• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017

I vote D: Adam Driver was fucking gone the minute principal photography wrapped and refused to come back for reshoots :P

Oct 28, 2017
Rey can levitate tons of rocks. She can levitate and move herself and rocks for extended periods in precise patterns. She can play tug of war with a spaceship. But she cant levitate herself around the Death Star to avoid falling damage. Git gud Rey.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
Clearly we're finally getting to the real questions of the trilogy. When did Ben first set Rey's tiny heart aflutter?

I've marked down a few key areas where it could be.

A. The torture scene in TFA, because maybe Rey is secretly really into that.
B. When she saw the Swolo, the sheer gains of Han's son.
C. When Ben opened up to her in TLJ, and they kinda...fingerbanged.
D. It's actually her Palpatine blood getting riled up at all the HUGE warcrimes Ben is complicit in.
E. All of the above.

Oct 26, 2017
There's literally no reason in TLJ for Rey to not think Kylo is still a monster. He doesn't show remorse for what he did. He doesn't apologize for killing Han, maiming her friend or attacking her. In fact, he justifies patricide and encourages Rey to kill the past (like he did when he killed his father) so that she can grow into who she's meant to be.

There is not even a single hint of romance between Rey and Kylo in TFA. At best they were possibly siblings. Rian is the one who complicated that relationship and made it romantic... but he didn't put in the legwork to make it actually motivated or believable. The Rey from TFA would never be drawn in by some toxic asshole who she just watched kill her new father figure, her best friend and wanted to destroy her new found family. She's too street smart for that. You are kidding yourself if you think Rian would not have made that relationship the heart of the movies... since well, the romantic aspect was his idea! He's also the same guy who said in interviews that Kylo isn't nearly as bad as Darth Vader and in the fairy tale world of SW is absolutely NOT beyond redemption. Hate on the kiss all you want, I didn't like it either. I didn't even like how TLJ handled Rey even being taken in by him. Rey is lonely in TFA but she isn't naive. Watch that scene where she fights back against him and takes over. Watch how she cuts him down. Why the hell is she risking her life to go save him a few hours later. Makes no sense!

Thank you!

Oct 25, 2017
Only lonely fucking nerds confuse dramatic tension with romantic tension. Just because an attractive girl and attractive guy play well off each other on screen doesn't mean they want to bang. For fucks sakes. There was absolutely no romantic tension between the two of them.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
I definitely enjoyed ep3 more than any of the ST.

Is it bad/wrong that I enjoy nostalgia stuff? I mean with this being a sequel trilogy I definitely wanted nostalgia stuff. Not that I would want that forever and I definitely would like to see something interesting set in the Starwars universe that doesn't deal with Skywalker stuff. However yeah, this being the follow up and farewell to this era of Starwars I definitely enjoyed the "member berries".

Also finally went back and rewatched TLJ again. I was one of the people that didn't care much for it. The Yoda scene is fantastic and the throne room scene is pretty great too. I'll admit I think I enjoy the throne room scene more now because we got some sort of an explanation to who the heck Snoke was though. I still think the space chase is kinda dumb and Finn's entire side story is boring. I'm okay with the way Luke was now too. I just wish we would have seen him in actual action again at least once in this trilogy. When this trilogy was announced seeing a seasoned Jedi master Luke in action was my most looked forward to moment and it never really happens. I mean the projection was kinda cool but I wanted more.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
vzaHbJJ.jpg

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Finally saw it, it was a movie? Can't say I really enjoyed it, but not sure how much I fault this movie or the previous one for putting the trilogy in a weird position.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
How about Solo? I got it from iTunes and look forward to it but everyone seems to trash it.
Saw it after TROS bc I was inured to bad Star Wars movies at that point and was surprised that I found it fun and liked the characters all around. I really didn't get why people seemed to hate it after watching it, but maybe that was bc I was comparing it to the mess of this movie lol

Cystm

Parts of the movie were great. Parts of it were the worst things to be in a star wars movie. Ben being redeemed after committing genocide (And just being a shitty character entirely) is made worse than Vader's redemption, because they gave into Reylo Shippers on top of it all. Ya'll are trash.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saw it after TROS bc I was inured to bad Star Wars movies at that point and was surprised that I found it fun and liked the characters all around. I really didn't get why people seemed to hate it after watching it, but maybe that was bc I was comparing it to the mess of this movie lol
Solo makes it so Lando is riding inside his ex at the end of TROS

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
It's funny that in the only fight they had, the Knights of Ren were killed in like 10 seconds. They went down faster than the Praetorian guards, and Ben didn't even need to fight with Rey to kill them all.

