• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 11039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am very confused why JJ chose to have Sheev's child be a good person though?

Like "you came from the worst!" kind of rings hollow when... your parents are incredibly brave heroes?

Just have Sheev's son be a loser disowned by his father who actually sells Rey for drinking money.

Sheev's child being a good person is literally the most baffling thing in this movie.

Yep. Makes no sense. If you're not beholden to your blood, then having her parents be rotten just strengthens the message and better aligns with the previous film.

I have no idea how her parents acting virtuous (in an incredibly contrived way) helps the story at all.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Has there been any clarification about whether or not Snoke was a real person? The way it's told in the movie it could be taken that he was either a sentient person created by Palpatine that was doing his bidding or that it was just a puppet body Palpatine inhabited and literally controlled. I'm inclined to believe the latter but that's mostly because I like the thought of Snoke actually being Sheev in the TLJ scenes.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TiydtKC.gif

I highly doubt JJ even intended her to be Luke's daughter
I agree. It makes sense that her father is palpatine. It makes her story reminiscent of luke's

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Has there been any clarification about whether or not Snoke was a real person? The way it's told in the movie it could be taken that he was either a sentient person created by Palpatine that was doing his bidding or that it was just a puppet body Palpatine inhabited and literally controlled. I'm inclined to believe the latter but that's mostly because I like the thought of Snoke actually being Sheev in the TLJ scenes.
Certainly works well with 1:46 here.

Deleted member 11039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Um, Luke wasn't going to troll him, he was going to try and convince him to stop.

Based on what?

He never tries to stop him in TLJ. It's just assumed that Luke, given his role in the whole thing, isn't the one to try and save Ren. After Luke snaps out of it all he still tells Leia he can't save him and when Kylo mocks the idea Luke simply says no.

And most of the times I see people float this idea it's framed in a way of trolling just as it was here. "Mocking/taunting"

And, I mean, what's he going to say?

"Hey Kylo, I know I never reached out to you while I was alive, but I just wanted to let you know that the whole bedroom thing was just one big misunderstanding. I only thought about killing you in your sleep for the briefest of moments.The idea of killing you was just a quick, uncontrollable instinct I had while I was reading your thoughts. That was my bad. Come back to the light."

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Ugh I would hate that.

He was definitely implied to be a sentient person because Palpatine tells Kylo "Snoke trained you well."

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017

i thought the movie implied he was a clone of palpy with some chromosomal rearrangement (as cloning is wont to do). or that's the head canon i'm rolling with, i'm sure a book or comic will take a left turn from that

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
The reason the bloodline thing is stupid is because it's taken to mean literally.

When Yoda and Obiwan and whoever discuss Luke and how he's like his father, they mean in terms that he is implied to have the same vulnerabilities as his father. In the OT, we don't know Vader's past, so all we know is that he was once a good Jedi and then fell because he was seduced by the dark side. Now, this is actually a plotpoint I have similar criticisms that I have with Rey, because I don't feel Luke has any attraction to the dark side. All that really happens is that Luke gets a bit too angry and wants to kill Vader when he threatens his sister. That's it, it's a very human instinct and very relatable, but I don't think it's something that makes a lot of sense as leading to the dark side when Luke has canonically killed plenty of far less evil people in combat. Yeah, at that point, vader was defeated and helpless, and you probably shouldn't kill people lying on the ground, but it's still fairly small potatoes with regards to who Vader was.

But the point is, if Vader can fall to the dark side, anyone can, and certainly his son who has a tendency to act before he thinks. That's all the 'bloodline' amounted to and it's why Leia never really struggled, since she's a cooler, more even-keeled sort of person. It's not that Luke had the genetic code for darksidedness, it's that he was rash and angry, like his father was.

Whatever the shortcomings of trying to convince Luke is susceptible to the dark side are enhanced a hundred fold with Rey. Unlike Luke, she has no history with Palpatine. Unlike Luke, she has never really had "Too wrathful in seeking vengeance" as a character trait. With Rey, the only thing she had as a vulnerability to the dark side was her loneliness and desire to find a place in the world, which Kylo Ren tried to put pressure on to join him. But with Palpatine, he's like "Here Rey, be completely fucking evil so I can possess your body and rule through you as you helplessly watch from the inside as I do horrible shit."

Like...there is nothing of Palpatine in Rey and to introduce that as a conflict is an absurd decision. It's only credible if you sincerely believe that there is a gene for evil that Rey somehow inherited and is therefore succeptible to it, even when everything about her character is opposed to it.

And it's just as fucking bullshit as it was with Daenerys Targaryen.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't make any sense for Snoke to be a mindless puppet inhabited by Palpatine. His personality is too different (much more theatrical and gaudy with that red room and gold robe), and if Sheev was always there then he should know about the Dyad since Snoke bridged Rey and Kylo's minds.

