• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I never get these kind of takes that say that no Star Wars was ever essential outside of pop culture reasons.

Star Wars (the first movie) and Empire were pretty damn revolutionary films that were a massive inspiration all throughout the medium. For example, we likely wouldn't have movies like Blade Runner or Alien (or at least, not not in the form we have now) if Star Wars didn't happen.

Those two films are probably amongst the most influential films of all time. Saying they're only relevant because of pop culture reasons is highly reductive and wrong IMO.
Add historical to cultural then.

Chaofahn

Nov 16, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Star Wars is undoubtedly iconic. There is absolutely no question about that and it has been the inspiration for thousands of other sci-fi as well. Its universe, lore, world building and aesthetics are unmatched, and the visual language is strong enough to transcend all forms of media.

But are the movies masterpieces of cinema? No, and apart from the arguable case of Empire Strikes Back (which is an actual good movie that vastly improved on the premise proposed by A New Hope), the rest of the movies are okay flicks, overrated and overly elevated by nostalgia.

I guess one other thing to consider too is that while Star Wars is a cultural cornerstone in Western countries, there's less appeal and sheen elsewhere. While I was living in Asia, for example, the common reaction to the series was apathy, even with the modernised cinema tropes in The Force Awakens.

EDIT: Damnit, completely forgot to mention The Last Jedi - it's the only other genuinely good film other than Empire Strikes Back, and had Rise of Skywalker stuck the landing, would've elevated Star Wars to something better.

Last edited:

Lari

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Yep. Everything you say is true, but take something you cared about more than anything in your childhood, other than the obvious things like family friends etc…. That thing that sparked your imagination the most. Was it educational? Maybe. Was it silly? I don't know.

That's Star Wars for millions of people. It's an indescribable childhood feeling. Some have held on to it too long maybe… and warped it into horrible bullshit. But it exists as a longing for something from childhood, as new shitty media now will in the future.
Of course, this I get. 100%. Star Wars were the first movies my mom took me to the theater as a kid when they were re-released and I watched every single one since opening day and I do have a lot of care for the series.
I really don't mean to come across as dismissive of that and of course everyone has their own perspective and opinions and that's fine.

But there's a level of buy-in that I don't feel is there anymore on the discourse around the movies, people seem more intent in criticizing the narrative choices and the business decisions behind the series than engaging with the story and characters anymore, and that's what is confusing to me. It stands out to me especially in a series that's always been a bit childish, never took itself too seriously and has been more about being flashy and entertaining than making 100% logical consistency.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I have grudging respect for how far outside of the familiar Lucas wanted to go with Episode I (even if they still go to Tatooine and have a space battle at the end).
II and III both come off as overcorrections.
It's the only one that feels like a legit coherent movie and the acting and dialogue is pretty good, 2 and 3 dropped right off a cliff to straight absurdity.

nutmeg

Apr 23, 2021
"Mediocre" might be a harsh description of ROTJ. I would say it is good, but not fantastic. It does reflect on how relatively childish it is compared to ESB. All things considered, ESB is really what lends maturity and depth to the series as a whole.

At least the latter end of ROTJ has some really good parts to make it worthwhile. I do think the throne room sequence is a good conclusion to Vader's arc and as a kid it was really satisfying to see Vader's force ghost.

JehutyRunner

Oct 26, 2017
The Last Jedi is the best Star Wars film of the lot that got retroactively ruined because of JJ's bullshit.

Eat my ass.

(I still love it as a standalone movie though)

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I pretty much agree with OP's quick ratings for everything.

Most of the fandom and goodwill still comes from the OT which are genuinely good films even today, IMO. Like OP said too the franchise does also have a lot of good EU stuff in the form of movies/shows/books/games, as well.

It's just the prequel and sequel trilogy that have ruined everything, and unfortunately is a large chunk of what Star Wars is today. lol

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I've gotten more entertainment from the online discourse around Star Wars than I have any on the movies. Do with that what you will.

Oct 31, 2017
I pretty much agree with OP's quick ratings for everything.

Most of the fandom and goodwill still comes from the OT which are genuinely good films even today, IMO. Like OP said too the franchise does also have a lot of good EU stuff in the form of movies/shows/books/games, as well.

It's just the prequel and sequel trilogy that have ruined everything, and unfortunately is a large chunk of what Star Wars is today. lol

As OP said, TFA and TLJ are good, eat OP's ass.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I appreciate what 4 what did for the movie industry. 5 was an enjoyable movie as well.

But yeah, nothing about Star Wars ever clicked with me the way it has for others.

Oct 31, 2017
I'll give him TLJ. I feel that was the best out of the three. TFA is harmless but the blatant ANH retread is disappointing. My main reasoning for the sequel trilogy being a mess stems from TROS which just invalidates anything good from TFA and TLJ.

