• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
So that's how Anakin was born from "Immaculate conception".
JJ really has brought the whole thing full circle

tenor.gif

You really believed that "there was no father" bullshit in the first place haha?

Oct 28, 2017
"The arrogant Jedi were so dumb they let Darth Sidious, your grandfa...I mean the emperor...rise to -"

"My what? Am I related to Palpatine? Do you know something about my search for identity, my central story arc, that you're not telling me?!"

"No, I, um, hmm. Let me tell you about Snoke, who is sort of your relative - dammit!"

Luke Skywalker: Who are you?
Rey: I know this place.
Luke: Built a thousand generations ago to keep these. The original Jedi texts. Just like me, they're the last of the Jedi religion. You've seen this place. You've seen this island.
Rey: [whispering] Only in my dreams.
Luke: Who are you?
Rey: The Resistance sent me.
Luke: They sent you? What's special about you? Where are you from?
Rey: Nowhere.
Luke: No one's from nowhere.
Rey: Jakku.
Luke: All right, that is pretty much nowhere. Why are you here, Rey from nowhere?
Rey: The Resistance sent me. We need your help. The First Order has become unstoppable–
Luke: Why are you here?

Just kiddinngggg... knew who you were all along, silly.

MagnusGman

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dallas
Went and saw it with some friends on opening night. We were all unimpressed lol. At least the final battle was pretty fun.

Last Jedi still my fav of the new trilogy looks like.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
"The arrogant Jedi were so dumb they let Darth Sidious, your grandfa...I mean the emperor...rise to -"

"My what? Am I related to Palpatine? Do you know something about my search for identity, my central story arc, that you're not telling me?!"

"No, I, um, hmm. Let me tell you about Snoke, who is sort of your relative - dammit!"
Lol

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I got out of the movie about an hour ago. I was disappointed. I thought the Rey origin reveal was a terrible backtrack on TLJ. Also that whole adventure on the water planet felt expedited. Like the plot started jumping scenes at lightspeed with reckless abandon. Also, it's funny how the Palpatine lighting didn't blow up the ships but Rey baby lightning did

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My wife and I have been joking all day about

Luke: "Who are you?"

He's, uh, just doing what God did in Genesis when he asks Adam and Eve what they've done and why they're naked. He knows the answer, he just wants to hear what they think!

DerAuto

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Just came back from watching it.

I'm looking forward to find out how the heck one can say this film was "ok". It is a complete trainwreck of a movie.

But I really enjoyed the jokes. Almost everyone single got me.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Those fucking zoom ins, those alternating close shots of both madly swinging their lasers, etc... Lucas is (was) such a hack director lol

In this film, JJ showed once again that he just can't direct a good space battle. All those ultra zoomed in cockpit views and seemingly slow moving fighters. WTF? Most of the larger space battles in TFA and this film lacked any real kineticism.

Why isn't Rey like half-alien? Was Palpie a monster-face only because of his use of the dark-side? I thought that was his real face.

The dark side takes its toll on a body, and in the prequels his normal Palpatine face was an illusion I thought. Anyway, he was looking really corpsey in this for whatever reason. Surely he was in a cloned body, and not one that was recovered from the end of the third film.

Last edited:

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
That wasn't my point. I meant thematically, not in terms of story limitations. If you start showing Ben next Leia and Luke people would be wondering "Hey why didn't JJ throw in Anakin too". There was thematic relevance for showing Luke and Leia since they were the ones directly concerned by what Rey was doing.
But Anakin was already redeemed. He's not a part of the core story. Kylo is, and leaving ambiguity as to whether or not he was fully redeemed is a half measure. He failed to exist after his death.
But if the anti RJ movie is not doing well, then wouldn't it make sense to go back to what RJ was doing?

