• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was generally curious about the game. I've seen hardly no videos, gameplay advertisements, or any word of mouth whatsoever.

So it's something that's good but needed more time in the oven. So a definite rush to release with 9th movie around the corner.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
A little reductive, games like Sekiro are not the "industry standard" thats a potential GOTY for many people, but I definitely feel the overall point.

YuriLowell

Oct 26, 2017
I CLAPPED WHEN I SAW DARTH VADER made me laugh out loud.

mod edit: added spoiler tags

Overall, despite finishing the game, I would agree with most of everything she said. The level of polish in this game is frankly embarrassing when you think about the fact it's the first single-player Star Wars game we've had in a fucking DECADE.
It was rushed to get it out in time for the movie.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
100% agreed with this review. Just finished the game finally, and by the end I was very tired of all the jank and bad design. There's a good game at the core, but it fumbles the execution in every step. The platforming is janky as fuck and there's so much of it (especially the jankiest parts of it), the combat is very loose and the dodgy framerate makes it looser, some enemy attacks have tracking more obnoxious than anything in Dark Souls 2, the AI is terrible, you constantly clip through environments, everything is just so loose. The stim and force powers sporadically just not work and you have to press twice. I've died more times to the framerate and stims not working than anything else. I've lost progress due to the checkpoint system not actually saving my progress several times. And the gameplay design is copying things from better games and doing it poorly - a lot of things are copied "just because" from other games without understanding how those mechanics fit into the broader game that they come from, and they're just thrown in here. Some level design woes, progression woes, lack of a bunch of quality of life features, etc. all come together to make this a disappointing experience. While a few more months in the oven would fix some of the bugs, the janky controls and overall level/mechanic/etc issues are fundamental to the game. I still enjoyed it enough to finish it, but I was ready to give up many times. Hopefully they can polish these up for a potential sequel, but I definitely don't want Cal Kestis in a sequel because he's pretty awful.

Also, the way the story ended was completely against the themes of the game, because it had to fit into a prequel slot in the canon.
the whole game is about how loneliness sucks and you can become stronger together, but in the end you decide to leave all the surviving jedi alone because you're afraid that the empire will purge them if you bring them together. That's a weak-ass copout that undermines the rest of the game's (admittedly almost nonexistant and generally bad) story. The right thing and the Jedi thing to do would be to bring the survivors together and vow to defy fate. But of course that's not what happens so we can't have that.
This is why it sucks that they keep making all these sides stories in the prequel/OT eras because all the stakes are moot, we know what happens and nothing that the characters do will really matter. This game could easily have been made a lot better by taking place in the sequel era honestly.

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
What I'm most thankful for with this game is that it made me go back to Sekiro to complete all achievements. The lack of polish reared its face a little too often in almost every facet of the game. Made me appreciate Sekiro even more than I previously did (and the weight of that first kusabimaru swing felt amazing).

Having said that, I still 100%'d Fallen Order and mostly enjoyed it (ended up playing on Grandmaster without much trouble after acquiring most of the upgrades/skills).

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Well she is certainly being brutally honest, as much as I ''appreciate'' Fallen Order I definitely agree with most of the points here.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
This is why it sucks that they keep making all these sides stories in the prequel/OT eras because all the stakes are moot, we know what happens and nothing that the characters do will really matter. This game could easily have been made a lot better by taking place in the sequel era honestly.
That's likely down to Disney. You'll have to wait for games released next gen to mess around with post TROS stuff. Let's be real no developer was getting the story treatments or scripts for the ST to make a game. Lucasfilm wasn't doing it.

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
This is a perfect review. The game is good. I always wanted to know how the story unfolds but experienced a ton of glitches, freezes and performance issues on Xbod One X. Even after two patches I had to replay the final part thrice because the game kept crashing.

The combat is ok but it is nowhere near as good as a From Software game.

The game definitely needed more time in the oven.

