• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
There are 2 Wayfinder MacGuffins. Both may have lead to the Sith homeworld (?) Exegol in the end. At least the first one used by Kylo did.
Also to actually find those in the first place you had;

- the sith inscription on the dagger
- the new droid that knew everything and no one bothered to ask it about Ochi or Exogol despite the droid being Ochi's and on his ship and when they brought it up that the droid knew everything nobody seemed to care outside of Finn
- C3PO getting his memory wiped to be able to translate the inscription
- Rey going back for the dagger so she could pull out the protractor that points to the throne room (where anyone would look for a sith artifact to find Palpatine) but only if you stand in the exact spot that she managed to and contorted the evil protractor the right way. Also if the DS2 ruins got messed up due to ya know... being ruins in an ocean then you're shit out of luck. Or if scavengers got to them you're shit out of luck
- but in the end none of this matters as she just uses Kylo's ship to get there which still has a wayfinder in it despite the fact that we see his ship get destroyed and burst into flames just a few scenes earlier

Also if the Sith and Palpatine don't want anyone to find them because they're building a secret fleet and rehabilitating Palpatine back to health then why the FUCK would they just leave the wayfinder there in the throne room to begin with

Wouldn't they send someone in the 30 year gap to retrieve it so only Sith loyalists could reach them?

NOTHING IN THIS MOVIE MAKES SENSE

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Another thing, the Emperor had like..... fucking ten thousand star destroyers why didn´t he summon his armada way earlier? Usually when the Starkiller base was still alive? Why did he need the base with such an impressive army? Why this, why that, why why why whyshwy whysj dhedgifewioj

Friend I went to see this with was saying it was New (Final...) Order tech retrofitted, and nowhere in the movie did they show that this was the case. If it had been, then why would the New Order have had to waste so much time with the "Super Duper" Death Star in the first place, when they would have been able to have multiple and very mobile versions of the same thing?

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
I'd like to see the movie JJ would've come up with without having access to Twitter and Reddit to tell him what to do.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brilliant. Now do Sheev's plan

I tried a few days ago in another thread:

The Sith Fleet/Sith Troopers will probably be explained as being composed of clones in the novels. The Aftermath trilogy already indicated that Sheev was sending off scientists and engineers to the Unknown Regions during his rule, so this was probably part of his contingency.

Still doesn't...quite square with Operation Cinder though. And I don't know why he would have wanted Gallius Rax to start the First Order if he was already working on his own fleet.

The best I can assume is that Rax was never meant to start a new organization but was meant wreck the NR before it could grow and punish the Empire for its failure to protect Sheev/prevent someone (Vader) from gaining power over it who could derail his plans, leaving the galaxy in a state of disarray while Sheev's secret dark acolytes (like Yupe Tashu) and scientists in the UR worked on resurrecting him and building the Sith Fleet. Unfortunately, Rax died and Rae Sloane took power and went off to turn the First Order into a neo-Imperial organization. Using his creation, Snoke, Sheev deposed Sloane and took control of the First Order from a distance until he was ready to reveal himself.

Still kind of iffy though.

Nov 13, 2017
This movie could really benefit from a special edition. Even if it's to just add a few more minutes of slower moments.

If TLJ gets a special edition, I can see they removing Kylo's line about Rey's parents being drunks.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Skywalkers-All accomplishments erased and essentially are responsible for more harm than good in the galaxy at this point
Palp-Went out like a fucking chump and had no coherent plan or strategy
Rey-Is forced to take on the loser skywalker name instead of being her own person like in TLJ
Fin-Continues adventures by chasing Rey around.
Poe-I guess is mostly fine
Rose-Sidelined all movie

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Friend I went to see this with was saying it was New (Final...) Order tech retrofitted, and nowhere in the movie did they show that this was the case. If it had been, then why would the New Order have had to waste so much time with the "Super Duper" Death Star in the first place, when they would have been able to have multiple and very mobile versions of the same thing?
Also they leave the mobile planet crackers in the atmosphere the entire time and despite the fact that nobody outside of Exogol has seen these ships before somehow the Resistance knows the layout of the ships and that they're useless in atmosphere and instead of Palpatine or the Final Order putting a few into orbit they decide to wait until they're threatened by the enemy fleet to start going into orbit to become useful

