• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
I mean after they killed Snoke, they had no where else to go. Rey being is related to Sith Lord is fine but having the main villain dead left no choice. The real kicker was Kylo becoming a good guy and the knights of red being the biggest disappointments ever. Even the throne guards were given more respect

Mar 29, 2018
I double checked the quote and it's "I needed to see it". He literally tells her later on that "you don't just have power, you have his power". Obviously he's referring to a specific kind of power, otherwise there is no point in differentiating between the two. He's talking about Palpatine specific powers.

This is just being taken from the exposition in the film itself.

Yes, the movie makes it confusing. This has been established. It's one of the film's failures.

The whole Sith thing is what's really confusing it. The Sith have a big wild backstory which is far less "universal good vibes" than the Jedi. It's more ritualistic and literal.

I think the idea behind "I wanted to see it" was that he wanted to see the Palpatine lineage's power. In the abstract sense, not specific. "I wanted to see how powerful you are, what the dark side is like in you, because you are the granddaughter of one of the most powerful Jedi".

And what does mega powerful force use look like? Lightning. Palpatine pretty much describes his in RotJ.

Oct 28, 2017
I honestly think it's close. TROS, like Clones, is a conventionally bad movie. The script is broken and the editing is down there with Bay's Transformers. TPM and Sith have some trashy writing but the filmmaking itself is still passable. I honestly can't believe JJ directed something so confounding and so void of emotion. It's beneath him.
I disagree that the movie is devoid of emotion. I think it actually has quite a bit of emotion throughout

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, you can complain about technical issues with this movie or the pacing or the MacGuffins, but I think fundamentally some fans hate this movie as much as they do because it didn't go the way they wanted. I don't mean to say that in an inflammatory way or anything, that's just how I see it. The arcs, in my view, are totally fitting for the characters. Like many fans grew so attached to their ideas of Rey being Luke's daughter and Luke having a lightsaber duel and were disappointed when that didn't happen in TLJ, fans are now disappointed that things didn't go the way they wanted after TLJ after becoming so attached to ideas like Rey Nobody, when Rian said on Day 1 that that was open to being expanded on.

It's not the same at all. TFA is a movie of JJ's signature mystery boxes; it simply asked questions and left it entirely up to the next director to answer them. Rey could have been a Skywalker, a Solo, a Sleazebaggano, whatever. TLJ decided, in no uncertain terms, that she was a nobody, and once it did that was the trajectory of the series solidified. It was no longer a matter of fan theories, it was a directly stated in the text itself. Rey is a nobody. She comes from nothing.

TROS is a retcon. Her parents did not sell her for drinking money and are not dead in a pauper's grave. Rey does not come from nothing, she comes from the most powerful, well-known family in the entire galaxy. JJ didn't expand on Rian's decision, he undid it.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yea I think you're kinda reading a bit much into this. He's not saying you inherited Palpatine's lightning abillty. Sorry I just completely disagree with your read on the scene
No.. if you follow the sequence of events in the film, it's specifically talking about new powers. Otherwise, what was the point of Kylo pushing her in the desert? "I needed to see it.. I needed you to see it." is the quote from the film. What do you think he's talking about? He then later says "you don't just have power, you have his power". It's very, very clear they're talking about something different from what the audience has already seen.. or anyone else, for that matter. He then tells her she's a Palp. Like it couldn't be made any clearer in the movie itself. Then, surely enough, we see the big baddie FULL POWERRRRing with anime lightning into the sky, as his last big show of prowess before being defeated.

If you follow the dialogue and context clues, it's very obvious what Kylo is referring to
Yes, the movie makes it confusing. This has been established. It's one of the film's failures.

The whole Sith thing is what's really confusing it. The Sith have a big wild backstory which is far less "universal good vibes" than the Jedi. It's more ritualistic and literal.

