• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
It really, really doesn't.

I think the end of TFA made it very clear a romantic relationship was never in the cards for those two. At least for me it was. and the hug at the end of TLJ was completely friendly. Like even at the end of TRoS he goes in for the hug. He doesn't show any interest in her romantically.

Just because we have a male and female character being friendly with each other doesn't mean they want each other romantically. And beyond the "cute boyfriend'" line at the end of the first act of TFA I never got the idea they would ever be romantically involved. Just two best friends caring for each other.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
They literally did, just not to her. "How do you know?" "I can feel it" (or something along those lines). It's weird seeing people say that the question was unanswered when it literally was in the same movie.

How the fuck are you suppose to link that line to his big secret that he's only willing to talk about when he thinks they are about to die? If JJ had not said that was his secret you could not.

IcyInferno

Oct 26, 2017
How is The Last Jedi a reboot of Empire?
Well not an exact reboot but some similar scenes and themes. The First Order knows the location of the resistance base so the resistance has to run from them and mount a defense against them on Crait similar to Hoth. Rey is on her solo quest training with a Jedi master like Luke did with Yoda. Kylo tells Rey her the truth about her parents like Vader telling Luke and wants her to join him to rule the galaxy. it did mix in some scenes from ANH and RotJ as well like Luke telling Kylo about striking him down, the throne room being similar to the throne room in Jedi.

TLJ introduces some new themes though of failure and learning from failure especially with Luke at the end with him facing down the entire first order with a laser sword.. which is probably my favorite scene from TLJ. And it ended a bit different by not having a cliffhanger but rather some hope that Luke inspired everyone to rise against the first order.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
They literally did, just not to her. "How do you know?" "I can feel it" (or something along those lines). It's weird seeing people say that the question was unanswered when it literally was in the same movie.
So the other rebel storm troopers were force sensitive as well cause they also had the feeling?

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
He wants to tell Rey just before they die, doesn't want to tell Poe, but tells random person they just met?

Anjoys

Avenger
Nov 10, 2017
I'm still hung up on the fact that Rey is Sheev's granddaughter...The Emperor fucks, that shit is hilarious.

El Toporo

Oct 25, 2017
It would have been more obvious if the movie had removed all doubt about his feelings, e.g. by not sidelining Rose for the entire movie.
Maybe then I would buy it. As is, I don't.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017

The movie isn't particularly subtle and for some reason they decided to be slightly subtle here. But the movie is so fast paced that if your mind wonders for a second there's a good chance you miss something relevant to a character arc or plot line. This is a no bathroom break film for sure.

Also, I'm not sure if the average moviegoer is going to think that what's going on in this scene is a 2 way street. Force users can subject others to the Force. They even lampshade it in the film when Poe jokes with Finn about Rey using the Jedi mind trick on them. Especially considering Rey never acknowledges her contact with Finn. Like would it have tipped the running time scales too much if Rey said to Finn something like "Tonight we celebrate but tomorrow you begin your training"?

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
The worst line in the movie IMO was Luke saying "I was wrong". Felt like it was pandering towards people who hated TLJ. Also I actively recoiled when Ben and Rey kissed.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
I don't get why Rey can't be a nobody. Isn't Palatine a nobody to begin his story? Anakin''s mom isn't someone

ckareset

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
The worst line in the movie IMO was Luke saying "I was wrong". Felt like it was pandering towards people who hated TLJ. Also I actively recoiled when Ben and Rey kissed.
Why do people keep saying this, at the end of TLJ Luke realizes he was wrong. That was a key part of his growth

Deleted member 36186

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 14, 2017
No one was written anywhere near as thoughtfully or cleverly as in The Last Jedi.

I haven't seen the movie yet (nor will I after reading several impressions and realising from the spoilers that JJ wasn't able to save the trilogy), but what you said can only be a good thing in my book.

I really think TLJ is one of the worst written movies I've ever seen, plot and character wise. It's just absolutely cringe worthy.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
He basically admited he was wrong at the end of TLJ though. As he did pretty much what he jokingly said Rey expected him to do "show up and stand against the might of the first order alone".

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, I just see this as internet wish fulfillment but is not at all consistent with the actual characters and their motivations. Finn wasn't into Poe in the slightest romantically and having him then decide to be with Poe because Rey isn't interested, as you suggested...uh...yeah. Doesn't work.

It's why Rey and Kylo kissing landed with a thud for me. I didn't believe their romance at all because they didn't actually have one. The writers just wrote the ending and that was that. 😐

Also, the only person they legitimately tried pairing Finn up with was Rose (which once again, was one sided). I didn't see romantic chemistry between him and Jannah at all.

