• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Maile_rox

Oct 27, 2017
Man I just got bit by the sleeping crash again. Seems to be every time I go and spend a day in the skull cavern

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I'm on my 5th year and I've got a great farm going but I have a huge problem: early in the game, I dug out the dwarf scroll II and I just thought it was a duplicate of dwarf scroll I and sold it. In hundreds of hours of play, I still haven't been able to get another one. I've had dupes of other scrolls but not that one. Am I just screwed and need to totally restart? I don't know if I can face it :(

Maile_rox

Oct 27, 2017
I'm on my 5th year and I've got a great farm going but I have a huge problem: early in the game, I dug out the dwarf scroll II and I just thought it was a duplicate of dwarf scroll I and sold it. In hundreds of hours of play, I still haven't been able to get another one. I've had dupes of other scrolls but not that one. Am I just screwed and need to totally restart? I don't know if I can face it :(

Just keep trying. Try on lucky days. Just go in the mines and blow stuff up.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I haven't thought of trying on lucky days. I've spent countless hours in the mines trying to get another one though lol.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Once you invest hard into making wine its hard to go back since its such a big boom of money

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Just chiming in to say that I've triple-dipped on this game and it's incredible. Glad someone made an OT! :D

zasx

Oct 27, 2017
Thank god I've played this for 60+ hours and the game never crashed and i only got the noise bug once.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh that faster save on switch will be nice!

Has anyone beat JotPK? On lucky days the most I can get to is level 6, I wish it wasn't a trophy requirement.

Zevenberge

Oct 27, 2017
I've waited for this game to come out on the Switch. I'm leisurely playing through my first year. Halfway through the first summer, I'm really enjoying it. The genre is right up my alley. It's definitely two steps up from Harvest Moon, but it is nowhere in the same ballpark as Rune Factory. The farming is very good, the mining good and feeling of accomplishment is definitely there. So far I don't really enjoy the social contacts, though. The characters are pretty standard and one-dimensional as far as I can see and the amount of conversation options is kind of scarce. But I'm more enjoying the good things than being annoyed by the less good things.

Hey guys, in the next patch saving times will be much faster on the switch version!

Awesome. It's one of those small things that I've been wondering about. I mean, there are other games that need to cram a lot of data that are significantly faster than Stardew.

Oct 27, 2017
I've spent considerable time transforming my farm, especially laying cobblestone paths. However, every day I wake up and find things growing over my paths, meaning I have to craft and place new cobblestone tiles.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there anything I can do to stop my paths being destroyed?

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
I've spent considerable time transforming my farm, especially laying cobblestone paths. However, every day I wake up and find things growing over my paths, meaning I have to craft and place new cobblestone tiles.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there anything I can do to stop my paths being destroyed?

Keep grass and weeds away from that area, as they can spread, or you can build a fence around your crops/paths that you don't want to be overrun.

I only have two more items I need for the community center which I should be able to get this next season and I'm currently deciding on who to marry. What else do I need to accomplish to get
grandpa's approval?
The best house upgrade?

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Lifetime Harvest Moon fanatic, just got the game on the Switch. On day 3, this looks fucking amazing. I chose the riverland farm, any advice for a SV newbie who may be stuck in old HM habits and controls?

I can't speak to it in relation to HM, but general beginner tips:
- Put all your money into crops in the beginning; be mindful of how long crops take to grow as each season only has 28 days.
- Gather wood for the bridge on the south beach as the foraged items (Coral etc) are good for making money early on.
- Rain = free day. Generally I'll go to the mines or fish since I don't have to focus on crops. Just don't die in the mines.
- 2AM is a hard deadline for each day. Any later and you'll pass out and lose money/items.
- Play the game how you want. There is no endgame, so you can focus on relationships after you have a good income going (generally end of year 1.)
- Be mindful of which items you need for the Community Center. A lot of items are seasonal and if you miss certain things you'll need to wait until next year.

Theres a ton more tips but I'm tired lol.
The Stardew Valley Wiki is an indispensable resource. I only look up things I'm wondering about specifically to minimize spoilers.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
What's the best fruit (i.e. most valuable) to turn into wine? Ancient fruit?

