• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
That scene where Force Luke catches the saber and tells Rey that a jedi should take proper care of their tools was such a slap in the fast of Rian that I actually did a double take. It was just so blatant I couldn't believe it. Like how unprofessional. What a fucking clown.
I think TLJ is easily the best Disney SW movie and I liked it. It just shows he got out of his funk.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Just came back from my viewing. Palpatine was really shoehorned in. No mentioning or build-up in the two previous movies, and now he's suddenly the big baddie again?

I mean, I take every second of Ian McDiarmid I can get because he's awesome, but his appearance here feels unearned somehow.

Ooopsklo

Banned
Aug 20, 2019
Yeah, the galaxy is a destabilized hellhole of mass death after these films. You know hat that means EU fans. Get your Death Sticks ready! It´s Legacy time:
latest

The future of Star Wars begins NOW. Boi, does it ever.
Yessssss

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
That scene where Force Luke catches the saber and tells Rey that a jedi should take proper care of their tools was such a slap in the fast of Rian that I actually did a double take. It was just so blatant I couldn't believe it. Like how unprofessional. What a fucking clown.
Yeah that was my least favorite scene. The whole movie had a huge gross love of lightsabers but there was a potentially great scene of Luke coming out of the fire to give her the saber back while telling her things aren't as bad as they seem and that she is strong enough to save the galaxy. Someone actually clapped when Luke told Rey not to disrespect the saber so I guess the obvious fan pandering works on some? Also if only Luke had two sabers in rotj he could've blocked that lightening and murdered thousands like Rey did.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's kind of annoying that people have been championing the " well I liked it! I wish people weren't haters/everyone hates everything on the Internet/Cinema sins level analysis" ...

Completely ignoring both the many, many passionate Star Wars fans who didn't like this and the professional critics whose job it is to analyze proper filmmaking. As if the "negativity" is all steeped in some sort of agenda driven vendetta

I don't know why people who liked ROS are hitting out with such aforementioned caveats, none of the "haters" can take away their enjoyment of the film.
Yeah its really annoying. They obviously don't feel secure enough in their enjoyment of the movie to just say I enjoyed it for what it was and that they disagree with the criticism, they have to try argue that anyone who is critical of the movie shouldnt be watching it in a way so as to engage and analyze it (why? not really clear). I'm pretty sure everyone here who didn't like the movie is happy to let those people enjoy the movie without telling them theyre watching movies wrong haha

Deleted member 6122

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Edit: nvm I just really didn't like this. JJ is cynical and this movie is all fanservice with no themes or character development, in fact a significant amount of character regression.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Just came back from my viewing. Palpatine was really shoehorned in. No mentioning or build-up in the two previous movies, and now he's the big baddie?

I mean, I take every second of Ian McDiarmid I can get because he's awesome, but his appearance here feels unearned somehow.
He's only shoehorned in because some fucking idiot thought killing the big bad at the halfway point of movie 2 made sense.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know what, after my second viewing I gotta say I like this movie. It's fine.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I weep for the future of movies that this isn't considered a universally reviled trainwreck. It just proves that JJ's deeply cynical hackneyed gamble of having absolutely no discernible themes or character development but throwing in a lot of forced fanservice actually worked on a nonzero amount of people.

I watched it with 8 people. Only two of us hated it, the rest loved it. :( I was too tired to debate the movie with them.

kickz

Nov 3, 2017

lol, calm down this movie improved some of TLJs rough edges like killing off the villain prematurely and Rey having no parents.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't even know if this should be considered a film, just a slideshow of images and references people recognize with some action to hold together a story that could have been written on a napkin at Denny's

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would also love a Palpatine Disney+ series. Show us the lead up to him killing his master.

Yeah honestly a 30 year gap leaves a lot of time to fill in the blanks. I can see Son of Sheev playing a part and rejecting sith lore. I don't know... it's flawed but I like it more on second viewing and there are a ton of back stories they can tell now that D+ is a hit to keep the platform sticky...and really they need to move quickly after next week when mando season wraps up.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
I think it was Hamill telling both JJ and Rian to stawp.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So any of the supporting cast don't count because Luke blows up the Death Star? He's the hero of the day even though they made a whole movie out of the sacrifice of others? Obi wan is not a hero? Han? Chewie? The Skywalkers were never meant to be idolized like that.
Finn came from nothing and became someone that people can count on, it's all his character needed.
I didn't say that and you seem really caught up on an argument I never even made. What does it matter if the skywalkers are the central heroes or not of the franchise when I specifically said they just ended up being losers who accomplished nothing? Like the two are not mutually exclusive and I have no idea why you think they are (nor why you think this matters or why it behooves your argument to try and suggest that the last 9 movies titled "the skywalker saga" are not primarily about the skywalkers).
I just saw it again and it's pretty clear that he was not about to profess his love...it was a different kind of confession either that or Boyega sucks at acting, he didn't have puppy dog lovestruck on his face.They brought it up multiple times in the subsequent dialogue but way too subtlety. I blame a bad script for the uncertainty not some last minute racist conspiracy theory.
Holy shit I have bingo. Also way to be completely ignorant to where the source of the leaks came from but I guess weve reached the point where star wars fans here just reach for calling people racist if an argument doesn't mesh with their own (and we had been doing so well with this as well here).

