• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What did you think of Starfield?

• It looked Great

Votes: 1,128 22.9%
  • It looked Good

Votes: 1,108 22.5%
  • It looked Ok

Votes: 1,488 30.2%
  • It looked Bad

Votes: 613 12.4%
  • No Man's Skyrim

Votes: 595 12.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
Let's just run the gamut and get a fantasy world with magic user inhabitants. Mini Elder Scrolls and Fallout nods lol

I'm down to clown in Elder Scroll alien town lol.

Yeah it's interesting.

Era seems to operate on the boom or bust mentality that any rando release is either GOAT or utter crap.

There isn't much wiggle room between the two and it feels like it creates this myopic & toxic approach to general evaluation.

Starfield very well could be an 8 - 8.5 release and for those receptive to the unique BGS brand of game design, that could be more than enough to offer years of enjoyment. Could be a 7-average thing and do the exact same for the right audience.

But for some reason the compulsion to cubbyhole the medium into strict winners & losers makes so many miss out on legit Must See TV experiences.

Maybe it's just a defense mechanism thing.

I agree, some people on Era just seem like they are down on a lot of games right off the bat. Happened in the LoUR thread as well. Some of it might be platform warring, some might be just people being overly negative.

Yeah I think most people who like previous BGS games will probably enjoy what Starfield has to offer. I just like exploring in Bethesda games. This seems to have that in abundance.

Corsick

Oct 27, 2017
I'm now wondering what it would be like for Bethesda to emulate Warhammer by having a 40k universe and a medieval age type universe going concurrently.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
big oof... looks like a poor man's No Man's Sky, no thanks. actually glad now they scrapped the PS5 version, dont even want it polluting my lovely console, lol!

just kidding, of course i want to play it more than anything, absolutely loved Oblivion/Skyrim/FO4/FO76.. even with the jank, i have high tolerance. more of that in space is the dream for me. i guess i gotta really upgrade my pc to even run this monster... how are gaming laptops these days, can i easily run this game on one through my tv and play with a pad, maybe even the DualSense..? if Sony officially supports it on pc that would be amazing. absolutely no way in hell would i play a game like this with a mouse/kb... Xbox controller would be fine i guess too, just gotta learn to use it.
A laptop with an R7 5800H and RTX 3060 would easily play Starfield. On paper, and please stress the "on paper" so I don't get jumped, the 3060 isn't far behind the PS5's GPU in performance.

With the Xbox Series S existing as the baseline for performance, midrange PC GPUs are going to last a long time. That's what happens when thee weakest console is slower than even the 1660 Ti.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think most people who like previous BGS games will probably enjoy what Starfield has to offer. I just like exploring in Bethesda games. This seems to have that in abundance.

Yuup.

Feels like in spite of record sales and generally positive reception over the decades, BGS has a double hill to climb on Era.

There was always that vocal minority here that felt the need to dump on them at every turn, much like a jilted lover. But then when you throw exclusivity into the mix, well. We know how that "I never liked you anyway" song & dance goes.

It's all good though. You'd have to be medically diagnosed as blind not to see the fidelity leap from F4 to SF. And for those signed up for the unique brand of BGS sandbox exploration, that should be more than enough to encourage optimism.

Guess there's still unknowns regarding writing & story progression. We can cross our fingers and hope for the best. But the basic fundamentals look solid enough for studio fans.

Like I said, for the right person 7-9 review average would be just fine for Starfield. Genre fans know what they're getting into. They know it comes with caveats. They also know BGS offers a unique experience virtually unparallel in the space.

I'm personally hyped af. I know it won't look as good as GoW or play as well as Destiny. But ultimately that's not what I'm here for. It'd be great if it had all that, but I value sandbox immersion and gameplay freedom over those elements personally.

BGS ain't perfect, but damn if they aren't perfect at delivering a wholly unique gameplay loop few have rivaled over the decades.

And that sounds just fine.

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
I have a theory that the "landing points" are the parts of the planet that are hand crafted. Like the one they showed off at the beginning of the demo, and any city/settlement with lots of NPCs.
But in order to do this, they would have to "rope you off" from the rest of the planet, since the hand crafted parts and the procedural parts would probably be hard to mesh.
This would also lend credence to the idea that you cannot fly "in atmo", and that landing is always a cutscene. They may also rope you off on procedural landing spots, but that probably depends on how they're storing / generating the planets. Because otherwise, how would they prevent you from landing right next to a "hand-crafted" area, and then just walking over to it?

