• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Man, I wish I was part of the group where a group of heavily armed people with a license to kill doesn't make them feel uncomfortable.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
This is my favorite response for how tryhard it is.
What is with people (and I mean Right-leaning people) trying to co-opt the 4th of July as being a way to celebrate the military and Vets? We got Veteran's Day and Memorial Day, yo. 4th of July is about the NATION'S Independence. It's for EVERYBODY. One could argue that soldiers were important to that independance, and I'd say, yeah, those Vets of the Revolutionary War should be saluted, but I doubt you'd fine many around nowadays.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If a cop ordering a drink at Starbucks makes you that uncomfortable you got some issues.

A cop could at any point, for any reason, put a bunch of bullets in me and most likely get off with paid leave. Why the fuck wouldn't I be uncomfortable at any point around them?

Like, I get era is almost all white and will never have to deal with this, but just think about it a bit and use some empathy.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I can think of a million threads where I'm like "The cop was wrong." or "That person was wrong to call the cops."

But this feels...like something you shouldn't do...even if you want to. This is the kind of thing that feeds the people who want to defend cops no matter what they do.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
LOL

And the group of cops felt like the barista was in the wrong but still just shrugged and left the shop, tears in their eyes. Suuuuuure.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
this thread will experience severe whiplash when its revealed it was a middle aged white soccer mom who asked for the cops to be removed

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's a strange embellishment you've added there, but you do you.
Is it now?
You seem to be complimenting them for not abusing their power and breaking the law.
The only legal and reasonable thing to do in that situation is to fucking move or leave, the fact that you think that this is something that deserves praise speaks volumes of the low bar we set for police in this country.

I mean I get you on some level, it's not hard to imagine the cops losing their shit in that situation, and yeah, it's good that they didn't, but I really don't think this is a praiseworthy thing, and as long as we demand so little from cops, we'll never see any sort of change.

VHS

Alt account
Banned
May 8, 2019
It is a false equivalency. It's like when gun owners say, "But knives are weapons too!" when in reality a knife is a tool and can be considered a weapon as an optional thing. To say cops are analogous to murderers misrepresents what a cop is on a fundamental level: law enforcement.
So why do minorities feel uncomfortable around cops and try to avoid them?

Here's a chart on people shot to death by the police broken down by race:

XGyF5Z8.png

White victims make up 40% of the deaths in 2018, but make up 70% of the population according to the 2010 census.
Reciprocally black victims make up 20% of the deaths in 2018 while only being 17% of the population.
Hispanics are 14% of the list and 16% of the population.

Vox has a few more charts that paint the picture more fully:

police%20killings%20by%20race.png
police_unarmed_victims.0.png

Studies show, for example, that officers are quicker to shoot black suspects in video game simulations. Josh Correll, a University of Colorado Boulder psychology professor who conducted the research, said it's possible the bias could lead to more skewed outcomes in the field. "In the very situation in which [officers] most need their training," he said, "we have some reason to believe that their training will be most likely to fail them."

So no, I don't feel it is a false equivalence given law enforcements attitude, treatment and history of minorities in this country to refer to them as murderers and be scared of them.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I'm a little white boy and even I get a little antsy around cops. I can't imagine actually having good reason to be afraid.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Good. Police aren't a protected class. They chose to be professional assholes. And this was in an area where the police force regularly harass latinx people. So they can fuck off.

VHS

Alt account
Banned
May 8, 2019
And to follow up my previous post here is an article about police shooting specifically in Phoenix, the biggest city in Arizona:

On average, Phoenix police were involved in a shooting every eight days in 2018.
  • Hispanic people were shot most often. They make up 43% of Phoenix's population and 42% of those shot.
  • White people make up 42% of the city's population and 38% of those shot.
  • Black people make up 7% of the city's population and 14% of those shot.
  • Native American people made up 2% of the city's population and 6% of those shot.
VZB4whF.png

So yes, again, these people do have a reason to fear the police.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
hate seeing cops enter a place where i'm trying to enjoy a meal. It's the guns more than anything. Leave the guns back at the station and maybe you can hang.