Again, NOTHING IN THIS MOVIE MAKES SENSE

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Finn contributed without looking like a fool, and they teased force sensitivity with him. Rey had sith (or Palpatine to be exact?) powers, yet she stayed good. Those two things make this my favorite of the 3. I didn't really care that a new trilogy was happening, but Finn being a main character made me care. They gave us the okie doke with Finn in TFA, he felt like a side character in TLJ, but felt like a real contributor in this. I loved seeing him and he felt like he had a better head on his shoulders than Poe did. Even though Poe was given command, it felt like he needed Finn to have to courage to actually do it. One of my main issues with this whole Jedi and Sith thing is that it feels like if you have any signs pointing toward the dark side, that's it, you're fucked, no nuance or grey areas or just being a regular ass person with regular emotions but with force powers. I feel like Rey having actual sith powers, but retaining her good, might open the door for that kind of thing. I won't hold my breath, but it's the first time I have hope for it. Rian Johnson with his own creations, with that kind of green light, can give us some real good shit in his trilogy if he still does it.

I hated the kiss. I don't care if it was telegraphed since TLJ, I still hated it. I was rooting for Ben to make it out of this, and go of on his own, until the kiss. I don't know why I hated it so much. I just did.

Oct 25, 2017
It's honestly impressive how badly this movie ruined every character.

Especially when the director who originally made the characters beloved was at the helm. It seems like the decision was made to undo the choices of TLJ, but the problem is that the choices of TLJ all built on TFA in a thoughtful and respectful way. So to shit on TLJ, Abrams had to shit all over himself.

There is a pretty good parable there.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to shit on the sequels anymore, but there's a lot of wasted opportunity.

I don't like Luke being dead. That fucking sucks, but he was a pretty good as a snarky Force ghost. Not quite Yoda, not quite Obi-wan and retaining a bit of pragmatism that would'e been nice for longer than his 3 minutes of screentime.

I really liked when Rey, Poe and Finn were together and seeing the different things that united and divided them, especially between Finn and Poe. But damn it, it shouldn't have taken until the 3rd movie for the characters to become really enjoyable.

But Wedge as a gunner on the Falcon for one shot? Eeehhhhhhh

...I just realized Luke gave up his Jedi career because he could't find a Wayfinder. There was a FUCKING VAULT OF SITH ARTIFACTS in the next door over from where he met the Emperor.

Oh my head. I finally got what I wanted out of the sequels but so many pieces were forced together so it's kind of braindead.

I wish Dark Rey was more than a thing too

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tried a few days ago in another thread:

The Sith Fleet/Sith Troopers will probably be explained as being composed of clones in the novels. The Aftermath trilogy already indicated that Sheev was sending off scientists and engineers to the Unknown Regions during his rule, so this was probably part of his contingency.

Still doesn't...quite square with Operation Cinder though. And I don't know why he would have wanted Gallius Rax to start the First Order if he was already working on his own fleet.

The best I can assume is that Rax was never meant to start a new organization but was meant wreck the NR before it could grow and punish the Empire for its failure to protect Sheev/prevent someone (Vader) from gaining power over it who could derail his plans, leaving the galaxy in a state of disarray while Sheev's secret dark acolytes (like Yupe Tashu) and scientists in the UR worked on resurrecting him and building the Sith Fleet. Unfortunately, Rax died and Rae Sloane took power and went off to turn the First Order into a neo-Imperial organization. Using his creation, Snoke, Sheev deposed Sloane and took control of the First Order from a distance until he was ready to reveal himself.

Still kind of iffy though.

I wonder how Sheev got the money, materials and workforce to create a 1000 fleet of mini death star ships, without no one noticing.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Then your irate opposite punter would say " how dare they foresake or cheapen the bloodlines that are core to the story arc" ...face it...whatever they did someone would have complained that they got it wrong..
I think you just have to make good choices and I hope people will come around. Palpatine's granddaughter just wasn't good and it doesn't make sense, in TLJ she only sees herself in the cave because that's her revelation that she's only Rey, now I know that they try and spin this and she sees herself as that, because she's afraid of herself becoming a sith *cough bullshit cough*but she doesn't see a sith version of herself in that scene, but we know what it really meant, she was afraid of having only having herself and must accept she has no special destiny or linage to overcome her sense of abandonment, and that's why she's so vulnerable in the throne room scene. Palpatine's gran daughter is so dumb. People like to say TLJ didn't respect the mystery boxes that came before, but this twist is just not respecting the story, flat out.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
Also to actually find those in the first place you had;