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just read an article about the idea that all the Sith living inside Palpatine means that when an apprentice kills his master the master always possesses his body, hence why Palpatine is always goading strong Jedi to strike him down in ROTJ and TROS...so he could take them over.

That would also mean Palpatine actually IS Darth Plagueis...and Darth Bane, and all those other guys. Obviously just another retcon and certainly not what George had in mind, but it's an interesting idea.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
None of this was a slap in the face to Rian

Textured Monk

Oct 27, 2017
He's only shoehorned in because some fucking idiot thought killing the big bad at the halfway point of movie 2 made sense.

Can't agree with that. Having not-the-emperor as the big bad again came across as pretty lazy and nothing in TFA made it particularly unique or interesting. Supreme Leader Ren sinking deeper into the dark side and taking centre stage ad the villain was much more interesting IMO, and there's no reason it couldn't have worked.

Deleted member 6122

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol, calm down this movie improved some of TLJs rough edges like killing off the villain prematurely and Rey having no parents.

Improved rough edges like setting up a more interesting Kylo v Rey conflict that wouldn't be a retread of Return of the Jedi and one of the main themes of the entire movie. Amazing
I don't even know if this should be considered a film, just a slideshow of images and references people recognize with some action to hold together a story that could have been written on a napkin at Denny's
It's utterly baffling. One of the most embarrassing things I've ever seen come out of a major studio. To call the scenes in this movie "scenes" feels wrong somehow

shacklecat

Nov 14, 2017
It's completely consistent with how Luke's character arc ended in TLJ, after Rey/Yoda talked sense into him. Not disrespectful at all.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
Right I'm just saying even if they were doing a trilogy I don't think he'd be high on the list, if TROS is any indication.

I'm not saying I know for a fact that people above JJ and Terrio told them to make a movie that way, but how abruptly it dives away from TLJ feels strange, like it was a joint decision to just make a movie that pleases people.

Again, RJ has said as recently as like a few weeks ago that he's talking to LF, not that he is actually making a movie. And he had said in previous other responses that he's waiting to see what's going on. Before that, he had said he's still working on it but that was months ago, and we know LF has been in a shakeup after Solo and decided to pump the breaks on SW movies.

So no, we don't know for sure that he is making another SW movie, because RJ hasn't been saying that recently. I really, really hope he does, but his recent answers have basically been "stay tuned, we'll see what happens".

I'm not sure why you're being so combative when I've said multiple times that I want him to do more SW and would be thrilled with a RJ trilogy.

But nobody is arguing whether or not you want a RJ trilogy. That is not in contention.
I just think the conclusions you're coming to are pretty ridiculous and just sound like you're trying to make up a conspiracy. You say you're not, but then you say:

I don't think he'd be high on the list, if TROS is any indication.

based on:

but how abruptly it dives away from TLJ feels strange, like it was a joint decision to just make a movie that pleases people.

When there's literally no reason to believe that, and:

Rian helped remind me that that's why we're on these movies – not to just do something that you've seen before. I won't say that I felt constrained or limited on 7, but I found myself wanting to do something that felt more consistent with the original trilogy than not. And on 9, I found myself feeling like I'm just gonna go for it a bit more."

"On this one, I let myself be, at least in the way I was approaching the thing, freer. In Episode 7, I was adhering to a kind of approach that felt right for Star Wars in my head. It was about finding a visual language, like shooting on locations and doing practical things as much as possible. And we continue that in Episode 9, but I also found myself doing things that I'm not sure I would have been as daring to do on Episode 7."

TROS is the culmination of the JJ approach, as well as his idea of "taking risks". So in his mind 9 tries to please fans less than 7. Which it certainly did, but not in the way he was intending and still doesn't address why you think this is a path they'd continue to go down when it's not being well received.

And returning to Rian:

I'm not arguing that he's actively in the process of writing or directing a film or even on pre production. But that doesn't mean he's sitting around doing nothing. I would imagine what he's been doing over the past 2 years is creating his new "world" and seeing what that is, what it looks like, what it feels like, what it it sounds like, and how it's still Star Wars and I have no reason to believe he isn't still doing that when:

"I have no update at all," Johnson said. "But I'm still working with Lucasfilm on it, and they're figuring out when they do what and everything."
- October 28th 2019.