From the little I've poked at under the hood of the Creation engine and modding, this seems like the most logical way to handle letting you land on the entire planet.

The game seams to be going for a hard-sci fi vibe so I guess that the handcrafted locations will be things like colonies, outposts etc, with the rest of the planet uncharted (aka procedurally generated). Essentially handcrafted dungeons surrounded by procedurally generated terrain.

You could still funnel players into set pieces if they can only land on specific landing pads while in urban areas, but allow them to freely land anywhere they want in the wild.

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
There are definitely things that looked good (and I enjoyed Fallout 4 - modded that is) but I echo the sentiment that I don't trust Bethesda to ship out a game that runs well at release. Guaranteed it'll be fun, after a ton of patches and mods lol

Crazy Steve

Oct 27, 2017
Guaranteed it'll be fun, after a ton of patches and mods lol
There is only one way to save this game:

hMDy2j.png

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
Yuup.

Feels like in spite of record sales and generally positive reception over the decades, BGS has a double hill to climb on Era.

There was always that vocal minority here that felt the need to dump on them at every turn, much like a jilted lover. But then when you throw exclusivity into the mix, well. We know how that "I never liked you anyway" song & dance goes.

It's all good though. You'd have to be medically diagnosed as blind not to see the fidelity leap from F4 to SF. And for those signed up for the unique brand of BGS sandbox exploration, that should be more than enough to encourage optimism.

Guess there's still unknowns regarding writing & story progression. We can cross our fingers and hope for the best. But the basic fundamentals look solid enough for studio fans.

Like I said, for the right person 7-9 review average would be just fine for Starfield. Genre fans know what they're getting into. They know it comes with caveats. They also know BGS offers a unique experience virtually unparallel in the space.

I'm personally hyped af. I know it won't look as good as GoW or play as well as Destiny. But ultimately that's not what I'm here for. It'd be great if it had all that, but I value sandbox immersion and gameplay freedom over those elements personally.

BGS ain't perfect, but damn if they aren't perfect at delivering a wholly unique gameplay loop few have rivaled over the decades.

And that sounds just fine.

You're not wrong, and it's funny that a lot of the apathy and hyperbole has come from posters that are primarily Sony fans. Obviously I'm not saying people can't be critical, but at least put your bias aside. Not all are platform warring, but there's definitely an element of that going on. The same thing happens with some Xbox fans with Sony first party games too. Some grown people just like to console war.

Yeah the graphics and animations and especially the ambition are all definitely a step up from FO4. For a game of this scale, and everything it's doing, I think it looks amazing.

I'm hyped for the game too, I always put hundreds of hours in to Bethesda games. I can't wait to see what the community does with mods as well.

TheGameshark

Oct 27, 2017
Catonsville, MD
Looked incredibly rough honestly so hopefully they aren't going to rush it out the door. Gunplay and the combat encounters looked horrendous. The ship customization and space exploration, as well as mods is without a doubt the most enticing thing for me right now.

Vidpixel

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm curious just how in-depth the space ship stuff is. I'm hoping there's a lot of systems in place you have to take into account like the pic above implies, would make building and constructing them way more interesting to me.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has put in hundreds of hours into No Man's Sky since launch, I was surprised to see how much Starfield bit off of NMS. I didn't know much about what Starfield was supposed to be, but I really wasn't expecting that. I guess the reality is just that NMS has had a huge impact on space-based games.

There were things I thought were cool -- like the extensive ship building, and hirable crews (something I've wanted in NMS for ages) -- and things that were not so cool, like the boring space combat and well...that Bethesda wonkiness. The procedural algorithms for the terrain generation look really nice, and more diverse than NMS in some ways. Not sure about the flora and fauna, but suspect they'll be pre-baked instead of procedural. But I also think exploration will suffer the same issues that NMS does without more moment-to-moment surprises and exploration goals. Maybe it will have that, but if they're populating a 1000 planets with content, I'm skeptical.

From a gameplay perspective it looks like they combined Skyrim, Fallout, and NMS. I'm not sure the end result will be enjoyable, but I'm glad that they're trying it.

