• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
My partner and I picked up our old map that we hadn't played in a year, Spring Y3, and we have been just diving in like everything is brand new. It's just the best game -- it's one of only a handful of games she enjoys and really the only one we play together, and the game itself just gets better and better every year.

The mod scene is great too. I have not touched any new content style mods, but there are some great mods that smooth out quality of life issues and seemlessly fit into the game. SVE and the like will be there waiting for me once I've had my fill of base game content, which is awesome.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Do pigs look better? Saw the note mentioned touching up some art... and I've seen in interviews he expressed he wished he made pigs cuter.... did he?

Edit:
They don't look changed. :(

mod time.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I've been playing this + SVE with my GF and wow. It's like a whole new game. I think the last time I played was when the console versions dropped

Oct 27, 2017
Ok I just finished reading the full update notes.

HOLY SHIT

Stardew has to be one of the best games ever made.
There is so much new and changed here that it will feel like a new game for the THIRD time!

I did notice a possible mega nerf: Trees can no longer be planted on surfaces they can't grow on .
Or something similar. Uhhhh does this mean no more planting 15 or whatever fruit trees on the tile in the greenhouse? If so...I get it lol but wow that's a nerf!!

Im about to start a new play through. One thing I wish was added is bigger farm maps - that's one thing from Stardew Valley Expanded that I will miss a lot. The default farms are a bit claustrophobic after playing the SVE forest farm lol.

Anyways, if I could nominate Stardew as GOTY for 2020 due to this massive update - I would!! <3
When you say 3 rd play through, I thought this game was never one to be beaten?

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
awesome. is the new grandpa's map the best to play atm?
I think if you're just starting out, the newest map is hard to work with in terms of making money and completing the community center. I really enjoy the new map, but it's a lot harder to work with since you can't use sprinklers on most of it. I always like either the default map or the four corners map. I'm having fun with my beach map playthrough, but it doesn't quite fit with how I play the game usually.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
When you say 3 rd play through, I thought this game was never one to be beaten?

i play each time until I feel "done"
Usually 100-150 hours.
I'm at 90 hours now on 1.5 and Stardew Valley Expanded and about to start year 3. Still having a blast and no end in sight.

There isn't really an end that I know of, just some milestones you can call good stopping points if you are feeling it.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Woop got the update ready to go and going to start a new farm, as missed a lot of updates and a basically maxed out farm is kinda boring. Any recommended farm layouts? My last was just default.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Just downloading on Switch.

Not played in a couple years but feeling the itch lately. Stardew worked for me in a way that the latest Animal Crossing didn't, anybody else find that?

TwiceNightly

Dec 13, 2017
Still can't buy this game on the PS Store in Europe unfortunately, it got taken down and has been down for months.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Just downloading on Switch.

Not played in a couple years but feeling the itch lately. Stardew worked for me in a way that the latest Animal Crossing didn't, anybody else find that?

Animal Crossing never quite scratched that HM/SV itch for me. NH was the first I put a solid amount of hours to (60h), but when you're done with the new buildings, the game kind of feels pointless. SV has so much content i never managed to do everything and keep going back to it, and it even gets bulky updates like this that add so much.

I love this game.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Loaded up my old save on my Switch. I'm already on year 3 Spring but what's are some efficient ways of making money?

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Animal Crossing never quite scratched that HM/SV itch for me. NH was the first I put a solid amount of hours to (60h), but when you're done with the new buildings, the game kind of feels pointless. SV has so much content i never managed to do everything and keep going back to it, and it even gets bulky updates like this that add so much.

I love this game.
Honestly the SV content updates absolutely put Animal Crossing to shame

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Loaded up my old save on my Switch. I'm already on year 3 Spring but what's are some efficient ways of making money?
During the first year potatoes and blueberries will make you rich (and exhausted every night). After that the goal is more to find a routine that doesn't bored you and gives you some time to improve your stats and discover everything the game has to offer, because anything produced regularly will give you money, but requirements and maintenance aren't equal. The best IMO is to have a main source of income that doesn't require much investment and time - doesn't matter if it's not the maximum you could earn - and do a bit of everything.

viandante

Apr 24, 2020
never played this but my partner is a big fan and we have it on switch..

can anyone pitch me on the split screen play? would we both be working on the same farm at the same time? like "you go harvest the sweet potatoes while i go fishing!" ? is it fun in co-op?

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone on Switch having issues with freezing/pauses during CO-OP play (including a splitscreen, local, and online). Both of us are having freezings are intermittent points, multiple times per in-game day. It is quite jarring, especially when you're in the mines, because it can occur over a second or more at times. Sometimes, it causes the audio also freezes at whatever sound it was at.

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
Do I have to start a new game to enjoy this patch?

I haven't played for a few years (1.1 I think?) But don't really want to start since I already have a Year 7 ancient Berry wine farm.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
never played this but my partner is a big fan and we have it on switch..

can anyone pitch me on the split screen play? would we both be working on the same farm at the same time? like "you go harvest the sweet potatoes while i go fishing!" ? is it fun in co-op?
You share the same Farm Land, but pretty much everything else can be done individually if you want. Money can be pooled or split (assuming it's the same as online) so you can be neighbor farms if you prefer it over co-oping. All skills are character based so you have to get them up yourselves and can specialize in 1 while you partner does another or just do everything together. Community Goals and events are shared though. It's a fantastic game and I loved the little of co-op I've done, it's basically the same content as single player.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The best IMO is to have a main source of income that doesn't require much investment and time - doesn't matter if it's not the maximum you could earn - and do a bit of everything.

There what I'm looking for. Something I can invest my wealth in that will convert into easy money for the rest of my playtime.

Buy pigs and make truffle oil, build kegs and make pale ale out of hops. Ancient fruit in the greenhouse too if you have access to it.

Good to know. Thanks.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
My partner and I picked up our old map that we hadn't played in a year, Spring Y3, and we have been just diving in like everything is brand new. It's just the best game -- it's one of only a handful of games she enjoys and really the only one we play together, and the game itself just gets better and better every year.

The mod scene is great too. I have not touched any new content style mods, but there are some great mods that smooth out quality of life issues and seemlessly fit into the game. SVE and the like will be there waiting for me once I've had my fill of base game content, which is awesome.

As someone who hasn't played in a REALLY long time, how hard was it to jump back in to the end game?

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
I haven't played since 1.1 - is Slime Ranch worth it yet? I did a playthrough with it once and it was a massive hassle with very little payout.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
As someone who hasn't played in a REALLY long time, how hard was it to jump back in to the end game?
If you've completed the community center you can get right to the new end game content (you'll get a letter in the mail in a couple days). If you are starting fresh, completing the community center takes 1 to 2 in game years depending on how well you plan.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Wow so I loaded up my old game and I'm 30 hours in, first winter, I played with zero guidance and basically just spent my time. In the mines the whole time. Wtf do I do to get back into things

Oct 27, 2017
I posted it in the Trophy community thread, but I'll say it again here, in case anyone is interested:

This patch made getting the "Fector's Challenge" Trophy (beat Journey of the Prairie King without dying) a trivial, menial task, since now you can quit the mini-game and resume from where you left. That means you can now play the first level, get a good start, quit, save your game, try again. If you fail the challenge, reload your save and try again.

I got the Trophy the legit way last week. Yay.