• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 4, 2018
Hux's storyline feels like a punchy and more concise evolution of his TLJ arc. I feel like JJ's handling of him got all the laughs Rian was looking for.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
The worst line in the movie IMO was Luke saying "I was wrong". Felt like it was pandering towards people who hated TLJ. Also I actively recoiled when Ben and Rey kissed.

I don't know what to make of this or the lightsabre catch. "A Jedi's weapon deserves more respect". A charitable reading is that it's JJ trying to continue Luke's character arc from TLJ, where he actually does learn from his failure and realise that shutting himself away and ending the Jedi order was never the right idea. I think Rian would probably have had similar moments if he'd been the one to do Episode IX (though, in saying that, there's zero chance Rian would have taken Rey back to Ach To to become a hermit for all of three minutes. Fucking ludicrous :P).

But then looking at how badly JJ botched some of the other plot threads and characterisations, I could honestly believe that JJ didn't understand anything at all about TLJ and those lines are literally just him looking down the barrel of the camera and directly addressing his apologies to Reddit. That's exactly what the "We should do some Holdo manoeuvres" scene is.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The worst line in the movie IMO was Luke saying "I was wrong". Felt like it was pandering towards people who hated TLJ. Also I actively recoiled when Ben and Rey kissed.

I thought he basically said that at the end of TLJ, when he decided to project and gave his "everything you just said is wrong" thing. I used to always quote "the legacy of the Jedi is failure" and TLJ fans have told me I missed the point. So which is it??

Dec 12, 2017
What the fuck happened to Matt Smith? They made a HUGE deal about him being cast in this film.

Also, on that note, what was the point of the big deal made of Dominic Monaghan being in this film? He did nothing.

Cocksman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the end, the sequel trilogy was better executed and acted than the prequels . I consider that a victory.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
I watched TLJ last night, and found myself FF through every scenes that did not include Rey, Kylo, Luke and the lightspeed scene. I mean everything else is tough to rewatch.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
I didn't really have a problem with the entire new trilogy. Though, I'm not as attached to Star Wars as I was at a young age. Therefore I never really got into the side content that was the new post-disney canon. I pretty much only watched the new movies. The only question that I had that still wasn't answered in the movies is who found Luke/Anakin's lightsaber? Was this answered in the comics or something?
In a leaked shooting scedule, the Knights of Ren found it and then Maz stole it

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
Nah he threw it out and even worse basically made fun of the movie for some slapstick bs. Go back and watch TFA then TLJ, and it's like they were part of two separate trilogies. TFA is a nostalgic trip, TLJ was a "subversive" trip made by someone who wanted to be different just to "mix it up" despite it making almost no sense.

"Oh Rey is a nobody!" Lol the fuck she is. She is literally mentioned as being one of the rarest force users in the galaxy. How is that "a nobody"? Because of her parents? Please.

Anikins mom was a nobody too, so what?

Luke was a total waste in that movie. People keep saying he was going to inspire the galaxy. Lol how?! No one recorded that shot, most the galaxy had no idea of Jedi and sith, and again no one came to the call sent out by GENERAL Organa! The most well known rebel figure? No, Luke sacrificed himself to let the last 8 people of the rebellion run. That was it, the Rebels had lost, the First Order won.

TLJ was a mess which tried to subvert everything in TFA, and people spent years telling people it was fine because it was vision blah blah, but now that another director does the same thing to Rian's movie suddenly folks can't believe it. Gimme a break.

RotS is a sequel to TFA, TLJ was basically what happened when the kid who liked being contranian just to be one got to make a star wars movie.

I feel like I just got a glimpse inside Abrams' brain and I wish I hadn't.

Brickhunt

Feb 4, 2018
Brazil
I don't get why Rey can't be a nobody. Isn't Palatine a nobody to begin his story? Anakin''s mom isn't someone
Probably to try to justify why was she so powerful and have unique abilities compared to every other Jedi... Anakin's mom was a nobody..but he did get conceived without a father.

