• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
The writers/directors are top dog. It's a clout thing. Nobody on the story group has the power to override JJ Abrams, Rian Johnson, Lawrence Kasdan, etc. Only Kennedy could do that. That's why they have been relatively hands off on the ST timeline in the EU. The filmmakers aren't going to be told they can't do something because it contradicts a novel or comic book so it's best to let the ST finish before really opening the floodgates on the EU in this era.

I get that, and I understand that they are never going to overrule the creatives. I just hope to hell there are people within Lucasfilm who saw this trainwreck coming even if they were powerless to stop it. If not the franchise is in big trouble.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Leia's death was like the character looked at a clock and was like "Oh, time to die I guess"
I'm still not quite sure what happened but in the flashback Luke said something like Leia saw that at the end of her Jedi Path was the death of her son. She used some Force power and then died and her body only disappeared when Ben's did, so whatever premonition Luke was talking about seemed to occur.

Dec 12, 2017
J.J. saw that opportunity from TLJ to remove even more travel time and fucking ran with it lol
Yeah it's the one thing from TLJ he leaned directly into and just made shit the fuck up.

"Remember when Rey and Kylo JediSkyped and he had water on him from Ach Too? If he could teleport water droplets, what if they can flat out just teleport things back and forth? Force InterOffice Mail if you will. Perfect!"

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I will also say:

They should have brought back Palps as a force ghost trying to come back into the world who was pulling the strings behind the scenes and not physically manifest. It also didn't need the stakes of the big space battle at the end. There were decent ideas in this movie, this just wasn't pulling it off well enough.

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
Disney wants to pull an Avenger with SW. I bet they'll announce a Finn or Jannah movie or TV. Anything to start having these characters in their own movies who sometimes feature in one another's movies, and come together in the big Avenger-like movies. All they need to do is hand over enough money to get them on board.
Yeah, this seems abundantly clear. I think KK was holding off on any announcements to gauge the reception to TRoS. If it is well received and people want more of these characters, then the next slate would probably be non-saga sequels. However if this thing tanks, which yikes it looks like it very well might, then they probably want to go for a heavier overhaul. It's possible they would still do the former and just want to hold off to avoid spoiling fates of characters, but that seems less likely in prospect. But hey, it's only Saturday so who knows.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I will also say:

They should have brought back Palps as a force ghost trying to come back into the world who was pulling the strings behind the scenes and not physically manifest. It also didn't need the stakes of the big space battle at the end. There were decent ideas in this movie, this just wasn't pulling it off well enough.
I think its better that only Jedi can become ghosts and live on in the Force, its more fitting that Sith uses their powers and machinery to cling to life for as long as possible.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still not quite sure what happened but in the flashback Luke said something like Leia saw that at the end of her Jedi Path was the death of her son. She used some Force power and then died and her body only disappeared when Ben's did, so whatever premonition Luke was talking about seemed to occur.

It's the same old lesson we get all the time with prophecies and the like - whatever actions you take to prevent a prophecy from coming true is usually what is needed to ensure it does.

Palparine tried to corrupt the prophecy of the Chosen One but he really just caused it to happen, or at least that was the idea before Palpatine never died.

Anakin tried to prevent Padmé from dying like he saw in his visions, except everything he did led to him killing her himself.

It happens a lot outside of Star Wars, too.

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
It's a little messy and not well defined so I might be reaching, but since it's established that healing isn't just healing, it's a transfer of life, I think it is possible that Leia transferred her own life long distance so that Rey didn't give up some of hers. That's why both Ben and Rey get a little burst of Leia. So she symbolically and literally both saved her son and lives inside him and that's why her body disappeared with his.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What I like about going through this thread is how many times I've seen the phrase: "I didn't hate it." I mean I agree but it's funny to me how the best some people can say is that they didn't feel strongly negative about it.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
When Ben and Rey were standing side by side with their lightsabers near the end I was thinking "Yes! Here we go!", but then a second later "guess not".

