• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
If we can kiss our brothers to spite our lovers, but we can't kiss our grandfathers to save their souls, then how are we any better than the space nazi terrorists, Surfinn?

I feel that this misses the point. It's not about what assy canonical line you can dig up that explains why the fake magic crystal can still power the fake magic sword even if it's two fake magic crystals.

The point is that the crystal was broken by the struggle between Kylo Ren and Rey vying for control of the Skywalker legacy, each having found failure in the ideals they pursued. The skywalker lightsaber no longer represents the thing that they originally envisioned, and that is what the broken lightsaber meant - their old, fantasized vision of the Skywalker legacy is broken. But broken does not mean ruined. it means something new has to take it's place.

Which meant that Rey should have been using the lightsaber she gets at the end. New, with her own color, based on her own staff...hers. What is a repaired Childkiller lightsaber supposed to represent other than what everything else in this movie represents, a pandering to the basest instincts the fanbase has over seeing the OT copy and pasted indefinitely.
Im not disagreeing but you're probably right. This is what I get for skimming posts lol

Mar 27, 2019
Just got out of rise and I have to say I really enjoyed it. I think the thing I liked the most was the fact that it made last Jedi completely irrelevant. We actually got a meaningful death sequence for leia and not some fake out. Rey actually got some sort of personality. Same with Finn. Visually stunning movie. I liked that Rey was palpatines grand daughter even though it was obvious half way through. Could have used a few less fetch quests and trimmed down forty minutes or so but overall good. Solid ending to a very flawed trilogy. Rian Johnson should never get to make another Star Wars property ever.

Nephrahim

Jun 9, 2018
Hot take I know, but does anyone else not care whos' using who's lightsaber?

I've always found the obsession with them kind of strange. I get that they have symbolic meaning to the jedi and sith, but it's not like they're the things that let jedi use their space magic. Even Kylo's obsession with it in TFA was odd (Though I suppose fitting with his obsession with the mask of Vader.)

That said, If you're going to copy RotJ anyway, why not give Rey her own lightsaber? Luke obviously had his.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Saying, "Well other movies in the series make use of ridiculous convenience" doesn't excuse this one from doing it. Especially with just how much TRoS chooses to employ just to get from plot point to plot point without any real thought behind what is being introduced. It's pretty egregious.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Man, I completely forgot about the dagger nonsense, but everyone else has already talked about it.

This is more of a nick pick than anything, but I wished that her outfit didn't go back to her TFA outfit. I would have loved if she made a double-sided lightsaber that her reflected her training with a staff. Then again, that continued the them of looking back to the past.
The natural progression for Rey would be that the last film would not at all involve her being tempted by the darkside and her outfit reflecting that unlike Luke and Anakin, but, this film gave very little fucks about thematic relevance...

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
The point is that the crystal was broken by the struggle between Kylo Ren and Rey vying for control of the Skywalker legacy, each having found failure in the ideals they pursued. The skywalker lightsaber no longer represents the thing that they originally envisioned, and that is what the broken lightsaber meant - their old, fantasized vision of the Skywalker legacy is broken. But broken does not mean ruined. it means something new has to take it's place.

Which meant that Rey should have been using the lightsaber she gets at the end. New, with her own color, based on her own staff...hers. What is a repaired Childkiller lightsaber supposed to represent other than what everything else in this movie represents, a pandering to the basest instincts the fanbase has over seeing the OT copy and pasted indefinitely.

Imagining the look on Rian Johnson's face when he found out Rey was going to fix the lightsabre and Kylo was going to fix his mask:

images

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Just got out of rise and I have to say I really enjoyed it. I think the thing I liked the most was the fact that it made last Jedi completely irrelevant. We actually got a meaningful death sequence for leia and not some fake out. Rey actually got some sort of personality. Same with Finn. Visually stunning movie. I liked that Rey was palpatines grand daughter even though it was obvious half way through. Could have used a few less fetch quests and trimmed down forty minutes or so but overall good. Solid ending to a very flawed trilogy. Rian Johnson should never get to make another Star Wars property ever.
Why did you hate TLJ so much?

Oct 27, 2017

Agreed. Keep Johnson away from the franchise from now on.