- the sith inscription on the dagger
- the new droid that knew everything and no one bothered to ask it about Ochi or Exogol despite the droid being Ochi's and on his ship and when they brought it up that the droid knew everything nobody seemed to care outside of Finn
- C3PO getting his memory wiped to be able to translate the inscription
- Rey going back for the dagger so she could pull out the protractor that points to the throne room (where anyone would look for a sith artifact to find Palpatine) but only if you stand in the exact spot that she managed to and contorted the evil protractor the right way. Also if the DS2 ruins got messed up due to ya know... being ruins in an ocean then you're shit out of luck. Or if scavengers got to them you're shit out of luck
- but in the end none of this matters as she just uses Kylo's ship to get there which still has a wayfinder in it despite the fact that we see his ship get destroyed and burst into flames just a few scenes earlier

Also if the Sith and Palpatine don't want anyone to find them because they're building a secret fleet and rehabilitating Palpatine back to health then why the FUCK would they just leave the wayfinder there in the throne room to begin with

Wouldn't they send someone in the 30 year gap to retrieve it so only Sith loyalists could reach them?

NOTHING IN THIS MOVIE MAKES SENSE

Rey used Luke's X-wing to get there which also had the wayfinder. They could've just get Luke's X-wing in the first place instead of going through all this nonsense.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Also they leave the mobile planet crackers in the atmosphere the entire time and despite the fact that nobody outside of Exogol has seen these ships before somehow the Resistance knows the layout of the ships and that they're useless in atmosphere and instead of Palpatine or the Final Order putting a few into orbit they decide to wait until they're threatened by the enemy fleet to start going into orbit to become useful

Again, NOTHING IN THIS MOVIE MAKES SENSE

I didn't understand at all what they were talking about with the control tower, and how the ships couldn't launch without it directing them or some shit. So yeah, we will just blow up this single thing that controls ALL OF THEM and they somehow cannot escape. They were in space. Space...

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Ochi is a "Jedi hunter"/Sith loyalist who Sheev, who must have been alive since at least 15 ABY or so, sent out to capture his granddaughter. He found Rey's parents on Jakku but they sold (!!) their daughter to Unkar Plutt to protect her, then he captured them and took off in his ship (even though Rey was standing RIGHT THERE YELLING AT THE SHIP TO COME BACK). When he couldn't get the parents to speak about Rey's whereabouts, he killed them with his ceremonial dagger, which he had specifically carved to visually demonstrate the location of Sheev's Wayfinder within the wreckage of the Death Star if you hold the dagger up at a certain angle and stand on a certain spot of land. For some reason. He also inscribed on the dagger in the Sith runes the coordinates to find the DSII pieces. He then went to Pasaana, for some reason, and Luke and Lando were chasing him presumably because he's a Jedi hunter and he knew the way to Exegol, which they wanted to find for reasons, but he died when he stepped into quicksand outside his parked ship and got eaten by a snake.
He certainly lead an interesting life, that Ochi.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Rey used Luke's X-wing to get there which also had the wayfinder. They could've just get Luke's X-wing in the first place instead of going through all this nonsense.
I thought she took the wayfinder out of Kylo's ship? Which also doesn't make sense considering it was destroyed on Passana but ya know🤷‍♂️

Deleted member 4260

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a writer or anything but I legitimately think I could've come up with a better story than JJ and Terrio did. It is so creatively bankrupt and they were paid millions to write such a shitty script and that depresses the fuck out of me.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
That felt like 2 Movies in 1, like hell after the first half I was like wtf it's been only 1 hour????

Overall not a fan of how much loose ends the movie left me with also yuck at reylow but ..I still kinda liked it

7.5/10

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
The craziest thing about the Wayfinders is that they aren´t Sith Holocrons:
Using those would have given the 4 credited writers an easy way out as endless YouTube videos could rationalize that shit and be spread over the web. Good luck cleaning up any of this. A full act and a half of this film are a mental coma due to this McGuffin search.

