• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What did you think of Starfield?

• It looked Great

Votes: 1,128 22.9%
  • It looked Good

Votes: 1,108 22.5%
  • It looked Ok

Votes: 1,488 30.2%
  • It looked Bad

Votes: 613 12.4%
  • No Man's Skyrim

Votes: 595 12.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AppleMIX

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
It seems like people are mad that a Bethesda games looks like a Bethesda game.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
It looked stunning to me, the gameplay looked great. Visually it obviously has more work to do as its over a year out, but the systems, customisation, ship, dialogue and exploration looks superb to me. The demo floored me.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looked solid, space combat looked boring, but otherwise this looks exactly like the story and gameplay focused version of no man's sky I wanted it to be.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Haven't seen the demo yet since I'm at work, but looking at the comments it seems like it's super underwhelming lol.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Really worried about the open world experience falling short in Starfield compared to the last two games.

1000 planets? Not what I wanted to hear from Bethesda. Theres no way that ends well.

Richi

May 15, 2021
Faces weren't the strength of NRS. So, they worked on doing them better. Now their games have some of the best faces. Their animations are getting better too. To the point where I suspect the next NRS game will have genuinely good animations.

That's what you are supposed to do when you find out you have a crippling weakness... work on it.

Meh. I don't suspect gunplay is the reason people buy Bethesda games, and I don't really need Destiny shooting mechanics to enjoy the game.

The-JUV

Oct 25, 2017
Really worried about the open world experience falling short in Starfield compared to the last two games.

1000 planets? Not what I wanted to hear from Bethesda. Theres no way that ends well.

this is my fear as well, I would have much rather preferred 10 massive and fully fleshed our world's to explore. Hope I am wrong but I feel there will probably be a tonne of repetitious content with 1000 worlds to explore.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, are there no other sentient species? Weird choice, especially for a space game.

Last edited:

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Went from ok to great as the demo went on. The combat kind of just looked like more Fallout. Functional but not terribly exciting. Only interesting part was when those creatures did not attack. But I'm quite into all the hub world, building and spaceship stuff.

I hope the dialog system is more interesting than Fallout 4's and the story gives you more agency beyond playing factions. They didn't really go into that at all. Which gives me the impression that maybe there's something substantial in that area that they want to hold off showing for a future showcase. Or it's currently all WIP jankbuggy and they didn't have time to do an E3 thing about it.

I'm tentatively optimistic about the scope. Seems likely that these hundreds of worlds will be largely barren procedural nothing worlds. I'm not sold on "there's oodles of landmass" as a selling point. But it feels like if it's just something that's there in addition to the crafted locations, then that's fine I guess. The fact that you can go to that space mountain could add a sense of freedom. And it's possible that they'll manage to sprinkle some interesting worthwhile stuff around various planets. Or maybe they'll figure out some mechanic or design or atmosphere or something you can do out there that's enjoyable or engaging.

Last edited:

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It seems like people are mad that a Bethesda games looks like a Bethesda game.
The funny thing is that yes, it has that signature Bethesda feel, but it looks miles better and more ambitious than any Bethesda game ever made.

Many people decided they weren't going to like this game a long time ago.

Hibiki

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like it has potential, but some of it was rough. I think they need to put that engine out of it's misery and just adopt a 3rd party one.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think people really realize what planetary scale means. Even if it was one planet and they had hundreds of people toiling away for decades, the amount of procedural surface with nothing to see would round to 100%. Going from 1 to 1000 planets doesn't change that, though there's obviously a lot of extra work to give them all sufficiently unique biomes.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Need someone to clear this question up: How does space travel work? Do you travel to different planets from a menu or can you actually fly there through quantum travel a la Star Citizen? Also is atmospheric entry in? Gotta rewatch the footage.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
...so... any hopes they will be able to get to run this at 60 fps on XSX? Seems like it had issues with 30 in the presentation.
I have yet to play a current-gen game at anything but 60 fps (the one exception being that I'm playing the PS4 version of Elden Ring on my PS5 to obtain 60 fps).

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
Seems ambitious. Good thing they delayed it, however, framerate looked less than stable to say the least.

Sambumbia-PR

Banned
Dec 23, 2017
"damn, they modded guns and no man sky into skyrim. cool"

Cynicism aside, this looked mid. That framerate was fucked too.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I bet this will have some insane mods.
There will 100% be mods for ship parts that let you build ships from every major sci-fi franchise.

Not sure how big your ship can get (probably not much bigger than the footage showed if you need to be able to land and do combat in it), but there's still plenty of iconic small to mid-sized ones you could fit in this game.
  • The Defiant from Star Trek or the Delta Flyer
  • Millennium Falcon obviously, and a hundred other Star Wars ships
  • The smaller Stargate pyramid ships
  • The Red Dwarf Starbug
  • GOTG Milano
And if the mods are broken into part packs, you'd be able to mix and match which could lead to some hilarious monstrosities, haha.

{Marvelous}

Jan 2, 2018
Looked like Fallout 4 mostly, more so than I expected. Hopefully the people that excited for this are satisfied when it comes out though.

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I'm actually ok with the idea o 1000 planets. Even if procedural and "barren".

To me, space is vast emptiness of interestingly barren planets and moons. I'm more than fine jumping from one to another every half hour just for the scenery and some resources.

I platinumed the OEM barebones original release of no man's sky. It was brilliant for the fact it embraced the exploration aspect of the nothingness of space.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
bought a series S 3-4 months ago specifically for Starfield and was choked to learn shortly after it got delayed, but honestly after seeing the footage today I am hoping it's latter half of 2023 as it didn't look as visually impressive as I was hoping for,
I did the same. TBH I'm more worried about the Series S being able to even run it at locked 30 based on that footage.

Deleted member 22002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The game itself seems interesting, but boy that 30 fps milestone seems so far...

I will likely buy it, but no preorder for this one.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
Finished rewatching in 4K. I have big soft spot for sci fi and I finally get a good scifi game without horror. Just walking around my ship will be amazing.
my most anticipated game now. I wish I hadn't watched the reveal and went dark now. lol

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
looks like the typical jank fest you get with bethesda games

...and I can't wait to get my hands on it

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
Cool it's on Gamepass so I can try it anyways but nothing about this is interesting to me.

Fallout 4 sucked and this looks like that but with 1000+ planets.

Avantgarde

Oct 27, 2017
I wish they showed the takeoff and landing done manually from the cockpit. I'd hate to press a 'takeoff' or 'land' button and watch the sequence being automated. Landing anywhere I want would be integal part of my enjoyment, hopefully with partially destructible buildings. I'd gladly pay for repairs to have this freedom of manually trying things, failing and crashing. So, the question is, can I crash the damned ship or it has plot armor?

ShiftyCow

Nov 4, 2017
Need someone to clear this question up: How does space travel work? Do you travel to different planets from a menu or can you actually fly there through quantum travel a la Star Citizen? Also is atmospheric entry in?
Seems to me that you can fly there but then you choose where on the planet you want to land (which can be anywhere) and then land in a cutscene.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Gimme gimme gimme.

I hope going to different planets is similar to something like Elite Dangerous, no cutscenes, fly manually down to the planet.

Sambo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Its a good thing this is coming out in 2023, looks like it needs a lot more time in the oven!