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
I expected great music going into the game but most of it just isn't very good, the little that is good is just taken from the movies. And the game feature one good character: Cere. Greez "character arc" is over before you know it, I thought Merrin had potential but she ended up just being a device plot to help you get inside the underwater imperial base. Girlfriendreviews is right, if this wasn't a Star Wars game no one would care about it.
Yep, without the Star Wars name, this is a very generic souls clone, albeit a mediocre clone.

The atmosphere is great, and the environment design is also great, but the rest is meh.

The combat feels janky, repeat parrying has a weird timing/motion, lock on is not responsive and not smart (locking to further character, cannot shift in some cases). Makes me really appreciate Sekiro's combat.

The loot is absolute garbage. They could at least make some interesting costume so people can have fun and share on the net. Instead it is the most boring/bland poncho, insignificant color change, and also unnoticeable lightsaber models. Terrarium seed is the closest thing they have to being an interesting loot.

The platforming though.... man.... that sliding feature so bad. Ball pushing puzzle is so annoying. And no teleport between save points?! Goodness, if they want to clone souls, they could at least clone all the good QoL features.

This game needs at least 6 more months in the oven.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't expect to review go in this hard. I yet have to play the game, but they certainly seem to have encountered a lot of glithces so I can't blame them. Also yet another confirmation of my early impression: game always looked fine, never understood the exaggerated negativity after the reveal nor the out of bounds hype of later gameplay videos. It always looked like a "been there, done that" game, not unlike the Mordor games that other than the (excellent) Nemesis system were perfectly fine with taking cues from Assassin's Creed, Arkham, Tomb Raider, etc. instead of inventing something new. I am perfectly fine with such games existing, not everything needs to innovate, and in fact there's many such games I greatly enjoyed (the Tomb Raider reboot is a notable example). The jank is rather unexpected from Respawn though, so my decision to wait to play the game next year on EA Access is paying off - by then I assume most issues will be fixed.

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
Yeah, I played this on the X and didn't see any glitches myself. But they definitely should have spent more time optimizing this for the weaker hardware.
Weird maybe you have a special X? Mine has stutters and slowdown all over the place. The first planet you go to after the opening is jerky as hell.

Also PS2 Wookiees are hilarious. Game looks very nice in places and undercooked in others.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
From friends and critics alike, they all seem to say that despite the bugs, it's a great game but oh boy do those bugs they display or talk about bother me so, so much. How far apart and in between are the bugs, on average? Area to area? Over several missions?

Mazz

Nov 11, 2017
Finished the game yesterday, overall it was ok, but really flawed.
The combat is not as tight as a From game, a lot of stunlock, cheap attacks (like, rats that pop out of the ground with no tell and no way to avoid them), weird hitboxes and missing i-frames. I ended up lowering the difficulty because I was having no fun at all.
The traversal is all over the place, and I still can't believe that they playtested the sliding sections of the game and thought "yes, this is fun, ship it".
I'm tempted to keep playing a bit to explore the planets, but if the payoff is just a bunch of poncho's textures... meh

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Game's a blast, definitely could use more time in the oven, but as a whole it's fantastic and it's a shame it's not longer than it is.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played the game (and probably won't) but this video described perfectly what i think the game would be like.
Minus the glitches, since didn't expect those at all.
All the videos i watched maked the gameplay seem really archaic and "borrowed" mechanics from other games but not as well implemented.

I loved the examples and comparisons they had in this video. That's a lot of work. Funny as well.

I hope Titanfall 3 is next on the list for Respawn.

edit: for people thinking "hey you have to play it before you judge it" I don't have that much time to try out all games so i have to judge based on vids and reviews.

Aug 10, 2019
Saying this is the first time someone is sayin the game needed more time is some wild shit.
I meant a major, or somewhat well known reviewer. If other reviewers are saying it awesome. But last I checked the game is 80something on metacritic and it doesn't deserve the score.
Show me the PS2 games you were playing.
Full disclosure, these are trophy pics and taken from my phone, but they're conducive to what the game looks like on a PS4 Slim...

gS7i1Pb.jpg

rUuEiT7.jpg

MAK11

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I meant a major, or somewhat well known reviewer. If other reviewers are saying it awesome. But last I checked the game is 80something on metacritic and it doesn't deserve the score.