A full season of the widely seen Rebels (8/10) is about them.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Wait, why is that dagger on Mustafar? It can't be Vader's dagger because the stupid plot point about needing the dagger to find where it is on destroyed Death Star 2.

I don't think they will give anyone a trilogy. Just standalones that have hooks for sequels if business warrants it. ie how most movies are made.
Right I'm just saying even if they were doing a trilogy I don't think he'd be high on the list, if TROS is any indication.
The thing about this line of thinking is that, it doesn't really make any sense.
Kathleen Kennedy knew TLJ was divisive before it even released, and she knew what the fan reaction was before episode 9 or the trilogy was offered to RJ. Prior to the film even releasing she said in an interview that the film would be divisive. It's pretty obvious he wasn't viewed as a risk otherwise he wouldn't have been offered those opportunities in the first place.

I'm not arguing that it isn't trying to correct TLJ. I'm arguing the conclusions you're coming to. TROS "correcting" TLJ is because JJ and Terrio [Who have little to no control of the future of Star Wars] made it that way and were given complete creative control on the direction they wanted to take. Like RJ was on 8 and like JJ was on 7, not because Kennedy or Iger told them to do it. There's really no other excuse or explanation.
Terrio's filmography is not great, and a lot of the issues present in TROS are present in TFA. The only difference is people were more willing to be forgiving of them then than they are now and if Kennedy or Iger told them what to do then the film would not be in the state it released in. and Kennedy and Iger are the only ones that have control over the future of the franchise.

So all of the factors that led to the issues of TROS, existed before Rian even picked up a camera to film TLJ and were still present when TROS began production. Those factors lay squarely on the individuals that wrote the script and directed TROS.

By your line of thinking, TLJ is the way it is because Abrams was viewed as a risk and therefore had to course correct, in which case, why was he brought back for TROS? You can say "well TFA was a smash hit" but so was TLJ and it's one of the highest rated Star Wars films to date, which is a far cry from TROS being the lowest by almost all critical and audience metrics.

In addition to that, they've had no problem jettisoning directors when they feel they weren't working out. D&D, Lord & Miller, Trevvarow all being removed from their projects was not a secret. So why would it be a secret that RJ is no longer working on his projects despite working on them and reaffirming that he's working on them for 2 years straight? Which would include the entire TROS production, of which he was consulted on. If Rian felt that he was forced to working on an assembly line film then he would've already walked.

and again it doesn't answer why they would continue down the path of TROS when TROS clearly isn't being well received? instead of going down a path that has both been better received, is already being worked on and corrects a lot of the overall issues of the ST.

It doesn't add up.

To come to the conclusion you're at you need to make multiple leaps of logic while also ignoring multiple facets of the situation.

I don't see how you can say we don't know for sure that he's working on his films when he's continued to confirm that he's working on them for two years straight.

We knew for sure that Abrams was working on Episode 9 because he and LF said he's working on Episode 9.

We knew for sure that D&D are no longer working on a project because they and LF say they're no longer working on a project.

You can't accept those facts and then also say "yeah well, we don't really know". We do know he's working on his projects and we'll know when he isn't. Anything else is you choosing to turn a blind eye.
I'm not saying I know for a fact that people above JJ and Terrio told them to make a movie that way, but how abruptly it dives away from TLJ feels strange, like it was a joint decision to just make a movie that pleases people.

Again, RJ has said as recently as like a few weeks ago that he's talking to LF, not that he is actually making a movie. And he had said in previous other responses that he's waiting to see what's going on. Before that, he had said he's still working on it but that was months ago, and we know LF has been in a shakeup after Solo and decided to pump the breaks on SW movies.

So no, we don't know for sure that he is making another SW movie, because RJ hasn't been saying that recently. I really, really hope he does, but his recent answers have basically been "stay tuned, we'll see what happens".