Nov 11, 2017
Parts of the movie were great. Parts of it were the worst things to be in a star wars movie. Ben being redeemed after committing genocide (And just being a shitty character entirely) is made worse than Vader's redemption, because they gave into Reylo Shippers on top of it all. Ya'll are trash.
Never quite understood this reaction because it's really up to you whether he was redeemed. He ultimately rejects the dark side, was forgiven by Rey, and becomes one with the force. I don't think anyone would say he would walk down the street on Tatooine and have people happy to see him.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Saw it for the third time today, and I came away still enjoying the movie. I definitely have issues with it, but it's a fun movie.

With this third viewing, I still think act 1 is where the main problem with the editing is present. Well, mainly the first 10 minutes or so. After that, I think the movie settles. Parts that I thought flew by were much slower than I remembered. From Pasanna on, I think it has a pretty good pace going from there on out. Scenes are a little longer, and character moments are much stronger.

Rey is incredibly likable in this movie. The core trio all are. Poe is a grumpy space boy, but he never struck me as abrasive. Just overwhelmed by what has been thrust in his lap; leading the resistance, which he still doesn't feel equipped to do. I understand him hopping in his X-Wing and getting directly involved in the final battle over calling the shots from a command ship. Why bench your star player when he still has some good games in him?

I really like Finn and Jannah's dynamic, and I only wish she could have been introduced into the trilogy sooner. The way she looks at Finn for guidance is some untapped story potential I have no doubt we'll see in EU content. I love the idea of him leading a group of Force sensitive ex-stormtroopers, and going on missions to help de program first order troops that are still in the thrall of the now defeated faction.

It's Star Wars, so the conflict is far from over.

Another nice little moment I enjoyed from my first viewing, but stood out even more in subsequent viewings, is when the group are in the serpent cave, and Rey hands Finn her lightsaber. I thought it was a little bit of foreshadowing on my first watch, but definitely on rewatch. It also felt like a TFA callback, having him hold the lightsaber again. And hinting that Rey instinctively senses his Force sensitivity, even though she's not actively trying to.

There are also little moments between Finn and Rey that make me think there's a budding romance between them in the future. Like when they're repairing Ochi's ship and their hands brush against each other for a split second. Neither one acknowledges it in the scene. And the few scenes where it's just the two of them.

I also get why Finn didn't tell her about his Force sensitivity during those few moments they have alone. Each of those scenes has Rey distracted and wrestling with her own problems. In rewatch, Finn's face seemed to imply that he didn't want to drop one more thing for her to worry about, especially after Chewie "dies," and the second scene they have together is after she learns she's a Palpatine and tells Finn that her parents were killed on Palpatine's orders. Then they all split up again for the final act, and don't come together until after the battle is won.

The movie has a lot of problems, but the through lines are fine. It's easy enough to read and parse. I don't like all of the editing decisions (I know a lot of things were cut, and I'm very curious to read the novelization), but it's a solid enough film.

Rose's role being reduced so significantly is one of my biggest disappointments with this movie, but she was in it more than I remembered, or at least had more lines that I remembered. Just a bummer that she didn't go on the adventure with the main group. I'm hoping her deleted scenes will be available to see as well. It definitely felt like her role was part of a C plot that had to do with the Sith fleet.

Most stories have a "what could have been" element to them. It's a shame that this one was clearly too big for a single movie, and was tied down with a three film structure. Moving away from trilogies will probably be the best thing to happen to Star Wars going forward.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
To be fair though, if the Knights were to be developed it should have been done in TLJ.
Yeah, I had a post before, the Jobbers were victims of JJ and Rian not being on the same page. Both of them pretty much kicked the can down the line cause they didn't know what the Jobbers were actually all about(and that's far more on JJ since he created them) until you had the finale where JJ rushed through them cause he had so much other shit on his plate.

Nov 11, 2017
Yeah, I had a post before, the Jobbers were victims of JJ and Rian not being on the same page. Both of them pretty much kicked the can down the line cause they didn't know what the Jobbers were actually all about(and that's far more on JJ since he created them) until you had the finale where JJ rushed through them cause he had so much other shit on his plate.
Yeah.

I think Rey/Ben/Luke/Poe/Han/Leia had a decent throughline but obviously the Knights, Rose, Finn, Snoke, Phasma and more had it rough.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if the Knights of Ren were basically just mandated action figure advertisement characters that neither JJ or Rian wanted to have around in the first place. But JJ introduced them, so it was his responsibility to give them importance - or at least personalities.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
2nd time watch had me enjoy it a lot more. It's still the weakest episode barring TPM and AOTC but I appreciate it far more now

Cystm

Never quite understood this reaction because it's really up to you whether he was redeemed. He ultimately rejects the dark side, was forgiven by Rey, and becomes one with the force. I don't think anyone would say he would walk down the street on Tatooine and have people happy to see him.