Spoilers for the scoring event at the end of year 2;
It's a point based system rather than a checklist. You get a certain number of points for money earned (not on hand, earned overall), skills unlocked, friendship rating with a spouse / townsfolk / pet, achievements (all fish, all artifacts, shipped one of all items), community center completion and the two keys you can find. You can earn up to 21 points, but only need 12 or more to get the best result (four candles).

You don't have to do everything, just enough.

Wine prices are 3 × Base Fruit Value, looks like it's gonna be Starfruit at 4500g per iridium-quality (fully aged) bottle (6300g if you have the Artisan profession skill). 2250g for just a regular, unaged bottle.

Having said that, Ancient Fruit will produce fruit every 7 days once mature, and will grow in Spring, Summer and Autumn (Starfruit is summer only, though obviously the greenhouse can produce year round), so while the wine is worth less (1650g base, 3300g iridium quality) you also don't have to worry about replanting.

This, I haven't found ancient fruit but my green house is 80% star fruit 20% other stuff. I'm thinking about letting my green house "clear out" so I can plant all/only my star fruit at the same time so they harvest at the same time.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
Star Fruit doesn't grow back after you harvest it though, right? So you'd have to keep creating seeds for it.

Oct 27, 2017
What is the trick to stockpiling hay? At the beginning I cut all the grass on my farm and even planted and cut more grass, yet I've run out of hay for my four chickens and two cows. There doesn't seem to be nearly enough grass around to collect masses of hay.

I want to expand my livestock but if I can't feed what I've already got there doesn't seem much point. I'm dressing winter too.

Keep grass and weeds away from that area, as they can spread, or you can build a fence around your crops/paths that you don't want to be overrun.
Thanks, guess I'd best get crafting. I've been saving wood for a barn extension but fences seem necessary.

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
I can't speak to it in relation to HM, but general beginner tips:
- Put all your money into crops in the beginning; be mindful of how long crops take to grow as each season only has 28 days.
- Gather wood for the bridge on the south beach as the foraged items (Coral etc) are good for making money early on.
- Rain = free day. Generally I'll go to the mines or fish since I don't have to focus on crops. Just don't die in the mines.
- 2AM is a hard deadline for each day. Any later and you'll pass out and lose money/items.
- Play the game how you want. There is no endgame, so you can focus on relationships after you have a good income going (generally end of year 1.)
- Be mindful of which items you need for the Community Center. A lot of items are seasonal and if you miss certain things you'll need to wait until next year.

Theres a ton more tips but I'm tired lol.
The Stardew Valley Wiki is an indispensable resource. I only look up things I'm wondering about specifically to minimize spoilers.

You won't loose any items if you are wake past 2a.m. You only loose items if you die. Be awake until 2 is a valid strategy sometimes on the mines or skull cave

Oct 25, 2017
If you're filling a silo up but still running out, build another one; I believe you can have up to 4.

I remember reading somewhere that it's not worth it to go past gold, but that's if you're digging in and figuring out your yearly profit margins and.... I dunno, some people enjoy playing that way but it doesn't seem to be in the spirit of Stardew Valley to me. It's basically a lazy way to get bonus gold, and I usually produce so much more wine than I can put into casks that I just fill my basement and check on it every now and then, selling the rest at regular prices and enjoying the big return whenever they finish.

It's more important to me to have an organized, automated and aesthetically pleasing farm than have all of my space laid out to maximize profit. I see pictures of people with farms that are nothing but beehives and kegs, and I'm just... not into that.
I have 6 silos currently.

I'll probably sell some and have a few ready for free casks. For me I really like pigs, I've bought two and birthed 4. They generate around 25000/day minus winter, and they are cute AF.

Oct 27, 2017
I purposely keep an area around the periphery of my farm empty, and plant a few grass starters there every spring and let them spread out on their own. Then whenever it gets full, I go in and clear most of it, but leave enough that it will regrow. I also keep grass growing in my barnyard areas, which improves the happiness of my livestock and cuts down on how much hay I'm using during the growing seasons.

If you're filling a silo up but still running out, build another one; I believe you can have up to 4.
I knew grass spread after it is first planted but I didn't realise it kept growing after being cut. In future I'll leave some to re-grow each time I cut some for hay. Thanks for the tips.

