• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
0DR8uxbs0SVrK8WXC-1.jpg

When are fishermen going to get their due respect?

Because dumb movies and TV shows think that cops deal with a shootout against gangbangers every Tuesday.
How many salmon are assaulting fish everyday?

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
The fuck with these replies? We don't know the whole story here, and if it is true that they were asked to leave just for simply minding their own business, then Starbucks is to blame here.

Shinku_King

Nov 11, 2017
If 5 cops sat down next to me yeah I would be pretty uncomfortable, last cop that did said I looked like someone and he hopes I stay outta trouble, now I never got in any trouble ever I didn't respond I just left. Man can we just rebuild the whole system the police runs on, it sucks driving while black that's why I let my girl drive most of the time.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
You know they really should be able to stay in the store IF they weren't doing anything wrong but I have my doubts with that many cops in 1 locations . I would definitely be uncomfortable with a gaggle of pigs sitting around me. However the fact that their association called it offensive makes me not give a shit at all.

Fuck the police!

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
But there are so many good cops out there who risk there lives everyday to help keep us all safe and don't defend the bad ones
Where are the police who are actively standing up against the injustices commited by their contemporaries? I need links to actual cops openly discussing this as cops and not as ex-cops or secretly feeding info to a journalist. Or are they shaking their heads to themselves while standing up for their brothers in blue to the public?

Do y'all not remember that officer in Baltimore who tried to report his fellow officers and got threatened off the force?

Last edited:

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
A bunch of uniformed cops can almost by definition not be minding their own business. Purchasing and leaving seems fine, but hanging around on the clock means they're working. And working means minding other people's business, and yeah that makes people uncomfortable.

It's funny to think this is just a city/PoC afraid of cops thing, too. I grew up in a small town and people there all shit on the cops too for harassing people for minor shit or speeding. Businesses don't let nor want cops setting up shop in their cars in their lots or on their property either and I've heard them being asked to leave or not be there because the business doesn't want a reputation that it's where cops set up speed traps. They don't want to be avoided by customers.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Look, I criticize cops as much as the next person, and I have the "#allcops" post history to prove it...

But, it's kind of a reach to compare cops with random "guys with guns." It's not the same at all.

We can make the case about the dire lack of oversight in this country on regards to a police force that was literally built on racism without being disingenuous.

Would I be uncomfortable if a group of cops walked into my coffee shop? Yes. But I'd be 1000x more uncomfortable if a group of "men with guns" did.
Yeah you're right it's not a fair comparison. If a random guy with a gun shot me he's actually going to jail.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Well, that happens when you lost the public's trust.

Bonafide

Oct 11, 2018
as always with these topics, I feel the need to plug citations needed's episodes on cops and how the media portrays them as these patron saints of society risking their lives every day:

soundcloud.com

Episode 54: Local "Crime" Reporting as Police Stenography

"The suspect fled on foot, police said. Call this number if you have any information." "The incident took place at the 1200 block of Grove." "Police say." "Police sources are telling us." "Suspect is

soundcloud.com

Ep 60 - Kitten Rescues, Lip-Syncing & Christmas Traffic Stops: Your Guide to Clickbait Copaganda

The media – local and national, print and TV – love puff pieces designed to make the police look good and generally improve their overall brand with the public. More often than not, these human intere

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018
So many of these posts are comical and downright embarrassing. I'll wait for the full story to see if the cops were actually engaging in antagonistic behavior before I jump in with the hot takes. Critical thinking should be a necessity in the world we live in and time and time again people just feel the need to spout off their hot takes in topics before entire details emerge and end up looking dumb as hell when the full story comes out.

EssCee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So many of these posts are comical and downright embarrassing. I'll wait for the full story to see if the cops were actually engaging in antagonistic behavior before I jump in with the hot takes. Critical thinking should be a necessity in the world we live in and time and time again people just feel the need to spout off their hot takes in topics before entire details emerge and end up looking dumb as hell when the full story comes out.
Nah, we live in a world where hot takes are a necessity to jump to when it goes along with their agenda - facts or critical details sadly don't matter much anymore. From both sides

Bonafide

Oct 11, 2018

Nah, we live in a world where hot takes are a necessity to jump to when it goes along with their agenda - facts or critical details sadly don't matter much anymore. From both sides

i like for how grandoise and englighted these posts are trying to be they have nothing to do with the actual topic

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
There's a difference between being behind some dumb ass movement like blue lives matter and thinking a cop can just go and get a fucking. Or not saying stupid shit like 'being a cop isn't dangerous'. Like half of this forum doesn't live in the real world.