I doubt Kennedy told JJ and Terrio to go out and be the anti TLJ, if JJ and Terrio did that its' because JJ and Terrio wanted to. I doubt there was any mandate to make TROS the way it is, it is the way it is because Abrams lacks constraint and can't help himself and given that Kennedy admitted to letting RJ do whatever he wanted on 8 I would imagine it was the same for JJ on 9. Even passed that, Kennedy already knew TLJ was a "divisive" film prior to it releasing and talked about it in interviews and was totally fine if not happy with that. Then on top of that 9 was offered to RJ before it was offered to JJ and JJ said he "consulted" RJ when doing 9.

So I don't think there's any grand conspiracy within LF against RJ. TROS is the way it is because this is the best JJ and Terrio have to offer. Even with TFA it was obvious all Abrams wanted to do is release a nostalgia film that would try its best to please everyone, 9 is the natural conclusion to that line of thinking.
Well, yeah it would absolutely make sense, but not if you view RJ as a risk. I think they did, otherwise TROS simply wouldn't have happened. Otherwise we'd know for sure if RJ is involved with SW post TLJ. I'm not saying they were directed to trash RJ's vision, but TROS is clearly a negative response to it via its narratives.

I'm not saying there's a conspiracy. I'm saying TROS looks bad and makes it pretty clear that whoever is making these decisions at a minimum wanted to correct some things established in TLJ.
For this to be true you have to believe that the studio directs the story for the movie. But if that were true, then was TLJ the studio actively saying that they wanted an anti-TFA movie? It can't be both ways, if the studio is steering the direction. The more likely explanation is that the studio didn't interfere in any of the three films, and what we got were simply movies that represent who JJ and RJ are as directors (and fans): two clearly different opinions on what SW movies should be.
No, because they let RJ do whatever he wanted and TFA was a smash hit. I don't think they anticipated his story being as divisive among some people as it was.

It doesn't take a genius to see TROS as a way to "correct" many things that TLJ introduced, at a minimum.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Luke Skywalker: Who are you?
Rey: I know this place.
Luke: Built a thousand generations ago to keep these. The original Jedi texts. Just like me, they're the last of the Jedi religion. You've seen this place. You've seen this island.
Rey: [whispering] Only in my dreams.
Luke: Who are you?
Rey: The Resistance sent me.
Luke: They sent you? What's special about you? Where are you from?
Rey: Nowhere.
Luke: No one's from nowhere.
Rey: Jakku.
Luke: All right, that is pretty much nowhere. Why are you here, Rey from nowhere?
Rey: The Resistance sent me. We need your help. The First Order has become unstoppable–
Luke: Why are you here?

We really dont deserve Rian Johnson.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017

This was such an easy fix for JJ, Luke should've said he only knew after his became one with the Force. Luke wasn't even connected to the Force back then, so there's no way he could've felt that.

It's like he wanted some 'from a certain point of view' memes or something.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Luke knowing Sheev is alive but doing fuck all about it fits with his charactertization in the beginning of TLJ, though after he ghosted he should've said.

"Uh, Rey, Palpatine is alive and he's your granddaddy. He's your problem now, cya!"

*Goes to shoot womp-rats with Obi-wan and Yoda in Jedi heaven*

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
If Luke knew Palpatine was alive and he decided to off himself anyway when he could have just flown his X-Wing to Crait....

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there's any reason to believe that Luke knew Sheev was alive, just that he may have known Rey was his granddaughter.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Imagine if Rey and Kylo didn't make out and JJ/Lucasfilm didn't feel the need to redeem every shitty thing Kylo has ever done because they realized too late that their heroine making out with a space Nazi who changed his mind at the last minute isn't a good look.

Also again this movie starts with Kylo slaughtering natives lol
Those weren't even natives , they were evil Vader cultists making pilgrimage to Mustafar. So yeah even there Kylo was doing everyone a favor.

Feb 4, 2018
After hating it my first time through, then it starting to grow on me after my second time through, I just left my third viewing and...

I really love this movie and am kind of being radicalized against TLJ because of it.