I'm not sure why you're being so combative when I've said multiple times that I want him to do more SW and would be thrilled with a RJ trilogy.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I didn't understand at all what they were talking about with the control tower, and how the ships couldn't launch without it directing them or some shit. So yeah, we will just blow up this single thing that controls ALL OF THEM and they somehow cannot escape. They were in space. Space...
Yeah lol

And again, that doesn't even matter because they have a capital ship that also has a signal... but how can it know where to go if theres no signal directing that ship? And why did they need a ground team assault to take out a small communication dish when they have a fleet of flying spaceships with guns and bombs

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Has anybody acknowledged the body count in this movie? Rey destroyed like 20k Sith and all of the Final Order ships had like 50k people staffing each one and there was like 1000 of them. It's like half a million people died
Well not for nothing, but that did actually strike me during the end of the film. The movie reminds us several times that the FO is largely staffed by grown-up kidnapped children. And right after the Emperor dies, the film cuts to the shot of a massive number of Star Destroyers falling out of the sky, and we are clearly supposed to see that as a victorious moment of triumph.

But the Emperor is already dead, so now all those abused people are dying or dead for...no reason. That's not a very happy ending.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
This is literally impossible because sheev literally did not have a cogent plan. It was just saying whatever happened was his plan despite the fact that 3 things happened that all contradicted what he previously had said.

I keep trying to figure out when I checked out of this movie and it was the beginning when Poe Gave a complete info dump on Palpatine. Any other film would be crucified for such a flagrant , ridiculous middle finger to " show dont tell" . Which then happens again. And again. And Again.

This is in no way a good film, I didn't hate it , I even get why people love it ,but it is in no way a good film.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Well not for nothing, but that did actually strike me during the end of the film. The movie reminds us several times that the FO is largely staffed by grown-up kidnapped children. But right after the Emperor dies, the film cuts to the shot of a massive number of Star Destroyers falling out of the sky, and we are clearly supposed to see that as a victorious moment of triumph.

But the Emperor is already dead, so now all those abused people are dying or dead for...no reason. That's not a very happy ending.
Yeah lol

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
IIRC they showed a shot of the wayfinder burning in the ship. So the one Rey used must be Luke's.

I thought Luke said "you have everything you need" and then it cut to her reaching into the burnt shell of Kylo's ship. Why would Luke have even had one? One of the plot points was that he was searching for a way to find that planet, but just missed the mark.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'll just repost my thoughts from Facebook after getting home from the movie last night:

"I really liked it! There are some creative decisions I wasn't a fan of, and I feel like it's a movie that would have, oddly enough, benefitted from a longer runtime, as a few key moments didn't have nearly enough time to breathe because the pace is so breakneck, especially in the first act. I certainly wouldn't have minded the finale of the Skywalker Saga to be a 3+ hour epic, instead of the 2.5 hours we got.

Overall, the story was fun, the main cast was great, and have such wonderful chemistry, and I don't feel like it "shat" on The Last Jedi to the extent that hyperbolic reviews and negative nancys imply.

The events of the film are just as much a payoff to TLJ as it is a follow up to The Force Awakens. Visually, it's beautiful, but like I said before, I'd have loved it if more scenes were given time to breathe and we were allowed to settle in to the visuals before moving on to the next set piece.

Carrie Fisher's passing definitely had a significant effect on the production of this movie, and her loss is very much felt in the finished product, though what they managed to do to keep her a core component of this final trilogy in the Skywalker story is commendable.

I'll be seeing it again tomorrow thanks to a Disney company screening of it, and I think I'll be able to absorb more of it second time around. First time watch, though, I was thoroughly entertained.

As a whole, this was a wonderful trilogy that surprised me and entertained me, and as a die hard Star Wars fan, it's been a pleasure to experience this universe in film again, helmed by some truly talented filmmakers that clearly have as much love for the series as I do, even if I didn't always agree with every single one of their creative decisions.

I'm excited for the future of Star Wars, and seeing where Lucasfilm will expand on the universe going forward, now that the "Skywalker Legacy" has officially been put to rest."

I saw it again this morning when I took my best friend and his son to a Fox employee screening. He went in completely blind to it (he didn't watch a single trailer, tv spot, or read any reviews before seeing it). He loved it as well.

Both of us also really liked The Last Jedi and The Force Awakens, and while I didn't love everything about this trilogy, I ultimately came away entertained and satisfied and can't wait to be able to revisit all three at home.

