• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vote for your favourite episode/s!

• The Duel (Kamikaze Douga)

Votes: 21 19.6%
  • Tatooine Rhapsody (Studio Colorido)

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • The Twins / The Elder (Studio Trigger)

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • The Village Bride (Kinema Citrus)

Votes: 11 10.3%
  • The Ninth Jedi (Production I.G)

Votes: 49 45.8%
  • T0-B1 / Akakiri (Science SARU)

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Lop and Ochō (Geno Studio)

Votes: 15 14.0%

• Total voters

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
are these kid friendly? my 8 year old loves clone wars but I never know what to expect when I see the word anime thrown around

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
As a Star Wars fan thats not big on most anime, I'm going to see how I can fit what I see into canon for fun. As for the first three episodes:

The Duel: Easiest to fit into canon. Definitely set after ROTJ.

Tatooine Rhapsody: The story itself can fit but I do have some nitpick questions.. Also that song was godawful.

The Twins: ....what the hell was that? A tad too much anime for me. I never want to hear another complaint about bringing down a star destroyer with the force or helicopter lightsabers ever agin.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
Only watched the Twins so far because I adore Imaishi and Trigger and I really loved it. The colors associated with Jedi and Sith have been with Star Wars forever but seeing it with such an overall bright color palette was such a treat. Plus it had that usual "this is over-the-top and we're proud of it" vibe Trigger is known for and I'm glad LucasFilm didn't get them to tone down the "nonsense"

My only issue is that it sorta felt like a pilot, I was like... I'd love to see these characters do more. Shame that Trigger is wrapped up in a Cyberpunk tie-in...

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I would hazard a guess that the most popular and critically acclaimed of the episodes will definitely be considered for expanded series.
The Duel and The Ninth Jedi, please please please...

The Village Bride has potential too, especially if they can get Emi Evans to contribute more of that magical Nier-style music.

About to watch Eps. 8 and 9 so I can't comment on those.

Edit: Add Ep. 8 to the list. The art style is so appealing, and the setting has a huge amount of unexplored potential.

Ep. 9 was also good! Cool villain.

Last edited:

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Based of the open ended nature of some of these episodes, we are getting another season for sure.

edit: oh wow was that goku as the jedi robot? Instant classic.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
The Duel is one of my favorite pieces of Star Wars media, ever.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
are these kid friendly? my 8 year old loves clone wars but I never know what to expect when I see the word anime thrown around
I'd say they're kid friendly. None of the episodes are noticeably more adult-oriented than Clone Wars. There's lots of intense fight scenes but they're not graphic.

I've seen Clone Wars and now Visions in full if it matters. Visions doesn't even have any of the PG-level torture that appears in Star Wars sometimes.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Have any major websites picked up the "dubcaptions" issue? I know Visions hasn't been out long enough for this to matter, but Disney set expectations with this trailer:

youtu.be

Star Wars: Visions | Original Trailer | Disney+

PARENTS STREAMING NOW ON DISNEY+ Subscription required, 18+.Reimagine the galaxy with #StarWarsVisions, an Original Series featuring stories from seven visio...

To recap:
That trailer has Japanese audio with proper English subtitles. There is NO WAY to watch Visions like that currently. All of the subtitles are translations of the English audio, and there are no English subtitles, only closed captions (which describe everything that is happening on screen, not just the dialogue). If you switch the audio to Japanese and turn on English CC, you are watching with dubcaptions.

Disney set the expectation that this would be available dubbed in English and presented in Japanese with proper English subtitles by releasing the above trailer in those two formats. So what gives?

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
All I want to know is if the Trigger episode (The Twins) is as hype and over the top as I want it to be?

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
Have any major websites picked up the "dubcaptions" issue? I know Visions hasn't been out long enough for this to matter, but Disney set expectations with this trailer:

youtu.be

Star Wars: Visions | Original Trailer | Disney+

PARENTS STREAMING NOW ON DISNEY+ Subscription required, 18+.Reimagine the galaxy with #StarWarsVisions, an Original Series featuring stories from seven visio...

To recap:
That trailer has Japanese audio with proper English subtitles. There is NO WAY to watch Visions like that currently. All of the subtitles are translations of the English audio, and there are no English subtitles, only closed captions (which describe everything that is happening on screen, not just the dialogue). If you switch the audio to Japanese and turn on English CC, you are watching with dubcaptions.

Disney set the expectation that this would be available dubbed in English and presented in Japanese with proper English subtitles by releasing the above trailer in those two formats. So what gives?

Sadly I think its because Disney+ hasn't got a proper subs option like Netflix has. I believe they need to still develop a better interface for this.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Even beating out The Force Unleashed with pulling a Star Destroyer from orbit using The Force?

I'm very excited now.
I guess that's debatable, lol. But I can't recall a more wild lightsaber fight. It takes physics and logic as very loose suggestions, in a fun way.

I think I might actually prefer Ep. 7, The Elder. It's more grounded than The Twins, but the villain and the fight are so cool. Just really great Star Wars action.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure there's been a more over the top Star Wars thing than Ep. 3, The Twins.
latest

But yeah I agree

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sadly I think its because Disney+ hasn't got a proper subs option like Netflix has. I believe they need to still develop a better interface for this.
Which is why I was under the impression that they would put this up as two separate entries in their interface. One with the English audio, and one with the Japanese audio with proper subtitles. They showed the title card in English and Japanese, so that's how this should've rolled out.

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't watched any Visions yet (should get into it later tonight), these stories are non-canon but if there is an obvious fan-favorite I bet Kennedy, Filoni & co. will work it into the lore somehow.

