• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That shootout was pretty bad even for Star Wars or test footage in general standard.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That test footage looks better than a lot of completed movies. Really impressive stuff and I like the vibe I was getting.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Technically impressive for a TV series at the time but it looks atrocious by today's standards.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A Star Wars show that takes place entirely in the depths of Coruscant would be awesome, especially if for the entire first season they don't confirm when it's happening. Then you watch the last episode and the main protagonist finally makes it up to the surface either by getting a job there or working directly with a senator of some sort, only to realize that the show takes place during the Old Republic.

God damn.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Did Rogue One not come out of this TV show?
Rogue One was John Knoll's pet project and got shot down by George before he pitched it again after the sale. Saw Gerrera was developed for the show though, before ultimately being introduced in Clone Wars instead, so I wouldn't be surprised if they introduced other elements from the show to pad out Knoll's concept. Lots of stuff has popped up in other projects over the years.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
A idea of a seedy Blade Runner-esque underworld was revisited in Rogue One. It's one of my favourite locations from the new films and how Coruscant should have looked and felt in the prequels.

tumblr_ow026vgkng1qbs6i5o4_r1_500.gifv

tumblr_ow026vgkng1qbs6i5o5_r1_500.gifv

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
the camera being so swoopy and all the rack-zoom/focus is bothering me, feels preetty low-rent compared to what we ended up with in the mandalorian etc.

Also, pick a goddamn zoom level, jesus. I felt like Lucielle 2 getting vertigo while watching this.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I like the visual style, at least. Would be cool to see this look adopted into something new. Maybe a location Mando can lock into?

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
"I cared about the Emperor. They made the Emperor a sympathetic figure who was wronged by this fucking heartless woman. She's this hardcore gangster, and she just totally destroyed him as a person. I almost cried while reading this. This is the Emperor, the lightning out of the fingers Emperor. That's something magical. The writers who worked on that, guys from The Shield and 24, these were excellent writers"

ugh I'm kind of over Palpatine. Dude got like 6 (or 9) films dedicated to his scheming.

NiallGGlynn

Apr 16, 2019
Incredible tech for the time. At this point I would love this series to happen just to get more batshit Lucas ideas out there and anybody who says they DON'T wanna see Sheev fuck is a liar

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I cared about the Emperor. They made the Emperor a sympathetic figure who was wronged by this fucking heartless woman. She's this hardcore gangster, and she just totally destroyed him as a person. I almost cried while reading this. This is the Emperor, the lightning out of the fingers Emperor. That's something magical. The writers who worked on that, guys from The Shield and 24, these were excellent writers
Lol,
excellent writers that are phoning that shit in clearly.
Even in 2010 that's some shite clichéd to hell hack writing.
Of course if the Emperor is bad it's because he was wronged by a devilish femoid

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I would give anything for a show about the criminal underworld where it is Star Wars meets blade runner in the bowels of Coruscant ...ughhhhhh

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan of the look of it. And personally speaking, never been a fan of the Coruscant parts of the PT. Just feels like any old futuristic cyberpunk city and for me, that's fine for Blade Runner but feels too "modern" for SW. A problem I had with the PT was some of the more slick/sleek vehicle designs. Some of those hover vehicles look like sci-fi takes on modern cars, lights and all. I'm sure there are fans that would've loved it, but I'm not among them. The Mandelorian is more my style (less cyberpunk metropolis, more lived-in, well worn podunk planets with scattered outposts, small villages and lots of strange and fascinating aliens). When I want my cyberpunk itch to be scratched, I stick with both Blade Runners, and maybe even the Super Mario Bros movie (hehehe).

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
This is crazy impressive for decade-old test footage. Bob Iger himself looked into Underworld during the buyout and then nailed the coffin shut taking the tie-in 1313 with it. Some elements still managed to show up elsewhere (1313 should be in CW S07) but yeah, Disney is the death of art.

