• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 6122

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The part with Lukes ship rising from the water, and that same music... was peak fanservice in anything anytime.
The moment were Yoda does this in Empire is my favorite moment in all of Star Wars. I was furious when it happened in this movie because it basically tried to mine it. The opposite of fanservice.

It felt like a total cheap nostalgia grab and completely unearned, plus Luke is a ghost shouldn't the lesson have been for Rey to attempt to do it herself just like he tried to in Empire and maybe through the act of doing so she finds the resolve she needs to go back? But no empty fanservice instead because see Luke can life the X-Wing now get it lol​

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Some more thoughts I have about the movie:

It makes me think of two parents that have a kid, and while the kid may not look like both parents, it still somehow favors both. My niece and nephew for example are fraternal twins. Neither of them look like their parents wholly, but you can totally see my sister and her ex-husband in both of them. Like, you know it's their kid, and you know they're siblings as well.

the Rise of Skywalker is most assuredly the child of The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi. It doesn't take every feature from either, but contains aspects of both. I think the film builds off of elements of both previous movies, sometimes well, sometimes not so well.

It's not even close to be a clusterfuck, or a dumpster fire, but it's certainly not a masterpiece (spoiler: not a single Star Wars movie is a masterpiece).

I'm really looking forward to seeing deleted scenes, as well as the difficulties they had in trying to reconcile Leia's story with Carrie Fisher's passing in a way that was tasteful and respectful. I thought they did a fantastic job considering what they had to work with.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
I'm failing to see what I'm not addressing. But if your default response to the effort im putting into my posts is some stupid gif then I'm not going to waste my time.
We've both put effort into our posts
We've both spent time discussing them with each other
We both ultimately want the same thing
We were not able to come to the same conclusion and that's fine.
That's all there is to it and I don't really have any negative feelings towards you. We just don't agree on something.

Worst moment in the film is easily the Holdo maneuver lines IMO.
yeah that was awful.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
He was goading Luke to give into his darker impulses and start his journey towards the dark side. As the Force lightning later shows, he was never in any real harm even if Vader hadn't struck back at Luke.

True. I had just always wondered (especially after Episode III) what Palps' endgame was, so this was a good fill-in for that.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the whole "I am all the sith" thing falls empty considering the movie goes out of its way to acknowledge Clone Wars and Rebels. Distilling all the bad in the universe to Palpatine giving what we know happens in the canon, non movie material is so...ugh

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Certainly him catching the lightsaber and walking out in Jedi robes speaks for itself.

I agree (more now after reading that) that it's a clunky line to include and I think you're right that the emphasis of the line does miss the nuance of TLJ's message, but I don't think it was intended as a "slap in the face" of Rian Johnson.
Right, but the thing I'm trying to illustrate that intentions here don't matter. The scene and how it plays out walks back on the lessons of TLJ in a very disrespectful manner because it doesn't understand the actual core lesson that the movie was trying to instill. All JJ picked up on is "Luke didn't like the Jedi and now he does again" and created the scene based off that really poor reading of the movie.

I have nothing personal against JJ, but whatever his intentions were, TRoS apologizes and walks back on every important step TLJ took.

Oct 26, 2017
Star Wars is not a science fantasy movie for kids. It's a science fantasy movie for EVERYONE. Retreading the same ground and stories is fucking boring.

And that's what made Ren interesting in TLJ. I thought The Force Awakens established him as a boring Vader wannabee going down the same path as Anakin with him being destined to be redeemed. TLJ swerves away from that, he's committed to following his own path and destiny and not what others want him to be. Everyone was ready to forgive Ren for his mistakes, he just didn't want to be forgiven. That's a better character, but TROS just goes back to square one again.
To each their own, but I'll admit that I'm a sucker for a good redemption story. TROS was not a good one, and I was hoping it would manifest in Kylo finding his own path and rejecting the one his birth put him down. Maybe he never wanted this life for himself, maybe Leia and Han shipping him to Jedi camp instead of being his parents never gave him a sense of belonging, maybe he was just searching for his place and purpose. I would have liked to see him reject the force and the path that everyone insisted he follow for his gift, but that's just my personal preference.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Saw it on the midnight release on Wednesday; it was fun and I had a blast watching it due to its fast paced nature. I enjoyed some scenes but I hated certain moments and reveals. Overall this trilogy was not well planned out at all and its flaws show as this crams a trilogy's worth of story into one film. Something as simple as having the characters fight over or race to get the Wayfinder in The Last Jedi (ending the film with Kylo getting it) would have helped link these together more.

Feb 4, 2018
Some more thoughts I have about the movie:

It makes me think of two parents that have a kid, and while the kid may not look like both parents, it still somehow favors both. My niece and nephew for example are fraternal twins. Neither of them look like their parents wholly, but you can totally see my sister and her ex-husband in both of them. Like, you know it's their kid, and you know they're siblings as well.

the Rise of Skywalker is most assuredly the child of The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi. It doesn't take every feature from either, but contains aspects of both. I think the film builds off of elements of both previous movies, sometimes well, sometimes not so well.