Deleted member 11039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This honestly needs to be addressed by JJ in a Q&A because it's such a gaping hole in my eyes. A very unnecessary one too.

Yeah. It's bad.

And it seems like it could have easily coexisted with what happens in ROS.

Put something in the crawl about Luke inspiring the galaxy to fight back against the FO and then have some line in there somewhere about not being able to get help because everyone is busy cleaning up the FO on other fronts or something.

Lando could still go off to sway some to join the "real" fight or whatever and have the big tada moment with the fleet behind him.

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
Did The Final Duel make it in anywhere? I don't remember hearing it.

Secret best Star Wars track.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
I don't get how Ben and Rey were "once in generations" dyad but Luke and Leia (twins born of the Chosen One) were not. Oh well!

Oct 25, 2017
This movie was so incoherent that you would think the person who wrote Batman V Superman and Justice league had a writing credit on it!

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Hey now. John Williams is the one person who has been more than pulling his weight across these 9 films.

How dare your besmirch his name.

Maybe it's more because we're living in an era where the new music isn't pounded into my head via all the many LucasArts video games, but I can't recall from memory any of the new music other than Rey's Theme.

It's not that John Williams did a bad job so much that I feel like he did a legendary job with the PT and OT. I might even put the music of the PT above the other two trilogies even though the Imperial March slaps.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Even the music was disappointing. Was there even a single new track in the entire film?

Oh please, you have no excuse for this. John Williams even named a new theme after the movie.

Maybe it's more because we're living in an era where the new music isn't pounded into my head via all the many LucasArts video games, but I can't recall from memory any of the new music other than Rey's Theme.

It's not that John Williams did a bad job so much that I feel like he did a legendary job with the PT and OT. I might even put the music of the PT above the other two trilogies even though the Imperial March slaps.

As we have seen with the MCU and other properties, themes become memorable through repetition. The Avengers theme is not the best theme in the MCU, but it's the one used far the most often so that's the one people remember the most. You are correct in that there aren't many games and other stuff that use ST content (therefore no way to hear the Williams themes unless you re-watch the movies), but listening to the soundtracks on a regular basis, John Williams certainly brought a lot to the table this time around. Different flavor (more Russian, less Opera), but still the same.

Dec 22, 2017
Trying to remember who Finn says the "the force brought us together" line to ... was it Jannah? So he just tells some stranger he might five minutes ago but can't bring himself to tell his best friend. Why can't he tell her, does he think it will give her anxiety or something?

Strange thing to get hung up on. He just met another First Order deserter for the first time, and he was clearly connecting with her about not wanting to kill unarmed civilians. It may be something he's never told anyone, but now he has met someone else who will know exactly what he felt and won't think he's crazy. I thought it was the perfect way to reveal to us, the audience, that Finn can feel the force.

This movie made a lot of stupid, contrived decisions, but the Finn/Jannah stuff was great.

I agree though it's weird that he would be afraid to tell Rey. I am still on team "he was gonna say he loves her and they changed it in reshoots" lol.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
That interview with JJ was pretty enlightening. His answer to the lightsaber thing is good. It does make me feel stronger about how Rian made a mistake making that part into a joke though. If one of TLJ's main themes is that Luke's attitude was wrong at the beginning then I don't think the movie did a clear enough job of that and the comedy muddles that message.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I gotta admit, my emotional roller coaster went like this:

First 20 mins or so: Hey this isn't as bad as they're making it out to be.

When Poe is overdramatically telling everyone the Emperor is still alive: oh no . . . .

The moment after Chewy 'dies' and our beloved heroes storm the fully-manned Star Destroyer with probably a company of Stormtroopers onboard, doing it guns blazing Rambo style: OH NO!

The last 30 min or so when Rey and our heroes go to confront the emperor: Ah fuck it, this garbage is total camp, might as well lean into it, and I fell in love with this portion. With the culmination of everything before it, it was such beautiful garbage.

