• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 11039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
having had some time to let my thoughts on this flick crystalize, i disagree with nearly every decision from a writing standpoint (sheeve, grandrey sheeve, luke's sacrifice in TLJ expressly having zero effect on the galaxy writ large. Lando pulling the largest fleet ever seen out of nowhere in 20 minutes, leia snapping her fingers to turn ben, etc). the movie was still just a lot of fun to watch. It's the embodiment of "turn off your brain and enjoy," and i'm kind of OK with that.

I don't think Leia turns Ben. The way I read it was more it was the actions of Rey that did.

She had basically won and killed him, but choose to give him part of her life to save his.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I'm honestly baffled that anyone would like this movie. I feel like they saw something else.
Depends on what you're looking for, I guess. If you like high action and don't care much about character development, this is a really great movie. Top-tier action, set pieces, backgrounds, and even comic relief. If you care more about the characters themselves and their personal journeys...yea, the movie is going to feel like it's missing something.

I saw it and I really didn't see any disrespect there
Nor did I.

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017
The tug-of-war scene was so fucking cool though. Legit gasped when Rey zapped the ship.

Maybe it would have worked better if it wasn't Chewie who got captured, since later they show he's alive and well? idk, maybe some local villager who helped them reach the ship?

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
What do you think Luke's arc in TLJ was?
don't ask him to think!

The tug-of-war scene was so fucking cool though. Legit gasped when Rey zapped the ship.

Maybe it would have worked better if it wasn't Chewie who got captured, since later they show he's alive and well? idk, maybe some local villager who helped them reach the ship?

Agree. Something of value needed to be lost to allow that scene to have weight. They sort of robbed it of a lot of its post-chewy impact.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Remember how Anakin was the chosen one who brought balance to the force by destroying Palpy? Well he didn't really do that now did he? Skywalker family is a failure, Anakin turns to dark and does fuck all, Luke thinks of killing Ben resulting in Ben going dark and deaths of all his apprentice, Ben is a fuckup, Leia couldn't get enough support to mount a full scale rebellion.

And the one who actually destroys Palpy is a Palpatine, who gets an encouragement dialogue by Anakin while his grandson is lying injured to the side.

You can't make this shit up.

Destroying the Emperor was a side effect of saving his son. For a character that is essentially Satan in the Star Wars universe I do think he warranted a more intentioned end.

The Skywalker family was manipulated across generation by, again, Star Wars Satan. They were a 'failure' with Darth Vader, and all the same they facilitated the death of the Emperor through Rey.

The hilarious thing is that they fight Kylo at the end. Why? Why are Knights of REN....fighting Kylo Ren and following Sheev? Lol

Kylo Ren is a title, like Darth Vader. The fact that the Knights of Ren didn't follow Kylo around in TFA or TLJ suggested to me that 'Ren' is more of an order than a person.

Oct 29, 2017
I saw it and I really didn't see any disrespect there

Agreed. Folks are too quick to jump to TLJ's defense. Probably because of the years of constant arguing, but honestly that scene was a good example of Luke's growth during the events of TLJ. And also took it as a nod to Rey, who was baffled when she saw him do the same thing when they first met.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's nice that Yoda and co. brought back Mace Windu and the others from the void to make them into Force ghosts

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, he is.

They both serve their purpose in the film they are introduced in, and are obviously present for the next film but aren't the MAIN cast. It's pretty obvious that the main focus was, and should be, Rey, Finn, and Poe.

I like both Rose and Lando, but I'm not confused or upset that they aren't with Rey, Finn, Poe/Luke, Leia, Han the whole time.
But Lando blows up the goddamn Death Star again.

It's not that Rose needed to be or even should have been a *major* character in this, or another personal arc. It's that she's given absolutely nothing of consequence to do. The movie is literally all arbitrary plot mechanics and yet they just couldn't find one for her, for some reason. She deserved some kind of moment, even a minor one.

Oct 27, 2017
This was a fun movie to watch that just doesn't stand up to any degree of scrutiny. Enjoyed it at the time but I've either already forgotten significant chunks of it or actively don't like most of what I do.

People like to compare this trilogy to the prequels too. I thought the kiss was as cringeworthy and stupid as just about anything in the PT. It received similar audible groans in my theatre to Alien Covenents flute fingering.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Agreed. Folks are too quick to jump to TLJ's defense. Probably because of the years of constant arguing, but honestly that scene was a good example of Luke's growth during the events of TLJ. And also took it as a nod to Rey, who was baffled when she saw him do the same thing when they first met.
That's an interesting perspective. I would have said folks are too quick to jump to insult TLJ, trying to make everything some sort of justification for their dislike of TLJ by saying JJ was making fun of the movie.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
I'm honestly baffled that anyone would like this movie. I feel like they saw something else.
img_0013-png.677452

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
So many pointless pieces .

- big scene about c3po getting his memory wiped .. 5 mins later he is back to normal.
- oh no chewy is dead! .. 5 mins later no he isn't and everything is fine.
- Finn mumbles something to try as he thinks they are dying ... nothing is ever said about again.
- the whole Rose " I love you" from the last movie is never mentioned again.
- Rey can easily float while training, but nearly falls to her death many times after.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I guess my feeling with Luke and the lightsaber thing was that in TLJ Luke changed his mind but the film wasn't outright stating that his behavior and attitude was wrong, especially considering he makes numerous valid points. I guess that was the intention but the early comedy screws up some of that messaging, that and I don't think Rey did a good enough job countering some of that cynicism. Anyway though, his scene in RoS does flow well from his state of mind in TLJ.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, he is.

