• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
But thats literally Rey's arc in RoS. So much so that Luke tells Rey that some things are stronger than blood ties, and when asked at the end of the movie what Rey's last name is (admittedly clunkily), she realises that it isn't biology that defines her and she chooses to be A skywalker because they are the ones that raised her and made her who she is.
She doesn't so much choose to be a skywalker or whatever so much as everyone who meets her tries to tell her who she really is. And it turns out Luke and so on, who see her actual soul, is right, she's lightside so Palpatine didn't have a chance.

It's really stupid because the conflict here supposes because she has palpatine blood, she's predestined towards the lightside, but her soul is actually good, so she's actually predestined toward the light side.

At no point is she presented a choice as in "I do this because this is what I want to do", she just keeps acting according to her inner nature and the debate is whether it's because of bloodline or soul and it turns out it's soul.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Not quite. I might have this wrong, but I recall that her Palpatine blood is used to explain her accidental Force lightning (like that ability is hereditary, lol), and her attraction to the Dark Side.

Count Dooku uses force lightning but JJ doesn't like the prequels and Pablo Hidalgo seems to be asleep at the wheel so you're probably right.

or maybe they'll just end up telling us that Dooku and Palpatine are brothers.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
But thats literally Rey's arc in RoS. So much so that Luke tells Rey that some things are stronger than blood ties, and when asked at the end of the movie what Rey's last name is (admittedly clunkily), she realises that it isn't biology that defines her and she chooses to be A skywalker because they are the ones that raised her and made her who she is.

Except that falls down by the fact she 'chooses' to be a Skywalker because this massive universe comes down to one family. The whole point was that by being nobody, the Star Wars universe can move forward and tell stories that don't need to constantly call back to the original trilogy or tie itself up in trying to satisfy self imposed rules.

It was a cheap setup that didn't have any emotional weight because of how late and hamfisted it was.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I still don't get the Chewie thing.

Dude has always been portrayed as capable. But he randomly walks away from their ship. Then offscreen he's captured, and when we next see him he's been held captive and is putting up no attempts to get away. Dude has always hated handcuffs. Then he clearly gets on the ship that's blown up, and Rey et al mourn him. Then we're shown he's alive minutes later, but they're all still mourning him. Then they find out he's alive and was on a second, unseen on screen unto then ship.

Like what the fuck? Who edited that shite? You don't undo a fake out before the characters know it was a fake out. Shit, reveal Chewie is alive at the end and have THAT be what snaps Rey out of It and fuck up Palpatine.
Yeah, Chewie becomes magically compliant when it's convenient for the plot. At least make some noise! That shock prod wouldn't be enough to shut up a wilful wookie.

You'd think Rey would sense his presence when he's so close, and realize he didn't die in the wreck.

Normally I'm not one for poking at plot holes, but this example is typical of the whole movie's carelessness. The characters are simply passive objects shuffled into their predetermined places. For the most part.

Hot Priest

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 11, 2019
Except that falls down by the fact she 'chooses' to be a Skywalker because this massive universe comes down to one family. The whole point was that by being nobody, the Star Wars universe can move forward and tell stories that don't need to constantly call back to the original trilogy or tie itself up in trying to satisfy self imposed rules.

It was a cheap setup that didn't have any emotional weight because of how late and hamfisted it was.

exactly

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have a problem with the kiss at all, there was plenty of sexual tension scenes between them before that.

BUT...

through Star Wars logic and because there will be a need for a fourth trilogy I bet that Rey just got force pregnant with that kiss, and is going to have a skywalker baby!

LOL. This thought has crossed my mind... Tiny ReyBen grows.

Last edited:

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It will be great in 20 years when is revealed that Palpatine actually didn't die in as up to Han Skywalker Palpatine to save the galaxy.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
I still don't get the Chewie thing.

Dude has always been portrayed as capable. But he randomly walks away from their ship. Then offscreen he's captured, and when we next see him he's been held captive and is putting up no attempts to get away. Dude has always hated handcuffs. Then he clearly gets on the ship that's blown up, and Rey et al mourn him. Then we're shown he's alive minutes later, but they're all still mourning him. Then they find out he's alive and was on a second, unseen on screen unto then ship.

look..., this movie has a lot to cover thanks to TLJ.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
just some woman. who immediately vanished so Rey could go stand by the suns.
...that ending was clunky as hell.

Hopefully the Blu-ray version has a shot of that woman walking off into the distance so we can get some confirmation that she didn't just vanish. I joke, of course.

