• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deckerd

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe this multi-billion dollar property did not have a coherent story planned out. The whole ST was a string of fanservice with some flashes of good ideas that went nowehere.

Oct 27, 2017
The core idea of the script isn't bad. A fun Indiana Jones with the trio, Kylo's redemption arc, Palpatine's involvement to explain Snoke and tie the films together.

The problem is that the film absolutely bungles these ideas, and perhaps the biggest problem is because of the pacing and editing. Though the script absolutely needed a few re-writes.

At worst I was expecting TROS to be Abrams Star Trek: Into Darkness. A shitty script turned into an easy to follow action movie. TROS couldn't even do that.

For one, I HATED Into Darkness and thought it was easily the weakest of the new ST movies.

Editing wouldn't have fixed the glaring issues with the TROS script. It would have still been the characters jumping from mcguffin to mcguffin before the final confrontation. Yeah, those could have been spread out and paced better, but "sith dagger with blade shaped exactly like death star wreckage" was always going to be incredibly dumb. Rey being Palpatines daughter was always going to be nonsensical and worse than her being a nobody. The Knights of Ren being glorified scouts and putting up less of a fight than the Praetorian guards was always going to be a huge waste. So many things couldn't be salvaged with better editing. I major plot beats, however spread out or reorganized, were fundamentally awful

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
I honestly would have rather they not used the Knights of Ren, who were very obviously not given lightsabers because it would muck with the Sith story and also make their beatdown scene make no sense, than use them poorly.
The mess with Sith story excuse doesn't even make sense. Kylo Ren isn't a Sith, Snoke isn't a Sith neither had a Darth title why were they bothering to follow that specific convention.

Knights of Ren would have been useful goon's if the Finn being force sensitive storyline was followed though the entire trilogy. Would have given him some dark side users to face off against whilst Rey fought Ren.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As obnoxious and dumb as this is, I can't stop laughing over how over the top it is

I never fail to crack up when someone in there yells I FUCKING HATE STAR WARS

LMAO @ the people getting up and putting on their coats.

spongebob.jpg

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For one, I HATED Into Darkness and thought it was easily the weakest of the new ST movies.

Editing wouldn't have fixed the glaring issues with the TROS script. It would have still been the characters jumping from mcguffin to mcguffin before the final confrontation. Yeah, those could have been spread out and paced better, but "sith dagger with blade shaped exactly like death star wreckage" was always going to be incredibly dumb. Rey being Palpatines daughter was always going to be nonsensical and worse than her being a nobody. The Knights of Ren being glorified scouts and putting up less of a fight than the Praetorian guards was always going to be a huge waste. So many things couldn't be salvaged with better editing. I major plot beats, however spread out or reorganized, were fundamentally awful

Oh man, the Knights of Ren. I knew they would be total jobbers, but they literally did nothing in the film.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The core plot isn't bad. Maybe a bit too similar to ROTJ, but after TFA, were you expecting anything else? I read the entire leaked plot months before the film came out. While I had my concerns about some of the specifics (Rey being Palps grandaughter), I thought for sure the overall plot was a home run for a fun adventure movie.... like TFA.

JJ totally wiffed that, and that's on him. Not on the script.
We're just gonna have to agree to disagree if you think the core plot isn't bad.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

How is Rey being a Palpatine nonsensical?

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the Sith thing was literal either.
The Jedi part wasn't literal. We heard the Force ghosts. They were supporting Rey and were probably giving her energy or something, anime style. But they weren't merging with her or anything.

The Sith, however, were very literally all inside Palpatine apparently, and Palpatine wanted them all and himself into Rey's body.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I still can't quite process what an odd experience this film was. As soon as the crawl comes up you can sense that the audience has already furrowed their brows and then the movie blasts off without explaining what the hell is going on.

I know it's just fanwank but I spent literally 5 minutes trying to come up with a crawl that could have outlined a more sensible Episode IX.

"The galaxy is in mourning. General LEIA ORGANA has become one with the Force but she leaves behind a RESISTANCE empowered by the miraculous reappearance of LUKE SKYWALKER.

Before her death, Organa instructed Skywalker's final student, REY, to seek out those who can feel the Force and convince them to join the fight against the FIRST ORDER.

Supreme Leader KYLO REN, consumed by rage after his humiliation at the Battle of Crait, orders the vicious KNIGHTS OF REN to exterminate anyone who dares to follow the path of the JEDI..."

In December 2017, this is where I thought we were headed. I didn't think we would end up with Indiana Rey and the Dragonball of Sheev: Endgame.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We're just gonna have to agree to disagree if you think the core plot isn't bad.

I should probably leave it alone, but really TFA has a dumb core plot too. A repacked ANH with another death star... except it's 10 bigger and it can draw the power of the sun and destroy multiple planets at the same time!

But TFA works because it's well paced and has a cohesive narrative. This does not.

Oct 27, 2017
Nonsense in the sense it seemed to have been thrown in just to bring back Palpatine, undermines the idea that you can still be great despite coming from nobodies, and was weakly used to show why she occasionally flirted with the dark side and could use force lightning instead of just having that be something that could happen to any force user who gave into anger (ie. Luke in ROTJ).