I'm hoping future Visions seasons will have Doctor Aphra's on-screen debut, would love to see Studio Trigger handle it in a comedic slapstick sort of way.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I kind of blanked that scene from my memory. So ridiculous. 😂
Not only was it ridiculous, the on-screen prompts don't actually tell you how to do it correctly. It took 5 of us passing the controller around nearly 6 hours to get through that sequence. I have never been more frustrated with a video game in my life. Completely soured what was, until then, a fantastic experience.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Not only was it ridiculous, the on-screen prompts don't actually tell you how to do it correctly. It took 5 of us passing the controller around nearly 6 hours to get through that sequence. I have never been more frustrated with a video game in my life. Completely soured what was, until then, a fantastic experience.
Yeah I vaguely remember being in the same room as a friend who was playing that scene, and apparently the prompts were baffling.

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't watched any Visions yet (should get into it later tonight), these stories are non-canon but if there is an obvious fan-favorite I bet Kennedy, Filoni & co. will work it into the lore somehow.

I'm hoping future Visions seasons will have Doctor Aphra's on-screen debut, would love to see Studio Trigger handle it in a comedic slapstick sort of way.
I feel like "The Dual" would be nearly automatic.
Even the extreme aesthetic isn't that out of place

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
If they don't capitalise on The Duel they're going to get asked about spin-offs and sequels to it until the heat death of the universe. It's incredible. That being said, it's got some fantastic twists that an expanded version could ruin with explanation, so I'm not sure how easy it would be to expand.

Even beating out The Force Unleashed with pulling a Star Destroyer from orbit using The Force?

I'm very excited now.

The Twins is like if two kids were slamming their action figures together and then decided they needed to keep one-upping each other for fourteen minutes. Force Unleashed has nothing on it.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
If they don't capitalise on The Duel they're going to get asked about spin-offs and sequels to it until the heat death of the universe. It's incredible. That being said, it's got some fantastic twists that an expanded version could ruin with explanation, so I'm not sure how easy it would be to expand.
They know they've got something special with that one, there's already a novel about the character coming next month:
www.starwars.com

A Mysterious Former Sith Wanders the Galaxy in Ronin, the Upcoming Star Wars: Visions Novel - Exclusive Reveal | StarWars.com

Based on The Duel short, Emma Mieko Candon’s novel goes deep into a reimagined Star Wars galaxy.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
the twins is like they took every iconic Star Wars line, setpiece, and visual they could fit into a dozen minutes and just mashed it all together, baked it on high heat, and smothered it in over-the-top anime glaze.

the protocol droid wearing a helmet in vacuum while the twins were in street clothes fucking sent me

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
There is nothing that has ever been in Star Wars that was more ridiculous than The Twins episode.
People can breath in space, Lightsabers can turn into whips, two star destroyers were glued together, and the dude sliced the star destroyer in half using a single lightsaber that took some kyber steroids until its blade was larger than an x-wing

I've only watched a few basic anime shows, so I'm not one to judge whether what I saw was good or stupid or fit the tone of Star Wars, but it was certainly a thing. I liked the Duel way more personally.

Javier

Oct 27, 2017
Chile
Well, i just finished The Twins episode and

SASUGA TRIGGER-SAMA

everything went according to keikaku (keikaku means plan) and the episode was as stupidily over the top as expected. 10/10

Edit: I'm watching the japanese dub and i inmediately recognized Son Goku's voice, lol.

Last edited:

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
There is nothing that has ever been in Star Wars that was more ridiculous than The Twins episode.
People can breath in space, Lightsabers can turn into whips, two star destroyers were glued together, and the dude sliced the star destroyer in half using a single lightsaber that took some kyber steroids until its blade was larger than an x-wing

I've only watched a few basic anime shows, so I'm not one to judge whether what I saw was good or stupid or fit the tone of Star Wars, but it was certainly a thing. I liked the Duel way more personally.
TBH Imaishi's style is basically "find the top and then see how high you can pole vault over it" plus vibrant colors and a lot of kinetic energy. His style is pretty distinct even within anime itself. So I'm glad but also surprised he got approached haha.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
yet another dark skinned character with white hair. the hold that character design has on japanese media has yet to loosen its grip

rude

Oct 25, 2017
what's funny is that none of this would really work that hard against canon other than The Twins just because of how batshit that one is. the rest of them could easily be integrated into other star wars media with a bit of tweaking. canon arguments are dumb as usual.

All in all, this was great. I would take a 2nd anthology series or maybe just more from the teams behind Village Bride/The Duel/Ninth Jedi/The Elder.

Last edited:

Gorgosh

Oct 26, 2017
Watched The Duel and Twins. Duel was very good, but didn't care for Twins much. Also the most over the top Star Wars ist still Clone Wars Cartoon:

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Episode 5 is my favorite so far and I'd love if that was an actual series.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
I'd say they're kid friendly. None of the episodes are noticeably more adult-oriented than Clone Wars. There's lots of intense fight scenes but they're not graphic.

I've seen Clone Wars and now Visions in full if it matters. Visions doesn't even have any of the PG-level torture that appears in Star Wars sometimes.

Good cause my 4 year old is gonna watch these whether she's ready to or not :)

I thought Clone Wars was too much for her but we enjoyed REBELS together

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
There are so many killer episodes so far.

The Ninth Jedi needs to become a series, as does The Twins. The Duel may work best as a series of short anthologies, I like the idea of that dude remaining a mystery. Village Bride is one of my favourites but I think it works great on its own.

Good shit so far

Last edited:

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Creatives behind the ninth jedi/the duel said they want to make more episodes if audience reception is good.

Don't fuck this up SW fandom.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad everyone is recognizing how over the top fun Twins is 😂

Please more of that!

I'm about to watch the Ninth Jedi episode, hopefully it's as fun!

Last edited: