• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
I could be wrong, but did they even refer to this as the end of the Skywalker Saga before promotion for IX? It always felt like this trilogy was meant to be it's own thing, then they went back and were like, gotta tie Palpatine into this somehow.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Damn learning of all these conspiracies about late changes are more fascinating than anything else, haha. I didnt hate the movie, but will conceed that there is a lot of plot holes and things that dont really make any sense.

A lot of this movie and TLJ feel like they just did things because they looked cool, rather than learning about the history and lore and having it all tie together nicely.

I still think the Finn message was not going to be that he was force sensitive. I dont really give a fuck what JJ says, that makes 0 sense to yell "REY IM FORCE SENSITIVE" right as you are about to die. If that really was their intention, they are even worse writers than I thought.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody said it wasn't sad. But Luke dies feeling hopeful for the first time in years. The movie ends with a young boy looking up to the stars and dreaming of becoming a Jedi based on his story. It's a hopeful and optimistic ending.

I bet 95% of people who saw the prequels also thought it was Coruscant, myself included.

I seriously missed the boy force pulling the broom the first time I saw TLJ in the theater.... And honestly it sums up pretty damn well why TLJ really is special.

Also, folks, do yourself a favor and play/beat Jedi Fallen Order. Honestly a waaay better story is told there.

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I could be wrong, but did they even refer to this as the end of the Skywalker Saga before promotion for IX? It always felt like this trilogy was meant to be it's own thing, then they went back and were like, gotta tie Palpatine into this somehow.
Nope, IIRC they started the whole "watch the end of the skywalker saga" to get more seats in the theater

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
Saw it today.

I wasn't very impressed. I actually nearly fell asleep on a few occasions. I found it really quite predictable for much of the plot, and the 'high stakes'were never really high because any threat of loss was always reversed 10 minutes later.

I also thought the villains were not particularly scary. Kylo Ren just spends the whole movie looking thoroughly miserable while trying to convince Rey to join him, a plot device we already saw countless times in the previous movie (their psychic interactions), and then is completely mute after his redemption and then is killed off.

And Palpatine one minute wants Rey dead and then he didn't want her dead he wanted her to kill him so his soul would enter her body and then he didn't want that he actually wanted to consume both her and Kylo's energies to be fully rejuvenated - what? And of course Rey was never going to take the throne, so any apparent conflict was paper thin.

Another thing which I found very poorly written was the Empire would turn up after like five minutes whenever the gang went to, the universe has never felt smaller despite them trying to cram so much into just two hours.

Despite so much happening there's barely any plot - 'palpatine is still alive' was basically it, and regardless of all the action it was quite dull.

I'd probably give it a 4/10 I guess.

jackal27

Oct 25, 2017
Joplin, MO
Gotta say, I liked the Han moment a lot.

"Dad..."

"I know."

One of the few scenes to get an emotional reaction out of me.
This got the biggest eyeroll out of me. This line felt so genuine originally, like just something Han's character would say. But now it's like a catchphrase almost? Everything in this movie is a damn reference to itself.

Oct 31, 2017
I kinda liked the one in TFA, though? It got the geography thing right, as in you always had an idea if where things were in respect to the base. It even had a trench and flying into a thing and killing it from within. It at least tried to imitate stuff we knew.

JJ was hopelessly out of his dept here, without a single structure to base it around. When you have 100 similar ships in a pattern, that needs some planning.

And they could have done that - have the central big ship with horses on it be the recognizable center. Not just fucking random shots of stuff being blown up.

It's not that TFA's one was bad (though the ground stuff was the most interesting imo); it's that it didn't feel as good as 4 and 6. And it's not because I think old stuff is always better or older Star Wars can't be topped (ESB and TLJ are my two favs entirely), but more that there's something up with how the story is told. Like, ANH's is interesting because years ago, I thought it'd be hard as hell to watch since the movie is the most technologically primitive of all of them. But the editing and music work hand-in-hand in some really fantastic ways. I never got that feeling with 7, though it was enjoyable.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This got the biggest eyeroll out of me. This line felt so genuine originally, like just something character would say. But now it's like a catchphrase almost? Everything in this movie is a damn reference to itself.
I liked this line. It seemed natural to me. Plus, it's clear Ben was going to say "I'm sorry" rather than "I love you".

Apr 19, 2018
And Palpetine one minute wants Rey dead and then he didn't want her dead he wanted her to kill him so his soul would enter her body and then he didn't want that he actually wanted to consume both her and Kylo's energies to be fully rejuvenated - what? And of course Rey was never going to take the throne, so any apparent conflict was paper thin.

Yeah, I thought Palps wanting Rey dead was one implied motive too many. Would have been clearer and more concise if he simply wanted her to come to Exogol to strike him down and take the throne -- but when that didn't pan out, and when he discovered the Force dyad entirely by chance, he decided to take the power grab for himself.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
This got the biggest eyeroll out of me. This line felt so genuine originally, like just something character would say. But now it's like a catchphrase almost? Everything in this movie is a damn reference to itself.

It's like JJ and Terrio get a bonus for every OT reference, no matter how out of place it is.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
It's not that TFA's one was bad (though the ground stuff was the most interesting imo); it's that it didn't feel as good as 4 and 6. And it's not because I think old stuff is always better or older Star Wars can't be topped (ESB and TLJ are my two favs entirely), but more that there's something up with how the story is told. Like, ANH's is interesting because years ago, I thought it'd be hard as hell to watch since the movie is the most technologically primitive of all of them. But the editing and music work hand-in-hand in some really fantastic ways. I never got that feeling with 7, though it was enjoyable.
That was my impression when comparing ANH and TFA.

I saw the OT for the first time just before heading off with a friend to see TFA because I wanted to have the original backstory in my head and found that although TFA felt like it should echo ANH and bring about similar feelings it just didn't.

After I thought it over for a bit I realized that (leaving aside homages which wouldn't be as natural as the originals) TFA just felt too hectic in terms of pacing and that things didnt breathe as naturally.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The more I think about it the more I am astounded by how many parallels Game of Thrones Season 8 and TRoS have with regards to how they were handled by D&B and JJ and their inherent flaws (and merits - which for me means like the cinematography).

I'm also all the more impressed by Avengers: Endgame and how it avoided all the expected pitfalls

Katten

Oct 27, 2017

Oh yeah, I wouldn't even compare them. IV has actual buildups and moments of despair (John Williams work in that scene is fucking half of it) and VI is likely the best space battle ever.

It is hard to feel the same as that with superstar pilot-man there, who just killed like 16 imperials in a single shot earlier in the movie.

But it works as a scene. The one in RoS is just disjointed weird scenes. And the trailer shot of the rebel fleet coming in had me thinking this would be epic as shit, and then it's just... the farthest thing from it.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The more I think about it the more I am astounded by how many parallels Game of Thrones Season 8 and TRoS have with regards to how they were handled by D&B and JJ and their inherent flaws (and merits - which for me means like the cinematography).

I'm also all the more impressed by Avengers: Endgame and how it avoided all the expected pitfalls

Endgame tied up like 12 years worth of movies perfectly. TRoS left you asking more questions.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kinda hated the fact that Rey uses lightning and that's like the only thing in this movie aside from dialogue that displays her inner identity crisis.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
This got the biggest eyeroll out of me. This line felt so genuine originally, like just something Han's character would say. But now it's like a catchphrase almost? Everything in this movie is a damn reference to itself.

The line fit the scene and characters. It's honestly one of the few examples of an OT callback that isn't just pandering fanservice. It was much better utilized here than when they flipped the dialogue in Jedi and completely missed the point.

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda hated the fact that Rey uses lightning and that's like the only thing in this movie aside from dialogue that displays her inner identity crisis.

She literally closed the door on Kylo and went with the few people on the falcon in TLJ. There is only an inner crisis because they invented the Palpatine thing here.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Saw it today.

I wasn't very impressed. I actually nearly fell asleep on a few occasions. I found it really quite predictable for much of the plot, and the 'high stakes'were never really high because any threat of loss was always reversed 10 minutes later.

I also thought the villains were not particularly scary. Kylo Ren just spends the whole movie looking thoroughly miserable while trying to convince Rey to join him, a plot device we already saw countless times in the previous movie (their psychic interactions), and then is completely mute after his redemption and then is killed off.