I think the idea behind "I wanted to see it" was that he wanted to see the Palpatine lineage's power. In the abstract sense, not specific. "I wanted to see how powerful you are, what the dark side is like in you, because you are the granddaughter of one of the most powerful Jedi".

And what does mega powerful force use look like? Lightning. Palpatine pretty much describes his in RotJ.
This movie is not subtle, and it's clearly referring to Palpatine's specific type of powers (or powers he's known most for.. lightning), like you said

Last edited:

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
Saw it a second time tonight, after meandering between "eh" and "okay" after seeing it opening night...

Absolutely loved it. My core issues with the pacing still stand, but I just focused on the characters I love, and the lack of breathing room in the editing that I really felt in the first viewing didn't stand out nearly as much because I wasn't trying to keep up, I was just enjoying.

Love The Force Awakens.

The Last Jedi is my favorite Star Wars film.

The Rise of Skywalker is great, and would have been even better had they just added some room for scenes (even several shots) to breathe.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
It's not the same at all. TFA is a movie of JJ's signature mystery boxes; it simply asked questions and left it entirely up to the next director to answer them. Rey could have been a Skywalker, a Solo, a Sleazebaggano, whatever. TLJ decided, in no uncertain terms, that she was a nobody, and once it did that was the trajectory of the series solidified. It was no longer a matter of fan theories, it was a directly stated in the text itself. Rey is a nobody. She comes from nothing.

TROS is a retcon. Her parents did not sell her for drinking money and are not dead in a pauper's grave. Rey does not come from nothing, she comes from the most powerful, well-known family in the entire galaxy. JJ didn't expand on Rian's decision, he undid it.
Like I've said before, he didn't simply undo what Rian did, it adds a new element that makes the truth of Rey's parentage even harder for her, which was the main point of the "revelation" in TLJ.

Here's an interview with Rian Johnson:

So, can I just make the statement, that's who her parents are? They came from nothing, they're buried in the desert, is that for sure?

First, this is from just days after The Last Jedi released in 2017. Rian knew from the get go that this may easily not be the final say on Rey's family.

Second, the point, as he said, was for her to hear the most difficult thing she could hear in that moment. And in that moment, Ben wanted her to feel totally isolated, like all she had was him. Kylo can't even know for sure who her parents actually were, he's guessing, or at best, going by some vague childhood memories he saw in her mind. Kylo is telling Rey this to try to break her.

If Rise of Skywalker had said, no, Rey is a Skywalker or a Solo, that would have been a betrayal of what Rian was trying to do. That would have been the undo button that just made things easier for her. Instead JJ adds a new element, something that is even harder to Rey to deal with. That her grandfather was perhaps the most evil man in history. It's something that makes her feel inherently flawed, so much so that she's willing to exile herself like Luke did because she believes she's too dangerous to the galaxy.

Rey's entire arc has been driven by longing for family, and has been about moving past her biological family and becoming her own person. This is why Rey Palpatine and coming face to face with the Emperor at the end of trilogy is completely perfect. Here at the end of her arc is the utter rejection of her grandfather. Palpatine tells her that he is all the family he has, preying on her longing for her family. To finally be united with her last living family member and for him to be completely evil is her most difficult test, and is the natural conclusion to Rey's trilogy-long arc. It's no longer just that anyone can be special, it's that anyone can be good.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I know this is a dumb question in the series of plotholes in this film, but why wouldn't Palpatine make Snoke a handsome, charismatic leader to rally people to his cause? Why make him look like an elderly goblin?

Oct 28, 2017
No.. if you follow the sequence of events in the film, it's specifically talking about new powers. Otherwise, what was the point of Kylo pushing her in the desert? "I needed to see it.. I needed you to see it." is the quote from the film. What do you think he's talking about? He then later says "you don't just have power, you have his power". It's very, very clear they're talking about something different from what the audience has already seen.. or anyone else, for that matter. He then tells her she's a Palp. Like it couldn't be made any clearer in the movie itself. Then, surely enough, we see the big baddie FULL POWERRRRing with anime lightning into the sky, as his last big show of prowess before being defeated.