I thought it was a great ending, just maybe in the wrong place. I'm not quite sure why the sabers had to be buried there, but I did enjoy the sunset part.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Count Dooku uses force lightning but JJ doesn't like the prequels and Pablo Hidalgo seems to be asleep at the wheel so you're probably right.
Yeah, and Palpatine seemed convinced that Rey was the perfect dark vessel for his soul transfer, as though her bloodline made her naturally strong with the Dark Side, despite her being the Light Side counterbalance to Kylo's growing strength. Unless I'm misremembering this plot point, it's exactly the type of narrow determinism that TLJ tried to pull the series away from.

More wasted potential. Too bad.

or maybe they'll just end up telling us that Dooku and Palpatine are brothers.
Lol, I wouldn't be surprised.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I think they should have Finn she he loves Rey, but he realises Rey doesn't love him and he overcomes that he projects onto her, because she's the first woman he met when he left the first order, and he matures as a character and their friendship becomes stronger. Something similar with Rose fancying Finn where her attraction wasn't just sexual.

I know it's Star Wars but if you're going to have these awkward crushes, have some resolutions. I prefer more character development over bringing Palpatine back, who wasn't as enigmatic as he was in the original, or as charming as he was in the prequels.

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
Not quite. I might have this wrong, but I recall that her Palpatine blood is used to explain her accidental Force lightning (like that ability is hereditary, lol), and her attraction to the Dark Side. She was much more interesting as a Force sensitive nobody who carved her own path.

Plus, linking her to one of Star Wars' select few special families was a cop-out. It shrinks the story instead of expanding it.

I think its much more interesting to have a background that she can choose to deny, and instead embrace a family and ideology of her choosing. If she is just someone left on a planet for no reason with no baggage at all, then there's not really much of a dramatic choice for her to choose from compared to the nature or nurture question.

People often say that having the family lines in star wars shrinks the galaxy, but thats what its always been about. It's a fairytale in space. It's when it tries to go beyond that and expand into things like galactic trade federations and clone wars and Jedi council meetings that it falls apart for me.

In this one its really locked down though and we see that basically the entire main character list can be tracked back to Naboo. Palpatine is Naboobian and he creates Anakin (apparently), anakin and Padme (naboobian) create Luke and Leia (at least half naboobian). Then there's Ren (half Naboobian) and now Rey (Naboobian from Palpatine). I just like saying Naboobian.

Next Rey will be force pregnant from a single kiss and will have another set of Noboobian twins to make another trilogy.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Am I the only one that thinks this scene makes the Leia Force pull in TLJ less silly cause now we know she had some Jedi training.
I didn't think it was silly in the first place. All the way back in the OT, Yoda considered her a viable alternate to Luke, in case he kicked the bucket in Cloud City.

She was Force sensitive enough to communicate with him telepathically. It's really not much of a leap to imagine that after 30 years (or whatever it is), she'd be able to pull herself out of trouble in a pinch. The first time I saw that scene, I thought it was a logical evolution for her character.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Framing Rey's conflict as a choice when it's basically just one side telling her to be an evil bastard while the other one is saying "No, don't do that, be a nice person" highlights how fucking asinine this movie is.

In TLJ, we had a conflict between Rey and Kylo Ren where Kylo Ren offered her a partnership, which she rejected. Except, you could see how this was tempting to her because she just got massively disillusioned about the legacy of Luke and Kylo is someone she's made a genuine empathetic connection with while she spent the entire movie alone with grumpy luke who was only a disappointment to her. Kylo Ren's hand, in that circumstance, was something actually tempting because he was offering to be her family, which she desperately wanted. And it's to her credit that she turned that away because she could see that Kylo Ren was still an unhealthy, unstable person who would abuse this power. And there's a lot going on Kylo Ren's front too, but just focusing on Rey....

What the fuck do we have in TRoS? "Granddaughter, take your place as empress palpatine" "What? I don't want a throne. I never did. I'm the Jon Snow in this franchise here." "Grand daughter, strike me down so I can turn into a spirit and take over your body so I can rule from within" "WHY WOULD I WANT TO DO THAT?!" "It's in your blooooood" Litearlly the only reason she even considers it is because she's afraid that Palpatine's forces will kill her friends, but this like this is a false choice since if she does kill him and he takes over, he'll kill or subjegate her friends anyway. And even if she didn't, it's not a choice with internal character drama, it's just "Do what I want or your friends die" coercive threat.