I actually enjoyed it more upon this second viewing, as I was able to just sit back and take it all in, speedy pace and all. For me, I have no interest in "beating" a movie, or breaking down every plot point and trying to find ironclad logic in a world with space wizards and a cosmic Force capable of influencing events and people behavior. It's not that I'm incapable of deeper or more complex analysis, it's just that I pick and choose my battles when it comes to how high I want to dial my "suspension of disbelief" switches.

Like, Get Out? Yeah, that's a film where I find breaking down the themes of the film enjoyable. Same for The Last Jedi, since it's a film attempting to do things beyond surface level. Rise of Skywalker, though? It was clear from moment one that JJ's goal was to make a pulpy, fairly lighthearted and fast paced romp with these characters one last time.

There's nothing wrong with disliking this movie. There's nothing wrong with liking this movie. But discourse was be so much mire enjoyable for both sides if it wasn't marred by Cinema Sins level "gotchaisms".

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I keep trying to figure out when I checked out of this movie and it was the beginning when Poe Gave a complete info dump on Palpatine. Any other film would be crucified for such a flagrant , ridiculous middle finger to " show dont tell" . Which then happens again. And again. And Again.

This is in no way a good film, I didn't hate it , I even get why people love it ,but it is in no way a good film.
Exactly. I totally understand if all you wanted was to see your favorite star wars characters do star wars things. But as a movie is an absolute travesty. I'd also argue if you expected it to expand the universe and story in new and meaningful ways, its still a travesty too.

Deleted member 21858

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Mann it hurts to admit but I think... Disney and the directors just wanted to have "cool" action scenes and lots of effects and explosions and fuck the idea of a plot that makes sense, because Star Wars is focused more on children.

Not even sure if kids nowadays really love Star Wars in an era of youtube, Fortnite and Netflix. I know it won´t ever happen, but Id love a mature Star Wars with heads rolling and the director not being afraid to kill the main characters Ned Stark style.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Skywalkers-All accomplishments erased and essentially are responsible for more harm than good in the galaxy at this point
Palp-Went out like a fucking chump and had no coherent plan or strategy
Rey-Is forced to take on the loser skywalker name instead of being her own person like in TLJ
Fin-Continues adventures by chasing Rey around.
Poe-I guess is mostly fine
Rose-Sidelined all movie
The Skywalkers were never the sole heroes of any of the films
Palp got his bloodline to continue which was his plan
Rey being a Skywalker means that she chooses to honor her mentors
Finn- found out he's force sensitive and was finally a general

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Endor can refer to either the moon or the planet.
Among fans speakily casually? Sure.

In universe Endor and the forest of Endor are two different things. That's besides the point, though, cus they said where it was and that it was in the Endor system. Before watching the movie I thought it was gonna be in the forest moon of Endor but then that scene told us it wasn't.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
So what are the memorable lines (good or bad) from Rise that will be absorbed into pop culture over the next decade?

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Yeah, the galaxy is a destabilized hellhole of mass death after these films. You know hat that means EU fans. Get your Death Sticks ready! It´s Legacy time:
latest

The future of Star Wars begins NOW. Boi, does it ever.

Feb 4, 2018
Yes, it is better that Poe had an arc than not having an arc, and it would have been nice if this movie even acknowledged how he developed in TLJ. Finn's "awareness" in the Force is kind of insulting and does not constitute character growth because the movie doesn't reckon with his revelation, and in fact never even voices it. And leading a ground assault does not suggest growth.

How did Poe develop in TLJ? He's still an asshole at the end of the movie so, if anything, his trajectory through the trilogy is "leader who isn't an asshole > leader who is an asshole > leader who isn't an asshole".

JJ ignored his TLJ arc because it was unnecessary and existed simply to give Poe something to do. Same with Finn—his TLJ arc is a retread of his TFA arc.

This is Rey and Ben's trilogy and their character arcs should be given the most time. Keeping the crew together and seeing them interact with each other is infinitely better than saddling Poe and Finn with less engaging plot-lines doing boring things with boring people.

Restricting the lamps of charisma that are Oscar Isaac and John Boyega to.. meaningless mutinies alongside nobodies and riding fathiers was a waste of talent.

Look, KMT is a charming person and decent actress but something about her TLJ performance doesn't play well with what Boyega was given so the whole thing feels off.

Are we still litigating whether or not Poe and Finn's TLJ arcs were awful? They've been seen as awful from day one.

Status
Not open for further replies.