Half this forum understands that comes in this country are run/heavily infiltrated by white supremacists and abuse their power in murderous ways. Any good person that would join the force DESPITE those issues and not try to force change and come out against the atrocities is willingly ignoring grave injustices and is complicity.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
i like for how grandoise and englighted these posts are trying to be they have nothing to do with the actual topic
I also like distilling minorities' distrust of an institution that has historically and continues to target them down into a hot take. With allies like these.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Critical thinking? The lapse in critical thinking I see here is coming from the folks who see posters (two of whom are officers) explaining why they understand this scenario going down this way given the context and responding with "WELL HAVE FUN WITH YOUR ANARCHIC HELLSCAPE AFTER YOU KILL ALL THE POLICE FELLAS"

Literally vomiting platitudes while ignoring actual information ITT.

Y'all dumb

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Where are the police who are actively standing up against the injustices commited by their contemporaries? I need links to actual cops openly discussing this as cops and not as ex-cops or secretly feeding info to a journalist. Or are they shaking their heads to themselves while standing up for their brothers in blue to the public?

Do y'all not remember that officer in Baltimore who tried to report his fellow officers and got threatened off the force?

That's the thing. More people would be willing to buy the defense of "it's just a few bad eggs" if these supposed "good cops" made their voices heard and actually affected noticeable positive change within their department. If you call yourself a good cop but always stand in either silence or vocal support of whatever the cop crime of the week (or minute) is then I don't think you're allowed to call yourself a good cop anymore.

Based on discussions I've had with cops and a lot stuff I've read, no matter their political leanings or whatever else, most (if not all) cops have the belief that it's them against the world. Unfortunately the more they believe and lean into that the more it becomes true.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
ed on discussions I've had with cops and a lot stuff I've read, no matter their beliefs or political leanings, most (if not all) cops have the belief that it's them against the world. Unfortunately the more they believe and lean into that the more it becomes true
Every officer I've known has said this. And has also said that their job is to find reasons to write you a ticket or arrest you and to not trust them if they're around you, even if you called them, cause you can bet they're lookin'.

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018
Critical thinking? The lapse in critical thinking I see here is coming from the folks who see posters (two of whom are officers) explaining why they understand this scenario going down this way given the context and responding with "WELL HAVE FUN WITH YOUR ANARCHIC HELLSCAPE AFTER YOU KILL ALL THE POLICE FELLAS"

Literally vomiting platitudes while ignoring actual information ITT.

Y'all dumb
Yes, critical thinking. Do you think if there are any police officers on this forum that DON'T agree with this are going to come forward and post seeing as how all of you would flock on them like flies on shit? I'm sorry, I fight for social justice every day of my life and I've heard comments like "but he's one of the good ones", etc. because of my skin color. What I'm NOT going to do is then use those SAME talking points and stereotype and generalize an entire group of people. Does the police system need accountability and reform? Absolutely, you're not going to get that argument from me. However, I'm not going to be a hypocritical asshole and say that every police officer wants to kill minorities, fuck all cops, they should be kicked out of every establishment, and that they should make people feel uncomfortable regardless of what they're doing. One of my good friends was a police officer and now works for the FBI. He participated in my research project that specifically dealt with black relations with police officers, and he went on the record to say that there is absolutely a problem that needs addressed. He was one of the nicest, most caring people I know. But I'm sure you don't want to hear that from me.

Get over yourself.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
That's the thing. More people would be willing to buy the defense of "it's just a few bad eggs" if these supposed "good cops" made their voices heard and actually affected noticeable positive change within their department. If you call yourself a good cop but always stand in either silence or vocal support of whatever the cop crime of the week (or minute) is then I don't think you're allowed to call yourself a good cop anymore.

Based on discussions I've had with cops and a lot stuff I've read, no matter their political leanings or whatever else, most (if not all) cops have the belief that it's them against the world. Unfortunately the more they believe and lean into that the more it becomes true.
When they, the police, keep that mentality it does affect how they perceive others and how they treat others. That, in time, brings reasons for the public to not trust the officers that say "you should trust us". I'll say that we worked really hard to to be proactive in creating an environment that the public could trust us, and not have a worry on whether to call us for help or not. There's a pretty good list of things I could write out on how our department kept our city in good spirits when it came to the relationship between the public and law enforcement.

That being said, there are too many agencies that don't operate like we did/do. They do a lot of things, the "us against them" attitude you mentioned is one, that keeps people on edge about how they see the police.

Every officer I've known has said this. And has also said that their job is to find reasons to write you a ticket or arrest you and to not trust them if they're around you, even if you called them, cause you can bet they're lookin'.
Those places would have been terrible to work with and I would absolutely make it a voice to let them know that isn't how we should work with the public.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017

Just add cynicism, paranoia & racism to that recipe and you have yourself what seems like the vast majority of cops.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
"Generalizing all officers is the same as generalizing all black people!!!" is intellectually equivalent to "Why can't we have Straight Pride Parade?!!!"

