• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
They really upped their visuals compared to FO76/FO4.

This game is super ambitious when you consider how long they've been working on it and how many people are working on it compared to their previous projects.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
MY worry about Bethesda is 60fps maybe difficult and or impossible(on console) unless they tackled their largest culprit: Shadows. Especially shadow distance. In fallout 4 they used a very in-efficient technique that quite literally brought an otherwise extremely doable game at 60fps to its knees. In terms of gpu optimizations they have a lot of options, FSR, VRS etc, which I hope get utilized to squeeze every last bit of performance out. 60 is DOABLE! I just hope Bethesda put enough man power behind it.
Good news is that they've still got at least 9 months to a year to iron it out. Game is likely still in Alpha or early Beta, so l'm hopeful the game will have some sort of 60 fps mode (on Series X). Obviously 60fps+ can be brute forced or massaged with settings on PC, but the more optimization, the better.

Alcander

Oct 29, 2017
I wonder how recruiting a crew will work. Are they all going to be major side characters, or just random NPCs? Would be interesting if the structure was more like Suikoden where there are 100s of minor characters that you can recruit if you try correctly. My worry is that they are just "generated" (like you add a crew slot to your ship and an NPC just shows up who you didn't previously meet).

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I like the idea that maybe an alien race is introduced to mankind during the story. This game obviously takes place early in space travel. So it would make sense we haven't encountered aliens yet. And I hate to say it, but aliens as a bad guy would be a cop out. If anything, we should fight a bad group that's against the idea of teaming up with aliens.

This. As someone else said. The Expanse: The Next Generation

Se_7_eN

Oct 25, 2017
20220614-231927.jpg
Thank you for this.

DJ88

Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit this looks incredible to explore. Bethesda are going to put real mind bending stories, terrifying physic-defying worlds, inter dimensional portals and all manner of application of real theories regarding how the universe works or how it may not work. Going to be epic.

Are there any interviews or quotes where Bethesda has mentioned stuff like this being planned for the game? Or is this inferred from how their past game worlds have been?

This will be my first Bethesda game so I don't have much knowledge on their past output. But I would fucking love to see all of that make it into Starfield.

Jan 6, 2022
ZiH9yNJ.png

I pulled this from the excellent frame by frame breakdown linked earlier in the thread. Is it dumb to assume that May 7 may be the new release date in 2023?

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020

John points out the gameplay first person shots were 4K with no AA but the cinematic shots did have AA and he's not sure why exactly. Probably just WIP

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
Has there been any talk on how water will work in the game? Like can there be ocean planets where you're mostly exploring underwater, or things along those lines?

This just made me realize how amazing the beautiful Bethesda ragdolls are going to be once you start messing with gravity.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Has there been any talk on how water will work in the game? Like can there be ocean planets where you're mostly exploring underwater, or things along those lines?

This just made me realize how amazing the beautiful Bethesda ragdolls are going to be once you start messing with gravity.
Neon is in an ocean planet

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
They really upped their visuals compared to FO76/FO4.

This game is super ambitious when you consider how long they've been working on it and how many people are working on it compared to their previous projects.
The animations have taken an overhaul since fallout 4 and look great

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
I'm kind of disappointed that there isn't much Starship Troopers talk alongside this. Both look like they're likely close in the human race timeline. Plus, lots of bug looking creatures in the gameplay reveal.

Mods will no doubt make some Starship Troopers content.

Some did, as in it was derivative of Starship Troopers. But that's forgetting that a lot of previous BGS games had big enemy bug like creatures in them anyway.

Oct 12, 2020
I've been staying away a lot more from Era and some other sites because it's pretty toxic and I'm too old for that shit.

The game will do well. It's looks fantastic and is what I wanted.

Well, one obvious troll was already banned based on their behaviour in this excellent Starfield thread…it's just a matter of all of us being determined to keep it that way.

Doesn't mean the game can't be critiqued - the frame rate needs some work - but the obvious trolling drive bys are easy enough to spot.

Don't just ignore, report if necessary.

AImalexia

Prophet of Truth
Aug 31, 2021
It'd be really cool if we could get out of our ship in space to explore the wreckages of ships we destroy in 0G. They haven't shown anything like that but since they have 0 gravity segments it doesn't seem that hard to implement

Kvothe Ctaeh

Sep 29, 2020
Someone mentioned here that this looks like an official The Expanse game and good lord it couldn't have been more apt. Straight to my veins.

Kvothe Ctaeh

Sep 29, 2020
I'm just absolutely hyped for the modding potential in this game. Imagine an entire modded planet with its own set of stories and everything

Oct 12, 2020
Someone mentioned here that this looks like an official The Expanse game and good lord it couldn't have been more apt. Straight to my veins.

Makes sense since both things, Starfield and The Expanse, occur in a timeline just a few decades apart from one another. They have a similar technology vibe to me. Can't wait for the Rocinante to appear. 😊

Green

Oct 27, 2017
This snippet blew my mind. I did NOT expect a Bethesda game to have fights as dynamic as this haha

I think gravity is going to be an interesting element in the game. The first time the demo player jumped as they were working their way down the hillside, they didn't use the jetpack and they jumped quite high. Also, you see the planets have different gravity in the galaxy view and some references to that in some skills here and there.

So would be interesting to have that effect the gameplay, too. I think it will, clearly.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
I do hope we see more impressive space stations though. The ones we've seen have been decidedly too close to current reality. Especially compared to even the space ships and many of the buildings. I want to see an asteroid station like Eros, or a large, fancy station like Tycho. Maybe even a big colony ship like the Nauvoo. The planet stuff is whatever, I want them to really flesh out space.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They knew what they were doing with the 1000 planets thing…

…ensuring 10 years of active modding support.