feel like having small cities in Outer Worlds was more or less ok, first obviously because it's a small game, but also because, lore-wise, colonies haven't been built all that long ago. And you do have places like Byzantium where you're only playing in a limited space, but you can see that it's bigger than that. You know there is more.

That was always something that I felt Fable did best. You had small districts that were relatively easy to model, but by having to load other places you just felt like Bowerstone was big, like there were a lot of unseen space between locations. It made the cities feel gigantic.

It feels like in Starfield you can see and touch everything, and it feels like everything that has been colonized should be bigger. I wish New Atlantis was bigger than it's actual playable space.

I don't know what you all think about that.

Arx

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely love how haptic and physical everything looks from charaters, cloth, armor, ships...terrain. Big fan of the artstyle, and its got that 70s scifi vibe going for it in places (reminds of Star Treks depiction of earth).

Emzee

Sep 9, 2020
Digital Foundry is now getting mobbed in the tweet advertising the breakdown video for mentioning the game is a next gen spectacle. I hate fanboyism so much.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
This whole "1000 planets"-controversy is dumb, of course space is going to be full of negative space, that's half the charm of what makes space interesting.

However, a more legitimate concern I have is how small the cities look. In Mass Effect, when you're at the Citadel, you can only just go in a couple of small floors, but you can see how big the place looks and it feels real even if you can't go everywhere.

In Skyrim and Fallout games, I'm never surprised when cities are small, in Fallout because most people have died anyway, and you're only playing in a limited countryside, so you know that there are a lot more people outside the perimeter of the game. In Elder Scrolls, it's already a little less ideal (Whiterun is small, honestly) but again, you're playing on just one part of a massive land, so you know there is a lot more.

However, in Starfield, since you're supposed to be able to go everywhere, knowing that New Atlantis is supposed to be the biggest city in the universe, and seeing how small it actually is, means you'll never feel the way you feel when seeing the Citadel.

Like, I see the small gif from Neon City, and if all we have is one street, one docking room and a control room, the equivalent of the Groundbreaker in Outer Worlds, with no additional places outside our reach, it'll feel really small to me.

I get that not every game can have huge cities, but when looking at Novigrad, arguably one of the biggest cities in 3D RPGs, it felt grand, and since you're not playing on the entirety of the region, you feel like there might be other cities like that out of our reach and the world becomes big and coherent.

I feel like having small cities in Outer Worlds was more or less ok, first obviously because it's a small game, but also because, lore-wise, colonies haven't been built all that long ago. And you do have places like Byzantium where you're only playing in a limited space, but you can see that it's bigger than that. You know there is more.

That was always something that I felt Fable did best. You had small districts that were relatively easy to model, but by having to load other places you just felt like Bowerstone was big, like there were a lot of unseen space between locations. It made the cities feel gigantic.

It feels like in Starfield you can see and touch everything, and it feels like everything that has been colonized should be bigger. I wish New Atlantis was bigger than it's actual playable space.

I would disagree that the cities are small. Especially note pictures 1 and 3. They are on different corners of the city. Also zoom into pic 1 and look how tiny the people are. It's huge.

hUQTK4L.jpeg

GYgXXzR.jpeg

0uz734B.jpeg

J8yIvri.jpeg

TP697Bb.jpeg

t0uoAXa.jpeg

M5Vr8k0.png

Last edited:

Psoelberg

Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely love the grounded look and direction of this game. It's everything I hoped it would be. Have been this exciting for a game in years.

Avantgarde

Oct 27, 2017
This watch looks very good as a collector's item. I really hope it's included in the collector's edition because that would most likely mean there won't be a huge plastic spaceship toy inside. I prefer my collector's editions compact & weighty, as opposed to the ginormous & hollow trend.

Emzee

Sep 9, 2020
Jealousy fam. It's crazy how much people want to hate it but know deep down they would love to play it. it's going to do very well.