Finn's arc in this is amazing and his journey here really should've been his journey in TLJ—growing in the Force and gradually becoming more attuned to everything around him, leading to him starting this movie as a General and a strong force user on his way to being a Jedi.

Poe's transition into the scoundrel of the group is perfect and JJ threads the needle between Poe being charismatic and Poe being an asshole really well, which is definitely not a line RJ threaded at all—Poe's a misogynist asshole in TLJ and RJ's choice to play him against Holdo and Leia was a mistake.

Don't chirp me saying, "...b-b-but Poe had an arc!!" Poe going from an asshole who doesn't listen to an asshole who knows how to lead still makes him an asshole and I'm glad JJ fixed him in TROS.

Rey's drift to the dark side in TROS seemed more realistic than her TLJ arc and actually follows the lore George established. She's out of control, impatient, and loses her temper in this movie—that's a drift to the dark side, not bemoaning her identity because she doesn't have a place in the story.

Going into TROS, I was on Team Rian re: Rey being nobody is more interesting than her being the daughter of someone special, but after seeing it a third time, I really see the beauty of her storyline in TROS: We may not choose our family but we do not have to be defined by them.

Star Wars is at its best when it's a conversation about what makes us human and having some catharsis around one's parents is a much stronger emotion than never getting any closure.

"I reject your evil, like my parents before me" might feel like a retread of RotJ but it really resonated with me the third time 'round. Embracing the sacrifice of one's parents instead of following in the footsteps of pure evil. What's not to like about that??

Daisy Ridley acted her ass off in this and it's because she really believed in the script. Her acting in TLJ works occasionally but Driver's usually the one doing the heavy lifting. There's a detached quality to her acting in TLJ and I'm not sure it works.

Her TLJ scenes with Adam will always be amazing, but those feel like they belong in a small indie drama instead of a pulpy, action-adventure flick.

For all of the talk of TLJ being a character-driven movie, I think it's telling that most people describe RJ's choices in a very cerebral, abstract way. "I love that the force is available to everyone." "Spending an entire movie litigating the sins of the Jedi was emotionally satisfying!" I'd love to see Rian get his own trilogy so he can explore the more cerebral ideas but this saga is pulp! Let it be pulp!

So, I left the theater hating TROS my first go round because I felt like JJ was kowtowing to racist assholes.

On my third viewing, I noticed that Rose actually has a relatively prominent role in the plot. No, she doesn't have central billing and the "Last chance, Rose" conversation still feels like a slap in the face for KMT, but she's still present for most scenes and has a decent number of lines.

Star Wars is about emotional catharsis and having fun, and TLJ's side-stepping those aspects wasn't a smart choice and honestly make TLJ out to be more of a farce than a serious attempt at engaging Star Wars on its merits.

RJ's heart was in the right place for TLJ but I think we will look back on TLJ as a horny meditation on Ben and Rey's relationship and will discard everything else as well-intentioned drivel.

TL;DR: I love this movie and I think the folks that hate it will start to come around on it the more they look at what it's actually trying to do instead of what they think it's trying to do.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got back. I thought it was fine. The beginning was really good but the amount of rushed ideas and fixes at the end felt imbalanced.

The only thing I was confused about was the new (?) rules about physical translocation of permanent objects- especially after TLJ seemed to be clear that they were temporary illusions like Luke's dice. Maybe it's in extended canon? Also I guess I failed to "get" Keri Russell and her mask because it felt like a Sean Connery in Robin Hood "huge guest" thing in how it was framed but I'm not sure if there's some Keri lore or significance I'm missing? Although her nope to Poe at the end was easily the best gag.

oh and Finn's delayed confession to Rey was pointless and simultaneously blue balls for plot and character development.

emperor was actually less camp and amazing than prior movies although his scheme was ok to a point. Not really sure about the crowds in his arena. Were they sith cadets?

leias lightsaber would have been a trillion times more effectiveif it had even been glimpsed in a prior film. Anakin gotta be fuming that sheevs granddaughter had thejuice to fix his would be wife. I thought that felt authentic to the force mythology but not sure if it existed elsewhere in extended canon or not.

