• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'd actually thrown something into my Quote queue from Crossing Eden to reinforce a point of theirs from yesterday, then I just continued to read the thread and all is lost because we've reached the "Don't criticize this for being messy shlock because it's what I want and don't you dare ever do anything else interesting in the mainline series" point of the conversation, along with TLJ having closed all the doors despite people being able to say that doors were closed except man they really closed them argument.

They could have gone anywhere. They could have done anything. By the end of TLJ:

- Anyone can be a hero, no matter where they're from!
- Luke actually embraced the myth of who people thought he was in order to buy what remained of the Resistance time to escape
- Therefore, the Resistance is still alive and can fight back! People from everywhere hear this story!
- Kylo Ren is a monster! He's evil! Can he be redeemed? Maybe! But that's gonna be hard to do!

This could be years after TLJ. A decade, even! The Resistance could have grown based on what Luke did and how that story spread. It also would have been valid for it to be sooner, and the Resistance is small but that spark is helping them grow! Other force-sensitive people aren't afraid to come out of hiding. That could be for both sides, even! Like, I could sit here listing possibilities for hours and they'd be valid. And to be fair, yes, the direction they went with RoS is a valid place to have gone. It's just one of the least inspired and uninteresting ways to have gone with it. Yes, I want to demand better from my entertainment, especially in a day and age where I get more cohesive and coherent throughlines for a plot from fucking cartoons.

As someone already pointed out, the OT was not schlocky entertainment at the time. It's easy to go, "well it was obviously inspired by spaghetti westerns and Japanese filmmakers" now, when back in the late 70s that wasn't the case and it's actually a disservice to the craft that Lucas studied and brought to the mainstream. It wasn't the norm. And it definitely wasn't schlock.

Oct 28, 2017
2 wayfinders.
Dyad
The grandchildren of the Palpatine and Skywalker.
The Skywalkers save the world thru Palpatine's heir after he corrupted the OG Skywalker.
Sith heir takes on the Skywalker name. Achieves balance once again by joining the two houses together.

WonkyPanda

Oct 26, 2017
Did anyone else come to love the film after the second viewing?
I felt disappointed the first viewing, but the film seemed a lot more digestible the second time around.
Things like the fast pacing bothered me little once I knew where the film was going with them.

I'm looking forward to seeing it a third time!
I felt similarly. My biggest complaint was the pacing, which definitely subsided once you had the right frame of scene to scene flow

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Lol come on man. There is no reason why Mustafar shouldn't be recognizable, Mustafar in Rogue One still looks like the same planet

Still this is such a small thing to get hung up about I don't really care.

Eh there's some differences from RotS Mustafar and RO Mustafar. There's lava but nowhere near Episode III's.

But you're right

Mar 29, 2018
No. This is exactly Luke's lesson to Rey, she says "it's a power the Jedi have" and Luke specifically says to her "the Force is not a power you have", then proceeds to basically reiterate that the Force doesn't have an owner, it's not controlled by anything or anyone.. that it's all around us, energy that binds everything together. It's really as simple as that, dude. You have no power without the Force. Midis are just a roadmap to where you could go with it. Midis mean nothing without the Force; they're useless alone. You don't have your own signature imprint of Force Abilities because of your lineage.

For example, once Luke closed himself off from the Force in TLJ, his Midis didn't mean shit. His Force Heritage was completely useless. He was as powerful as some nobody who has never felt the Force once in their life.

Again, there's simply nothing to support the idea that you can have someone's specific powers, because.. that's not how the Force works.

Kylo said he needed her to see, in the desert.. his powers, making an important distinction between her own, and the ones she apparently inherited from her bloodline as a Palp.

Agree on the whole but note the entire confusion is from Palpatine saying Rey will take his power and implying the lightning thing is only something he and she can do

Which I don't think it's right but it follows the logic of what is shown in the film

The movie really muddied the lore waters

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
M3CkrzL.png
WTF ? Where is this from? That would've made me scream like a child.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Agree on the whole but note the entire confusion is from Palpatine saying Rey will take his power and implying the lightning thing is only something he and she can do

Which I don't think it's right but it follows the logic of what is shown in the film

The movie really muddied the lore waters
Yeah, it's just.. bad. We've seen others who aren't a part of the Palp lineage use that ability in significant ways.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I still maintain that they were just really afraid of having any explicit reference to the prequels in the sequel trilogy.

Like, here's Mustafar, but now it looks totally different from what it did in ROTS so it's not really Mustafar. And here are some voiceovers from the prequel era Jedi, but we don't want to actually show Hayden Christensen's face. A few callbacks here, but mostly out of obligation.