Leon123

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Trolling; Inflammatory Community Attack
Jesus fucking Christ at the posts on this thread.
This forum is no better then neogaf, if not worse!
Ban me permanently if you want.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
That's dope. More businesses should refuse service to cops.
Considering the pettiness of police:

"911 what's your emergency?"
"PEOPLE ARE TRYING TO SMASH INTO MY STORE. THEY HAVE GUNS AND SAY THEY'RE GOING TO KILL ME! SEND HELP!"
"Alright, the police are on their way."
"Attempted robbery and possible harm at 123 Fake Street. Suspects are armed."
"Hmm, they did say we can't buy donuts there. Let's take our time."

SquirrelSr

Oct 26, 2017
Before someone goes and talk about "slippery slopes", being a cop is an occupation. You can't choose what ethnicity you're born as.

sam huge

Oct 27, 2017
Cops these days look militaristic and threatening af. Now every officer looks like SWAT.

It doesn't have to be that way, but it is. and they signed up for it.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Just as long as we're in agreement that there is not a shred of proof so far that these cops did anything to anyone, and no one's under any obligation to take the side of the barista or the patron.

We're still like...rational human beings, yes?

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe cops should stop murdering people, framing people, falsely imprisoning people, and overpolicing poor communities and maybe people wouldn't feel uncomfortable around them.

VHS

Alt account
Banned
May 8, 2019

"PEOPLE ARE TRYING TO SMASH INTO MY STORE. THEY HAVE GUNS AND SAY THEY'RE GOING TO KILL ME! SEND HELP!"
They don't even have a legal requirement to protect you.

www.nytimes.com

Justices Rule Police Do Not Have a Constitutional Duty to Protect Someone (Published 2005)

Supreme Court rules that police do not have constitutional duty to protect person from harm, even woman who obtained court-issued protective order against violent husband which made arrest mandatory for violation; decision overturns ruling by federal appeals court in Colorado; it had permitted...

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017

Absolutely true. Not an option for small businesses but big corps like Starbucks can take the L. Maybe donut shops as well. Who really has more power in the cop-donut shop paradigm?

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Cops these days look militaristic and threatening af. Now every officer looks like SWAT.

It doesn't have to be that way, but it is. and they signed up for it.
That's the irony of all of that crap, cops are purposely dress up in the way that would be intimidating.
You can argue Not All Cops all you want, but I think it's very hard to argue that police departments don't think that having people afraid of cops is a good thing.

That's of course doesn't stop them from whining any time that people are intimidated by them in a way that isn't just compliance.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
On thinking further (partly prompted by pride), I am a bit more divided on the matter as if a gay customer was asked to leave at the request of some other homophobic customer for making them uncomfortable I think it would be totally outrageous and unacceptable. As such, if they were simply just standing there and drinking the coffee (and not engaging in any other threatening behaviour aside from them being police) I think the request probably shouldn't have been made.

Terrible comparison. They chose to be cops, with full knowledge of public perception of that occupation. A job and a sexual orientation are not equivalent things and it's ridiculous to compare them in this circumstance. And even if it weren't ridiculous, the homophobe is irrational in his fear, while the customer afraid of police violence is simply informed. Yeah yeah, "not all cops" or whatever. "Not all airline passengers," too, in fact almost literally NO airline passengers, but I still have to take my fucking shoes off before I get on a plane, don't I?

If the cops were basically loitering around, standing and not sitting, I have no problem believing that would make some people uncomfortable and find the request to be reasonable.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Just as long as we're in agreement that there is not a shred of proof so far that these cops did anything to anyone, and no one's under any obligation to take the side of the barista or the patron.

We're still like...rational human beings, yes?
Cops regularly detain and arrest people without a shred of proof that their detainees have done anything to anyone. And no one's obligated to take their side in these cases, and yet bigots regularly do.