Rant:

Went to a 21 and over matinee but some neckbeard insisted on loudly scoffing at how terrible it all was and laughing at anything intended to be serious or poignant- it became apparent he'd already seen it too - when he started his schtick slightly ahead of the moments— so I guess he went twice to own the libs or something?

I eventually got up and told him to cut it the fuck out which he immediately did — but I was irritated and tense for the rest of the film. So my impressions are probably negatively colored by that episode.

I hope it wasn't one of you guys.

I'll probably see it again and ruminate for a bit but as of now it's (OG trilogy quality is age gated subjectivity because I was 12 for ROTJ):

1. rotj
2. SW
3. Esb
4. R1
5. FA
6. TLJ
7. ROSk

17. Atari SW arcade

28. Xmas special

56. Solo

order66. Prequels

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first half moves so fast I didn't even realize one of the planets visited is Mustafar

It might have helped if they showed us anything on the planet that looked like Mustafar.

What gets into JJ's head where he thinks "Great, let's show Mustafar and have Kylo find Vader's Wayfinder!" and NOT show the castle?

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
It's such a weak move to kill off Ben instead of exploring the ramifications of his redemption. How interesting would it have been to see Punished Ben struggle to find his place in the galaxy post-TROS.

Episode X is probably going to have a new Empire, new Rebellion, some rando in a desert getting awesome force powers and Rey sitting on an island somewhere.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After hating it my first time through, then it starting to grow on me after my second time through, I just left my third viewing and...

I really love this movie and am kind of being radicalized against TLJ because of it.

Finn's arc in this is amazing and his journey here really should've been his journey in TLJ—growing in the Force and gradually becoming more attuned to everything around him, leading to him starting this movie as a general and strong force user on his way to being a Jedi.

Poe's transition into the scoundrel of the group is perfect and JJ threads the needle between being charismatic and being an asshole really well, which is definitely not a line RJ threaded at all—Poe's a misogynist asshole in TLJ and RJ's choice to play him against Holdo and Leia was a mistake.

Don't chirp me saying, "...b-b-but Poe had an arc!!" Poe going from an asshole who doesn't listen to an asshole who knows how to lead still makes him an asshole and I'm glad JJ fixed him in TROS.

Rey's drift to the dark side in TROS seemed more realistic than her TLJ arc and actually follows the lore George established. She's out of control, impatient, and loses her temper—that's a drift to the dark side, not bemoaning her identity because she doesn't have a place in the story.

Entering TROS, I was on Team Rian re: Rey being nobody is more interesting than her being the daughter of someone special, but after seeing it a third time, I really see the beauty of her storyline in TROS: We may not choose our family but we do not have to be defined by them.

Star Wars is at its best when it's a conversation about what makes us human and having some catharsis around one's parents is a much stronger emotion than never getting any closure.

"I reject your evil, like my parents before me" might feel like a retread of RotJ but it really resonated with me the third time 'round. Embracing the sacrifice of one's parents instead of following in the footsteps of pure evil. What's not to like about that??

Daisy Ridley acted her ass off in this and it's because she really believed in the script. Her acting in TLJ works occasionally but Driver's usually the one doing the heavy lifting. There's a detached quality to her acting in TLJ and I'm not sure it works looking back on it.

Her TLJ scenes with Adam will always be amazing, but those feel like they belong in a small indie drama instead of a pulpy, action-adventure flick.

For all of the talk of TLJ being a character-driven movie, I think it's telling that most people describe RJ's choices in a very cerebral, abstract way. "I love that the force is available to everyone." "Spending an entire movie litigating the sins of the Jedi was emotionally satisfying!" I'd love to see Rian get his own trilogy so he can explore the more cerebral ideas but this saga is pulp! Let it be pulp!