As much as I like 7 and especially 8, In all seriousness the last movie does hurt it when you take it as a trilogy. But I feel like episodes 4 through 8 actually work very well together and I just imagine that Trevorrow's vision was what happened in 9 and TRoS was done by some weird fan somewhere for kicks.

Statux

Banned
Jan 13, 2020
You are right OP

Also Mando was crazy good until they decided to turn it into a stupid fanfic

Never forget

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
I'd go as far as to say that Empire is the only good film.

A New Hope, Rogue One and Revenge of the Sith are passable to decent, but all of the other films are varying degrees of awful.

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
Star Wars is batting average at best for me. OP is mostly correct, but Rogue One put me to sleep and weirdly enough, I actually enjoyed Solo haha.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I hope people know me enough not to think i'm snobby for saying this, but Star Wars movies can only be good when you're not taking into account actual good movies from the entire spectrum of the medium.

nutmeg

Apr 23, 2021
Star Wars is batting average at best for me. OP is mostly correct, but Rogue One put me to sleep and weirdly enough, I actually enjoyed Solo haha.

Rogue One seems to be low-key really divisive. You have people either thinking it sits firmly among the best SW movies, others thinking it's a real bore.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
1-3 terrible, 4-6 range from good to incredible, 7-9 range from terrible to mediocre.

Didn't see Solo, enjoyed Rogue One for what it was. Mandalorian is mostly excellent. Zero interest in any of the animated shows.

Outside of the OT, I think most of the magic comes from the EU. Granted, a lot of the EU was bad. But it could also be great, and the Star Wars universe has always made it easy to make up your own stories and head-canon. Many of the video games were also great (X-Wing Series, Jedi Knight Series, KOTOR Series, etc).

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
seems like a thing nerds like to study and quiz each other about than a series of movies they like

Oct 26, 2017
Well it all started with IV and V, which is why people are so forgiving about some of the other ones. But yeah, the rest of the movies aren't great. TFA is fun, but not that original, and TLJ is a bit messy but has some strong writing. The rest are mediocre to trash.

Still a fun franchise, though. A lot of solid stuff in expanded media.

Gotta say though Rogue One is overrated. Movie is pretty lame outside of the cinematography and the last battle. Try to name five characters from the movie, it's difficult.

You are right OP

Also Mando was crazy good until they decided to turn it into a stupid fanfic

Never forget

Why'd you have to remind me? Season 2 even started out so promising with the first two episodes.

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
c07.gif
hhhahahahahahahahhahaha fantastic :D

chromefrog

Nov 26, 2017
liking Star Wars is like backing a sports team that hasn't won a game in 40 years. there's a couple little victories here or there, but no real wins.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
Well it all started with IV and V, which is why people are so forgiving about some of the other ones. But yeah, the rest of the movies aren't great. TFA is fun, but not that original, and TLJ is a bit messy but has some strong writing. The rest are mediocre to trash.

Still a fun franchise, though. A lot of solid stuff in expanded media.

Gotta say though Rogue One is overrated. Movie is pretty lame outside of the cinematography and the last battle. Try to name five characters from the movie, it's difficult.

Why'd you have to remind me? Season 2 even started out so promising with the first two episodes.

Was it fanfic? Impression I got from TLJ was that fans would've had Luke destroy the Imperial Army with his mind then defeat Kylo Ren with ease and tell Rey her training was about to begin and that she needed 10,000 force points to level up. Fanfic doesn't do any degree of subtle.

OP
OP
Astral

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Do this breakdown of Jurassic Park and you'll wonder why anyone gives a shit about dinosaurs
No need because the fans know it's all garbage except for the first one and no one really argues that. Star Wars fans whine about how TLJ ruined Star Wars when Star Wars has been garbage since 1999. Even before that if you wanna be extra mean about ROTJ.

Darksol

Oct 28, 2017
Japan
You are still more positive than me OP. Forgettable trash, and any time I see Star Wars discussion (apart from this) it goes on the ignore list :)

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
after years of being a die hard SWite... i was bored one day and watched DS9 star trek...
i am now questioning making fun of trekkies for decades..

it really is the better franchise,

from a certain point of view.

Oct 26, 2017
Was it fanfic? Impression I got from TLJ was that fans would've had Luke destroy the Imperial Army with his mind then defeat Kylo Ren with ease and tell Rey her training was about to begin and that she needed 10,000 force points to level up. Fanfic doesn't do any degree of subtle.
Mando S2 was fanfic, not TLJ. TLJ didn't do well with some people cause they tried to hard to subvert expectations an average fan would have.