And Palpatine one minute wants Rey dead and then he didn't want her dead he wanted her to kill him so his soul would enter her body and then he didn't want that he actually wanted to consume both her and Kylo's energies to be fully rejuvenated - what? And of course Rey was never going to take the throne, so any apparent conflict was paper thin.

Another thing which I found very poorly written was the Empire would turn up after like five minutes whenever the gang went to, the universe has never felt smaller despite them trying to cram so much into just two hours.

Despite so much happening there's barely any plot - 'palpatine is still alive' was basically it, and regardless of all the action it was quite dull.

I'd probably give it a 4/10 I guess.

i believe you may enjoy Jenny Nicholson's review more than the movie itself. I did.

Oct 31, 2017
Oh yeah, I wouldn't even compare them. IV has actual buildups and moments of despair (John Williams work in that scene is fucking half of it) and VI is likely the best space battle ever.

It is hard to feel the same as that with superstar pilot-man there, who just killed like 16 imperials in a single shot earlier in the movie.

But it works as a scene. The one in RoS is just disjointed weird scenes. And the trailer shot of the rebel fleet coming in had me thinking this would be epic as shit, and then it's just... the farthest thing from it.

I agree, yeah. TFA's was easy to follow, a very simple understanding of what the enemy was and what was happening. Maybe it'll make more sense on my second watch, but when that main star destroyer with whoever that guy was (the one who killed Hux and served Palps in the Old War) was blown up with it, I didn't actually really connect at the time what happened and why all the ships started to get screwed. He just kind of died.

Props to TLJ's, actually. It opened the movie and, like TFA, had a good sense of geography and what did what. ROTS's opener was criticized for having a lot but being impossible to follow, but TLJ's did a great job of showing you the main enemy ship, what the bombers looked like, the troubles the First Order had with Poe and what his strategy was, what the tension was during the battle and what the mission was. And then I was nervous for this character who sacrificed herself and didn't even say a word.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I also think the difference in impact between the Portals scene and the "They're just... people" scene says a lot
This reminds me, the "They're just people" line was really ringing a bell in my head, like I'd heard something very similar before in a different movie, and then I remembered it was pretty much the same scene as the end of the Tommy Lee Jones B-movie Volcano

And I think I felt more impact there

Apr 19, 2018

Yea this really bothered me too. The First Order isn't the goddamn empire. They shouldn't be literally everywhere. Goddamn lazy ass writing

I was able to look past most of their run-ins, but the FO's huge presence in Kijimi made me roll my eyes -- which I feel could have been alleviated somewhat if Poe's hesitation in going there was BECAUSE he knew of their presence, and not because of his checkered history.

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
They showed her as a sith with the lightsabers as well, and that really made it confusing.

That will never make any sense to me outside of toy sales. That should have been some darkside moment, and here it was just used to make her drop the wayfinder, and make the hour of movie leading up to that moment mean absolutely nothing. Yaya, 4 planets later and we have it!!! Oops, dropped it into Kylo's hand.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This reminds me, the "They're just people" line was really ringing a bell in my head, like I'd heard something very similar before in a different movie, and then I remembered it was pretty much the same scene as the end of the Tommy Lee Jones B-movie Volcano

And I think I felt more impact there
Hahah that movie blows

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

To be honest, I dont think time is going to be super kind to Endgame. In 15 years I think Infinity War will be considered the consensus better film.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
An even better example, The Return of The King. It can still give me the fizz.
I'm not going to compare work adapted from existing material that was all filmed in one massive production, that hardly seems fair.

To be honest, I dont think time is going to be super kind to Endgame. In 15 years I think Infinity War will be considered the consensus better film.
Infinity War works better as a stand-alone film, no doubt.

I don't think that was Endgame's concern, though.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Dark Rey, although that should have been much longer than a few seconds. Her attitude during the planet hopping after said lightning, going off on her own as she isolates herself. That's how I interpreted it. I think the movie did a pretty good job of showing her struggling.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Feb 13, 2018
Japan
I watched this a second time with my family and... I actually kind of liked it this time. I still wouldn't call it a good movie but most of it was enjoyable enough now that my expectations were lowered.

softtack

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Something I wish the next trilogy does is a LOTR run where they actually map out the plot points and film back to back.

You can tell they had zero idea where this would go.
That'd be wise from a fan and creative business point of view. Perhaps stick to the same director(s) while they're at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.