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nonsense in the sense it seemed to have been thrown in just to bring back Palpatine, undermines the idea that you can still be great despite coming from nobodies, and was weakly used to show why she occasionally flirted with the dark side and could use force lightning instead of just having that be something that could happen to any force user who gave into anger (ie. Luke in ROTJ).
So it makes sense then gotcha.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I should probably leave it alone, but really TFA has a dumb core plot too. A repacked ANH with another death star... except it's 10 bigger and it can draw the power of the sun and destroy multiple planets at the same time!

But TFA works because it's well paced and has a cohesive narrative. This does not.
TFA has writing that makes sense for its characters. It's got major issues with some of the plotting, like Starkiller base, but the framework is good enough. The core plot, bringing back Palp and The Final Order, is just rotten to the core. Rey's power being undermined by a lineage is rotten. Those are the two biggest selling points of the movie.

Oct 27, 2017
So it makes sense then gotcha.
Anything can "make sense" if you throw it in and come up with a bunch of terrible ideas to support it. Rey going to the dark side could "make sense". Rey being Luke's daughter could "make sense". Finn converting to a sith could "make sense". If your bar is so incredibly low that something literally just needs to be in the movie to automatically make sense, then we're not going to come to an agreement on this

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017

TFA works mostly because it has an amazing introduction for the main villain and the main three heroes. Then you get Han and Leia reunion and then ... all falls apart because you get another death star plot. Still Han Vs. Kylo and Kylo vs. Finn & Rey saves the end. So you're right in the sense that the main plot of TFA is weak, but the movie focused more on other things than the plot.
If you take away the plot of TROS there's nothing. That's the difference.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Considering that a big part of the reveal is predicated on us accepting the following can you elaborate on how this works from a storytelling and logic perspective?

Ochi is a "Jedi hunter"/Sith loyalist who Sheev, who must have been alive since at least 15 ABY or so, sent out to capture his granddaughter. He found Rey's parents on Jakku but they sold (!!) their daughter to Unkar Plutt to protect her, then he captured them and took off in his ship (even though Rey was standing RIGHT THERE YELLING AT THE SHIP TO COME BACK). When he couldn't get the parents to speak about Rey's whereabouts, he killed them with his ceremonial dagger, which he had specifically carved to visually demonstrate the location of Sheev's Wayfinder within the wreckage of the Death Star if you hold the dagger up at a certain angle and stand on a certain spot of land. For some reason. He also inscribed on the dagger in the Sith runes the coordinates to find the DSII pieces. He then went to Pasaana, for some reason, and Luke and Lando were chasing him presumably because he's a Jedi hunter and he knew the way to Exegol, which they wanted to find for reasons, but he died when he stepped into quicksand outside his parked ship and got eaten by a snake.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TFA works mostly because it has an amazing introduction for the main villain and the main three heroes. Then you get Han and Leia reunion and then ... all falls apart because you get another death star plot. Still Han Vs. Kylo and Kylo vs. Finn & Rey saves the end. So you're right in the sense that the main plot of TFA is weak, but the movie focused more on other things than the plot.
If you take away the plot of TROS there's nothing. That's the difference.

TROS was definitely more concerned on the plot mechanics than focusing on the characters.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Oh man, the Knights of Ren. I knew they would be total jobbers, but they literally did nothing in the film.
I wonder if they had a larger role at some point. John Williams wrote a motif specifically for the Knights. He did the same for the Wayfinder, in fact, and we know Kylo's search for Palpatine was heavily cut.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TFA has writing that makes sense for its characters. It's got major issues with some of the plotting, like Starkiller base, but the framework is good enough. The core plot, bringing back Palp and The Final Order, is just rotten to the core. Rey's power being undermined by a lineage is rotten. Those are the two biggest selling points of the movie.

Bringing back Palps is an easy way to tie the films together and give Kylo his redemption arc. What's bad is introducing him in the opening crawl.

And Rey's lineage wasn't a selling point of the movie, though I understand if you weren't a fan of the revelation, it's a small cog in a much larger story.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If Rey has been Palpatine's granddaughter and if Snoke was a puppet of Palpatine....

Why did Snoke want Kylo to kill Rey in The Last Jedi?

Snoke is either directly controlled by Palpatine at all times, and has no thoughts of his own, has general desires that have been put in place into his mind, so his plan is actually the one we see in TLJ, or Palpatine is his 'master' and he's just following orders.

If everything Snoke does is just an extension of Palpatine's plan, then assume Palpatine could turn Kylo killing Rey into a win. If Kylo killed Rey back then, Palpatine probably still tricks Kylo into killing Snoke, lures him to Exegol, and uses him for the ritual, with no pesky Jedi around to try to stop him. The one theme that was consistent in the prequel trilogy is that Palpatine is always setting things up so that no matter who wins a conflict, he usually wins in the end regardless.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Snoke is either directly controlled by Palpatine at all times, and has no thoughts of his own, has general desires that have been put in place into his mind, so his plan is actually the one we see in TLJ, or Palpatine is his 'master' and he's just following orders.

If everything Snoke does is just an extension of Palpatine's plan, then assume Palpatine could turn Kylo killing Rey into a win. If Kylo killed Rey back then, Palpatine probably still tricks Kylo into killing Snoke, lures him to Exegol, and uses him for the ritual, with no pesky Jedi around to try to stop him.

Snoke definitely has a mind of his own.

When Kylo meets Palps, the latter says "Snoke trained you well". If Palps was directly controlling Snoke, that line wouldn't make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.