My burning question (that no one else cares about) is how long their day-night cycle will be. NMS's day length is 20 minutes, truly pitiful considering how big the planets are.

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
This game imo has a lot of potential to take advantage of using the Cloud by generating planets at high detail. In theory, you could have an infinite amount of planets.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I missed out on voting (not really sure why the poll is closed already) but I thought it looked pretty damn awesome. It still looked like a Bethesda game for sure but this is the most impressed I've been by a look at a Bethesda game since 2010/2011.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Am I one of the only ones that is stoked for the potential of empty planets? I hate trend of space games putting everything on every planet. Give me barren wastelands dammit.

Nope. Me too. I never was bugged too much by what nms was missing when it came out but that is one thing I was disappointed with. Sean at one point promised finding a planet with life would be rare. Instead finding a planet without life is rare. I was looking forward to being excited when I found a planet with life. It's just not as exciting with the reverse, finding the odd planet without life. It makes the more interesting planets a lot more exciting to find and explore. In fact I'd argue nms made a mistake by not keeping that promise. People would probably complain less each planet feels the same cause it would be more exciting to even find that planet with life and that was different from most others.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
My burning question (that no one else cares about) is how long their day-night cycle will be. NMS's day length is 20 minutes, truly pitiful considering how big the planets are.

I care too!

I believe Skyrim and Fallout 4 ran at x20 Speed, so 72 Minutes in a full 24 Hours.

I think it's 1 minute in real life is 20 minutes in game. So like 72 minutes is one day.

But to add to your question...do other planets have different Day-Night Cycles!?

Also, NMS's Day is actually 30 Minutes...which is still shockingly low.

ragolliangatan

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2019
Nope. Me too. I never was bugged too much by what nms was missing when it came out but that is one thing I was disappointed with. Sean at one point promised finding a planet with life would be rare. Instead finding a planet without life is rare. I was looking forward to being excited when I found a planet with life. It's just not as exciting with the reverse, finding the odd planet without life. It makes the more interesting planets a lot more exciting to find and explore. In fact I'd argue nms made a mistake by not keeping that promise. People would probably complain less each planet feels the same cause it would be more exciting to even find that planet with life and that was different from most others.

I think the exciting part for me about finding a planet with no life- is that you can be the first explorer to place roots there and build an outpost.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I don't really understand how so many people believe for the essential things that have not been shown, instead of the one that's are there.

I don't think we will have planetary landings by hand, or even fully explorable planets at all, because they've surely would have shown it and not wildly cut between space/planet environments. Same with landing anywhere instead of fixed points if interest. They've also only shown your outpost on a separate, limited place, so I'll fully expect this to be the case. They haven't shown any multiplayer despite having the chance multiple times, so it's likely not gonna be in. Same to cool and special looking planets, random cities and structures, that sort of stuff, or any extended sim like gameplay.

The more i watch it, honestly, the more I miss the incredible coherent and interesting landscaping of Skyrim and even Oblivion/Morrowind, but I never was a fallout fan to begin with.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
As someone who has put in hundreds of hours into No Man's Sky since launch, I was surprised to see how much Starfield bit off of NMS. I didn't know much about what Starfield was supposed to be, but I really wasn't expecting that. I guess the reality is just that NMS has had a huge impact on space-based games.
While I'm sure they've taken a good long look at how NMS accomplished various things, I don't think Starfield exists in this format (1,000 open world planets) because of NMS. Multiple star systems with proc-gen planets and moons was always my assumption for how a Bethesda space game would play out, because they lean hard into the sim and sandbox elements in their games. It's not much of a space sandbox without space exploration. And plenty of other space games over the years have taken this approach too. NMS might be the first to have accomplished planetary entry without loading screens though? Or maybe that was Elite Dangerous, I'm not sure. Still curious to see how Starfield is approaching this if you can land anywhere but they haven't confirmed seamless atmospheric entry is in the game yet.
Yes! Definitely. I think it's really important to have the majority of planets/moons as lifeless. They'll still be filling a role as resource points. They'll still have POIs like smuggler outposts and crashed ships etc. We'll also be able to construct bases anywhere we take a liking to it seems. But mostly I think it's important they fill a role as, essentially, detailed and more interactive skyboxes, selling the scope of the game. I hope the flight model is fun because Star Citizen has demonstrated really well how enjoyable barren worlds can still be when you're flying between POIs:

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Same with landing anywhere instead of fixed points if interest. They've also only shown your outpost on a separate, limited place, so I'll fully expect this to be the case.