It's not even close to be a clusterfuck, or a dumpster fire, but it's certainly not a masterpiece (spoiler: not a single Star Wars movie is a masterpiece).

I'm really looking forward to seeing deleted scenes, as well as the difficulties they had in trying to reconcile Leia's story with Carrie Fisher's passing in a way that was tasteful and respectful. I thought they did a fantastic job considering what they had to work with.

If you don't mind, I'll be stealing the framing of "TROS is the child of TFA and TLJ" because that's a great way of looking at it.

People who think JJ totally hated TLJ have to ignore that ForceTime is the main plot device used to move the plot along lmao

PrintedCrayon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seadome

Were they different colors among different releases of each film? The only blue shots I honestly remember were from the Stormtrooper guns set to stun, and the bombers.

I don't ever recall Star Destroyer cannons being explicitly referenced as Ion Cannons is all. Thought they had another name.

Edit: Turbolasers is what I thought Star Destroyers were equipped with

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The moment were Yoda does this in Empire is my favorite moment in all of Star Wars. I was furious when it happened in this movie because it basically tried to mine it. The opposite of fanservice.

It felt like a total cheap nostalgia grab and completely unearned, plus Luke is a ghost shouldn't the lesson have been for Rey to attempt to do it herself just like he tried to in Empire and maybe through the act of doing so she finds the resolve she needs to go back? But no empty fanservice instead because see Luke can life the X-Wing now get it lol

It was a meaningful moment in the OT, because Luke is totally powerless to get the ship and his believe in the force and his own powers is falting. Yoda uses his last bit of strength to pull out the X-Wing and It provides hope for Luke and showing him that, yeah, he can do that as long as he believes in the force. Is a meaningful moment for Luke's arc in the OT and serves for a fitting end for Yoda.

In TROS is basically ghost Luke saying "Here's the ship and now go fight bad dude lol". Outside of the callback it lacks any real emotional impact, which describes the film quite well.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It felt like a total cheap nostalgia grab and completely unearned, plus Luke is a ghost shouldn't the lesson have been for Rey to attempt to do it herself just like he tried to in Empire and maybe through the act of doing so she finds the resolve she needs to go back? But no empty fanservice instead because see Luke can life the X-Wing now get it lol

Its frustrating because we now know Luke can project himself across the galaxy. Who cares if he can lift an X Wing or not

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't agree with that. Having not-the-emperor as the big bad again came across as pretty lazy and nothing in TFA made it particularly unique or interesting. Supreme Leader Ren sinking deeper into the dark side and taking centre stage ad the villain was much more interesting IMO, and there's no reason it couldn't have worked.

Honestly if Snoke was going to be the big bad all along the ST would have been 10X worse. I do wish we'd gotten to see power drunk Kylo Ren shirtless in Snokes gold robe though...

I think we're getting a Sith centric D+ spinoff some day. I honestly would mind animated either but with Clone Wars budget.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
The whole sequence at Ochi's ship is so stupid. Rey walks so far away so she is somehow out of screaming hearing distance and Chewbacca has to run after her just to tell her to come back lol. Then he gets captured without Rey noticing. No one in the ship notices this happening either and it takes Finn to go after Chewie to notice this. Then no one seemingly notices Finn. Then Rey destroys the decoy ship, but no one, including Finn, notices the real ship with Chewie taking off. Then Rey casually walks back to her ship and they have already taken off next in a quick edit with Kylo and no one else going after them despite being right there.

It was such a series of weird edits to make this sequence "work". Even if it was Kylo's plan to see how dark side fluent she was, he still wanted to capture her after all to turn her

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I suppose if you like paper-thin characters with zero depth, bland action sequences that go nowhere, and a story that literally has no reason to exist beyond giving context to an expository line from a 30-year-old movie, then yes, it's the best one.

But honestly, I'd rather watch Revenge of the Sith six times in a row before I ever watch Rogue One again. And I don't care for the prequels much at all.
no offense but you literally just described pretty much all of star wars.

Like I get that there's a lot of nastolgia involved. But none of the original trilogy is peak cinema. But especially today none of them even hold up that well, like at all.
People like to act like they are these pantheon of deep philosophical meaning or 10/10 godfather of popcorn movies or something.

none of this has anything really anything to do with what I said. Introducing your big bad of your trilogy in the third act is bad writing, not a reasonable suspension of disbelief over magic space samurais
Yea except you didn't say that it doesn't make sense to reveal him in the third movie. you said it didn't make sense.

Oh and I remembered some more shit that makes zero sense. Leia surviving unprotected in space and then using the force to bring her back on a ship.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"The Last Jedi" title doesn't even make sense anymore since Leia was a Jedi according to TROS. Literally a Jedi, complete with her own lightsaber.

Feb 4, 2018
I sound like a broken record about this but Ben's slow turn to camera after Leia calls out his name has gotten me every time.