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I've never gone over four but that's good to know if you're making a livestock-centric farm. I like pigs too, they're much lower maintenance than cows (just give 'em a scratch behind the ears and wait for the truffles, no tools required). I also found myself spending too much time petting chickens with the only payoff being wasting a ton of time making mayonnaise, so I only keep one of each coop critter (well, of the ones I've found, still missing the two rare ones).
I'm down to pigs ducks and a couple rabbits. Too much work I plan to sell the others minus a few ducks and the pigs.

RiggyRob

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Just started this up on Switch (literally just finished the first day), picked the default layout and called it Thunderbird Farm! I'm liking the detail in the portraits, where you can go in people's houses, and the general freedom from the get-go.

I'm going to be mainly exploring how to play as I go, but as a beginner tip, it seems like you're better off collecting the resources on your farm to be able to craft things like the chest rather than selling them, is that right?

I've been hankering to play Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town on my GBA Micro for a while, but I think this will be a worthy replacement!

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
You won't loose any items if you are wake past 2a.m. You only loose items if you die. Be awake until 2 is a valid strategy sometimes on the mines or skull cave
Whoa, I had no idea... Might be worth it to stay awake. So what, you just wake up the next day with less energy?

edit: I named my farm Pearson Farm, after my grandparents who passed away in quick succession last year, which prompted me to start playing this game on Steam. Helped me through those tough times. Still kinda hard for me, whenever the game mentions your Grandpa. Funny how it worked out that way. Start playing a game to help mourn the loss of your grandparents and the first thing the game does is show you a dying grandfather, haha... :,(

Oct 25, 2017
Ravensway, my goth barn, is looking forward to fall. Summer was fairly productive and profitable. Farming morn, sauna fer lunch, cave farm until sleepytime.

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
Whoa, I had no idea... Might be worth it to stay awake. So what, you just wake up the next day with less energy?

edit: I named my farm Pearson Farm, after my grandparents who passed away in quick succession last year, which prompted me to start playing this game on Steam. Helped me through those tough times. Still kinda hard for me, whenever the game mentions your Grandpa. Funny how it worked out that way. Start playing a game to help mourn the loss of your grandparents and the first thing the game does is show you a dying grandfather, haha... :,(
Energy and money. I think it's always 1000. Sometimes it's worth for one or two more hours of exploration.

Dave

Oct 26, 2017
Cool name! Let's hear what everyone called their farm.

Mine is Parsnip Patch Farm. Simple, boring, but has a quaint childrens book vibe about it.

Mines KDDC Farm. Couldn't decide so I went for my families initials of their first names. Mum, Dad, myself and my Sister. :)

Oct 27, 2017
I've pretty much played SDV all weekend. I'm in Year 2, a few days from the end of summer.

Parsnip Patch Farm has come on leaps and bounds this season. My two cows are producing better milk and my goat has grown to also produce milk. Turning those into cheese and selling for a good income. My four chickens are producing eggs for mayo production.

I've expanded from two kegs to four and two preserves barrells to seven. I was harvesting so much that it seemed a waste to just sell it as it was. Wines, ales, beers, jellies and jams have increased my income massively. I've got a small orchard of trees giving me daily fruit.

I've reached level 75 in the mines on the rainy summer days and I'm collecting ores by the bucket load. As a result I've got a hefty pile of iron and copper bars and crafting is much easier.

Next step is to expand my coop and get ducks, get some sheep and pigs in my barn and marry Abigail now we've reached ten hearts. I'm going to keep venturing further and further into the mines and I need to get better at completing community centre bundles too. Eventually I'll expand my house but that seems a way off yet.

Dave

Oct 26, 2017
Small issue, i'm addicted to this game even though I don't have a bloody clue what to actually do. First season for me, towards the end. Bought the bag upgrade, bought a couple of plants rather than seeds and planted some seeds I was given/found. Explored the mines a little bit but not too much, is it advisable to try and ignore the mines for a bit as I don't really see the point now I have a shit ton of wood, rock, etc. but I feel like I need to focus on money, would it be worth just planting and growing for a bit?

If anyone can give me some general advice, would be nice. I don't really feel like I know any of the objectives of the game yet. It's addictive and weird because I don't really know what I am doing!