The visual dictionary more or less says that Snoke was designed to train and be a final test for Kylo, his murder being the last stage since all Sith must kill their masters.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand

Palpatine said "Snoke train you well" to ben.

So First.

Oct 26, 2017
It doesn't make any sense for Snoke to be a mindless puppet inhabited by Palpatine. His personality is too different (much more theatrical and gaudy with that red room and gold robe), and if Sheev was always there then he should know about the Dyad since Snoke bridged Rey and Kylo's minds.

The visual dictionary more or less says that Snoke was designed to train and be a final test for Kylo, his murder being the last stage since all Sith must kill their masters.

The last statement really shows how none of Sheev's plans in any of the movies make any sense.

Because he's constantly looking for Sith apprentices.

Palpatine largely has plot armor instead of anything resembling intelligence, lol. Kind of like Light Yagami but done worse.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's 100% Anakin's fault for not showing up to talk to his grandson largely.

But none of the sequel series happens if Anakin's force ghost does anything so it's a plot hole needed for the sequels to exist.

It's almost like if they'd plotted it out and knew they wanted to do something with Palpatine, they could have had Kylo worshipping him instead of Vader, then when it turned out that Rey was Palpatine's grandchild, it would have meant something more to both of them.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The last statement really shows how none of Sheev's plans in any of the movies make any sense.

Because he's constantly looking for Sith apprentices.

Palpatine largely has plot armor instead of anything resembling intelligence, lol. Kind of like Light Yagami but done worse.

Actually, Palpatine's main goal is pretty much to live forever and uncover the "great mystery."

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
The reason the bloodline thing is stupid is because it's taken to mean literally.

When Yoda and Obiwan and whoever discuss Luke and how he's like his father, they mean in terms that he is implied to have the same vulnerabilities as his father. In the OT, we don't know Vader's past, so all we know is that he was once a good Jedi and then fell because he was seduced by the dark side. Now, this is actually a plotpoint I have similar criticisms that I have with Rey, because I don't feel Luke has any attraction to the dark side. All that really happens is that Luke gets a bit too angry and wants to kill Vader when he threatens his sister. That's it, it's a very human instinct and very relatable, but I don't think it's something that makes a lot of sense as leading to the dark side when Luke has canonically killed plenty of far less evil people in combat. Yeah, at that point, vader was defeated and helpless, and you probably shouldn't kill people lying on the ground, but it's still fairly small potatoes with regards to who Vader was.

But the point is, if Vader can fall to the dark side, anyone can, and certainly his son who has a tendency to act before he thinks. That's all the 'bloodline' amounted to and it's why Leia never really struggled, since she's a cooler, more even-keeled sort of person. It's not that Luke had the genetic code for darksidedness, it's that he was rash and angry, like his father was.
I really disagree on this. I think it's pretty clear from the OT that Luke is uniquely predisposed to becoming like Vader.

source.gif

giphy.gif

Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to the dark side. "And much anger I sense in him, like his father." Luke's anger and fear are evident on Dagobah. The Emperor tries to turn Luke by bringing out his anger. In Star Wars, these personality traits are linked to the dark side.

"Anger, fear, aggression, the dark side are they. Consume you it will, as it did Obi-Wan's apprentice."

And we see a lot of anger in Rey too.

RemoteSparseKodiakbear-size_restricted.gif

ShrillBackIrishredandwhitesetter-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

Whatever the shortcomings of trying to convince Luke is susceptible to the dark side are enhanced a hundred fold with Rey. Unlike Luke, she has no history with Palpatine. Unlike Luke, she has never really had "Too wrathful in seeking vengeance" as a character trait. With Rey, the only thing she had as a vulnerability to the dark side was her loneliness and desire to find a place in the world, which Kylo Ren tried to put pressure on to join him. But with Palpatine, he's like "Here Rey, be completely fucking evil so I can possess your body and rule through you as you helplessly watch from the inside as I do horrible shit."

Like...there is nothing of Palpatine in Rey and to introduce that as a conflict is an absurd decision. It's only credible if you sincerely believe that there is a gene for evil that Rey somehow inherited and is therefore succeptible to it, even when everything about her character is opposed to it.

And it's just as fucking bullshit as it was with Daenerys Targaryen.
Thank you

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Are First Order Really gone?
From movies its look like only Pryde and sith fleet that get destroy.

i thought they essentially became or 'blended in' with the Final Order, like how clone troopers became indistinguishable from storm troppers. only the former transpired in, like, five minutes or something

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I've been dwelling on this, and I've decided i going to rank all the Star Wars films according to how much I like them. But I'm going to rate them using Famitsu's scoring system.

