• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
I didn't realize it at the time but Blizzard died for me when the Blizzard North guys left. Starcraft 2 wasn't bad but it was the beginning of the decline (edit: And World of Warcraft).

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Wow, pretty crazy.

I've been gaming for a while, but it's getting the point where I look at games that I still consider "new" games and now they're a decade old. I feel like prior to the 360/PS3 generation games aged much faster.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
The Blizzard you grew up made... the current Blizzard. People REALLY need to stop going, "Oh activision or X" ruined Blizzard. It was actually the core individuals: Mike, Frank, Allen, etc. They literally green lit projects like Heroes of the Storm, Diablo 3, etc. They were also supposedly incredibly inefficient and thought Blizzard could survive off of WoW (actually it seems to be lol). You have to realize Blizzard wasn't producing well enough to the point where patches were long delayed, expansions were far out, they scrapped an entire new MMORPG and gave the shell that is Overwatch, etc.

It isn't Activison's fault or whoever you think is to blame, it's the leaders of Blizzard who thought trends would not change, who thought the gaming environment wouldn't change, who thought "when it's ready" is actually a good way to create games especially if you're publicly traded, who never actually learned from their mistakes.
Oh, it wasn't Activision, that's for sure. You could already see that Blizzard was declining back when Wrath of the Lich King was the current WoW expansion. Battle.net 2.0 was such a travesty when Starcraft 2 launched that it was obvious they rushed to release an incomplete product. Come almost two years later and we have the Diablo 3 release fiasco.

Blizzard kind of reminds me of Bioware. Their incompetent leadership is the reason why their recent games have been mediocre at best.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I started playing this summer when me and my friends were looking for a new free game to play. It's damn good and while I wasn't there the whole time it must've been quite the ride for those who were.

Hopefully they'll make a new Starcraft someday. The player base for 2 seems like it's big enough to get matches quickly and there seems to be a decent number playing the coop campaigns, so I definitely recommend checking it out if you haven't already.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably the most excited I've ever been for a game before release and one of the three games beside LoL and gmod that kinda lead me into pc gaming. I definitely did play the two expansions as much compared to Wings of Liberty. I still enjoyed the hell out of the game overall.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I quit during heart of the swarm and never came back to it. In my mind Blizzard ruined this game with bad balance and inaction.
I don't remember exactly how long the stretch was but the thing that made me quit is that stretch of broodlord, swarmhost dominating the game.
Blizzard's balancing philosophy feels such a far cry from how dota 2 seems to always manage to be interesting or at least quickly work towards being interesting again. For whatever reason Blizzard always needs such an massive amount of time to make any changes and it's so frustrating to deal with them. Hearthstone and WoW were the same shit. No idea if Overwatch is any better.
yeah the days of broodlord, swarmhost is gone. thankfully. locust are still powerful but the swarmhost costs a lot of supply. broodlords are powerful but slow and need a lot of air support or terran or protoss air will kill it in an instance.

i still feel lurkers are a bit toopowerful

GuiltyGB

Apr 6, 2020
End of an era. My FAV game of this gen and one of my fav games of all time. It's not perfect but it keeps bringing be back for more.

Cannot wait to see what Mike Mohaimhe's new teams have in store.

Former Blizzard president unveils new company, Dreamhaven

Those studios borrow a significant amount of talent from Blizzard. Morhaime, who is the new company's CEO, and his wife Amy (head of operations), are joined by former Hearthstone lead Jason Chayes, creative director Ben Thompson, and former Starcraft II and Heroes of the Storm director Dustin Browder at Moonshot Games. Secret Door's studio head, Chris Sigaty, worked as executive producer on Hearthstone, StarCraft II, and HotS, while colleagues Alan Dabiri and Eric Dodds both have experience across a suite of major Blizzard titles. The vast majority of the rest of the studio's opening cohort of staff are also Blizzard veterans.

2voLE65J6Mmq36QfyAzbYX-1024-80.jpg

Last edited:

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
I have grown up with SC1 and SC2, phenomenal games. I just about finished up leveling each Co-Op Commander 4 times each, and have almost all of the achievements. I also watch SC1 and SC2 Korean Tournaments consistently.

I am sure to keep playing this game for many years more, but it is sad to see the content cease.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Played single player campaign long ago but got into multi only just about year past.. As long as the balance updates and map rotation continues I don't mind but this makes me fear that's a plug that's gonna be ejected soon too.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
It was a good fucking run. REALLY hope they are making a Starcraft 3.
This series deserves a lot of love.

And yes

EVERYONE check out GSL.

I love a lot of e-sports, but this is by far the best to watch. TBH its peaking in quality again now that its (for the most part lol) reached a nice balance.

GuiltyGB

Apr 6, 2020
It was a good fucking run. REALLY hope they are making a Starcraft 3.
This series deserves a lot of love.