The anthology films were a bit more lenient on this, most notably with Darth Maul appearing at the end of Solo.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Missed opportunity to have the Caretakers be pissed at Rey for burning a ship on their island
tWfjMx2.jpg

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Gonna see this with my parents tomorrow, will be interesting to see what they think. I'm going to assume my dad will love it and my mom will hate it lol.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That would've been so damn cool. Imagine if it wasn't just Anakin, too. Imagine if all the Jedi showed up together, showing Rey she's not alone. Luke, Leia, Obi-Wan, Yoda, even Qui-Gon... The Sith are greedy and hoard their power but the Jedi are united and stronger together.

That would've been such a send off.

That was the original leak, and either they were never present or they got edited out. I have a feeling they were edited out because it seems even JJ didn't know exactly how the ending would be since he said to "keep your eyes open" regarding Ahsoka and we know they were still editing till the end of November. Doubt JJ was even still involved in the editing at this point.

Mar 29, 2018
I'd actually thrown something into my Quote queue from Crossing Eden to reinforce a point of theirs from yesterday, then I just continued to read the thread and all is lost because we've reached the "Don't criticize this for being messy shlock because it's what I want and don't you dare ever do anything else interesting in the mainline series" point of the conversation, along with TLJ having closed all the doors despite people being able to say that doors were closed except man they really closed them argument.

They could have gone anywhere. They could have done anything. By the end of TLJ:

- Anyone can be a hero, no matter where they're from!
- Luke actually embraced the myth of who people thought he was in order to buy what remained of the Resistance time to escape
- Therefore, the Resistance is still alive and can fight back! People from everywhere hear this story!
- Kylo Ren is a monster! He's evil! Can he be redeemed? Maybe! But that's gonna be hard to do!

This could be years after TLJ. A decade, even! The Resistance could have grown based on what Luke did and how that story spread. It also would have been valid for it to be sooner, and the Resistance is small but that spark is helping them grow! Other force-sensitive people aren't afraid to come out of hiding. That could be for both sides, even! Like, I could sit here listing possibilities for hours and they'd be valid. And to be fair, yes, the direction they went with RoS is a valid place to have gone. It's just one of the least inspired and uninteresting ways to have gone with it. Yes, I want to demand better from my entertainment, especially in a day and age where I get more cohesive and coherent throughlines for a plot from fucking cartoons.

As someone already pointed out, the OT was not schlocky entertainment at the time. It's easy to go, "well it was obviously inspired by spaghetti westerns and Japanese filmmakers" now, when back in the late 70s that wasn't the case and it's actually a disservice to the craft that Lucas studied and brought to the mainstream. It wasn't the norm. And it definitely wasn't schlock.
I wouldn't say where ROS went was uninspired - a bunch of the plot beats and sequences were fantastic - but the issue is it was such a departure from TLJ like you say.

You can see how TFA set up all this stuff, and you can see how ROS paid off on all of it. But in between those two stories is this bizarre misadventure which broke all the rules established between them.

I like all three movies and I think TLJ and ROS are both mostly great, but they are like matter and antimatter. They are almost diametrically opposed, thematically and narratively.

How did this happen?

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
What's the big deal with the lightning? It's basically always been dark side energy. And that's what Rey was tapping into when she released it.
I've said this multiple times in the thread now, but I don't have an issue with her using lightning. I have an issue with it being tied to inherited powers from Palp. That's not how the Force works. Kylo specifically flew his ship at her so that she could see that she has "his power".

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw the movie for the first time. I loved it! But it wasnt a very good film to be honest.

Had a lot of really cool shit in it but it never gives anyone any time onscreen and to experience it. I mean they had like an entire character arc with Poe and the Daft Punk girl scattered throughout the film and it still probably only took up like 5 minutes of screen time.

It was a very poorly paced and edited film, but it still had a lot of heart to it. What carries the Sequel Trilogy to me is the amazing performances from Daisy Ridley and Adam Driver the most however. Might be the highest caliber of acting in the entire franchise.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
JJ is such a hack he couldn't even fulfill the stupid fanboy things I wanted to see for pure fanboyism. Like, I just wanted the Knights of Ren to do cool shit so I could justify later buying merch regarding them, like their helmets. But, then he made them the lamest dudes ever. I could never justify myself buying Knights of Ren shit now, I'd feel embarrassed.

Just saw movie a 3rd time. Kinda love it tbh. Sure it's got a lot of issues but its also got a lot of heart.

This is a joke. Right?

