• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah which is why i think it's Palpatine thing

If it's a rule of two thing it becomes really iffy and weird

Like i doubt Maul wanted to possess his brother for example
Like, they could try to excuse it as, only the most powerful and oldest sith know about it or that Palpatine never told anyone of his many apprentices. Thos movie created so many bad questions and lore.
I disliked this scene the first time 'cus I thought Maz just pulled it outta nowhere.

Obviously it works in a meta sense but in the movie Maz is giving Chewie a token to remember Han and Leia by. It was a touching scene.
Chewie freaking out about Leia did manage to get me like dude, he lost EVERYBODY.

GrandHarrier

Oct 25, 2017
You have to hit them in normal space (BEFORE you vanish into hyperspace, obviously not after).

But... You can hit stuff while in hyperspace. That's why you had to plot your course and not blindly jump. Gravity wells are obstacles in hyperspace and everything creates a gravity well. The entire point of Interdicters is to create a gravity well large enough to pull a ship out of hyperspace but the Interdictor itself isnt that big so it doesn't get hit by the Interdicted ship.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
At that point she was filled with hatred, Palpatine said as much. The requirement for being taken over is being filled with the dark side, not having an official Certificate of Sithhood stamped and delivered by the Sith University or whatever.
She agreed to it to save all her friends and literally stop the invading fleet

Why would Vader have stopped Luke from killing Palpatine in a fit of rage if that's all it took

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying it's awful writing

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
The little mechanic was the best thing about the movie. Hey hey.
Baby Yoda and Babu Frik, good month for puppets.

I'm bummed JJ choose not to use the Porgs more, though. It would've been a really sweet thing to see that Rey gave them a home in either the falcon or the Resistance base.

Old Luke

Jul 20, 2018
Am I the only one bothered with JJ sticking with the Resistance and not Rebels?

TLJ heavily used Rebels instead of Resistance ("godspeed Rebels", Luke's final words to Kylo Ren, etc), and kinda of made the case that the "death" of the Resistance would be the beginning of a new born Rebellion.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I don't think the sith transferring soul thing is meant to be a normal thing they do, if anything it's something special. Palpatine even calls it a ritual during the whole gathering and when he's basically asking for it.

Am I the only one bothered with JJ sticking with the Resistance and not Rebels?

TLJ heavily used Rebels instead of Resistance ("godspeed Rebels", Luke's final words to Kylo Ren, etc), and kinda of made the case that the "death" of the Resistance would be the beginning of a new born Rebellion.

Yes? I mean they were established as the Resistance in TFA, it's the same group in TLJ, why would they suddenly change their name? And really, they are one and the same

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
"You come from nothing, you are nothing, but not to me." Oh man Kylo came across as an abusive predator in TLJ, I don't like that kiss in ROS at all. I really would have preferred if it just ended with Rey pitying and losing any sexual tension with him after the door closes in TLJ and the dice disappear.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
"You come from nothing, you are nothing, but not to me." Oh man Kylo came across as an abusive predator in TLJ, I don't like that kiss in ROS at all.
I don't think there's anything weird about a 30-year-old nazi dictator serial killer grooming a teenage girl to join him by torturing and repeatedly breaking down her sense of self, rebuilding it to be about her partnership with him, and then making out with her at the end

It's a good lesson for the kids

Oct 26, 2017
She's clearly Poe's ex girlfriend.

If she genuinely wanted to kill Poe she would've killed him, based on her personality as shown in the film do you really think she's the type to threaten instead of just doing what she wants to do? Like, YOU'RE the one taking things at face value here.

Based on how the relationship soured, I didn't expect an unrealistically quick turn around just because the plot demanded it.

Also how am I the one taking things at face value? I'm not the one trying to use history as an argument when it's clearly because the film did not want to develop anything.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there's anything weird about a 30-year-old nazi dictator serial killer grooming a teenage girl to join him by torturing and repeatedly breaking down her sense of self, rebuilding it to be about her partnership with him, and then making out with her at the end

Yeah I went in with the film with low expectations after Palpatine was annouced, but on man is that dodgy writing.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Charlie from Lost just popped up there and everyone knew him. I questioned myself and thought that he was part of previous movies .... but no 🤣
I think it's fine for new people to leave and join the rebellion between movies. That makes total sense.

It is however a bit awkward when a major third act thrust of your movie is that Luke's sacrifice to spark a rebellion did nothing and explicitly no one is joining the rebellion to come help because they've all lost hope.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Hate and in-fighting is a pretty Sith-y thing. That hasn't changed.

The bottom line is they're all slaves of the Dark Side.
But that's why you made the rule of 2 because of the infighting not "lol actually it's easier to posses" because that actually changes because then why any apprentice trained in the dark side ever agree to it if it requires a ritual especially when they encourage to overthrow your master. What would be the point if you're just possessing the new body

No way any of the previous sith apprentice we knew would ever agree to this

It makes more sense as Palpatine then being a sith thing

Why even train an apprentice just kidnap someone or even trick them

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017

Even in this movie he stalks her with that force chat thing until he turns good for 5 minutes and then everything is ok.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Based on how the relationship soured, I didn't expect an unrealistically quick turn around just because the plot demanded it.
It wasn't unrealistically quick. At least not for SW standards.