And yes

EVERYONE check out GSL.

I love a lot of e-sports, but this is by far the best to watch. TBH its peaking in quality again now that its (for the most part lol) reached a nice balance.
The thing is, SC as a game makes the most sense as a service game. Build the MP in a f2p setting and add sp content etc on the side.

The foundation ss there, just expand on it.

OP
OP
Doomguy Fieri

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
The Blizzard you grew up made... the current Blizzard. People REALLY need to stop going, "Oh activision or X" ruined Blizzard. It was actually the core individuals: Mike, Frank, Allen, etc. They literally green lit projects like Heroes of the Storm, Diablo 3, etc. They were also supposedly incredibly inefficient and thought Blizzard could survive off of WoW (actually it seems to be lol). You have to realize Blizzard wasn't producing well enough to the point where patches were long delayed, expansions were far out, they scrapped an entire new MMORPG and gave the shell that is Overwatch, etc.

It isn't Activison's fault or whoever you think is to blame, it's the leaders of Blizzard who thought trends would not change, who thought the gaming environment wouldn't change, who thought "when it's ready" is actually a good way to create games especially if you're publicly traded, who never actually learned from their mistakes.
It was WOW. Might be my favorite game of all time, but in true monkey's paw fashion it changed Blizzard for the worse. They made a lot of money, they got real big, and then they needed to keep making lots of money to sustain their bigness. That wasn't compatible with the way they made games in the 90s and early 2000s. I agree with you, Activision is the scapegoat but that let's Blizzard leadership off the hook.

Oct 26, 2017
It's hard to believe that I was there in Seoul for the announcement. All those Blizzard people have left by now, or most of them. And I actually never played the game, I was a diehard WoW fan at the time :D

Pandaman

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Remember on gaf when the beta dropped and 2/3rds of the ot didn't get keys so we all went and started playing broodwar together while we waited.

Remember the in house tournament we had in beta. Or when the peepmode [i think it was called 1v1 obs originally] maps came out and we'd all pile in to a metalopolis lobby because it was the only somewhat balanced map.

Hell I remember being homeless when the game finally released and sitting outside a library to stream the first season of gsl at 5 in the morning.

I remember a member of that OT helping me move from a shelter to an apartment. And a bunch of the Canadian members and of the ot going to a barcraft together and then getting sushi together after.

Those were good days with good people. I'm glad I Still see some of those names here on era years later.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Starcraft 2 was fantastic, the campaign had a shit story but the mission design is still unrivaled in the genre.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
easily the best RTS campaign ever made, absolutely brilliant gameplay variety. it's up there with half life 2 and mario galaxy for me. top tier game design that brought a genre to heights I never dared to expect.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Remember on gaf when the beta dropped and 2/3rds of the ot didn't get keys so we all went and started playing broodwar together while we waited.

Remember the in house tournament we had in beta. Or when the peepmode [i think it was called 1v1 obs originally] maps came out and we'd all pile in to a metalopolis lobby because it was the only somewhat balanced map.

Hell I remember being homeless when the game finally released and sitting outside a library to stream the first season of gsl at 5 in the morning.

I remember a member of that OT helping me move from a shelter to an apartment. And a bunch of the Canadian members and of the ot going to a barcraft together and then getting sushi together after.

Those were good days with good people. I'm glad I Still see some of those names here on era years later.

Fucking hell, I still remember that post. I'm glad you were able to turn things around, your post just put a smile on my face.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
One of the things I never got is, this is supposed to be an e-sports game, but the game runs like total shit in large battles because it is limited to utilizing only 1 CPU core. Why did they not address this in 10 years?

Anyway Wings of Liberty campaign was awesome, I would recommend it.

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
I only want to play Starcraft 2 for the single-player, all campaigns. Is it worth it?

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Pity, because it's the only RTS I have liked since Age of Empires 2.

I have all my hopes pinned on Age of Empires 4 now, but it seems like generally RTS is dead. Killed by MOBA (which I hate)

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
The story is bad. Depends on how much that matters to you.

I do enjoy a good story, but engaging combat is also important. For example my favorite RTS(tactical) is Myth 2 soulblighter, but that was no base building and all about keeping your units alive between stages. Similar to Homeworld in that aspect.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
The story is bad. Depends on how much that matters to you.

Speaking as someone who really only plays RTS games for single player content (be it campaigns or VS bots) and still considers it one of my favorite genres, I can agree with this, but I think the missions themselves were a lot of fun. SC2 is far from my favorite RTS (That would be Age of Mythology), but I enjoyed it a lot.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
SC2 was a huge disappointment as someone who got engrossed into the story and lore. They improved the mechanics and missions to be more interesting at least. Never got past Heart of Swarm. MP was pretty fun though, some cool new units to play around, went mostly protoss.