While I wouldn't be that harsh myself, one of my best friends referred to TLJ as a malicious movie made by a director who hates both Star Wars and its fanbase.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Saw it. Loved it! I liked how the trio was together for most of the film and given many opportunities to interact. The visuals were astounding and some of the big scenes felt like I was watching some perfectly realized EU concept art, like the lightsaber wave battle, the fleet of star destroyers, or the wide shot with Rey and Palpatine's crane looming over everything. Rey got to finally whoop some ass, I think Kylo's redemption was great, Lando was awesome, 3po giving his life to translate Sith was cool shit, the Leia scenes fit remarkably well, etc.

Vidpixel

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite part was when Palpatine gains his full power again and disrupts the WiFi of hella rebel ships only to then immediately die and said ships go back to normal with no consequences at all lol.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite part was when Palpatine gains his full power again and disrupts the WiFi of hella rebel ships only to then immediately die and said ships go back to normal with no consequences at all lol.

Rey's lightning: Straight up annihilates a troop transport with an accidental burst

Sheev's supercharged giga-lightning: Temporary EMP blast that doesn't even permanently damage anything

In conclusion, Rey is a Mary Sue, thanks Rian

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

While I wouldn't be that harsh myself, one of my best friends referred to TLJ as a malicious movie made by a director who hates both Star Wars and its fanbase.
I love how TLJ literally ends with kids raving about how awesome Luke Skywalker is before one of the kids looks up to the stars with eyes that are filled with wonder, hope, and determination for a better future. And yet somehow goobers interpret it as a film that hates SW.

Because it was a contrived mess of fake outs
Remember that time Chewie died and we wondered for a whole two minutes about the narrative consequences? Remember that time Ben died? Or when Poe gets shot? Or when C3PO loses his memory? Or when Rey dies? 🤔

Not answering you dumb fan theories does not=a fake out.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rey's lightning: Straight up annihilates a troop transport with an accidental burst

Sheev's supercharged giga-lightning: Temporary EMP blast that doesn't even permanently damage anything

In conclusion, Rey is a Mary Sue, thanks Rian

Actually Palpatine's lightning destroyed the big resistance ship... I don't know what it's called, but it's the big one they had.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm rewatching TFA and it just feels so much better as a trilogy now after seeing TROS.

Poe escaping that TIE crash makes no sense though.
Unkar Plutt is one lucky bastard, he lives in the middle of nowhere (Jakku) yet he managed to get both General Han Solo's ship and the heiress to the Imperial throne

Clearly someone who hates Star Wars and its fanbase

Last edited:

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Remember that time Chewie died and we wondered for a whole two minutes about the narrative consequences? Remember that time Ben died? Or when Poe gets shot? Or when C3PO loses his memory? Or when Rey dies? 🤔
You forgot when Kajimi blows up and the only two people we know that live there both survive.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Unkar Plutt is one lucky bastard, he lives in the middle of nowhere (Jakku) yet he managed to get both General Han Solo's ship and the heiress to the Imperial throne
Are you implying that the narrative decisions made in TROS has retroactively made the galaxy feel small AF?

You forgot when Kajimi blows up and the only two people we know that live there both survive.
Forgot that one. You see this movie moves so fast that it all sort of blends together. 🙃

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Boy folks are still salty people hating about TLJ. If it makes you feel better TLJ lowered the bar so much that ROS gets a passing grade on a curve.
Maybe if your criticisms of TLJ weren't more relevant to TROS others wouldn't get salty. Or that TLJ lowered the bar so much but is like the highest critically rated movie since the OT lol

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
So I'm rewatching TLJ and something caught my eye.

So Snoke says that he was the one that bridged Ben and Rey's mind in the movie but how exactly does this work with TRoS? Them being a force dyad wouldn't allow them to do it by themselves?

Why is Palpatine surprised when he finds out about the dyad? Shouldn't he know about it since Snoke is his puppet?

No answer, wait for a comic.

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like your friend's perspective on RJ is clouded by hate

I dunno, I consider it a mediocre to bad movie made by someone who shouldn't really have been directing Star Wars to begin with. I wouldn't say it's as much a malicious movie as a movie where Johnson tried to "challenge expectations" while he should've really just stuck to the formula that works. Or they could've had Favreau do it, as he's doing a rather fine job with Mando so far.

Mar 27, 2019

All those examples are standard albeit contrived movie misdirection. Leia space floating out of certain death with zero buildup or justification is in a league Of it's own. So much so that we needed a cgi training session in ros to have it make sense. TLJ is easily the worse SW movie and this is coming from someone who says empire is the only good SW movie.