Also how am I the one taking things at face value? I'm not the one trying to use history as an argument when it's clearly because the film did not want to develop anything.
You genuinely think she wanted to shoot Poe in the head.

Oct 26, 2017

The force chat thing could've been cool if Rey and Kylo Ren were given an actual character arc that made sense. Instead, itsbullshit writing of the highest order.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I had no idea he was meant to be ten years older than Rey until The Last Jedi. That kinda changes everything about the dynamic of their relationship.

Cantona222

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait

You have a point.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017

Gaslighting is hot actually

Oct 26, 2017
It wasn't unrealistically quick. At least not for SW standards.

So SW standards means it's A-OK? The same series that:

- Had Rose fall inlove with Finn out of nowhere in TLJ, followed by a ridiculously awkward kiss. Now Finn and Rose act like they barely know each other in ROS.

- Had a really dodgy adult-teen relationship with Anakin and Padme. The age-gap, cringe-inducing dialogue, etc. were all indications of it being poorly thought out.

The only good relationship development I've seen is Han Solo and Leia, and even then, that was born out of them retconning Luke and Leia as sisters.

So no, "SW standards" is not a good enough argument.

You genuinely think she wanted to shoot Poe in the head.

Did you bother to read what I said? I was talking about the scenario as a whole. It's unrealistic how quickly it went from "I am motivated to kill you" to "I still love you, let's kill FO scrubs." There was no development or any indication of what the relationship meant beyond a simple dialogue (which isn't enough, especially if the idea is that these people knew each other for years. Not to mention, a scorned lover doesn't get over shit quickly).

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure who is worse at making Star Wars movies, JJ or the fans.

Almost every scene in this movie felt like middle school fanfic or a preshow for a ride at Disney.

What a miserable movie. I can't wait for all the "hm, maybe TLJ was actually good" threads over the next couple years.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Kylo discovering a way to contact Rey and becoming more unhinged throughout the film would've been so good. But instead....we got "no THIS time you'll turn damn it."

This movie feels like it tries to be ep.8 for 45 and then ep.9.

So SW standards means it's A-OK? The same series that:

- Had Rose fall inlove with Finn out of nowhere in TLJ, followed by a ridiculously awkward kiss. Now Finn and Rose act like they barely know each other in ROS.
That's poor writing on the part of TROS. Rose falling for FInn really isn't out of nowhere in TLJ.

- Had a really dodgy adult-teen relationship with Anakin and Padme. The age-gap, cringe-inducing dialogue, etc. were all indications of it being poorly thought out.
I'd never defend this as a good thing.

Did you bother to read what I said? I was talking about the scenario as a whole. It's unrealistic how quickly it went from "I am motivated to kill you" to "I still love you, let's kill FO scrubs."
The issue is that the bolded was never a thing, she was never actually motivated to kill him. If she was, it would've happened no questions asked.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe this movie actually came out. I cringed hard when Maz gave Chewie the medal from A New Hope then looked at the camera and gave a big "hey guys I've finally fixed this injustice" wink to the audience.

What's even weirder about this is that in current canon Chewie actually did get a medal shortly after the Battle of Yavin, just not at the same ceremony as Han and Luke got theirs. He gave his medal away shortly afterward because Wookiees don't care much about medals.

Wait when in last Jedi did they say he was 10 years older?

Their ages aren't revealed in the movies but in ancillary materials. Rey was born in 15 BBY and Ben Solo was born in 5 BBY. This is close to the age gap between the actors themselves. Adam is 9 years older than Daisy

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
This movie feels like watching my 8-year-old cousin act out a play with his action figures. It has that same frenetic incoherence that only a child can conjure up with a straight face.

That's the best take I've seem and I completely agree.

I had to stop myself from loudly going 'for fuck sake' in the theatre when that happened. So cringe

I had to do for several parts. This movie is a fucking mess.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What's even weirder about this is that in current canon Chewie actually did get a medal shortly after the Battle of Yavin, just not at the same ceremony as Han and Luke got theirs. He gave his medal away shortly afterward because Wookiees don't care much about medals.

it was han's medal.

there fixed

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure who is worse at making Star Wars movies, JJ or the fans.

Almost every scene in this movie felt like middle school fanfic or a preshow for a ride at Disney.

What a miserable movie. I can't wait for all the "hm, maybe TLJ was actually good" threads over the next couple years.

It's pretty hilarious. We've seen case studies of what happens if you let fans dictate your work, and yet the same mistakes are allowed to happen. It's like creative teams never learn.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's never going to happen. The entire end battle, I was thinking why bother doing ground landing and not just hyper ram the lead ship. Fuck you Rian...
Oh, I know some fans will kick and scream until the end of the time, but it's easy to ignore now that TROS exists and proves that fans are terrible at making movies. TROS is full of bullshit that doesn't make sense and terrible execution.

Status
Not open for further replies.