They both serve their purpose in the film they are introduced in, and are obviously present for the next film but aren't the MAIN cast. It's pretty obvious that the main focus was, and should be, Rey, Finn, and Poe.

I like both Rose and Lando, but I'm not confused or upset that they aren't with Rey, Finn, Poe/Luke, Leia, Han the whole time.

Fair enough. See I would argue that Lando *was* main cast in RotJ. Not at the level of Han, Luke, and Leia obviously but still a significant player. He was *the* POV character for the space battle and is the one who ultimately blows up the Death Star. Lucas, Kasdan, and Marquand did right by his character. The same can't be said IMO for Rose.

Especially given the blatant "Rose, are you coming along?". "No, I can't. General has me doing busy work". Given the relationship between Rose and Finn in TLJ, she should have been Finn's sounding board instead of creating an entirely new character.

Oct 25, 2017
Remember how Anakin was the chosen one who brought balance to the force by destroying Palpy? Well he didn't really do that now did he? Skywalker family is a failure, Anakin turns to dark and does fuck all, Luke thinks of killing Ben resulting in Ben going dark and deaths of all his apprentice, Ben is a fuckup, Leia couldn't get enough support to mount a full scale rebellion.

And the one who actually destroys Palpy is a Palpatine, who gets an encouragement dialogue by Anakin while his grandson is lying injured to the side.

You can't make this shit up.
I was originally upset about that but Palpatine wasn't all that alive really and Rey needed Ben.

It was extremely dumb but didn't ruin it for me like I expected from the leaks

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Yea 3PO needs R2 to be at his best.

I do feel BB8's existence basically sidelined R2, and not using R2 as much for 3PO meant he got sidelined even more.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

It's not that Rose needed to be or even should have been a *major* character in this. It's that she's given absolutely nothing of consequence to do. She deserved some kind of moment, even a minor one.
I would have liked to see her role bigger. Maybe a commander of some sort. But she is not an equivalent of Lando Calrissian.

In context, Rose was what? A security guard/foot soldier by trade who just really believed in the Rebellion and its cause. Lando, by contrast, was a fucking king, with literally his own space station in the clouds. He was the true owner of the Millennium Falcon. He was the most charasmatic sommbitch in the history of Star Wars. It's reasonable that with his power, influence, and history that he be presented in E6 as an important figure as a new member of the Rebellion. Rose has no such background to leverage. If her backstory had been that of a pilot like her sister was, they prob could have done more with that.

In retrospect, they could have made her into a pilot with the character development as her being inspired by her sister's sacrifice. I could see her in a Y-Wing or B-Wing. It would have been dope and she could have gotten good screen time in the final conflict as a squad leader of the first successful downing of one of those Star Destoyers or something. Or maybe they could have put her in Poe's squad and they could have had each other's backs.

I completely agree that Rose deserved more screen time. But a Lando equivalent she is not.

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019

It's not that Rose needed to be or even should have been a *major* character in this, or another personal arc. It's that she's given absolutely nothing of consequence to do. The movie is literally all arbitrary plot mechanics and yet they just couldn't find one for her, for some reason. She deserved some kind of moment, even a minor one.
They gave Dominic Monaghan all the lines she should have had. It was weird

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Second best movie of the worst SW trilogy. Episodic movies make so much money so there will be an ep10 within 3 years. I hope next time they don't do the open meandering freedom they gave to directors in the ST. The retcons in this were out of hand.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Where did I read a while back that this movie dealt with Carrie gracefully? Who wrote that article or tweet? Show yourselves! Also, I'm never looking at another Richard E Grant video message ever again.

This is like Skyrim on PS3 all over again!

Oct 27, 2017
JJ saying exactly what I said after seeing the movie that Luke's comment about the lightsaber was a result of his arc in TLJ, not disrespect to Rian.

Yeah, I mean I'm going more and more negative on this movie as it marinates in my head, but I do not think it contains any real pettiness from Abrams. Luke was wrong in TLJ! That was Johnson's arc for him!

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
You know, from all the contradictory moments in the movie that felt like it was outright ignoring or making a statement against The Last Jedi, I didn't feel that way with Luke catching the lightsaber. It felt like a natural progression of his character, after finally falling out of his depressive slump and realizing how important the Jedi are to the galaxy at large. It was like he was telling Rey not to make the same mistakes he made.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

LMAO

I detect no lies. I do like potato salad and I loved the potato salad that TROS offered. I just would have liked some other sides and a main course of character development to go with it, you know? :-(

You know, from all the contradictory moments in the movie that felt like it was outright ignoring or making a statement against The Last Jedi, I didn't feel that way with Luke catching the lightsaber. It felt like a natural progression of his character, after finally falling out of his depressive slump and realizing how important the Jedi are to the galaxy at large. It was like he was telling Rey not to make the same mistakes he made.
I don't think there were any contradictory moments of note at all. All of them were explained and justified. Including Luke's saber catch and comment, as anyone who actually watched and absorbed the lessons he learned and personal growth he found from the beginning of TLJ to the end should have understood.

Status
Not open for further replies.