Oct 28, 2017
I've said this multiple times in the thread now, but I don't have an issue with her using lightning. I have an issue with it being tied to inherited powers from Palp. That's not how the Force works. Kylo specifically flew his ship at her so that she could see that she has "his power".
I believe he said something like he wanted to push her. Which when pushed she released dark side energy. Don't see why it's such a problem 🤷🏻

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
JJ is such a hack he couldn't even fulfill the stupid fanboy things I wanted to see for pure fanboyism. Like, I just wanted the Knights of Ren to do cool shit so I could justify later buying merch regarding them, like their helmets. But, then he made them the lamest dudes ever. I could never justify myself buying Knights of Ren shit now, I'd feel embarrassed.
This is what gets me.

A quirky miniboss squad is like the easiest fucking thing to do, especially if they have some unifying theme tying them together. Knights of Ren are so easy to make cool, they're just lesser versions of Kylo Ren with different weapons. You need just 2 things to make them work: 1 - Give them some basic personality, like have one of them be serious, another arrogant, another jokey, etc and 2. Give them a decent action scene or two showing off the unique thing they can do with their special weapon.

And yet somehow...somehow, they have less personality than basic stormtroopers from TFA. Everyone loves TR8R and those two stormtroopers that noped out when Kylo Ren was having a tantrum. But I can't even remember anything the knights of ren did.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I believe he said something like he wanted to push her. Which when pushed she released dark side energy. Don't see why it's such a problem 🤷🏻
He said "I pushed you in the desert because I needed to see it, I needed you to see it" because she had "his power". It's a problem because it cheapens the way the Force works.. Luke tells us "it's not a power you have". It undermines her power and individuality by providing a reason why she's able to do the things she does, indirectly.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018
1 movie later.
tenor.gif

I really liked the kiss. Sorry not sorry

The kiss was one of the few things in the movie I really fully didn't like.

Their whole relationship felt like sibling rivalry rather than romance or sexual tension. More like Luke/Leia than Anakin/Padme. When it was clear she was gonna kiss him I literally writhed in my seat because it felt so totally wrong.

I mean, unless you're into that.
ConfusedActiveBrocketdeer-size_restricted.gif

TROS is easily the worst SW film. I've no plans to waste money seeing such an onslaught on the senses again. The first time ever I've not seen a SW film multiple times in theaters.
Lol. The movie has myriad issues but the highs were damn high imo, and when it finds its rhythm, that rhythm is better than TFA or TLJ. It also had some bold and clever plot beats, as much as people seem to hate the plot.

AOTC remains one of the most dull cinemati(tic) experiences I've ever had, and that's a FAR worse sin. It's literally just shit politics for 2 hours with short action sequences at the beginning and end.

I have no idea how you could rate that above this.

I just wanted the Knights of Ren to do cool shit so I could justify later buying merch regarding them, like their helmets. But, then he made them the lamest dudes ever. I could never justify myself buying Knights of Ren shit now, I'd feel embarrased.

Now this sounds like a joke to me.

Last edited:

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
i'm just wondering there's a distinct lack of meme worthy lines in the sequel trilogy as a whole as compared to the OG and prequel trilogy. Sure, the OG and prequels had the benefit of age to perpetuate each scenes and dialogues to memes but still...

look at the prequels. from ep1's 'YIPEE!', 'are you an angel?', 'feel don't think use your instinct' to ep2's 'every line of dialogue between anakin and padme' to ep3's 'opera scene', 'it's treason then', 'POWER! UNLIMITED POWER!', 'killing of the younglings', 'YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO BE THE CHOSEN ONE!', 'IT'S OVER ANAKIN! I HAVE THE HIGH GROUND!', 'NNNNOOOOOO!!!!!'.

from the OG trilogy, there's too many to count and all of you guys knew it already.

But the sequel trilogy? I can maybe think like 4 lines/scenes that 'memorable/meme worthy'. 'That's not how the force works' in TFA, 'Let the past die' & 'Leia Poppins' in TLJ and 'The Dead Speaks!' in TROS.

Many of the palpatine's lines in TROS were also seemingly lifted from ep3.

How many times do we need to hear Ian McDiamard say 'DO IT!'

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
ConfusedActiveBrocketdeer-size_restricted.gif

TROS is easily the worst SW film. I've no plans to waste money seeing such an onslaught on the senses again. The first time ever I've not seen a SW film multiple times in theaters.
It probably has the worst script and the worst editing decisions in the series but the acting and some fan-wankery put it above Attack of the Clones snoozedom for me.

We'll see how I feel after the second viewing.

Mar 29, 2018
He said "I wanted to push you so you could see it" because she had "his power". It's a problem because it cheapens the way the Force works.. Luke tells us "it's not a power you have". It undermines her power and individuality by providing a reason why she's able to do the things she does, indirectly.
Uh I think he pushed her to make her lose control and shed lightning, not to reveal Palpatine's power in her.

