• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why couldn't Snoke just be some evil Sith Lord that rose to power after the fall of the empire and got killed due to his own hubris like every other Sith Lord ever. Why do we need to connect him to Palpatine too.

Bor Gullet won. This whole universe just revolves around fucking Sheev.
11031.jpg

Making Snoke a Palps pawn is an easy way to explain the character away while moving foward with the plot.

The details will all be filled out in a upcoming comic I'm sure.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Remember when the Chewie went out on foot to chase Rey (????), and the crew could visually see Chewie get captured and put on a transport that Rey blew up but somehow it wasn't the same transport?

The funniest part about that scene in retrospect is that the other transport was presumably on the other side of the cliff they took off from

It'd have taken one of them looking out of the window to see that hey, Chewie's alright

I also like the implication that all of the stormtroopers in said transport also didn't peek around the corner at all the fuss of their comrades literally exploding

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Here is who chanted for Palps 2.0 btw:
starwars.fandom.com

Sith Eternal

The galaxy has long trembled before the might of those who have sworn to execute my grand design. But the most committed of my followers have gone unseen, operating in secrecy here on Exegol. Seeking only my glory, the Sith Eternal have never wavered in their devotion.Darth Sidious The Sith...
The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary should be a free app with every film ticket at this point.

They are Sith Troopers and that build a few hundred of these Xyston-class Star Destroyers. Aha.

One battalion is made out of 5000 troops and there are 105 at least due to the 105th Battalion.

THIS man wrote the film:
BucZF.gif

ONE MILLION TROOPS! Or half that in Sith troops alone. Legends was less bonkers...

Last edited:

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Remember when we hear of this weird ultra rare medalian for the first time that just happens to be the only thing that would allow the crew to rescue Chewie.

Zorii: "Poe, it took me years to get this. It's the only way I'll ever get off this planet. I want you to have it, and just remember that without this medallion I definitely can't get off this planet."

*planet later blows up*

Zorii: "Hey guys what's up I'm fine"

FunkyMonkey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
also, they capture chewie and then just leave

THEY JUST LEAVE

they are literally right there next to the ship and could capture all of them and they fucking leave

this movie gets worse and worse the more i digest it

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
It's odd looking at the Last Jedi and Rise of Skywalker on rotten tomatoes. TLJ has a good critic score but bad audience scores while TROS has bad critic scores but good audience scores.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
So many years of fans bitching about not seeing the Knights of Ren, I hope they were satisfied with the weak ass mid-level bosses they got. The movie simultaneously tried so hard and so little to make them imposing

It's odd looking at the Last Jedi and Rise of Skywalker on rotten tomatoes. TLJ has a good critic score but bad audience scores while TROS has bad critic scores but good audience scores.

audience scores are almost always useless, but doubly so in the last jedis case. That movie was review bombed pretty hard by shitty little Star Wars fans

SpookyLettuce

May 26, 2018
Finn: Is nothing but nice to Rey, supports her, offers words of encouragement, asks her nicely to join him away from TFO, and then risks his entire life and the fate of the Resistance to rescue Rey from Starkiller Base.

He gets a hug.

Kylo Ren: Murders countless innocents, captures Rey, tortures her, taunts and degrades her constantly, tries to kill her on several occasions, yells at her and demands that she join him, and kills both her surrogate fathers. This all within the first week of meeting her. Later helps save her life from the evil emperor that he lured her to in the first place.

Gets deep, longing kiss.

JJ Abrams: A love story for the ages.

Uhh. I've seen this sentiment a little here and there and like, I get that romance in general tends to be a point of contention, but this feels like it's bordering on the whole "nice guy/who deserves the girl more" mentality that I...am not a fan of.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
After Snoke's guards the Knights of Ren were always going to be redundant

Ben fighting the Knights though is nice because he's fighting against the people who corrupted him in the beginning.

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
I find it ironic that JJ is clearly pressed about Rian shitting on his mystery boxes and yet he turns the knights of ren into useless henchmen

FunkyMonkey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ALSO how the fuck did kylo get so beat up by the knights of ren jobbers? HE CAN STILL USE THE FORCE. earlier in the same damn movie he is throwing people around and into the ceiling with no effort.

all of a sudden it's "ah good sirs you have caught me off guard without my light saber, i still use... FISTICUFFS"

oh that's right, because the scene needed to written and weighted for him receiving the light saber and killing them. bullshit all the way

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If y'all didnt mentally yelled "UNLIMITED POWAH" in that Sheev force lightning scene y'all are dead on the inside.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Zorii: "Poe, it took me years to get this. It's the only way I'll ever get off this planet. I want you to have it, and just remember that without this medallion I definitely can't get off this planet."

*planet later blows up*

oh god, yeah. she was actually a character i was slightly interested but i knew not to get too attached because the movie moved too quickly to mkae her meaningful.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Uhh. I've seen this sentiment a little here and there and like, I get that romance in general tends to be a point of contention, but this feels like it's bordering on the whole "nice guy/who deserves the girl more" mentality that I...am not a fan of.