Full disclosure, these are trophy pics and taken from my phone, but they're conducive to what the game looks like on a PS4 Slim...

gS7i1Pb.jpg

rUuEiT7.jpg
*posts potato quality off-screen photos to try to prove his shody opinion*

Last edited:

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
So....

Fallen Order is an irredeemable piece of shit game now?

Fuck me, why does every game I wanna play turn out to be garbage?

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Quite closely mirrors my thoughts. I think it is a decent game, and the intro is very impressive. But after that, it does seem a somewhat lesser mishmash of the games mentioned - although in itself means that it is good enough, as I said. On the other hand, it is the buggiest game I have probably played in the last decade. Not good, and I find it somewhat strange how the game wasn't penalised more becuase of its state. I mean I think many of the scores are pretty generous without considering the issues. When you do, well...

LoneWolfHunter

Banned for abusing Giftbot
Banned
Aug 27, 2019
So....

I don't think anyone is saying that. It's an OK/decentish game that needed a hell of a lot more polish than it got.

No dude, I was upfront about the quality of the pics, the game looks like shit on base consoles.
Dude, the PS4 has a webbrowser, just upload the pictures to imgur or something. Or send a message to someone with them and download them on the Playstation App if can't be bothered to copy them to a usb drive

On a side note, just think of how buggy this game has to be that a randomly taken screenshot of a 20+ hour game manages to catch a floating AT-ST haha

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Yeah the game is fine but it lacks any feeling of a soul. It just feels like 3 or 4 hit games put in a blender with a piecemeal story/characters wrapped around it and no technical polish at all.

MAK11

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Oh. I thought he meant post game content.
Didn't Respawn/EA already say that there won't be any post game content ? (no DLC planned AFAIK)

Anyways.. the game is a looker 85% of the time but one particular part on a certain planet is fucking diarrhea inducing.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2019
I don't think anyone is saying that. It's an OK/decentish game that needed a hell of a lot more polish than it got.

Dude, the PS4 has a webbrowser, just upload the pictures to imgur or something. Or send a message to someone with them and download them on the Playstation App if can't be bothered to copy them to a usb drive

On a side note, just think of how buggy this game has to be that a random screenshot of a 20+ hour game manages to catch a floating AT-ST haha
You can tell the quality of the image from the pics I provided... look at the freeking AT AT, it looks like shit. The backgrounds look like crap, the freeking rat monster on the right in the bottom pic looks crappier than slimer does in the Ghostbusters video game. The game is beyond ugly, textures don't load, and it makes everything look bland and boring.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
I only ran into one single bug and no jankiness the entire time I played on my PS4 Pro. Feels like I had a very different experience. Loading was fine too, though I do have a SSD in it.

And the one bug was not being able to use my Orange Saber pre-order thing from Amazon, which came so late anyways that I would only have been able to use it for some minor clean up while I was getting the plat. That bummed me out a bit.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
So....

It's a decent game, just not a game I would pay $60 for. I am glad I have Origin Primer or I would be angry at myself for paying $60 for it. I play on PC and some of the bugs that I got just killed the game for me. This doesn't happen for everyone though.

LoneWolfHunter

Banned for abusing Giftbot
Banned
Aug 27, 2019
You can tell the quality of the image from the pics I provided... look at the freeking AT AT, it looks like shit. The backgrounds look like crap, the freeking rat monster on the right in the bottom pic looks crappier than slimer does in the Ghostbusters video game. The game is beyond ugly, textures don't load, and it makes everything look bland and boring.
Sorry but no one can tell anything from those photos. They're not even stable. I'm not saying you're not wrong, but you really gotta post the original PNGs if you want to pass that point across.