Lotto

Oct 28, 2017
Earth
Just got out of rise and I have to say I really hated it. I think the thing I hated the most was the fact that it made last Jedi completely irrelevant. We actually got a rushed death sequence for leia and not a genuine heartfelt scene. Rey actually lost some sort of personality by becoming a palpatine. Same with Finn becoming a "Rey!" shouting character again. Visually seizure inducing movie. I hated that Rey was palpatines grand daughter even though it was obvious half way through. Could have used a few less fetch quests and probably used like two movies or so but overall bad. Unsatisfying ending to what was looking like a very good trilogy. JJ Abrams should never get to make another Star Wars property ever.

Oct 26, 2017
Come to think of it, Rey never felt tempted to give into the dark side at all. When Palpatine tries to set her up, it's because she sees his destruction causing death to the resistance and her friends. It wasn't as if she was going to do it out of anger.

Fuck, nothing about this movie makes any sense.

Oct 25, 2017
All those examples are standard albeit contrived movie misdirection. Leia space floating out of certain death with zero buildup or justification is in a league Of it's own. So much so that we needed a cgi training session in ros to have it make sense. TLJ is easily the worse SW movie and this is coming from someone who says empire is the only good SW movie.

Always a good sign when your movie is full of standard contrivances.

Mar 27, 2019
Just got out of rise and I have to say I really hated it. I think the thing I hated the most was the fact that it made last Jedi completely irrelevant. We actually got a rushed death sequence for leia and not a genuine heartfelt scene. Rey actually lost some sort of personality by becoming a palpatine. Same with Finn becoming a "Rey!" shouting character again. Visually seizure inducing movie. I hated that Rey was palpatines grand daughter even though it was obvious half way through. Could have used a few less fetch quests and probably used like two movies or so but overall bad. Unsatisfying ending to what was looking like a very good trilogy. JJ Abrams should never get to make another Star Wars property ever.

Hey. HEY! At least have the decency and internet etiquette to use the quote tags and write "fixed".

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So Snoke says that he was the one that bridged Ben and Rey's mind in the movie but how exactly does this work with TRoS? Them being a force dyad wouldn't allow them to do it by themselves?

Why is Palpatine surprised when he finds out about the dyad? Shouldn't he know about it since Snoke is his puppet?

Even though Sheev told Kylo that he has been "every voice" that he's heard (saying it in the Snoke voice!), the fact that Sheev even said "Snoke trained you well" implies to me that there is a separation between Sheev and Snoke. Sheev crated Snoke, he imbued him with his powers, he guides his path, but I don't think he knows what is going on with Snoke every moment of the day. It's less that Snoke is a puppet for Sheev to directly control from abroad and more that Snoke is an agent that cannot betray him. Snoke probably doesn't even know he has a master, but everything that he does serves his master's purpose.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

Clearly someone who hates Star Wars and its fanbase

The more I learn about Rian Johnson, the more I realize he truly, truly loves all of Star Wars, not just what he saw when he was 11.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017

Snoke is the one who bridged their minds, but the connection is still there even after Snoke gets turned into wet chunks (they can see eachother right at the end when Rey is getting away on the Falcon). I took it to mean that the connection wasn't so easy to break once it'd been forged, and maybe the act of touching hands strengthened it into a much more powerful bond than what Snoke had done originally.

The Force Dyad stuff is obviously just something JJ made up for the TROS script :P

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Come to think of it, Rey never felt tempted to give into the dark side at all. When Palpatine tries to set her up, it's because she sees his destruction causing death to the resistance and her friends. It wasn't as if she was going to do it out of anger.

Fuck, nothing about this movie makes any sense.

Rey suddenly having an anger problem in this movie was fucking bullshit. NOTHING in TLJ or even TLJ suggested it. If they needed a reason for her to potentially fall to the dark side, the desire to have a family and Palpatine exploiting that was RIGHT THERE in front of them. Take all the times he acting grandfatherly to Anakin in the PT and amp it up here. Having him disguise himself in his pre-force lightning form and be the grandfather Rey always wanted, have him actually seduce him with something that might work, given what we learned of her in the past two films.