If you follow the dialogue and context clues, it's very obvious what Kylo is referring to
The point was to push her to unleash dark side energy? Mighty Skywalker blood is the same fucking line... what do you think that's implying? It implies that that power needs guidance because it's inherently unstable and could lead to the dark side. "He had too much Vader in him."

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know this is a dumb question in the series of plotholes in this film, but why wouldn't Palpatine make Snoke a handsome, charismatic leader to rally people to his cause? Why make him look like an elderly goblin?

Maybe the cloning process was hard. Maybe making Snoke look fucked up makes him seem more threatening.

Use your imagination.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
This is what gets me.

A quirky miniboss squad is like the easiest fucking thing to do, especially if they have some unifying theme tying them together. Knights of Ren are so easy to make cool, they're just lesser versions of Kylo Ren with different weapons. You need just 2 things to make them work: 1 - Give them some basic personality, like have one of them be serious, another arrogant, another jokey, etc and 2. Give them a decent action scene or two showing off the unique thing they can do with their special weapon.

And yet somehow...somehow, they have less personality than basic stormtroopers from TFA. Everyone loves TR8R and those two stormtroopers that noped out when Kylo Ren was having a tantrum. But I can't even remember anything the knights of ren did.

I never thought I'd see the day where I'd reference a Marvel film as a positive over SW, but The Black Order in Endgame is a perfect example of how to do sub-boss enemies. They're unique, cool, and each have their own personality.

Lol. The movie has myriad issues but the highs were damn high imo, and when it finds its rhythm, that rhythm is better than TFA or TLJ. It also had some bold and clever plot beats, as much as people seem to hate the plot.

AOTC remains one of the most dull cinemati(tic) experiences I've ever had, and that's a FAR worse sin. It's literally just shit politics for 2 hours with short action sequences at the beginning and end.

I have no idea how you could rate that above this.

What highs? And, how does this movie have "bold and clever plot beats?" It's the safest, most predictable, most boring SW film yet.

The prequels are shit in their execution and often stilted acting, but the ideas are genuinely interesting. The downfall of Anakin Skywalker. A corrupt Republic falling to Fascism. The Jedi Order being defeated by their own hubris as they act like emotionless intellectuals who are so above everyone and who could never be duped. All of that is wonderful concepts. So, while their execution is flawed, the concepts and themes remain interesting. I'm still left reflecting on their real world inspirations when I'm done watching those films.

TROS has NOTHING of interest to say, no themes it wishes to explore. Then you combine it with the worst editing in the series that would make even Michael Bay blush and a outright terrible script and you've got the lowest rated SW film in history. But hey, those actors can really sell that terrible dialogue.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The point was to push her to unleash dark side energy? Mighty Skywalker blood is the same fucking line... what do you think that's implying? It implies that that power needs guidance because it's inherently unstable and could lead to the dark side. "He had too much Vader in him."
..What? Are you implying Luke thinks Skywalkers are inherently leaning to the dark? That's not "the same fucking line", not even close lol. He was just recognizing the power of the bloodline. Kylo, on the other hand, wanted to see "his power", or dark side abilities. I'm not sure why this is confusing at all, it's spelled out in the movie. "Too much Vader" is different from having Skywalker blood, which just means the Force is strong. Luke says this in ROTJ, quite literally: "The Force is strong in my family".

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, you can complain about technical issues with this movie or the pacing or the MacGuffins, but I think fundamentally some fans hate this movie as much as they do because it didn't go the way they wanted.

I had no expectations of where I wanted it to go. They could have done what they did and I'd have been fine with it if it was coherently told and with less contrivance, as well as having emotional beats that were actually earned instead of just dumped.

Force cloning is hard or something.