He says "so you could see it" meaning "see she has the dark side within her"

The whole thing is very ambiguous. Poor show, JJ

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
i'm just wondering there's a distinct lack of meme worthy lines in the sequel trilogy as a whole as compared to the OG and prequel trilogy. Sure, the OG and prequels had the benefit of age to perpetuate each scenes and dialogues to memes but still...

look at the prequels. from ep1's 'YIPEE!', 'are you an angel?', 'feel don't think use your instinct' to ep2's 'every line of dialogue between anakin and padme' to ep3's 'opera scene', 'it's treason then', 'POWER! UNLIMITED POWER!', 'killing of the younglings', 'YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO BE THE CHOSEN ONE!', 'IT'S OVER ANAKIN! I HAVE THE HIGH GROUND!', 'NNNNOOOOOO!!!!!'.

from the OG trilogy, there's too many to count and all of you guys knew it already.

But the sequel trilogy? I can maybe think like 4 lines/scenes that 'memorable/meme worthy'. 'That's not how the force works' in TFA, 'Let the past die' & 'Leia Poppins' in TLJ and 'The Dead Speaks!' in TROS.

Many of the palpatine's lines in TROS were also seemingly lifted from ep3.

How many times do we need to hear Ian McDiamard say 'DO IT!'
The Sacred Jedi Texts memes were pretty good tbh.

sacredtexts.jpg

Mar 29, 2018
It probably has the worst script and the worst editing decisions in the series but the acting and some fan-wankery put it above Attack of the Clones snoozedom for me.

We'll see how I feel after the second viewing.
Funny, I thought TFAs script was way worse. It tried all this humour repeatedly but it never landed. Han et al didn't feel right whatsoever. It was self-aggrandizing to the point of feeling turgid. RoS managed far better to be a rollicking pull yarn with a tight narrative, imo.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, you can complain about technical issues with this movie or the pacing or the MacGuffins, but I think fundamentally some fans hate this movie as much as they do because it didn't go the way they wanted. I don't mean to say that in an inflammatory way or anything, that's just how I see it. The arcs, in my view, are totally fitting for the characters. Like many fans grew so attached to their ideas of Rey being Luke's daughter and Luke having a lightsaber duel and were disappointed when that didn't happen in TLJ, fans are now disappointed that things didn't go the way they wanted after TLJ after becoming so attached to ideas like Rey Nobody, when Rian said on Day 1 that that was open to being expanded on. Or Ben having the redemption arc that he did, when he's been pretty headed in that direction since TFA and Han's death left him no satisfaction.

I've known all the major details about this story since August and I've now had months to think about the choices and how it all works together, and I think the whole thing is a really good, cohesive trilogy.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Uh I think he pushed her to make her lose control and shed lightning, not to reveal Palpatine's power in her.

He says "so you could see it" meaning "see she has the dark side within her"

The whole thing is very ambiguous. Poor show, JJ
I double checked the quote and it's "I needed to see it". He literally tells her later on that "you don't just have power, you have his power". Obviously he's referring to a specific kind of power, otherwise there is no point in differentiating between the two. He's talking about Palpatine specific powers.

This is just being taken from the exposition in the film itself.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Yikes. No it isn't. Not even close.
I honestly think it's close. TROS, like Clones, is a conventionally bad movie. The script is broken and the editing is down there with Bay's Transformers. TPM and Sith have some trashy writing but the filmmaking itself is still passable. I honestly can't believe JJ directed something so confounding and so void of emotion. It's beneath him.

Oct 28, 2017
He said "I wanted to push you so you could see it" because she had "his power". It's a problem because it cheapens the way the Force works.. Luke tells us "it's not a power you have". It undermines her power and individuality by providing a reason why she's able to do the things she does, indirectly.
I mean, why does Ben Solo have the powers he has? Because he has that "mighty Skywalker blood" (Luke's words).

Snoke said the same thing. "When I found you, I saw what all masters live to see. The potential of your bloodline." How is this ANY different? TLJ dialog was just more eloquent about it.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I mean, why does Ben Solo have the powers he has? Because he has that "mighty Skywalker blood" (Luke's words).
..he's not referring to specific powers. He's referring to their potential as Force users. Snoke also says this "the potential of your bloodline.. a new Vader". They both talk about raw strength and power, not specific, lineage enabling feats.

Again, that's not how the Force works

Oct 28, 2017
..he's not referring to specific powers. He's referring to their potential as Force users. Snoke also says this "the potential of your bloodline.. a new Vader". They both talk about raw strength and power, not specific, lineage enabling feats.

Again, that's not how the Force works
Yea I think you're kinda reading a bit much into this. He's not saying you inherited Palpatine's lightning abillty. Sorry I just completely disagree with your read on the scene

Status
Not open for further replies.