But no, they went with Rey being a hothead, because poetry, I guess.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
I love how TLJ literally ends with kids raving about how awesome Luke Skywalker is before one of the kids looks up to the stars with eyes that are filled with wonder, hope, and determination for a better future. And yet somehow goobers interpret it as a film that hates SW.

giphy.gif

The hate people have for the Last Jedi surprises me sometimes.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I dunno, I consider it a mediocre to bad movie made by someone who shouldn't really have been directing Star Wars to begin with. I wouldn't say it's as much a malicious movie as a movie where Johnson tried to "challenge expectations" while he should've really just stuck to the formula that works. Or they could've had Favreau do it, as he's doing a rather fine job with Mando so far.
What did he do that challenged expectations? As far as I can tell the only thing about that is killing Snoke. But if he didn't and followed what Abrams did in TFA then he would get shit for just rehashing the exact same story beats (like TFA did with ANH).

I'm also not sure how your friend got the perception that he hates Star Wars or the fans considering all of his quotes and interactions have been pretty positive and representative of a fan of the IP.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Rey suddenly having an anger problem in this movie was fucking bullshit. NOTHING in TLJ or even TLJ suggested it. If they needed a reason for her to potentially fall to the dark side, the desire to have a family and Palpatine exploiting that was RIGHT THERE in front of them. Take all the times he acting grandfatherly to Anakin in the PT and amp it up here. Having him disguise himself in his pre-force lightning form and be the grandfather Rey always wanted, have him actually seduce him with something that might work, given what we learned of her in the past two films.

I remember reading that there was a cut plotline where she had trouble connecting to the more spiritual side of the force and that frustrating to her. Wich makes sense, the climax of the movie is her finaly getting in tough with "all the Jedi", or whatever that was.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

When Rebels does the Emperor exploiting your need for parental love better than the fucking multi million dollar movie

And yes, that's Ian giving a much better performance.

Oct 26, 2017

"Sticking to the formula" is why you get mediocre trash like the prequels and Rise of Skywalker.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Rey did have some angry/dark moments, like during the fight with kylo in TFA, or in TLJ when Luke was like "you went straight to the dark."

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
All those examples are standard albeit contrived movie misdirection.
No they are not. Especially not with such frequency in a movie that is nearly three hrs long.
Leia space floating out of certain death with zero buildup or justification is in a league Of it's own.
Surely we should just ignore all those times that she was shown to be force sensitive and should assume that she never once trained with Luke ever.

So much so that we needed a cgi training session in ros to have it make sense
source.gif

tumblr_psajxwc8An1x4luvco7_250.gifv

fgznTxyRcoylA7vzZJLrHKHTs1YHGAc_OK1wi5Dg-Z8.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
What did he do that challenged expectations? As far as I can tell the only thing about that is killing Snoke. But if he didn't and followed what Abrams did in TFA then he would get shit for just rehashing the exact same story beats (like TFA did with ANH).

I'm also not sure how your friend got the perception that he hates Star Wars or the fans considering all of his quotes and interactions have been pretty positive and representative of a fan of the IP.

What annoyed me the most, I think, about TLJ was what they did to Luke as a character. There's a ton of EU/Legends material about Luke post-ROTJ and what he became, but Johnson's script turned him into a mildly deranged hobo living alone on some craggy island. That whole casino sequence was also way too long and not particularly interesting. TLJ isn't as bad as Episode I (Episode II is mostly just horribly boring), but for me it's down there as one of the worst parts of the Skywalker saga.

Personally I was pleased with TFA not trying to do much more than update ANH for a new generation. I don't really watch a movie series about space wizards to get some new and groundbreaking ideas and takes, I watch it to be entertained. After PJ fucked up the Tolkien movies with the Hobbit trilogy, Star Wars is my goto for LotR but in space.

Mar 27, 2019
No they are not. Especially not with such frequency in a movie that is nearly three hrs long.

Surely we should just ignore all those times that she was shown to be force sensitive and should assume that she never once trained with Luke ever.

source.gif

tumblr_psajxwc8An1x4luvco7_250.gifv

fgznTxyRcoylA7vzZJLrHKHTs1YHGAc_OK1wi5Dg-Z8.jpg

I'll never get tired of people trying to retcon all the problems with the TLJ with minutia and assumptions because Rian Johnson can't tell a visual story. My favorite time was this guy citing a passage in the EU. Rock on. ROS was contrived for sure but TLJ is in its own galaxy with how bad it is.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017

Johnson gets the Star Wars franchise at a much deeper level than JJ Abrams. There's a reason why TLJ is rated highly by those in the Lucasfilm Story Group and Abram's films are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.