He's redeemed with Rey, Leia, and Han. Also when he dies along with Leia he becomes one with the force along side her. Never mind all the genocide, or lives otherwise destroyed or even the times he tried to kill or abduct Rey or the people she loved.

He threw his lightsaber into the ocean.

The white male can be the worst human being on the planet and still deserves the girl as always. I am so tired of this bullshit.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if the Knights of Ren were basically just mandated action figure advertisement characters that neither JJ or Rian wanted to have around in the first place. But JJ introduced them, so it was his responsibility to give them importance - or at least personalities.

Kind of a shame because Williams gave the KoR a pretty cool theme.

Nov 11, 2017
He's redeemed with Rey, Leia, and Han. Also when he dies along with Leia he becomes one with the force along side her. Never mind all the genocide, or lives otherwise destroyed or even the times he tried to kill or abduct Rey or the people she loved.

He threw his lightsaber into the ocean.

The white male can be the worst human being on the planet and still deserves the girl as always. I am so tired of this bullshit.
Ben didn't kill people, Kylo did. Kylo didn't throw out the lightsaber, Ben did. These are Star Wars rules.

Leia and Rey understand the forces he was under. And Han was brought back to Ben by Leia so it's not actually him.

If Rey was to hold onto anger and never forgive him, it wouldn't make any sense for a light side user.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
Ben didn't kill people, Kylo did. Kylo didn't throw out the lightsaber, Ben did. These are Star Wars rules.

Leia and Rey understand the forces he was under. And Han was brought back to Ben by Leia so it's not actually him.

If Rey was to hold onto anger and never forgive him, it wouldn't make any sense for a light side user.

The problem is that doesn't balance after TLJ.

Leia and Rey both give up hope, implicitly and explicitly, that Ben can be redeemed. Likely because Rian felt uncomfortable with the idea of Rey's arc being to save Ben and thus removing her agency. Which is what JJ ended up doing, making Rey's story revolve around two men instead of being driven by her own choices,

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
The problem is that doesn't balance after TLJ.

Leia and Rey both give up hope, implicitly and explicitly, that Ben can be redeemed. Likely because Rian felt uncomfortable with the idea of Rey's arc being to save Ben and thus removing her agency. Which is what JJ ended up doing, making Rey's story revolve around two men instead of being driven by her own choices,

Luke's last line to Leia is literally "no one's ever really gone", after she admits she thinks Ben is gone forever.

Of course that's not to say Ben's turn back was inevitable, but Luke didn't want Leia to give up hope. He just wanted her to know that he wasn't the one to turn him back.

I feel like TLJ left many different possibilities for Kylo and didn't really rule anything out. Rey closing the door on him is more her saying "can't get fooled again" than a cast-iron indication that he will never turn back.

I don't think the turn in TROS was done well though. It was not really believable that Kylo would start taking orders from a corpse to start with, having him turn against Palpatine is not that exciting because he was going to betray him anyway. "I have other plans" is what he said earlier in the movie. The film makes it seem more like Ben came back out of thirst for Rey than any real reflection on what he's done.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Luke's last line to Leia is literally "no one's ever really gone", after she admits she thinks Ben is gone forever.

Of course that's not to say Ben's turn back was inevitable, but Luke didn't want Leia to give up hope. He just wanted her to know that he wasn't the one to turn him back.

I feel like TLJ left many different possibilities for Kylo and didn't really rule anything out. Rey closing the door on him is more her saying "can't get fooled again" than a cast-iron indication that he will never turn back.

I don't think the turn in TROS was done well though. It was not really believable that Kylo would start taking orders from a corpse to start with, having him turn against Palpatine is not that exciting because he was going to betray him anyway. "I have other plans" is what he said earlier in the movie. The film makes it seem more like Ben came back out of thirst for Rey than any real reflection on what he's done.

I wonder if a three for all between the Rebels, Final Order and First Order would have been more interesting.

By the end of TLJ Kylo becomes supreme leader and refuses to identify with the Sith, he says to Rey he wants to do away with the Sith and Jefi. So him becoming an apprentice again feels like a step backwards.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018

Of course that's not to say Ben's turn back was inevitable
Isn't that when Luke gives her an object of Han's? I assumed he was talking about him since they hadn't seen each other since his death.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
TROS deserved a Celine Dion ballad as the end credits music truly...

Youtube delivers as always

Funny thing is, the kiss implies that Rey is shallow in her feelings. We were to believe that Ben Solo and Kylo Ren were two diffrent people (Even though it was Ben Solo that was constantly trying to reach full dark side, so Kylo Ren was mostly just an aspiration for him). So my take away is that Rey was just attracted him him physically regardless of how bad his actions were, and before she could find out about who Ben Solo could really be, she just goes with it. Guess she did have her faults? Too bad she didn't get a chance to learn from it. I'll add it to the list of potential story lines that were interesting but they never got to because of no plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.