First off, the point of the "nice guys" meme is that they aren't actually nice guys. They are only nice cuz they want sex and turn mean. and possibly violent, when rejected. Finn is actually a legit nice person who only ever supports Rey.

Second, in a film for children, basic logic dictates that the characters who are nice to each other and support each other should be the ones that become romantic not the evil villain that is nothing but horrible.

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California

*planet later blows up*

Didn't she need that to get past First Order blockades(That's how the heroes used it). Would there be a blockade in place preventing takeoff/landing surrounding a planet about to be destroyed? It was never about her being physically unable to leave the planet.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
The he fucks Lightsabers joke explained:
Screen_Shot_2019_12_18_at_2.35.26_PM.png

These are 30-page comics and not 20 as I once wrongly said.

This film and the comic (+ the Snoak one-shot) go out of their way to retcon TLJ. It´s the point of them. That film might as well not exist in like a year if this goes on and we still have to unpack E7. What a well-planed trilogy.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
I found it interesting about ROS that it was Finn who had Force powers and not Poe.
Star Wars: Shattered Empire is written by Greg Rucka and came out months before FTA in 2015. Luke gifts his mother a Force-sensitive tree that is a shoot from the one in the Jedi temple in the PT. Luke keeps the other but we don´t know where it is was planted, I think.
That comic was also where Ben was conceived on Endor (a nod to Legends canon). The last page in front of Poe´s childhood home on Yavin 4:
IMG_01162.jpg

SpookyLettuce

May 26, 2018
First off, the point of the "nice guys" meme is that they aren't actually nice guys. They are only nice cuz they want sex and turn mean. and possibly violent, when rejected. Finn is actually a legit nice person who only ever supports Rey.

Second, in a film for children, basic logic dictates that the characters who are nice to each other and support each other should be the ones that become romantic not the evil villain that is nothing but horrible.
Eh, I'd say the "nice guy" thing is a bit broader than that, like I've seen it applied where a guy in general thinks he "deserves" a girl more (usually over other guys) because he was nicer to her, and treating her more-or-less as a prize to be won.

And yeah, Finn is a genuinely nice dude who wouldn't think that way, but your general sentiment itself still sort of expresses that mentality because you're arguing that he's essentially more "deserving" of Rey since he was kind to her and risked his life for her, as if as a reward for that behavior.

And in this same film, the villain undergoes a redemption arc and turns to the light before any real romance comes to fruition. Hell, he sacrifices himself to save her life. If Rey had kissed him before he'd turned then of course that would ring false, but that's not what happened.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Given the length of this thread, I'm curious as to whether anyone could point me toward some of the more insightful posts from this thread about how this movie is worse than the previous two in the series...or maybe a video review or something that thoroughly explains this way of thinking. The Rise of Skywalker certainly has a lot of problems, but I'm not understanding the narrative that it's somehow reversing course on a bunch of stuff from earlier in the trilogy. Any arguments in this thread that cite specific details and reasoning (or videos doing the same) would be greatly appreciated. Frankly, while the movie's definitely overly long and could easily been cut down considerably without losing much, I think that's sort of the trend with this trilogy in general. I think The Rise of Skywalker at least comes out ahead of the other two movies in the trilogy because of the action scenes.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Eh, I'd say the "nice guy" thing is a bit broader than that, like I've seen it applied where a guy in general thinks he "deserves" a girl more (usually over other guys) because he was nicer to her, and treating her more-or-less as a prize to be won.

And yeah, Finn is a genuinely nice dude who wouldn't think that way, but your general sentiment itself still sort of expresses that mentality because you're arguing that he's essentially more "deserving" of Rey since he was kind to her and risked his life for her, as if as a reward for that behavior.

And in this same film, the villain undergoes a redemption arc and turns to the light before any real romance comes to fruition. Hell, he sacrifices himself to save her life. If Rey had kissed him before he'd turned then of course that would ring false, but that's not what happened.
The problem is that they had no romantic or sexual chemistry/cohesion before the turn. Nearly of their interactions have been based on negative emotions/death/destruction/anger. Which makes the shift feel completely abrupt and unearned.. there was no foundation there to justify the kiss. It just happens, and then the movie is over. The moment exists simply to appease fans who wanted it.

And the one time there was anything close to positivity surrounding their interactions, Kylo decides he wants to rule and become Supreme Leader Hilter, rejecting the chance to join/help Rey and the resistance.. something that would actually work toward building some kind of believable relationship (as a first step, anyway).

I'm also fine with her not being with anybody, but if you're gunna do it, it actually makes some kind of sense for it to be Finn.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
TROS visual dictionary mentions the World Between Worlds in the sacred Jedi texts. I still wonder if that will be used for Ben.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw it and thought it was okay. Very dissatisfying in parts and the pacing was way too fast when it didn't need to be. Parts of the story were just chasing keys and that could have been streamlined.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
TROS visual dictionary mentions the World Between Worlds in the sacred Jedi texts. I still wonder if that will be used for Ben.
Doubt it.

Saving Ahsoka from being killed by Vader changes nothing.