If you're going to ignore how people are framing and explaining the context that sufficiently differentiates between underlying two seemingly similar principles then you're being disingenuous.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
But I'm sure you don't want to hear that from me.
See the problem here is you putting words in people's mouths. I definitely would like to hear that from you - an ex of mine has been trrying to get into the FBI in fact - but not in the context of you exaggerating what people are saying ITT and going on about critical thinking skills that you also are failing at utlizing right now.

I am aware that "fuck cops" is largely an expression of frustration at a situation no one wants to be the way it is. Because I read these discussions over the long term and pay attention to the points people make and the context in which those points are made. Do you? It really doesn't seem like it. It seems like you're presuming a lot of shit about people you haven't tried to actually engage with.

And no, don't compare that to people's reactions to the police because there is a precedent surrounding that occupation.

Those places would have been terrible to work with and I would absolutely make it a voice to let them know that isn't how we should work with the public.
That's why they're all ex-cops now. I do appreciate those of you who try to do the right thing in your position. If you think I am misrepresenting the discussion ITT with anything I am saying please let me know.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
When they, the police, keep that mentality it does affect how they perceive others and how they treat others. That, in time, brings reasons for the public to not trust the officers that say "you should trust us". I'll say that we worked really hard to to be proactive in creating an environment that the public could trust us, and not have a worry on whether to call us for help or not. There's a pretty good list of things I could write out on how our department kept our city in good spirits when it came to the relationship between the public and law enforcement.

That being said, there are too many agencies that don't operate like we did/do. They do a lot of things, the "us against them" attitude you mentioned is one, that keeps people on edge about how they see the police.

And that's just it. If departments like yours made up the majority then shit like this might feel a little more uncalled for but it's pretty obvious that's not the current state of things.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
See the problem here is you putting words in people's mouths. I definitely would like to hear that from you - an ex of mine has been trrying to get into the FBI in fact - but not in the context of you exaggerating what people are saying ITT and going on about critical thinking skills that you also are failing at utlizing right now.

I am aware that "fuck cops" is largely an expression of frustration at a situation no one wants to be the way it is. Because I read these discussions over the long term and pay attention to the points people make and the context in which those points are made. Do you? It really doesn't seem like it. It seems like you're presuming a lot of shit about people you haven't tried to actually engage with.

And no, don't compare that to people's reactions to the police because there is a precedent surrounding that occupation.

That's why they're all ex-cops now. I do appreciate those of you who try to do the right thing in your position. If you think I am misrepresenting the discussion ITT with anything I am saying please let me know.
I didn't think you were misrepresenting anything. I understand where you're coming from.
And that's just it. If departments like yours made up the majority then shit like this might feel a little more uncalled for but it's pretty obvious that's not the current state of things.
Trust me, even though I'm retired now, it still boils my blood to see how little law enforcement has progressed over the years. It literally hurts to see people being treated badly by the people (cops) they should be able to trust.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
So many of these posts are comical and downright embarrassing. I'll wait for the full story to see if the cops were actually engaging in antagonistic behavior
Hm.

They were there in a group and armed. Do you understand how people would be uncomfortable with a visibly armed gang who can kill with impunity hanging out while they are just having some coffee? I assume you wouldn't be cool with a group of people wearing full nazi regalia hanging out.
What I'm NOT going to do is then use those SAME talking points and stereotype and generalize an entire group of people.
There's a difference between sterotyping based on race and being uncomfortable based on an understanding of systemic inequities.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
User Banned (1 Month): Inflammatory false equivalencies surrounding bigotry and race; previous infractions related to race
I would like to see more establishments just straight up ban cops

You should try telling cops that
The fuck with these replies? We don't know the whole story here, and if it is true that they were asked to leave just for simply minding their own business, then Starbucks is to blame here.
Yeah, this whole thread is very telling of era as a whole. Any other topic than being prejudiced against the police and it would have been ban-city.

I guess my question for those people is this: at what point does your generalization of an entire group of other people become SO overbearing that YOU are now the one downplaying another groups suffering, just as you criticize others for? I dont care if it's the police or military (both institutions o hate and fear). We have no right to generalize PEOPLE on any level.

I am afraid we will eventually reach a tipping point in this current society, and the eventuality isnt too far off. We should all know better at this point than to think we know who everyone in a group is or what they think and feel. It's just as prejudiced as racism. Its assuming you know something about someone personally because of something superficial about them and it's disgusting, no matter who does it.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this whole thread is very telling of era as a whole. Any other topic than being prejudiced against the police and it would have been ban-city.