Thing is. There should be nothing really special about the Palpatine bloodline besides being an heir to the throne. Are we now supposed to think that Sheev was strong because of his bloodline and not his apprenticeship under Plagueis?

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't really have a problem with the entire new trilogy. Though, I'm not as attached to Star Wars as I was at a young age. Therefore I never really got into the side content that was the new post-disney canon. I pretty much only watched the new movies. The only question that I had that still wasn't answered in the movies is who found Luke/Anakin's lightsaber? Was this answered in the comics or something?
"That's a story for another time" Maz

Oct 28, 2017
I would hope that, even if they weren't listened to, some people within Lucasfilm challenged JJ on some of these terrible ideas. If they didn't then the story group is not fit for purpose. It's incredible that Lucasfilm allowed JJ to film this script, because it doesn't have any respect for the Star Wars films, but I refuse to believe that nobody within Lucasfilm was unhappy with it.

Then again it's incredible that they hired the guy who wrote BvS and Justice League to begin with. We should all have seen this coming.
I'll tell you what I think happened with the Finn force sensitive stuff. One of the early rumors about the plot was that Finn and Poe learn who Rey is by way of Lando. Somehow Lando knew who she really was. And what I think happened is the story was rewritten so that it's Ben who reveals the info to her. So the story was rejiggered so that Finn is force sensitive instead of having knowledge about Rey's parents.

Feb 4, 2018
JJ would've had a movie that pleased both those who hated and loved TLJ by not including the Rose "the general needs me to stay back" line and Luke catching the lightsaber bs.

Those two scenes made it very clear JJ wanted to troll RJ in the same way JJ felt trolled after watching TLJ.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
You know of all the force powers people use in these movies the one that is used the least and would probably be the most powerful in a fight is force speed. Why is no one using force speed?!

Oct 25, 2017
My wife and I loved this movie, and we also enjoy the prequels. Ben speaking with with Solo once again had us both in tears.

Yes, when you pick the movie apart, none of it makes sense - but the same is true of the original trilogy. Vader throwing the emperor down a shaft like fuckin Hulk Hogan is pretty stupid too, yet people hail it as "one of the best" bits of star wars.

Think about this one: When Kylo says he plans to finish what Vader started, he actually did exactly that by helping Rey defeat the emperor once and for all. This was all planned from the start you see!

The same is not true of the original trilogy. Those movies had characters who wanted things. They were then put in conflict with characters who wanted different things. Those conflicts created themes and those conflicts were resolved in a way that further developed those themes. In Rise of the Skywalker the things the characters want change constantly (sometimes because we find out that they and the audience have been lied to, sometimes it just sort of happens offscreen) and themes are just self-serious monologues that characters give in awkward closeup.

It's all surface, with nothing at its core, a film that relies on momentum to ape substance.

Oct 25, 2017
You were saying?

Made more sense then him telling her I love you.

This is what really hate about how they just gave Finn a Jedi role in this without anyone else acknowledging it or having any sort of payoff. If you wanted that from TFA then just put it in the damn film. TroS is they wanted it to be an apology for the bait and switch but it's just another slap in the face from LF. Fuck them for doing it.

They did Bill Weasley a major disservice in this movie. You spend two movies writing up Hux and in the third you're like, nah, we want Richard E Grant.
This was a problem from TLJ. They made Hux into a literal clown in that movie so there would be zero credibility in making a fearsome Admiral again. That finishing of secondary and tertiary conflicts in the second movie is something that hamstrung the finale. There was a building rivalry in TFA and the 1st half of TLJ where there was a sort of evil trio to go against the good guys trio. Poe was being a commander vs Hux as his foil, which would've been something new giving us a more tactician rivalry against leadership roles. Finn and Phasma as the slaver against the freed slave. Then Rey and Kylo as the main conflict. The climaxes of TLJ killed two of these and left Finn and Poe to be more aimless in their conclusion arcs.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I don't get why Rey can't be a nobody. Isn't Palatine a nobody to begin his story? Anakin''s mom isn't someone

I read a Spider-Man comic arc by Straczynski where it's revealed that the spider that bit Peter Parker was intentional and by the command of a spider god or some stupid shit. I hate when writers do that, it blows my mind how they don't get that a regular human being drawn into an unexpected adventure is so much more compelling than "it was fated to be" bullshit.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
I'm a child of the 70s. Star Wars wasn't just a part of my childhood. Like many kids my age, Star War WAS our childhood.