If you pull Ben from dying from reviving Rey then Rey never gets revived, the emperor wins. You can have one or the other unless you straight up go to an alternate timeline.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
The problem is that they had no romantic or sexual chemistry/cohesion before the turn. Nearly of their interactions have been based on negative emotions/death/destruction/anger. Which makes the shift feel completely abrupt and unearned.. there was no foundation there to justify the kiss. It just happens, and then the movie is over. The moment exists simply to appease fans who wanted it.

And the one time there was anything close to positivity surrounding their interactions, Kylo decides he wants to rule and become Supreme Leader Hilter, rejecting the chance to join/help Rey and the resistance.. something that would actually work toward building some kind of believable relationship (as a first step, anyway).

I'm also fine with her not being with anybody, but if you're gunna do it, it actually makes some kind of sense for it to be Finn.
The fact that Kylo Ren and Rey are bound together by the Force by Snoke justifies their eventual feelings for one another. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that being able to see into someone's thoughts to that extent could result in some level of romance when you consider the other events that take place. It's not as though they're immediately head-over-heels in love with one another, but I think they form an understanding of one another and can empathize with one another on some level. It doesn't matter how Finn acts toward Rey in this regard, because Rey still feels isolated from those around her, but she finds some similarity with herself in Kylo Ren.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
After Snoke's guards the Knights of Ren were always going to be redundant

Ben fighting the Knights though is nice because he's fighting against the people who corrupted him in the beginning.
Not really they didn't corrupt him Snoke and in the movie their actual history and relationship isn't clear

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The fact that Kylo Ren and Rey are bound together by the Force by Snoke justifies their eventual feelings for one another. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that being able to see into someone's thoughts to that extent could result in some level of romance when you consider the other events that take place. It's not as though they're immediately head-over-heels in love with one another, but I think they form an understanding of one another and can empathize with one another on some level. It doesn't matter how Finn acts toward Rey in this regard, because Rey still feels isolated from those around her, but she finds some similarity with herself in Kylo Ren.
No it doesn't. Having a connection through the Force doesn't justify having a romance. You have to build and earn that on screen, which didn't happen.

In TLJ, they were connected by what they wanted from each other, not because they built any kind of foundation. Rey was desperate and went to him simply because of a Force vision.. because she thought he was the one who could save the resistance. Without that vision and his explanation of what happened with Luke, she would have continued hating him and wanting him dead.

Ren thought she would turn and join him.. that she'd want what he did, to start over, to let everything go.

Again, there's not an established romantic connection.. or even a platonic one. The ending of TFA and beginning of TLJ contain two separate instances where Rey tries to kill him with a blaster lol. Their interactions mostly consist of murder/anger/hatred, besides a Force vision in TLJ and a few brief moments in TROS.

The kiss is just.. kind of there. And again, just fades away into nothing to end the movie. Ben is just gone.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Doubt it.

Saving Ahsoka from being killed by Vader changes nothing.

If you pull Ben from dying from reviving Rey then Rey never gets revived, the emperor wins. You can have one or the other unless you straight up go to an alternate timeline.
I'm thinking more about where he disappeared to, since he didn't appear as a Force ghost in the end. Although he's most likely just dead.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
No it doesn't. Having a connection through the Force doesn't justify having a romance. You have to build and earn that on screen, which didn't happen.

In TLJ, they were connected by what they wanted from each other, not because they built any kind of foundation. Rey was desperate and went to him simply because of a Force vision.. because she thought he was the one who could save the resistance. Without that vision and his explanation of what happened with Luke, she would have continued hating him and wanting him dead.

Ren thought she would turn and join him.. that she'd want what he did, to start over, to let everything go.

Again, there's not an established romantic connection.. or even a platonic one. The ending of TFA and beginning of TLJ contain two separate instances where Rey tries to kill him with a blaster lol. Their interactions mostly consist of murder/anger/hatred, besides a Force vision in TLJ and a few brief moments in TROS.

The kiss is just.. kind of there. And again, just fades away into nothing to end the movie. Ben is just gone.
I'm not saying that the connection itself guarantees that they're gonna hit it off. I'm saying that the things they experienced and learned about one another as a result of that connection very well could've stoked their feelings for one another. That said, Rey clearly differentiates between Kylo Ren and Ben, basically treating them as separate entities. While I didn't mention him by the name Ben in my previous post, I feel the need to point out the fact that it's not unreasonable to think that Rey could be attracted to Ben and repulsed by Kylo Ren. The kiss isn't even anywhere close to being the biggest problem with this movie.

Jinroh

Oct 28, 2017
Lausanne, Switzerland
I found it interesting about ROS that it was Finn who had Force powers and not Poe.
Star Wars: Shattered Empire is written by Greg Rucka and came out months before FTA in 2015. Luke gifts his mother a Force-sensitive tree that is a shoot from the one in the Jedi temple in the PT. Luke keeps the other but we don´t know where it is was planted, I think.
That comic was also where Ben was conceived on Endor (a nod to Legends canon). The last page in front of Poe´s childhood home on Yavin 4:
I always thought it was implied Poe was force sensitive because of his extraordinary piloting skills. He's godlike in TFA and the beginning of TLJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.