The exact wording is "you can land and explore anywhere on [a] planet." They then rotated the planet. The implication is pretty clear.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I hope they go crazy with planets and there isn't just normal types like "sand" and "snow" etc etc. Like have ones with crazy gravitational effects, or ones that are completely barren on top but below there is a massive ocean full of life that you need to drill into to access. Have gas giants where you get to fly a little mini ship to explore or ones with very little gravity so you can leap about. Or where it rains lava or has lakes of methane etc etc. Just go crazy.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
I don't really understand how so many people believe for the essential things that have not been shown, instead of the one that's are there.

I don't think we will have planetary landings by hand, or even fully explorable planets at all, because they've surely would have shown it and not wildly cut between space/planet environments. Same with landing anywhere instead of fixed points if interest. They've also only shown your outpost on a separate, limited place, so I'll fully expect this to be the case. They haven't shown any multiplayer despite having the chance multiple times, so it's likely not gonna be in. Same to cool and special looking planets, random cities and structures, that sort of stuff, or any extended sim like gameplay.

The more i watch it, honestly, the more I miss the incredible coherent and interesting landscaping of Skyrim and even Oblivion/Morrowind, but I never was a fallout fan to begin with.
It could be because we watched the gameplay demonstration that confirmed most of these things? On landing anywhere and fully exploring planets, here's the timestamped part where Todd confirms that's in for every planet in the game (13m9s if the timestamp doesn't work for you):

Regarding base building anywhere rather than the conclusion you jumped to that it's limited to a single area just because they only showed one area, you can see throughout the demo when the scanner is used there is an option to place an outpost, along with the number 30 in brackets which potentially suggests a current cap of 30 outposts? Timestamp 2m47s in the above video if you want to check.

On random cities and structures: Why would you want random cities? The game has multiple cities, and showcased them here. Random meaning proc-gen cities? Hand built cities are what most people wanted here so that they're all integrated well into the lore, economy, galactic politics etc and referenced consistently by NPCs, quests etc. It would be odd for entire cities to exist without reference. But for random structures, like smuggler outposts, mining operations, space stations, etc I'm sure a lot of those are in (many shown in the video), likely serving as "dungeons" in a lot of cases.

On cool and special looking planets, just look at the montage right at the end of the video. They had desert coral-like rocks, crystalline formations, giant fricking dinos in tropical environments. Maybe that does nothing for you, and that's fine, but for a grounded approach to space where most planets will be rocky, it looks like there's still a lot of unique stuff going on here waiting to be discovered.

Planetary entry they haven't shown, for sure, but I don't think anyone here is saying it's definitely in. A lot of discussion has been around whether it will be or not, and how they might solve landing anywhere without it (which we know is in). Multiplayer, unlikely, they've said all along it's a singleplayer RPG. Shocking revelation for a BGS RPG.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I care too!

I believe Skyrim and Fallout 4 ran at x20 Speed, so 72 Minutes in a full 24 Hours.

But to add to your question...do other planets have different Day-Night Cycles!?

Also, NMS's Day is actually 30 Minutes...which is still shockingly low.

Ah thanks for the correction, but yeah I think NMS just copied Minecraft's day length. Which makes sense for that game's gameplay loop, but not so much when you're just wandering around a planet that's hundreds of square miles big. And yes, a very good followup question!

While I'm sure they've taken a good long look at how NMS accomplished various things, I don't think Starfield exists in this format (1,000 open world planets) because of NMS. Multiple star systems with proc-gen planets and moons was always my assumption for how a Bethesda space game would play out, because they lean hard into the sim and sandbox elements in their games. It's not much of a space sandbox without space exploration. And plenty of other space games over the years have taken this approach too. NMS might be the first to have accomplished planetary entry without loading screens though? Or maybe that was Elite Dangerous, I'm not sure. Still curious to see how Starfield is approaching this if you can land anywhere but they haven't confirmed seamless atmospheric entry is in the game yet.