I feel like I'm done with Star Wars now. But my kids loved TROS. And I guess it's better that way around.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did they imply Lando is Jannah's father??

Also, who the fuck is Sheev's child and why weren't they strong with the Force? Feels like there's a whole story here remaining to be told.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
JJ would've had a movie that pleased both those who hated and loved TLJ by not including the Rose "the general needs me to stay back" line and Luke catching the lightsaber bs.

Those two scenes made it very clear JJ wanted to troll RJ in the same way JJ felt trolled after watching TLJ.

That Luke scene was beyond awful, and likely what Mark H secretly wanted from TLJ. Which says it all, really.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
That was.... not good. The entire first 30 mins or so was really bad videogame action-adventure style wheel spinning. Like a lame Uncharted knock off in the Star Wars universe. All that crap going from planet to planet for nothing! Everything involving Palpatine was lame and stupid. All the new extra love interests introduced for Finn and Poe were ?????????????? and Finn's character arc from Ep7-9 is the most confusing wasted nonsense ever. Feel awful for the actor to be wasted like this.

What did I like? Rey and Ren worked. I think that's the only character dynamic that's consistent across all 3 films. Two lonely young people in a universe where the heroes have come and gone, and now they try to understand their place in it and forge an identity in all the chaos and confusion they have within themselves.

Everything else was super mediocre and unimaginative. Abrams can do better. It didn't even feel like he tried very hard here.

Oct 28, 2017
This is what really hate about how they just gave Finn a Jedi role in this without anyone else acknowledging it or having any sort of payoff. If you wanted that from TFA then just put it in the damn film. TroS is they wanted it to be an apology for the bait and switch but it's just another slap in the face from LF. Fuck them for doing it.

This was a problem from TLJ. They made Hux into a literal clown in that movie so there would be zero credibility in making a fearsome Admiral again. That finishing of secondary and tertiary conflicts in the second movie is something that hamstrung the finale. There was a building rivalry in TFA and the 1st half of TLJ where there was a sort of evil trio to go against the good guys trio. Poe was being a commander vs Hux as his foil, which would've been something new giving us a more tactician rivalry against leadership roles. Finn and Phasma as the slaver against the freed slave. Then Rey and Kylo as the main conflict. The climaxes of TLJ killed two of these and left Finn and Poe to be more aimless in their conclusion arcs.
Total bullshit. That tactician rivalry literally plays out in the climax with Hux wanting to advance but Kylo needed to stop everything to face Luke which lost them the battle. Hux's final stare at Kylo perfectly sets up a more intense rivalry going forward.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

I disagree on the lightsaber catch. I think that matches his character arc in TLJ and was one of the nicer nods to it. This film doesn't disregard everything from TLJ, but it does with a lot of its major theme and plot points.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they really wanted to tie this into the prequels, it would have made more sense for Rey to have been a miracle birth with no father. I mean Anakin is implied to be a creation of Palpatine, but now you're telling me sheev's dna creates a more powerful force being than the midichlorians

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I wanna read his script. It's hard to imagine it being much worse

I believe he and his writing partner wrote at least two drafts. One with Leia, before Carrie died, and one afterward without her. I'd love to read either just to see what he did with it. But I want to read every early Star Wars script lol. I'm still hoping for Michael Arndt's work-in-progress draft to be released/leaked.

What the fuck happened to Matt Smith? They made a HUGE deal about him being cast in this film.

Also, on that note, what was the point of the big deal made of Dominic Monaghan being in this film? He did nothing.

The rumors I've been reading say that Matt Smith was on the set and may have filmed stuff, but it didn't make the movie.