Oct 28, 2017
..What? Are you implying Luke thinks Skywalkers are inherently leaning to the dark? That's not "the same fucking line", not even close lol. He was just recognizing the power of the bloodline. Kylo, on the other hand, wanted to see "his power", or dark side abilities. I'm not sure why this is confusing at all, it's spelled out in the movie. "Too much Vader" is different from having Skywalker blood, which just means the Force is strong. Luke says this in ROTJ, quite literally: "The Force is strong in my family".
Dude lighting isn't even specific to Palpatine. You'd have a point if it as power exclusive to the bloodline but it's not.

Too much Vader means he was a bad seed that couldn't be helped

Drakeon

Oct 25, 2017
ConfusedActiveBrocketdeer-size_restricted.gif

TROS is easily the worst SW film. I've no plans to waste money seeing such an onslaught on the senses again. The first time ever I've not seen a SW film multiple times in theaters.
Lol have you watched a prequel recently? It's not even close to the worst.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What? Kylo wasn't the main villain by the end of TLJ?
He always felt like a wannabe for me, didn't have the presence or status of a intimidating, formidable villain, like he kind of fell upwards to his position. Couldn't even figure out he was fighting a Ghost. Because of his internal conflict which was quite apparent it wouldn't have been satisfying seeing him "saved" from himself, it's always hinted he might come back. So no, I didn't accept Ben Solo as the main villain.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's really not though. It's actually weird how fixated you are on that single line like Kylo needed Rey to see that she has the Palpatine power of lightning lmao
He says it in the movie, it's in the dialogue, that he needed to see that type of power that she didn't know she apparently inherited. I'm not sure what is confusing you.

Again, what do you think he wanted her to see? That she can lift rocks or has force healing powers? Bloodlines are completely irrelevant to these things, other than determining how powerful you could potentially be.. that's my point. He's specifically talking about the darkness she has.. because of her bloodline.

Oct 28, 2017
He says it in the movie, it's in the dialogue, that he needed to see that type of power that she didn't know she apparently inherited. I'm not sure what is confusing you.

Again, what do you think he wanted her to see?
Rey has the power to do good or evil, healing (good) .. lightning(bad). Whole scene in the tug of war is her getting angrier and angrier in an attempt to overpower Kylo and she unleashes dark side powers. Her lack of focus and anger during her training is a prelude to this.. with the tree falling down on BB8's head. What she inherited is his predilection for the dark side, not lightning. Lightning is just the ultimate expression of that potential.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Rey has the power to do good or evil, healing (good) .. lightning(bad). Whole scene in the tug of war is her getting angrier and angrier in an attempt to overpower Kylo and she unleashes dark side powers. Her lack of focus and anger during her training is a prelude to this.. with the tree falling down on BB8's head. What she inherited is his predilection for the dark side, not lightning. Lightning is just the ultimate expression of that potential.
This is not something you can inherit

That's not how the Force works

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Attack of the Clones fundamentally fails as a movie having a totally unlike able protagonist and not even a proper antagonist.

(Just after reuniting with Padme for the first time in 10 years) "I'd much rather be dreaming about Padme."

"She covered the cameras...I don't think she liked me watching."

Oct 28, 2017
Not something you inherit? What do you think the Dagobah cave scene is about when Luke sees himself in Vader's mask? What did that portend for his character??

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's not about the force it's about emotions. Also, what do you think he had too much Vader in him means??
I means they were afraid that he'd be like his dad, that he'd follow in his footsteps. Do we really think Luke's aunt and uncle understood how this shit works lol. There has never been any indication that bloodlines determine whether you are a good or bad person, whether you're nudged one way or another. It's simply a measurement of power.

Do you really think the point of Luke's journey is "you're predetermined to be a bad guy because of your bloodline.. hopefully you can overcome this!"

Obi-Wan recognizes that he also struggled with some of the same emotions when he talked to Yoda in ESB.

Dec 31, 2017
Saw it finally. A lot of thoughts, but overall I'm a bit disappointed, even if there were some excellent aspects. The pacing was too much, and the best part, which is Kylo's and Rey's journey should have been the main aspect to this movie. Also unsure if bringing Palpatine back was the right move, seemed a little hollow.