Edit: This proof of concept for Ron Moore´s 2 part ep. He rebooted Battlestar Galactica. Nice to have some visuals for it:
Cory Barlog even got to read the script a few years ago. They now lie around in storage.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
This is crazy impressive for decade-old test footage. Bob Iger himself looked into Underworld during the buyout and then nailed the coffin shut taking the tie-in 1313 with it. Some elements still managed to show up elsewhere (1313 should be in CW S07) but yeah, Disney is the death of art.

Edit: This proof of concept for Ron Moore´s 2 part ep. He rebooted Battlestar Galactica. Nice to have some visuals for it:
Cory Barlog even got to read the script a few years ago. They now lie around in storage.
Considering it apparently gave Sheev a "sympathetic" incel backstory, I'm not exactly about to decry this show getting shitcanned as "the death of art".

And I'm not really feeling what people are loving here. Sure, it looks expensive, but it looks at least as bad. I get approximately all of the worst prequel vibes possible.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
I never liked Disney as a company, even as a kid WhiteRabbitEXE. They drained the experimentation out of SW, outside of the current remake toon wave that lacks souls and whatnot. I can like a lot of the things they do with Marvel and still see that they are a bad fit for SW. Obligatory Fuck Bob Iger remark [here].

The behind-the-scenes part of the footage is the real deal. A pure green screen production. Totally George! The PT didn´t quite work due to him chasing tech first of all (they still left a huge mark on the industry) but the directorial side of the equation was coved here.
Nice editorializing with the incel remark though. The only thing we know about the script is that the writer has done good stuff before and that Mr. GoW liked it. I could trash the remarks George made about the world of the Midichlorians in his E7-9 but the then final 3 part arc of CW was a very well-received highlight of the show and set all of that up. Midichlorians turned out to be a good idea! Seeing young Sheev wrestle with emotions, why not. Darth Plagueis equally showed his human side and that books sells to this day. He races speeders as a teen and young adult in that one. Him shagging a femme fatale back then makes total sense.

I stand by what I said. This was filled with potential and the YT comments are correct that this looks like 24 or The Shield with how they shot it. Read the attached google doc. What could have been: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DdxDngZpm6acDGOjXTmj6YeFSMO9aI2fNnAc1lL5HOY/edit

Just make a comic/book type deal out of this Disney. Having all of this work sit in the Raiders warehouse has bugged me for a full decade.
This arc where Palps got his new name btw.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
It would have been tons more interesting than the bland nothingness that we got with the mandalorian tbh

Hopefully we get some more live action star wars media that is removed from the skywalkers but isnt so barebones narratively

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Star Wars has mainly been a western, it's a bummer we don't get much of the scifi Metropolian stuff like courasant.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
They really need to stop using the Wilhelm scream. It's far from funny and it takes you out of the moment.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
People being very harsh on test footage which the actual production would have looked almost nothing like. It's proof of concept and such to show off the ideas, the special effects are nowhere near what we would see, the costumes, actors, everything would be totally different when and if it went into production.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Would be cool to revive it for Disney plus. Apparently Lucas had already completed the scripts for a 100 episodes, lol

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Extremely impressive tech, interesting that it sounds like something similar evolved into what helped build Mando and other popular shows/movies.

Lmao what's their ERA username

Yeah it's probably a big reason Mando exists they never stopped trying to get the cost down and the Unreal tech was the missing piece. I kind of hope that the Cassian series is basically this. No reason he has to be the sole focus give me more Coruscant and this vibe with what's salvageable from George's scripts. Just call it "Rebellion" starring Diego Luna or something.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty impressive with how much of the set was green screen, especially being able to have live renders (or prerendered footage or whatever they are using) to reference in the cameras like that back in 2010.

As for the tone, I could see the new Cassian Andor show being similar since that is the type of spy stuff he was doing at the beginning of Rogue One.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
People being very harsh on test footage which the actual production would have looked almost nothing like. It's proof of concept and such to show off the ideas, the special effects are nowhere near what we would see, the costumes, actors, everything would be totally different when and if it went into production.
TBH though, it perfectly nails a lot of the problems of George's prior live action productions, so I think this is pretty representative.