I also really liked Zorri Bliss, but man her costume was pure schlock and her 'sure I'll help you guys!' turn was way too fast.

4/10

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

March of the Resistance, Jedi Steps, Canto Bight, also the music when it's revealed that Luke was Force projecting in TLJ...

I don't remember any new music from TROS though. Leia's theme was way overused in TROS.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Attack of the Clones has the weakest score in the saga.

Across the Stars is obviously brilliant but there's barely any other new music. The first half has Harry Potter music and the final act is all reused Phantom Menace music.

Oct 28, 2017
Strange thing to get hung up on. He just met another First Order deserter for the first time, and he was clearly connecting with her about not wanting to kill unarmed civilians. It may be something he's never told anyone, but now he has met someone else who will know exactly what he felt and won't think he's crazy. I thought it was the perfect way to reveal to us, the audience, that Finn can feel the force.

This movie made a lot of stupid, contrived decisions, but the Finn/Jannah stuff was great.

I agree though it's weird that he would be afraid to tell Rey. I am still on team "he was gonna say he loves her and they changed it in reshoots" lol.

I actually think you're right. The scene between them was actually good.

Dec 12, 2017
I think I am so dejected because this ST had such potential, great casting, likable leads and genuinely good chemistry. We will never likely see this group together again and we always wonder what if. What if they had amazing material to work with from start to finish?

The sports analogy is, it's like having a championship caliber team of talent with bad coaching for 2/3s of the time that ultimately sinks their chances of winning.

And that is what is the downer.

Venuslulu

Oct 28, 2017
One thing I really hated about the movie was the new force teleport items ability.

Yeah.

I'm all for doing anything that makes sense for the character even if it's beyond the normalcy of the universe, but this power seems designed around creating pointless forward momentum to just get in the next plot point.
That interview with JJ was pretty enlightening. His answer to the lightsaber thing is good. It does make me feel stronger about how Rian made a mistake making that part into a joke though. If one of TLJ's main themes is that Luke's attitude was wrong at the beginning then I don't think the movie did a clear enough job of that and the comedy muddles that message.

My even bigger take away is that J.J. is like most film makers in that he has no real bad intentions at all, and somehow this narrative of "J.J. hates Last Jedi" has so much steam. The movie is just hockey because the J.J. is that kind of film maker man.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Given that the story was pretty rushed, I don't know why they didn't just cut out that entire side-plot where they had to get the data from C-3PO. Given that he got his memories back shortly after, it just felt like a complete waste of 20 minutes. I thought the payoff for the scene was that 3PO was going to get ALL his memories back.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Did everyone catch the ROTS music in the movie?
I didn't hear ROTS but I did catch a bizarre moment on Kijmi where John quoted some underscore from AOTC.
March of the Resistance, Jedi Steps, Canto Bight, also the music when it's revealed that Luke was Force projecting in TLJ...

I don't remember any new music from TROS though. Leia's theme was way overused in TROS.
Just listen to the soundtrack. There's plenty of new music and new thematic material.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
When Ben and Rey were standing side by side with their lightsabers near the end I was thinking "Yes! Here we go!", but then a second later "guess not".

This would have been the right moment to have a great scene to rival TLJ's throne room fight if they didn't just waste the Knights of Ren 2 mins earlier.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Have people talked about the Harrison Ford cameo? It felt like that was supposed to be Carrie Fisher, but her unfortunate passing made that impossible.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trying to remember who Finn says the "the force brought us together" line to ... was it Jannah? So he just tells some stranger he might five minutes ago but can't bring himself to tell his best friend. Why can't he tell her, does he think it will give her anxiety or something?
I think he said "The Force brought me here", unlike what he said in the trailer... There's one or two lines that are different from the trailers. If I recall correctly in the film Sheev says "This will be the final word in the rebellion!" whereas in the trailer it was "This will be the final word in the ssssstory of Ssssskywalker!"

Status
Not open for further replies.