It's genuinely hard to process that anybody, critic of TLJ or not, would regard this as a situation on par with the one set up in the last Jedi. There's no choice here because Rey doesn't want any of this. She doesn't want to be evil, she doesn't want palpatine, she's just a matter of her being strong armed into acquissing to something she doesn't want under threat. Rey's just plainly a good girl whose being told she has to do a bad thing, and the resolution to that is she doesn't because the fleet ends up being able to take care of itself long enough for Rey to kill Palpatine. Her actual character, her wants and desires, they're almost irrelevant except for the fact that she doesn't want to be a fucking monster. And because she doesn't want to be a monster, all the Jedi basically bail her out of her crisis so she can kill palpatine without him taking over, and that's the end of the movie.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I hate how Rey mentions having a vision of seeing herself and Ben on the Sith throne but we never actually see that vision. Even George Lucas showed us Anakin's vision of Padme dying. I swear JJ doesn't know how to make a movie.

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
Honestly I think they should have Finn she he loves Rey, but he realises Rey doesn't love him and he overcomes that he projects onto her, because she's the first woman he met when he left the first order, and he matures as a character and their friendship becomes stronger. Something similar with Rose fancying Finn where her attraction wasn't just sexual.

I know it's Star Wars but if you're going to have these awkward crushes, have some resolutions. I prefer more character development over bringing Palpatine back, who wasn't as enigmatic as he was in the original, or as charming as he was in the prequels.
It wasn't a crush. Finn wanted to tell Rey that he was force sensitive. If you notice, over the rest of the movie he justifies some of his actions because he has a feeling-- that's when he's using the force to figure out what to do.

Awesome Wells

Dec 3, 2017
Second viewing today with the kids.

Actually enjoyed watching it again, once I'd checked out. First post I made on this went straight into what I didn't like, so here's some more positives.

The Ben and Han scene is excellent, from the framing to the acting. Absolutely the best thing about this film.
This is Threepio's best movie. He's charming, funny and warm and a lot less bumbling.
The music when Lando arrives with every ship in the galaxy. Spinetingling (although the moment is then ruined once you see just how many ships have arrived).
Ben's shrug.
Little alien robot repair man.
Saber duel on the Death Star.
Binary sunset.
The score is brilliant.
Luke and Leia training, and re-uniting at the end.

Still hated the same things from the first screening.

The way it goes from "Kill the girl" at the beginning and middle to "Girl, kill me" for...I dunno....reasons?
As far as I can tell, hyperspace is now instantaneous travel from one point to another.
Rey's family reveal. It's horrible.
Everyone dying and then coming back to life. And then maybe dying again. Rey, Chewie, Ben, Palpatine, Leia (although I know that's from a previous movie). If only someone had told Anakin about this healing business back in the day....
"The plan is the most important thing" but then "Let's abandon the plan to save Chewie for....reasons?"
Death Star Star Destroyers
The Charge of the Light Brigade
Literally everything Dominic Monaghan does

What a disappointing end to the trilogy and the saga. Still a fun popcorn movie.

Last edited:

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I so wish when the old lady asked Rey who she is she said

"Rey, Just Rey"

This is what it had to be! This is the logical conclusion of this whole thing. She used to think of herself as "just Rey" like she was missing something. A representation of her greatest flaw; she feels she needs to be someone, she needs someone to tell her who she is, what she's destined for. Then over the course of the trilogy she comes to realise that she isn't destined to be anything, she's her own person, she decides her story, she decides her place in the universe. You bookend the final movie with "Just Rey" and this time it's a representation of everything she's learnt, the culmination of her entire arc. She's turned her weakness into her strength. She's just Rey.

No instead she has to be Rey Skywalker because something something Skywalker saga it's like poetry.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Framing Rey's conflict as a choice when it's basically just one side telling her to be an evil bastard while the other one is saying "No, don't do that, be a nice person" highlights how fucking asinine this movie is.

In TLJ, we had a conflict between Rey and Kylo Ren where Kylo Ren offered her a partnership, which she rejected. Except, you could see how this was tempting to her because she just got massively disillusioned about the legacy of Luke and Kylo is someone she's made a genuine empathetic connection with while she spent the entire movie alone with grumpy luke who was only a disappointment to her. Kylo Ren's hand, in that circumstance, was something actually tempting because he was offering to be her family, which she desperately wanted. And it's to her credit that she turned that away because she could see that Kylo Ren was still an unhealthy, unstable person who would abuse this power. And there's a lot going on Kylo Ren's front too, but just focusing on Rey....

