• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Keri Russell surprised me in this, even though she has a small part ... she's charming even just through her voice. I mean shit she had more charm than everyone in the prequels while wearing a mask.

Oct 27, 2017
What a trainwreck. I have nothing good to say about it (well, Adam Driver still is an exceptional actor). I'd rather rewatch Solo or the Holiday Special than The Rise of Skywalker.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Keri Russell surprised me in this, even though she has a small part ... she's charming even just through her voice. I mean shit she had more charm than everyone in the prequels while wearing a mask.
I agree, she was really good... but she just didn't get enough time to let her character shine, very unfortunate. If this movie wasn't rushed to hell and back she could've had more development and an actual arc. Eh, Disney+ show maybe?

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree, she was really good... but she just didn't get enough time to let her character shine, very unfortunate.

I think there could have been a scene there were it shows Lando rallying support for the Resistance with him talking to Keri's character, but we don't get an answer from her as to whether she'll join up ... until of course she shows up at the end battle.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is also the most 3PO seems to have had to do in a Star Wars movie since ROTJ. I was surprised how much dialogue Anthony Daniels got.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017

She was cool, a real shame that she wasn't introduced until now. Just another example of how much of a mess this movie is, wasting time on totally unnecessary stuff. Poe is just a secondary character in the movie, there wasn't time to give him a love interest and backstory. It would be like giving Lando the same treatment in ROTJ, this movie needed to focus on Kylo and Rey, not all this other shit.

SlumberingGiant

alt account
Banned
Jul 2, 2019
What a trainwreck. I have nothing good to say about it (well, Adam Driver still is an exceptional actor). I'd rather rewatch Solo or the Holiday Special than The Rise of Skywalker.
Agreed, holiday special has better pacing
This is also the most 3PO seems to have had to do in a Star Wars movie since ROTJ. I was surprised how much dialogue Anthony Daniels got.
shame R2 was done dirty, he's supposed to be the secret hero!

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She was cool, a real shame that she wasn't introduced until now. Just another example of how much of a mess this movie is, wasting time on totally unnecessary stuff. Poe is just a secondary character in the movie, there wasn't time to give him a love interest and backstory. It would be like giving Lando the same treatment in ROTJ, this movie needed to focus on Kylo and Rey, not all this other shit.

Ideally she would have been introduced in VIII, but what can you do. I was just surprised at her dialogue ... damn she just lept off the screen as soon as she shows up. Very nice back and forth with Oscar Issac behind a mask no less. That was well done.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Ideally she would have been introduced in VIII, but what can you do. I was just surprised at her dialogue ... damn she just lept off the screen as soon as she shows up. Very nice back and forth with Oscar Issac behind a mask no less. That was well done.

Yeah she really stood out. Great costume, excellent line delivery, she didn't deserve to be wasted in this turd.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn too at Billie Dee Williams I was kinda worried that he wouldn't have his usual charm/sizzle ... but damnit if he didn't still the sparkle in his eye. Mark Hamil unfortunately looked like he was phoning it in though. Could they not afford a decent wig too? lol.

Oct 27, 2017
I dont understand whats so funny about this its OBVIOUS*

*if you willfully misinterpret the movie and characters seven different ways

EDIT- WAIT I JUST FOLLOWED THE QUOTE CHAIN AND JJ CONFIRMED IT????? AY DIOS MIO
Lmao ayyyyy.

Is JJ Abrams trying to be JK Rowling?

This movie should have been so much simpler. Have the First Order occupying the major star systems in the galaxy, in control of the shipyards, natural resources, trading outposts. Have a lonely Kylo obsessed with finding Rey while the military brass of the First Order try and convince him to focus on building their military strength. Hux eventually convinces the other generals to dispose of Ren due to his shoddy leadership. The ghost of Luke Skywalker frequently haunts Kylo as he tries in vain to reach out to Rey through their Force bond.

Meanwhile the return of Luke Skywalker has energised the Resistance and led to many less important worlds pledging their support, as Rey, Finn and Poe search the galaxy for potential Jedi. The Knights of Ren have been given the same mission, only they are to exterminate them and destroy any hope of the Jedi returning.

That kind of framework could still have allowed for Ben's turn and a nice adventure for the main trio as they rally support around the galaxy while recruiting Force sensitives. We didn't need this Palpatine shit, it is total nonsense and has nothing to do with the previous films. The ST didn't need to "top" the OT, it should have been a nice coda to it. The scale just got completely out of control with TROS and it ruins everything.
Problem with this version is there's zero tension. Your main villain is a dude, who has literally failed at every attempt to stop the primary protagonist. He only has his forgotten backup soldiers to call to help this time, as he tries to stop the heroes a third time.