Best moment of the movie and up there with the best of the saga. Driver's face is doing so much heavy lifting and he totally nails it.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I don't ever recall Star Destroyer cannons being explicitly referenced as Ion Cannons is all. Thought they had another name.

Edit: Turbolasers is what I thought Star Destroyers were equipped with

That clip is showing an "Ion Cannon" from Hoth firing into space. Also, I honestly don't remember them ever saying "turbolaser" until The Force Awakens.

edit: Looks like turbolasers are actually what were on the Death Star trench run (and they shot green bolts), and I think those were the same guns Poe was trying to blow up in The Last Jedi.

Are you maybe thinking about the coloring of the ion cannons from the video games? They were blue there.

Last edited:

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Hmm, worst moment of the movie... I'll have to think about it, there's so many.

In the first five minutes, when Palpy said that famous meme about unnatural pathways, I sunk into my seat and knew the movie was going to be rough.

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, this is easily worse than any of the prequels.

Say what you about the prequels, but at least they tried and there was a vision for every one of those movies. TROS feels like it's pulling absolute bullshit out of its ass every 10 mins.

There's a problem with your Star Wars film when C-3PO is the most enjoyable and best part of your film.
It's different kinds of bad, so it depends on what you can stomach. The prequels have absolutely zero chemistry and a lot of awful performances. But in the broad strokes--like, if you just generally laid out the big story beats for the prequels--they work pretty well. Anakin being convinced to turn to the Dark Side because he's terrified of losing someone he loves is, honestly, a perfect story reason for his corruption. It's just executed like shit.

TROS still has all the chemistry and solid performances among the main cast. There are a lot of good, funny lines and everyone still vibes with each other. But the plot is total arbitrary gibberish. So, in the moment, there's nothing as unwatchable in TROS as there is in the worst parts of the prequels. But (as I said much earlier in the thread) it is absolutely the dumbest Star Wars movie.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got back.

"You can't disrespect a Jedi's weapon like that"

Oh man that felt glorious, loved that zinger sent directly to Rian.

Overall TLJ was superior, even with its flaws (treatment of Luke). Got a bit dragon ball Z at the end, didnt feel the same sensation of a finale i felt between Obi/Maul, Anakin/Obi, Luke/Vader, Rey+Ren/Snoke....it wasn't anywhere near those in tension and quality.

hendersonhank

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Uh...no the lesson shouldn't have been for Rey to lift it, it would have been child's play for her. Earlier we saw her pulling back a transport 10x the size of an X-wing that was thrusting at full power AND had Kylo Ren working against her. It would have taken minimal or no effort to simply lift an empty X-Wing against 30ft of water pressure and gravity.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
So how did Maz get Luke's lightsaber in the first movie?
A good question. For. Another. TIME.

Honestly, this is one mystery box that I would be willing to let Abrams have. Like, what do you assume happened to it? The lightsaber fell, was found by someone, and it ended up somewhere. So why shouldn't it have gotten into Maz's hands? Like, all we really know is that Luke's lightsaber was lost. Well, it's found. I can buy that.

And since the force is guiding Rey to it, okay, a little contrived, but it fits since she's a Jedi. But most importantly, this is okay because it leads to something. It's the first step of Rey realizing her self identity and works a symbolic passing of the torch. So since it leads to something, I'm okay with it.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always though that Leia awakened her "Jedi" powers instinctively in the space scene. If I remember right, that was the implication Rian stated when explaining the sequence.

Oh lol here it is:

That was something Kathy [Kennedy] was always asking: Why has this never manifested in Leia? She obviously made a choice, because in
Return of the Jedi
Luke tells her, 'You have that power too.' I liked the idea that it's not Luke concentrating, reaching for the lightsaber; it's an instinctual survival thing, like when you hear stories of a parent whose toddler is caught under a car and they get superhuman strength, or a drowning person clawing their way to the surface. It's basically just her not being done with the fight yet. I wanted it to happen [for Carrie] and I knew it was going to be a stretch. It's a big moment, and I'm sure it will land different ways for different people, but for me it felt like a really emotionally satisfying thing to see.

JJ: Nope, she was a Jedi all along, fuck you RJ!!! MUAHAHAHA
*Madly writes the training scene on the script*

Deleted member 6122

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uh...no the lesson shouldn't have been for Rey to lift it, it would have been child's play for her. Earlier we saw her pulling back a transport 10x the size of an X-wing that was thrusting at full power AND had Kylo Ren working against her. It would have taken minimal or no effort to simply lift an empty X-Wing against 30ft of water pressure and gravity.
Rey was shaken up so bad she tried to exile herself. Her actually making the choice to put that work in and go back, maybe struggling with it even though yes her "power level" is insane in this, would show that she is conflicted on what to do. It's not about power levels so much as pathology. Maybe Luke gives her some more words of wisdom to really sell it. Of course all of this would require the movie to slow the fuck down for a minute and actually try to do anything meaningful so

Status
Not open for further replies.