So it's not surprising that people would be uncomfortable around them. It should be the least surprising event. Especially in this part of Arizona, where this happened, where cops regularly detain and harass latinx people with prejudice. Being uncomfortable with cops is the rational response until cops stop power tripping and racially profiling.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm torn on this a little. The situation with extreme police brutality, systemic racism and abuse of force is well documented, we all know that. I don't have any sympathy for bad actors.

But it feels like a bit of a slippery slope too. It appears they were standing there drinking their drinks. I'm Muslim and my wife wears a hijab for example. Would I be obligated to do the same if someone said they were uncomfortable around us?
This is the core of it: Normalizing being asked to leave simply for existing will go very badly for minorities, as they are after all, minorities.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Cops regularly detain and arrest people without a shred of proof that their detainees have done anything to anyone. And no one's obligated to take their side in these cases, and yet bigots regularly do.

So it's not surprising that people would be uncomfortable around them. It should be the least surprising event. Especially in this part of Arizona, where this happened, where cops regularly detain and harass latinx people with prejudice. Being uncomfortable with cops is the rational response until cops stop power tripping and racially profiling.

Cops exhibit indefensible behavior on a regular basis. I agree. I'm just saying there's no evidence of that here. I don't like fucking cops following me. One followed me to a drive through one time. It made me uncomfortable. I don't think he should be denied a milkshake at Mcdonald's though.

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
I don't feel safe in a room with someone that has a gun, period.

The cafeteria of the place I work at has ATMs and whenever they refill the money the guy is accompanied with dudes that look like they are entering a war zone and I'd rather just leave than being there in case something happens.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Cops exhibit indefensible behavior on a regular basis. I agree. I'm just saying there's no evidence of that here. I don't like fucking cops following me. One followed me to a drive through one time. It made me uncomfortable. I don't think he should be denied a milkshake at Mcdonald's though.
The cops were not denied service. They were asked to avoid loitering. If they want to be treated like a pedestrian then they should dress down on their breaks so that they don't come off as the militants they are.

Oct 27, 2017
Terrible comparison. They chose to be cops, with full knowledge of public perception of that occupation. A job and a sexual orientation are not equivalent things and it's ridiculous to compare them in this circumstance. And even if it weren't ridiculous, the homophobe is irrational in his fear, while the customer afraid of police violence is simply informed. Yeah yeah, "not all cops" or whatever. "Not all airline passengers," too, in fact almost literally NO airline passengers, but I still have to take my fucking shoes off before I get on a plane, don't I?

If the cops were basically loitering around, standing and not sitting, I have no problem believing that would make some people uncomfortable and find the request to be reasonable.
Fear in the American police force is absolutely rational. I don't think it's unreasonable for anybody to be uncomfortable in the presence of police. I agree with almost everything you said, and yet I think the bolded is wrong.

I don't think the comparison is terrible. I don't believe a shop should have a blanket policy that if somebody is made uncomfortable by your presence you may be asked to leave; regardless of the rationality of the fear, I think it's wrong to be asked to leave just because your mere presence in the absence of any other threatening or intimidating behaviour, and I think it's wrong precisely because of the comparison which I've made and have had personal experience with (because homophobes aren't viewing their fear as 'irrational' I can assure you). I think trying to take it on a case-by-case basis and arguing the 'rationality' of why they are uncomfortable by somebody else's presence is prone to abuse and it should simply not be acceptable.

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
US cops have too much power and aren't held accountable for their actions. This is one of the ways through which people can express their displeasure.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Cops exhibit indefensible behavior on a regular basis. I agree. I'm just saying there's no evidence of that here.
Cops aren't judged as intimidating because all of the are proven murderers. They are judged as such because they exist in a system where any given cop can murder someone and get away with it. The fact that you don't know which individuals will go on to murder someone doesn't make that fact any less palatable.

Like, it would be like if someone brought their pet grizzly bear into my house. Just because it hasn't been recorded eating a person doesn't mean I'm not going to be intimidated by what I know bears can do to human bodies.