I think so too, it's crazy to think about a Bethesda game becoming some kind of underdog considering the clout they've always had in the persistent open world genre. But here we are. I guess, Fallout 76 wasn't really kind to them...but I always viewed their online offerings separate from their mainline games.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
This watch looks vey good as a collector's item. I really hope it's included in the collector's edition because that would most likely mean there won't be a huge plastic spaceship toy inside. I prefer my collector's editions compact & weighty, as opposed to the ginormous & hollow trend.
Seems like it will be!
026q9wn6tdb81.png

www.ign.com

Starfield Collector's Edition Watch Possibly Leaked - IGN

A Starfield-themed watch has seemingly leaked online, and some fans think it might be set to arrive as part of the game's Collector's Edition at launch - or could even appear in the game itself.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game is a going to be a gigantic success even with whatever bugs it launches with

ragolliangatan

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2019
Digital Foundry is now getting mobbed in the tweet advertising the breakdown video for mentioning the game is a next gen spectacle. I hate fanboyism so much.

that was always gonna happen - twitter is a sesspool for console warriors. The amount of console warrior stuff that get's amplified by their algorithm if you are following the video game topic is something else.

Yueezy

Dec 12, 2020
looking at these gifs really makes me eager to play this more and more. Diablo 4 and this, a bit worried about how my social life is going to be.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
looking at these gifs really makes me eager to play this more and more. Diablo 4 and this, a bit worried about how my social life is going to be.

Yeah. Been saying to my chums, all i need is D4 and Starfield and ill be set for all of next year. Dont care about anything else. Ill have hundreds of hours in both games im sure.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada

I dunno, the cities actually seem pretty big by the standards of Bethesda games. Akila city for example looks quite a bit larger than most cities in Skyrim despite probably being the smallest of the 4 cities here.

That being said, I don't think Bethesda's ever going to make cities as large as Novigrad simply because doing so would introduce lots of issues with things such as navigation and performance. It's also worth mentioning that 99% of the buildings in Novigrad cannot be entered and just serve as window dressing. In comparison, every single building in a bethesda city can be entered and they all are named and serve a logical purpose (such as being an NPC's house). The same is true about the citizens of each city where NPCs typically have daily schedules that are way more complex in Bethesda games.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Has there been any mentioned of fast travel in previews? In previous Bethesda games it was only one map for fast travel. Unlike Mass Effect, this is much more open world. I'm afraid of huge loading time for fast travel to another system/planet/location.

There are implications that you won't be able to just grav jump across the Galaxy, and that you have to upgrade your ship to be able to jump larger distances in one go.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
That's all it is, bitter folk that Starfield won't be on a Sony console. It's fucking ridiculous. Sadly it's made it's way here in other Starfield threads.

Has it actually been confirmed its not coming to Playstation?

*Edit...i just looked it up myself. Guess not. I mustve missed this announcement last year.

"For anyone wanting to play on the PlayStation 5, however, you're out of luck. At E3 2021, Microsoft explicitly confirmed that Starfield would be an Xbox exclusive with a PC release. It will not come out on the PlayStation 5."

Last edited:

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California

*Edit...i just looked it up myself. Guess not. I mustve missed this announcement last year.

"For anyone wanting to play on the PlayStation 5, however, you're out of luck. At E3 2021, Microsoft explicitly confirmed that Starfield would be an Xbox exclusive with a PC release. It will not come out on the PlayStation 5."
They shouldn't expect The Elder Scrolls 6 or Fallout 5 either.

MirageDwarf

Oct 28, 2017
There are implications that you won't be able to just grav jump across the Galaxy, and that you have to upgrade your ship to be able to jump larger distances in one go.
Not a fan of mechanics if bolded part is true. Just give me ability to fast travel as much as I can without any roadblocks. If I have discovered the location, I should be able to fast travel there (within Starfield's design limitations).

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
That's how it is in most space games. Need to upgrade your hyperspace drive or whatever to make bigger jumps.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan of mechanics if bolded part is true. Just give me ability to fast travel as much as I can without any roadblocks. If I have discovered the location, I should be able to fast travel there (within Starfield's design limitations).

Yeah, we'll have to see what ends up happening but I think it's important for people to make a stink if they dislike it, as it is going to be very polarizing. It's closer to Morrowind travel and I assume things need to re-charge before you can even jump again.

That's how it is in most space games. Need to upgrade your hyperspace drive or whatever to make bigger jumps.

Yep. Bethesda just has made fast travel easier and easier, so it's a big question mark. If you want to make the ship important I think it really does that.

ragolliangatan

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2019

ES6 and FO5 will be Xbox and PC only, if you aren't in that ecosystem I imagine XCloud is gonna be everywhere by the time they release.