Action was great, and the light saber duel was great. Kylos turn was great but could have been done better at the very end. Overall I enjoyed it but a lil disappointed.

Oct 28, 2017
I means they were afraid that he'd be like his dad, that he'd follow in his footsteps. Do we really think Luke's aunt and uncle understood how this shit works lol. There has never been any indication that bloodlines determine whether you are a good or bad person, whether you're nudged one way or another. It's simply a measurement of power.
No, that's not what he meant. Too much Vader is not about his power but his mental state as his grandson. The kid was troubled from the beginning and that line is implying he inherited some of Vader's qualities

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
No, that's not what he meant. Too much Vader is not about his power but his mental state as his grandson. The kid was troubled from the beginning and that line is implying he inherited some of Vader's qualities
Yeah but.. that's not talking about the Force. They don't know how any of that works. All they know is that his dad became Space Hitler and they were afraid he might too.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm talking about Ben Solo. Leia knows how the force works.
Shouldn't that mean that Leia should also be struggling with the dark side and fending it off? When has she ever done that? She's been nothing bug a beacon of hope, a symbol of the light.

Again, this doesn't mean "the Skywalker bloodline is predetermined to lead to the darkside", lol

Star Wars is and has always been about choice, making decisions that define your character.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I disagree that the movie is devoid of emotion. I think it actually has quite a bit of emotion throughout
I mean, the characters certainly emote, but I rarely connected with the film or the characters. Rey's flirtation with the Dark Side is never convincing or meaningful; Ben's turn to the Light occurs in the space of a single exchange with the ghost of his dad; Finn and Poe do nothing but accompany Rey and shoot things; Leia's scenes are painfully awkward, bordering on tasteless, and her death is absurd.

And I can't stress enough how bad the editing is. Narrative choices are at least debatable, but this what I'm talking about when I say the film is conventionally bad. It's bad in a way that's beneath JJ Abrams. Even he, at his worst, can assemble a competent roller coaster ride that feels good to watch in the theater, even if it collapses in on itself upon reflection. This film is a train wreck in motion -- it's off the fucking rails as soon as the crawl ends. Where am I? Who are these people? Why are they fighting? What is that thing? Where is he going? And then Palpatine delivers some exposition worthy of Blofeld ("I am the author of all your pain!") before fucking off until the third act. Nothing even has a chance to register, much less connect on an emotional level. It's stupefying, dizzying, but it's not emotional.

Oct 28, 2017
Shouldn't that mean that Leia should also be struggling with the dark side and fending it off? When has she ever done that? She's been nothing bug a beacon of hope, a symbol of the light.

Again, this doesn't mean "the Skywalker bloodline is predetermined to lead to the darkside", lol

Star Wars is and has always been about choice, making decisions that define your character.
Yoda: "Much anger in him. Like his father."

Luke's journey is absolutely partly about overcoming that inherited trait in his bloodline.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It is absolutely part of it. Hence the machine hand and looking at his father and seeing the path he's on.
Again. That has nothing to do with the Skywalker bloodline lol. It has to do with the decisions Anakin Skywalker made and the destruction he left in his wake.
Yoda: "Much anger on him. Like his father."
Again, we're talking about two different people, not an entire bloodline. Why does Leia not struggle with any of this? If that were the case, don't you think someone, anyone, would have mentioned that the Skywalker bloodline is prone to the dark side?

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Maybe because she's not training to become a fucking Jedi?
You don't need to train to became a Jedi to feel the Force. Anakin had dark premonitions before he even knew anything about the Force.

Your example is already faulty anyways, because although Luke did struggle, he ultimately did what his father couldn't.. be a good person and refuse the dark side.. which is who he always was, despite his failures. He returned to save the galaxy twice. Not exactly the best example of his bloodline leaning into the dark.

Status
Not open for further replies.