This movie had no interesting story to tell. The only reason it was made was because we were promised a trilogy, and Disney wants money.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
So what's up with the Rottentomatoes audience score? Seems frozen at 86 from the beginning even though there were almost 20000 new votes. Isn't it unlikely that it would stay at the exact same percentage the entire time through?

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In a bizarre way I think Abrams made a pulp serial adventure film more than Lucas ever did.

The prequels devolved into bizarre detours into boring politics and mind numbingly bad romance and main characters with no sizzle or personality and the third film has to be an operatic greek tragedy by default.

This film feels the most "pulpy" of all the Star Wars right from the opening line of the scroll. It's like a pulp comic book had sex with a Harry Potter plot.

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017
...How was that a retcon AT ALL?

People tossing the word Retcon willy nilly have no idea what that means.
It's not lol

Apparently continuing with any character or plot from TLJ is a retcon smear on RJ. I truly don't understand. JJ picked up the threads and made his movie just like RJ did the same in TLJ.
TLJ: Luke rejected the Jedi for the last 20 years!
ROS: But wait, he hasn't! It's all to be idolized!

TLJ: Rey comes from nobodys!
ROS: But wait! She's a Palpatine! But wait! She's a Skywalker deep inside!

TLJ: Jedi don't matter, anyone can be important!
ROS: But wait! Cling to the past and all the Jedi! Nothing changed!

TLJ: Kylo is a good guy! No, a bad guy!
ROS: But wait! Now he'a a good guy!

TFA: Chewie doesn't mourn for Han Solo
ROS: Leia dies! Oh no poor Chewie!!!

EPIV: Chewie doesn't get a medal!
ROS: Chewie gets a medal!

it just goes on and on and on and on.
It's fucking apparent.

Also, if Rey is a "Palpatine," what's Palpatine's fist name?
Jerry Palpatine?
Simon Palpatine?

Last edited:

DodgeAnon

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone can argue back and forth regarding the story/plot/pacing etc... but for me the biggest disappointment was the lack of actual memorable "epic" Star Wars moments.

Even in TLJ you had the so many stand out moments that will be remembered for years to come. In this however, I honestly cannot remember a single scene or set piece that stood out to leave a lasting impression.

Deltadan

Oct 25, 2017

Honestly it would have been cool to have a shot of Rey training Finn at the end, instead of her just waltzing into the Skywalker homestead going, "this is mine now".

Instead you have this half realized plot that should have been cut from the movie (or should have been made into its own movie)

DodgeAnon

Oct 25, 2017
I feel the tone and messages of TLJ and RoTS should have been swapped around.

It would have been better to end the saga with letting go of the past and moving on from the normal structure so Star Wars can progress and branch into different directions in the future.

Instead we got told to move on in Episode 8, but then oh no wait don't actually move on in Episode 9 and now we are back to square one.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Movie should have ended on Ahch-To, not Tatooine. With Rey starting to rebuild the Jedi order and some young Force sensitive kids playing with Porgs/BB8 as she buries the lightsabers in front of the burnt but recovering tree.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Everyone can argue back and forth regarding the story/plot/pacing etc... but for me the biggest disappointment was the lack of actual memorable "epic" Star Wars moments.

Even in TLJ you had the so many stand out moments that will be remembered for years to come. In this however, I honestly cannot remember a single scene or set piece that stood out to leave a lasting impression.

You didn't like Finn on a rain-drenched platform impotently yelling "REEEY" for the upteenth time?

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He didn't get a lot of screen time comparably, but I would still venture to say Billy Dee Williams was the most believable OT actor returning for this trilogy.

Which is surprising because he seems the "oldest" when the older actors do interviews, but he was just straight up Lando, no beats missed whatsoever. Seemed to have a lot of energy and charm.

Mark Hamil on the other hand looked like he just crawled out of bed to film his scenes. I feel bad for Mark though, I think obviously this trilogy was not (from both JJ and RJ) the trilogy he thought he was getting and I think that kinda broke his heart.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
https://ew.com/movies/2019/12/21/the-rise-of-skywalker-companion-book-lando-final-scene-twist/

Everyone is related to someone from the OT

DywrZiB.gif

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
He didn't get a lot of screen time comparably, but I would still venture to say Billy Dee Williams was the most believable OT actor returning for this trilogy.