A New Hope 35/40
Empire Strikes Back 37/40
Return Of The Jedi 33/40
The Phantom Menace 29/40
Attack Of The Clones 28/40
Revenge Of The Sith 30/40
The Force Awakens 34/40
Rogue One 33/40
The Last Jedi 33/40
Solo 29/40
The Rise Of Skywalker 40/40 Best movie since Nintendogs and JoJo ASB

30/40

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, you can complain about technical issues with this movie or the pacing or the MacGuffins, but I think fundamentally some fans hate this movie as much as they do because it didn't go the way they wanted. I don't mean to say that in an inflammatory way or anything, that's just how I see it. The arcs, in my view, are totally fitting for the characters. Like many fans grew so attached to their ideas of Rey being Luke's daughter and Luke having a lightsaber duel and were disappointed when that didn't happen in TLJ, fans are now disappointed that things didn't go the way they wanted after TLJ after becoming so attached to ideas like Rey Nobody, when Rian said on Day 1 that that was open to being expanded on. Or Ben having the redemption arc that he did, when he's been pretty headed in that direction since TFA and Han's death left him no satisfaction.

I've known all the major details about this story since August and I've now had months to think about the choices and how it all works together, and I think the whole thing is a really good, cohesive trilogy.
Or people think the movie is bad because it literally introduces a new (but actually old) bad in the opening crawl out of nowhere then assaults the viewer with bad editing, tropey reveals and call backs, bad/lazy plotting, and more.

To me this movie left a similar taste in my mouth as AOTC. I'm not saying they're equally as but. Just that ROTS has a few good moments and things I like surrounded by alot of bad.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I've been dwelling on this, and I've decided i going to rank all the Star Wars films according to how much I like them. But I'm going to rate them using Famitsu's scoring system.

A New Hope 35/40
Empire Strikes Back 37/40
Return Of The Jedi 33/40
The Phantom Menace 29/40
Attack Of The Clones 28/40
Revenge Of The Sith 30/40
The Force Awakens 34/40
Rogue One 33/40
The Last Jedi 33/40
Solo 29/40
The Rise Of Skywalker 40/40 Best movie since Nintendogs and JoJo ASB

Check cleared, then?

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
one of the most painful things about this movie is how close the Leia death/kylo turn scene comes to being a genuinely great scene

could've been a huge emotional payoff if the movie wasn't so rushed

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
TBH, for more absurd as it seems, I don't think their goal was to retcon TLJ.

As JJ said on a interview, he just views Rey as a Palpatine as a greater challenge than her being a nobody
It's why even though i completely hate it i can see a movie where i would come around to liking it

But as it is in TROS it doesn't add anything and feels like a cynical move even if Abrams was genuine

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
saw someone make a good point that most of the people involved in the sequel trilogy (JJ Abrams, disney execs and producers) have absolutely no love for this franchise

say what you want about TLJ, but you could tell Rian Johnson genuinely loves Star Wars

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
I do think JJ does have love for Star Wars. He's just too terrified of the fandom to do anything that will make them feel at all bad so he ends up fumbling everything in this installment.

Which I sort of get. The SW fandom is the worst.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
JJ himself actually talked about the exact things I'd posted and how this continues the idea and theme from TLJ and wanted to emphasize the power of choices, that they were "more powerful than blood."

"One of the themes of the movie is that anyone can be anything regardless of where you're from. I don't know if it resonates for everyone, but I think there are quite a few people who appreciate that idea of not coming from a place that you're particularly excited about or proud of. Though I completely understand 'you're nobody' is a devastating thing, to me the more painful, the more shocking thing was the idea that you're actually from the worst possible place."

And no amount of looking into Rey's mind could have shown Kylo that her grandfather was Palpatine or why they left her on Jakku.

I think JJ wanted to bring back Palpatine first and then worried about what it would mean for Rey's character arc later. That you can interpret the themes behind retcon as being very superficially similar to the way Rian set things up is little more than a happy accident.

I mean, even JJ's explanation there is so totally on-the-nose and unsubtle. In the same way that he thinks he can escalate the stakes of his Star Wars movies by taking things that have been done before but making them bigger (e.g. a bigger Death Star, or thousands of Star Destroyers that are all also Death Stars, or Super Palpatine with GIGA LIGHTNING) he tries to take Rey's emotional struggles and linearly multiply them like it's a maths problem. If Rey coming from nothing was X amount of emotion, then Rey coming from Palpatine will be 10X EMOTIONS! I can't help but picture him making explosion noises under his breath as he writes the script.

Status
Not open for further replies.