Well sure, after all NMS was heavily influenced by the old procedurally generated '80s Elite game. But when I saw my dude bust out their mining laser to blast some rocks, it was hard not to see the inspiration behind some parts of Starfield. And Todd Howard has chatted probably more than once with Sean about NMS even prior to that game's release and had very kind things to say. And NMS sort of revolutionized space games with their techniques for procedurally generating 3D planets and yeah, seamless entry from space to a planet's surface. I don't think it's a negative and I'm sure Hello Games wouldn't be bothered by it, but it's hard not to see the influences.

Jan 9, 2018
Oh no. I am shocked. Doesn't look great. Bland Outer Worlds.
I thought it looked OK, but it indeed gave me a very "oh, is outer worlds but grey" vibes.

The gunplay seemed bad, but let's see how the building and space-combat mechanics are. There could be something really nice there (dreaming is free and I'll check it on game pass)

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Got to have been XSX given the sub-30fps framerate. If they were showing it on PC they could have brute forced the framerate with a 3090 or something.

Probably although you never know with Bethesda games. It looks like they pushed out LoD very far, stuff like that can still tank a 3090 if not optimised. But yeah, if they were just using a 3090 they could get a good balance with performance. With the Series X, if they want to push the visual side, they might be stuck with pretty poor performance given the current state of optimisation. Anyway, I was impressed with what I saw. I think it looks much less boring and more vibrant than Fallout 4 at least.

Feb 16, 2022
I feel like there's a weirdly palpable amount of defensiveness ITT, more than there has been in any other games in recent memory. I liked FO4 more than most people did, so I'm not bothered by Bethesda jank or graphics, it's just the way the seem to approach exploration that has me hesitant. Especially Todd choosing to highlight "1000 planets" as the seemingly major selling point. It tells me they either have got their priorities all wrong or mistakenly thought their playerbase would prefer quantity to quality.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing that if you download it on PC via Gamepass you won't be able to mod it? To mod it would I have to buy it off Steam once mods start being made available?

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
I'm guessing that if you download it on PC via Gamepass you won't be able to mod it? To mod it would I have to buy it off Steam once mods start being made available?
Pretty sure Microsoft have been working hard to overhaul this issue with Game Pass on PC and allow for full file modification. Not sure if the fix is live yet or still in beta, but I get the feeling Starfield was a big motivator for the update =P I'm sure it will be solved by the time the game releases, if it's not already.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Watched the 4K vod on an OLED instead of 1080p streamed to a laptop. Looks pretty gosh darn good. I enjoy the space ground textures and geometry. It's gonna be fun hanging around in space.

I think they've started to open up modding, but that it's still in some kind of open beta state

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
My biggest question is how big the worlds will be. I can't imagine them being to scale, or even as big as a No Man's Sky planet, but who knows.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
I expect the 1000 planets to basically have a similar place in the game as the landable ones in the original Mass Effect. Basically they be there to make the universe feel big as well as side activities like the outpost building and resource gathering. I'm sure they'll be some cool stuff hidden in them though. The main game would take place mainly in the hand crafted areas.

One of the things I'm curious about is if they want this huge amount of land mass because of more ambitious plans for modding? If each planet essentially runs independently then it could allow for essentially 1000 huge "mod slots" with far less compatibility issues to worry about.

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I expect the 1000 planets to basically have a similar place in the game as the landable ones in the original Mass Effect. Basically they be there to make the universe feel big as well as side activities like the outpost building and resource gathering. I'm sure they'll be some cool stuff hidden in them though. The main game would take place mainly in the hand crafted areas.

One of the things I'm curious about is if they want this huge amount of land mass because of more ambitious plans for modding? If each planet essentially runs independently then it could allow for essentially 1000 huge "mod slots" with far less compatibility issues to worry about.
That's about what I'm expecting.

Bio Booster Armoire

Prophet of Truth
Apr 21, 2020
Looked alright. I think it needs to be pushed back more probably and they need to consult with id on gunplay.

They helped out on FO4, so it's safe to assume they had some input on Starfield. I actually thought the gunplay in the latter was really solid, especially when you got hold of some better, customised weapons, so I'm not too worried about Starfield.

I really want to see melee combat - that's the one area I would like to see Beth give a serious mechanical overhaul.

Bitterman

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
I wish they had shown footage of a ship just casually drifting around in space, zeroing in on a planet, enetering the atmosphere and landing on its surface. I hope they are able to make this all seamless and load-screen-less