I didn't mean literally "Well Poe's here, might as well fuck him", lol. Obviously they'd have to develop it in this movie, but I'm just saying it wouldn't have taken much to turn Finn and Poe's already stellar chemistry romantic, and the opportunity was there. Compared to what JJ actually did, having a third movie in a row where Finn pines over Rey unrequited, and where Poe just has an ex-girlfriend pop out of the woodwork, developing Finn/Poe would have been a nice alternative.

As someone who didn't read the leaks, here's how the odd Lando scene looked to me:

Lando walks over to Jannah.
J: "Hi, do I know you?"
L: "No, but we're both black so let's huddle. Fin will be along shortly."
J: "What about the lady on the imperial ship?"
L: "Nah, she dead."
J: "Figures."

lmao 'Finn will be along shortly" got me :P

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Why do people keep saying this, at the end of TLJ Luke realizes he was wrong. That was a key part of his growth
He basically admited he was wrong at the end of TLJ though. As he did pretty much what he jokingly said Rey expected him to do "show up and stand against the might of the first order alone".

Yeah you're right, I don't have a problem with Luke's character in that regard. Just almost felt like that line was addressing a certain segment of the audience and I kinda had a visceral reaction to it. I'll admit it's largely me projecting though.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
"No one recorded that shot." Are you fucking kidding me? So rather than suspend disbelief that the story spread and inspired people because that's what stories do (like Star Wars, HMMMMM), you're gonna bitch about the means of that story spreading?

This is why we got this overstuffed, oveexplainy mess that prioritizes Showing and Explaining Stuff over doing something meaningful and affecting with it's characters
Lol the entire point of the first two movies in this trilogy was that most people thought of the original stuff as "fake" and "just stories". It didn't inspire anyone. Or are you forgetting Rey and Finn being completely shocked when Han told them it was real? So how would this even lesser known event inspire people? You're just projecting what you wanted to happen.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Random thoughts

Hux should have been alive and was able to engineer a situation or got lucky and took advantage of a situation where Kylo ended up abandoned and left for dead and Kylo being alone for a while

Mostly because Spy Hux >>>>> random Tarkin ripoff

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
Lol the entire point of the first two movies in this trilogy was that most people thought of the original stuff as "fake" and "just stories". It didn't inspire anyone. Or are you forgetting Rey and Finn being completely shocked when Han told them it was real? So how would this even lesser known event inspire people? You're just projecting what you wanted to happen.

Three little slave kids on Canto Blight were LITERALLY discussing it, and acting it out with random pieces scrap.It was literally the last scene of The Last Jedi. With a little boy so inspired he uses the force and stares at the sky to show even the most oppressed people in the galaxy have found hope through what Luke did.

Jesus Christ, guys... it helps to actually watch the films before you come into these threads.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017

Why do you think TLJ ends with the children on Canto Bight reenacting Luke Skywalker's final stand with matchstick toys if the story never got out and nobody was inspired?

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I haven't seen the movie yet (nor will I after reading several impressions and realising from the spoilers that JJ wasn't able to save the trilogy), but what you said can only be a good thing in my book.

I really think TLJ is one of the worst written movies I've ever seen, plot and character wise. It's just absolutely cringe worthy.

If you thought TLJ was bad then TROS will be one of the worst movies you've ever seen. Nothing makes sense. It's just JJ Abrams playing with his action figures for 2 hours until the movie ends.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I think that line is fine, he realized that during TLJ, not ROS. The kiss is fucked up though, and sends a terrible message.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have just seen the film.

JJ doesn't realise that 10,000 Star Destroyers are not as imposing as that one single Star Destroyer in New Hope. You can make the stakes and threats so big that they no longer matter and just become silly. And that goes for the whole film really. Who fed all those crews, and Palpatine's audience of hooded goons? None of that stuff made a damn lick of sense.
Fucking nailed it. The moment they emerged I was bored by the absurdity of it all, and that was 7 minutes in!

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
Why would Finn be nervous about telling Rey he's Force-sensitive? That doesn't make any sense. How could that possibly go badly? There are two other Force-sensitives in the Resistance and they're both revered. Leia is the head of the organization and Rey is their "best fighter," per Poe. And it's not like he's nervous about leadership. He's thrilled when Poe names him a General later in the movie.

after this movie, someone has to explain what Pablo Hidalgo and the Lucasfilm Story Group actually do. Because I thought I knew what their point was but it seems that I do not.

They assist storytellers to make their products as high quality as possible and try to maintain a consistent canon. For instance, if writer A kills off character 1 and writer B has character 1 alive after that the story group tries to work that out. My understanding is that they don't really have veto power over anything. The writer or writers are the final arbiters.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
I loved TLJ and feel the same way as you about this, at least on an initial viewing. Scenes in the 1st have moved at a brisk enough pace that we got to explore a variety of places while never being on one place too long, and I really enjoyed that. Sure, maybe it didn't have a ton of exposition, but we have TLJ for exposition. This one is for cool space battles, scenery, and closure.