I guess my question for those people is this: at what point does your generalization of an entire group of other people become SO overbearing that YOU are now the one downplaying another groups suffering, just as you criticize others for? I dont care if it's the police or military (both institutions o hate and fear). We have no right to generalize PEOPLE on any level.

I am afraid we will eventually reach a tipping point in this current society, and the eventuality isnt too far off. We should all know better at this point than to think we know who everyone in a group is or what they think and feel. It's just as prejudiced as racism. Its assuming you know something about someone personally because of something superficial about them and it's disgusting, no matter who does it.

In what ways is acknowledging the well documented statistics of systemic problems within a chosen career like police officers at all like racism toward me, as a black man?

It is super telling that so many people keep trying compare a profession to being a person of color, though, yes.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
United States
In what ways is acknowledging the well documented statistics of systemic problems within a chosen career like police officers at all like racism toward me, as a black man?

It is super telling that so many people keep to compare a profession to being a person of color, though, yes.
At some points, racists could throw around black-on-white crime numbers as justification for their hate too, including murder numbers. How is your assumption that this group will hurt people any different until something, like a crime or offense...actually happens? This is less a question from me and more a question you should be asking yourself.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017

Sure:
Preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience.
How many stories do you need of cops abusing their power or killing unarmed people exactly?
At some points, racists could throw around black-on-white crime numbers as justification for their hate too, including murder numbers. How is your assumption that this group will hurt people any different until something, like a crime or offense...actually happens? This is less a question from me and more a question you should be asking yourself.
Who gives a shit what racists think? Of course they will throw out racist stats, they are pieces of shit.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018

When someone says "fuck all cops" they are also saying it to good cops who do the right thing everyday. You're just cherry picking the negatives and letting your emotions take control when you say "fuck all cops". It's immature and counter productive to creating a discussion that does have positive effect on changing bad cops behavior.

Fuck some cops? Hell yes! Fuck all cops? Shut the fuck up with that shit, you're making the situation worse by pushing all cops away when you say that.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017

What a bunch of BS, they are wearing a uniform and representing an institution known for its systematic abuse and oppression of those without power so you'll have to excuse some of us if we don't give a shit about their feelings or rights to stand in a coffee shop. They can take the uniform off and nobody would be the wiser, it's not as easy for those they oppress.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck some cops? Hell yes! Fuck all cops? Shut the fuck up with that shit, you're making the situation worse by pushing all cops away when you say that.
I don't feel anything when someone says "fuck America" or even "fuck Americans," and that was actually a decision I didn't even have a hand in. Not sure why cops who chose to be cops can't compartmentalize basic metonymies expressed by the people they actively weild life-threatening power over. Talk about snowflakes.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
How many times have you been around a cop and NOT shot? The fact that one number means more to you than another, while being highly in the minority (it has to be, you're alive) shows your prejduice.
I'm white and don't have the same level of threat that a minority would, though I have had my rights violated by police on multiple occasions. I have to have been shot to not trust the police? That's a pretty high bar you're setting. I shouldn't hate cops because I haven't been killed by them lol

Oct 27, 2017
United States
What a bunch of BS, they are wearing a uniform and representing an institution known for its systematic abuse and oppression of those without power so you'll have to excuse some of us if we don't give a shit about their feelings or rights to stand in a coffee shop. They can take uniform off and nobody would be the wiser, it's not as easy for those they oppress.
This is just more generalize prejudice. Do you think all police fit that mold? If so, you need to wake up and stop being naive. They're just people, like you. They have different, much more serious and dangerous responsibilities, but they're people too. They aren't all what you think they are. If you think so, maybe you should actually try talking to some police officers and see how wrong you are.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I'm white and don't have the same level of threat that a minority would, though I have had my rights violated by police on multiple occasions. I have to have been shot to not trust the police? That's a pretty high bar you're setting. I shouldn't hate cops because I haven't been killed by them lol
I dont trust most people, including police. I dont expect Starbucks to kick them out either, though. That's prejudice. Someone making me afraid just by existing doesnt mean i have the right to ask them to leave unless they're directly addressing me. Otherwise, that's on me. Its MY prejudice, until something actually happens and yes, people shouldn't act on their prejudice. Until it's a real thing, not just something you assume is going to happen.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
This is just more generalize prejudice. Do you think all police fit that mold? If so, you need to wake up and stop being naive. They're just people, like you. They have different, much more serious and dangerous responsibilities, but they're people too. They aren't all what you think they are. If you think so, maybe you should actually try talking to some police officers and see how wrong you are.
Doesn't matter, they cover for the ones that do. Don't give me that platitude about them being "people", it's absurd and insulting to those that would never partake in their type of terrorism.