I don't know how much more recently you want than less than 2 months ago.

Which means that sure his films haven't been greenlit to go to production, but that's also not the same thing as "not working on it"

Even beyond that Solo released in May 2018, his last updates were in August and October 28th 2019. Over a year after Solo. So I don't really see how those two things connect. Whatever was true about the future of the Star Wars slate in August or October would still be true now and if anything was going to change it would be in the upcoming months based on the reception of TROS.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
It's been four years since Force Awakens and I still can't believe they named the main villain of the movie Snoke.

You're God damn right Rian killed that fool.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
It's completely consistent with how Luke's character arc ended in TLJ, after Rey/Yoda talked sense into him. Not disrespectful at all.

I think it was more the delivery of the line and the context of the internet wars that raged after TLJ. That scene, whether intentional or not, felt like Mark Hamill talking to the audience. It should have been a more sombre moment.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wow Episode 9.... as someone who didn't like Episode 8 my hot take:

Episode 8 tried but ultimately failed to elevate SW.
Episode 9 is "fuck it here is a bunch of OT fan service."

I actually like Episode 8 more after seeing this soulless husk of a movie. It is so predictable and pandering to fans there's literally nothing interesting to discuss here.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Considering that TFA was a retread of ANH and Snoke was a retread of the emperor I'm so glad we got at least one movie with a good original script this trilogy.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Movie was all right. It was like a Marvel film. Fun, but forgettable. My only takeaway is that maybe, MAYBE, it's a really bad idea to do a trilogy where you hire a different writer/director for each?

I kind would have liked Rey to say she was a Solo. Felt like she had a better relationship with Han/Leia/Ben than Luke/Leia.

Completely agree. Disney's large failing was not locking 1 director in for all 3 movies.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's been four years since Force Awakens and I still can't believe they named the main villain of the movie Snoke.

You're God damn right Rian killed that fool.

Rian killed Snoke, because having yet another Palpatine-like villain is fucking lame. JJ proved his point by making Snoke a Palpatine doll and literally making Palpatine the big villain again.

Is like poetry, it rhymes.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
You know what, after my second viewing I gotta say I like this movie. It's fine.
Curious about this. I HATED The Last Jedi after my opening night viewing. Truly. I was so dismayed. I'm now a convert and really rather like it. There was plenty in TROS that I did like but that first viewing was rough. The pacing was crazy. Funnily enough I remember the same with TFA. I think it's just the cinema experience being rather overwhelming compared to watching on Blu-ray on your own time. Maybe, just maybe, my disappointment with TROS will subside and I can enjoy it. At the very least Buba Frik was amazing.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Killing Snoak in TLJ was good and moved us directly into Darth Jacen Ben Solo. That is your final film right there.
EP 9 would still need to address who Snoak was and give us some basic TFO/Luke lore on screen but not too much. Like in The Godfather Part II.
ROS didn´t do shit on that front unless you count the bewildering Alien 4 homage with the Snoak jars. Somemething something it fix it in post. Aka. comics, books, shows...

Buba Frik is Buba Cool. (I like Porgs btw.)

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind that scene, Luke is more at peace and trying to be inspiring, as one with the force.

Still trying retcon the 'you're nothing, you come from nothing" and Rey's having to overcome this fear, to accept this trauma of abandonment was well... what more can be said? I know the villain said that but it had a point in the story.

Also putting Rose and Hux in the background, who weren't that popular with the fans but aren't bad characters and should still have had a influential role.... (I mean Domhnall Gleeson is a talent you appreciate) Luke's spark of hope having no influence on the new rebellion, and reminding you straight away Kylo can't be the big bad. The irony may be lost on people who complained TLJ was the one that disregarded the set ups of the previous film.

Deleted member 21858

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

For sure. Goes for most games as well...
Edit: nvm I just really didn't like this. JJ is cynical and this movie is all fanservice with no themes or character development, in fact a significant amount of character regression.

For sure. It´s a movie with zero originality and soul. No new ideas, no risk. I watched someone saying that this is how JJ Abrams do his stuff, he is very formulaic and just redo previous stories. Seems about right.

I think that it would have been way better for Rise of Skywalker if the plot was indeed about Kylo and Rey grouping up and trying to destroy the Force and end Jedis and Siths. And they would be go up against "normal" soldiers.

Oct 26, 2017
Also I'd like to send my condolences to Kelly Tran, she really didn't deserve that treatment. Actually fucking insulting, I don't even know if I saw her at the celebration in the end. I've never seen a character treated so disrespectfully in a film, taking a back seat bipolar boba and forced Finn love interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.