I'd genuinely like to know - did you feel like the space battles in this film were anywhere near as good as the finale of Rogue One, the bombing run in TLJ or either of the Death Star attacks? I felt very little tension or emotion during the final battle, and it wasn't even filmed in an interesting way. I just kept wishing they'd go back to Rey, Ben and Sheev.
The moment when the huge fleet showed up was pretty cool though.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually glad they didn't. The end fight was DBZ enough with final forms and spirit enegry and shit. Jedi ghost showing up and helping Rey would of been full DBZ.....You never go full DBZ.

Imagine if Goku Leia and Luke ghosts were behind Gohan Rey while she was fighting Cell Palpatine. She is about to lose until Vegeta Ben Solo appears behind Cell Palpatine, distracts him for a second, and then Goku Han and Leia shout NOW GOHAN REY and wins

Oct 27, 2017
this being JJ, I almost expected that when Rey said she was a Skywalker the woman she was with responded with a "just like a son I had!" Thats how pandering I found this movie
I was worried that lady was Someone Important too haha!
I think that line is fine, he realized that during TLJ, not ROS. The kiss is fucked up though, and sends a terrible message.
My audience howled at them kissing and then double-howled at Ben immediately ghosting after.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017

Like someone else mentioned, I think something like him putting his hand on her face would've felt much more appropriate.
Sorry I'm spamming this thread y'all, after sleeping on the movie last night I feel like getting all my thoughts out.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Random thoughts

Hux should have been alive and was able to engineer a situation or got lucky and took advantage of a situation where Kylo ended up abandoned and left for dead and Kylo being alone for a while

Mostly because Spy Hux >>>>> random Tarkin ripoff

They did Bill Weasley a major disservice in this movie. You spend two movies writing up Hux and in the third you're like, nah, we want Richard E Grant.

This line saves SW for me. I was really doubting if I had any love left after TLJ.

He needs to tell you that specifically but you couldn't tell from his actions at the end of TLJ?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
The worst line in the movie IMO was Luke saying "I was wrong". Felt like it was pandering towards people who hated TLJ.
This line saves SW for me. I was really doubting if I had any love left after TLJ.
Your response proves his point lol

They did Bill Weasley a major disservice in this movie. You spend two movies writing up Hux and in the third you're like, nah, we want Richard E Grant.
To be fair, Hux always felt like a character who was just waiting for him moment to be offed in a hilarious fashion. I don't know how the audience was supposed to take him, but at no point was he ever threatening in any way. From scene one, he was pretty bumbling.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
I was describing this as the Jive Bunny of Star Wars to someone, but it's actually the "Mind The Oranges, Marlon" of the movies.

Would Trevorrow have made a worse movie?

ckareset

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Yeah you're right, I don't have a problem with Luke's character in that regard. Just almost felt like that line was addressing a certain segment of the audience and I kinda had a visceral reaction to it. I'll admit it's largely me projecting though.
When they first meet he throws it, when they meet again he catches it. Even Rian would have done something similar.

I don't think you have to force everything to be a vs. The obvious stuff is already there

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Why would Finn be nervous about telling Rey he's Force-sensitive? That doesn't make any sense. How could that possibly go badly? There are two other Force-sensitives in the Resistance and they're both revered. Leia is the head of the organization and Rey is their "best fighter," per Poe. And it's not like he's nervous about leadership. He's thrilled when Poe names him a General later in the movie.

They assist storytellers to make their products as high quality as possible and try to maintain a consistent canon. For instance, if writer A kills off character 1 and writer B has character 1 alive after that the story group tries to work that out. My understanding is that they don't really have veto power over anything. The writer or writers are the final arbiters.

I would hope that, even if they weren't listened to, some people within Lucasfilm challenged JJ on some of these terrible ideas. If they didn't then the story group is not fit for purpose. It's incredible that Lucasfilm allowed JJ to film this script, because it doesn't have any respect for the Star Wars films, but I refuse to believe that nobody within Lucasfilm was unhappy with it.

Then again it's incredible that they hired the guy who wrote BvS and Justice League to begin with. We should all have seen this coming.

CelticKennedy

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2019
I didn't really have a problem with the entire new trilogy. Though, I'm not as attached to Star Wars as I was at a young age. Therefore I never really got into the side content that was the new post-disney canon. I pretty much only watched the new movies. The only question that I had that still wasn't answered in the movies is who found Luke/Anakin's lightsaber? Was this answered in the comics or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.