Oct 28, 2017
Did they imply Lando is Jannah's father??

Also, who the fuck is Sheev's child and why weren't they strong with the Force? Feels like there's a whole story here remaining to be told.
Yes, it was cut from the movie. In the plot leaks there is a scene where Lando tells them the First Order targeted the children of heroes of the Rebellion and his daughter was taken from him when he was off on a mission with Luke.

Oct 25, 2017
Total bullshit. That tactician rivalry literally plays out in the climax with Hux wanting to advance but Kylo needed to stop everything to face Luke which lost them the battle. Hux's final stare at Kylo perfectly sets up a more intense rivalry going forward.
Rivalry? The part where Hux is literally yelling out Kylo orders next to him? Then gets thrown to the side once it annoys Kylo?

And you misread what I wrote, having the foil between Poe and Hux and commanders on the battle field. Which would be something not explored in the movies.

TriniTrin

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
When They said "emperor palpatine has been pulling the strings the whole time", I half expected them to look at the camera directly and say it. The first 30 min were bad.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I believe he and his writing partner wrote at least two drafts. One with Leia, before Carrie died, and one afterward without her. I'd love to read either just to see what he did with it. But I want to read every early Star Wars script lol. I'm still hoping for Michael Arndt's work-in-progress draft to be released/leaked.

The rumors I've been reading say that Matt Smith was on the set and may have filmed stuff, but it didn't make the movie.
With Arndt, you're talking about his script for TFA right?

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it was cut from the movie. In the plot leaks there is a scene where Lando tells them the First Order targeted the children of heroes of the Rebellion and his daughter was taken from him when he was off on a mission with Luke.

Probably that mission where Luke conveniently doesn't tell people that Palpatine is around and kicking.

Oct 28, 2017
Rivalry? The part where Hux is literally yelling out Kylo orders next to him? Then gets thrown to the side once it annoys Kylo?
Uhh yea? Even though he was subordinate to him he was obviously going to try to undercut his power and the fact that Kylo got clowned on so spectacularly in front of his troops would just give them more confidence in Hux instead of him as tactical leader.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
If they really wanted to tie this into the prequels, it would have made more sense for Rey to have been a miracle birth with no father. I mean Anakin is implied to be a creation of Palpatine, but now you're telling me sheev's dna creates a more powerful force being than the midichlorians
That's actually what I thought they were going to do. Not that Rey would have been born from an immaculate birth, but that she would have been no one, just a vessel of the Force with the power to challenge a new threat and right the wrongs in the galaxy. Ben was the connection to the Solo and Skywalker line, and his redemption arc could have been him rebuilding the Jedi and creating a new temple to train them, instead of whatever we got in this film - it certainly wasn't a redemption. Ben being a connection to the past, and Rey a connection to the future stories of the franchise. A new start.

Oct 28, 2017
Why do this to yourself ha

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
There are a lot of things I enjoyed about the movie. All of the Rey/Kylo stuff was good. I liked everything they did with Kylo's arc especially the scene with Harrison Ford. Having Rey, Finn, and Poe together for almost the whole movie was fun. They handled Carrie Fisher's passing well and were able to make her scenes meaningful. Really enjoyed all of the new characters with Babu Frick being my favorite.

BUuuuuuut having Rey be a Plapatine is really a terrible creative decision and in a lot of ways ruins her character and lessens sequel trilogy as a whole. It would be so much more impactful if Rey from nowhere mastered the force, defeated the evil, became a Jedi, and then took the Skywalker name in honor of Luke and Leia. By making her Palpatine in the last movie it makes the narrative so small. It keeps the notion of the Force just being a thing for this handful of people. Everything around her parentage reveal misses big for me and felt like pandering.

Overall at this point I would put it as the weakest of the Disney movies, but it is still miles better than the prequels. I hope we get more Rey stories in movie or tv form, because Daisy Ridley was great in this movie (her screaming chewie broke my heart).

Status
Not open for further replies.