It was quite startling to compare Billy Dee to Mark Hamill in this movie. It's like Hamill thought they were still in rehearsal or something. Hard to believe the same hair and makeup crew produced both of their wigs as well.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
The space battle at the beginning of TLJ had more tension and it's 10 times more spectacular than 1000 star destroyers vs. endgame portals fakes.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

Is the implication there that he saw a black woman and immediately assumed it was his daughter

like... how could he have pieced it together? Did someone tell him she was a former stormtrooper in the very short period of time after the battle?

It's so utterly baffling to have a spin-off tease like that in one of the final scenes of a movie. It'd be like if they brought up Leia's relationship to Vader during Yub Nub.

Venuslulu

Oct 28, 2017
In a bizarre way I think Abrams made a pulp serial adventure film more than Lucas ever did.

The prequels devolved into bizarre detours into boring politics and mind numbingly bad romance and main characters with no sizzle or personality and the third film has to be an operatic greek tragedy by default.

This film feels the most "pulpy" of all the Star Wars right from the opening line of the scroll. It's like a pulp comic book had sex with a Harry Potter plot.

Abrams is Lucas and Spielberg turned up to 11, but minus any semblance of real character development that isn't a visual call back to something.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
So Rottentomatoes just added 5000 new audience votes and the score still perfectly sits at 86. Sure. Not rigged at all.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TLJ: Luke rejected the Jedi for the last 20 years!
ROS: But wait, he hasn't! It's all to be idolized!

TLJ: Rey comes from nobodys!
ROS: But wait! She's a Palpatine! But wait! She's a Skywalker deep inside!

TLJ: Jedi don't matter, anyone can be important!
ROS: But wait! Cling to the past and all the Jedi! Nothing changed!

TLJ: Kylo is a good guy! No, a bad guy!
ROS: But wait! Now he'a a good guy!

TFA: Chewie doesn't mourn for Han Solo
ROS: Leia dies! Oh no poor Chewie!!!

EPIV: Chewie doesn't get a medal!
ROS: Chewie gets a medal!

it just goes on and on and on and on.
It's fucking apparent.

Also, if Rey is a "Palpatine," what's Palpatine's fist name?
Jerry Palpatine?
Simon Palpatine?

I'm not sure if you've even seen the movies or are just repeating nonsense you've heard elsewhere.

Luke didn't reject the Jedi for "twenty years", it was a few years at most and Yoda showed up to tell him he was being stupid to let the Jedi Order die with him. I don't agree with the idea that Rey had to learn from Luke's mistakes since he didn't really make any until The Last Jedi decided he did, but Luke literally says at the end of the movie that he isn't the last Jedi.

I think once The Last Jedi decided Luke was an abject failure that ran and hid instead doing what you'd expect Luke Skywalker to do, there was no question that it was setting Rey up as "the one who rebuilds the Jedi Order" instead. Heck, the movie even ensured Rey would have the ancient Jedi texts that Yoda didn't think she needed.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Having seen it too, the movie really gains nothing from Rey being a Palpatine even though I suppose there are some hardcore fans that are all giddy about the EU possibilities now and Palpatine having a canonical son no less too.

I think it would've just worked better if it turned out she was a discarded part of a cloning program the Empire had based on Anakin/Vader's blood left to be raised by junk dealers. Then her cave vision makes senses (multiple Reys), the Skywalker lightsaber calling out to her makes sense, and when she takes the name "Skywalker" it makes more sense because she has the Skywalker bloodline.

Venuslulu

Oct 28, 2017
Oddly I think he was kinda aiming to make an Indiana Jones film but inadvertently ended up making something between a Marvel film and a Harry Potter plot.

My thoughts exactly, especially with the pacing it felt like the later Potter films. It also felt like an Avengers without any real pay off, and I think because unlike marvel we're literally getting the tent pole movie every time with no breather movie.

I honestly think this would've been a better film to people if the Saga movies had 3-4 year breaks, but instead we got J.J. screaming in our face.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I don't follow. Yoda says the books aren't exactly page turners and Rey already has everything she needs. He literally sets fire to the tree the books are in, destroying them.

Except they weren't destroyed at all because they ended up on the Millennium Falcon.

When Yoda says that the girl has already all that she needs it's a hint that he knows she took the books.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017

I keep thinking about shit that makes this movie so surreal.

Did you think the Thor scene in Endgame was cringy? TRoS starts with palpatine talking shit in fortnite and it's an actual canonical event in the story.

What the fuck is this movie

Status
Not open for further replies.