So, I left the theater hating TROS my first go round because I felt like JJ was kowtowing to racist assholes.

On my third viewing, I noticed that Rose actually has a relatively prominent role in the plot. No, she doesn't have central billing and the "Last chance, Rose" conversation still feels like a slap in the face for KMT, but she's still present for most scenes and has a decent number of lines.

Star Wars is about emotional catharsis and having fun, and TLJ's side-stepping those aspects wasn't a smart choice and honestly make TLJ out to be more of a farce than a serious attempt at engaging Star Wars on its merits.

RJ's heart was in the right place for TLJ but I think we will look back on TLJ as a horny meditation on Ben and Rey's relationship and will discard everything else as well-intentioned drivel.

TL;DR: I love this movie and I think the folks that hate it will start to come around on it the more they look at what it's actually trying to do instead of what they think it's trying to do.

The only thing Finn does in this movie is run, yell out "Rey!", and quips.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just watched it with my own eyes. It was every bit as bad as the leaks made it out to be. The pacing more than anything is what annoyed me. It's like this was meant to be 2 movies and they just decided to edit down the first one into 20 minutes.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I need someone to edit the final scene when Rey is fighting Palpatine except when she powers up with the lightsabers this starts playing from the crowd

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
I really loved the ST narrative arc from TFA and TLJ. Just saw the movie today and I'm deeply sad and disappointed that the saga had to end like this.

There are really good SW moments buried in there, but ultimately the entire Palpatine storyline really destroyed everything. The opening crawl was insulting. Only good thing to come out of it was the Sith lore and how it related to the rule of two. Everything else about the main plot... I have no idea why they greenlighted this.

Deleted member 21858

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Another thing, the Emperor had like..... fucking ten thousand star destroyers why didn´t he summon his armada way earlier? Usually when the Starkiller base was still alive? Why did he need the base with such an impressive army? Why this, why that, why why why whyshwy whysj dhedgifewioj

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
There is literally not a single scene in TROS, like a real scene, that is directed, staged and allowed to play like this. Two characters talking, feeling each other out, exploring ideas/themes, building to something. Not a single one
It's amazing how vastly inferior this movie is even to TFA.

Nov 13, 2017
What confuses me are TLJ stans that act like Rey being a nobody and "the force belongs to everyone!" are some kind of ground breaking ideas...lol

Like literally all of theJedi, minus the Skywalkers, were nobodies. Qui Gon, Obi Wan, etc.

Jodez99

Jan 1, 2018
Poe constantly asking Finn what he was gonna tell Rey was like a way for the audience to ask and yet JJ still didnt include the answer in the film

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
There is literally not a single scene in TROS, like a real scene, that is directed, staged and allowed to play like this. Two characters talking, feeling each other out, exploring ideas/themes, building to something. Not a single one
The only scene that takes a moment to just idle a bit is when Finn and Jennah (I don't recall how it's spelled) talk about her being an ex-Stormtrooper.

One of the major things about TFA is that that movie also didn't have any of those scenes asides from Rey's introduction.

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Another thing, the Emperor had like..... fucking ten thousand star destroyers why didn´t he summon his armada way earlier? Usually when the Starkiller base was still alive? Why did he need the base with such an impressive army? Why this, why that, why why why whyshwy whysj dhedgifewioj
It's funny too in that the First Order was pretty much ruling the galaxy in TLJ and if Palpatine even had a few hundred of those ships ready then he would have totally dominated the galaxy with an iron first by giving a few to the First Order that he was controlling anyway. Instead he waits until he has 10,000 ships for no reason.

Oct 27, 2017
If Luke knew Palpatine was alive and he decided to off himself anyway when he could have just flown his X-Wing to Crait....

Even assuming he could get there in time, what would he have done? Actually survive that barrage for real and then kill Kylo?

Also nothing implies anyone knew Palpatine was alive at that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.