What the fuck do we have in TRoS? "Granddaughter, take your place as empress palpatine" "What? I don't want a throne. I never did. I'm the Jon Snow in this franchise here." "Grand daughter, strike me down so I can turn into a spirit and take over your body so I can rule from within" "WHY WOULD I WANT TO DO THAT?!" "It's in your blooooood" Litearlly the only reason she even considers it is because she's afraid that Palpatine's forces will kill her friends, but this like this is a false choice since if she does kill him and he takes over, he'll kill or subjegate her friends anyway. And even if she didn't, it's not a choice with internal character drama, it's just "Do what I want or your friends die" coercive threat.

It's genuinely hard to process that anybody, critic of TLJ or not, would regard this as a situation on par with the one set up in the last Jedi. There's no choice here because Rey doesn't want any of this. She doesn't want to be evil, she doesn't want palpatine, she's just a matter of her being strong armed into acquissing to something she doesn't want under threat. Rey's just plainly a good girl whose being told she has to do a bad thing, and the resolution to that is she doesn't because the fleet ends up being able to take care of itself long enough for Rey to kill Palpatine. Her actual character, her wants and desires, they're almost irrelevant except for the fact that she doesn't want to be a fucking monster. And because she doesn't want to be a monster, all the Jedi basically bail her out of her crisis so she can kill palpatine without him taking over, and that's the end of the movie.
Yes, you've nailed it.

Nastrodamous

Oct 28, 2017
Man I really wanted know what Sheev game was like was he like "sup ma, Sheev here dictator extraordinare, you trying to get this or not?" or was my guy more shave take them to his vacation him and put on the moves. I want to know how Sheev was slanging the d.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't a crush. Finn wanted to tell Rey that he was force sensitive. If you notice, over the rest of the movie he justifies some of his actions because he has a feeling-- that's when he's using the force to figure out what to do.
That's a good point, but he definitely had a crush, and you're meant to think that and even Han could tell he had feelings for her, and it goes nowhere.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017

then why was it such a secret? he thinks they're dying and says he needs to tell her something. when they don't die, he says nevermind. he refuses to tell Poe throughout the movie. he's constantly worried about and chasing after Rey throughout the movie.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How can you be so certain when it's clearly framed in a way that Finn wants to confess his love?

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
This is what it had to be! This is the logical conclusion of this whole thing. She used to think of herself as "just Rey" like she was missing something. A representation of her greatest flaw; she feels she needs to be someone, she needs someone to tell her who she is, what she's destined for. Then over the course of the trilogy she comes to realise that she isn't destined to be anything, she's her own person, she decides her story, she decides her place in the universe. You bookend the final movie with "Just Rey" and this time it's a representation of everything she's learnt, the culmination of her entire arc. She's turned her weakness into her strength. She's just Rey.

No instead she has to be Rey Skywalker because something something Skywalker saga it's like poetry.
OK, I'm kind of sold on this.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
While Finn was learning and reflecting on being force sensitive, I don't think that is what he wanted to tell Rey. It seemed like he wanted to confess his feelings, and was a plot thread through the three films. He wouldn't say "Hey Rey, I'm force sensitive" moments before they were sucked into the sand thinking they were likely dead. He would have told her he loved her, in what he thought were possibly their final moments together.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I get your point but this comparison is just so weird. Considering you see Didact die in Halo 4, and then they bring him back in the comics and kill him again 3-4 comics later. So if you only play the games the Didact is still dead and you don't need to have read the books to follow that.

Well I always assumed his Epilogue speech: https://halo.fandom.com/wiki/Epilogue_(Halo_4)

To mean he is still out there in a sense.

No-one's ever really gone.

Aug 26, 2019

This would have been a semi-decent ending

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I haven't seen this movie yet but it bugs me. How is palpatine back again? I thought he was dead. Can someone explain?

You know what the best part about the whole Palpatine thing is ? The movie doesn't even set it up. It's not a big mystery looming while the characters piece together that Palpatine is real or that he survived after all. It's straight up "He's back!" (Not in those exact words) in the opening crawl. That's the kind of movie this is.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017

Yup, there's no "temptation" here. They're not pulling her over to the dark side, not seducing her with false promises of power she might desire.

Are we really meant to be afraid of her being like "... well, i guess i gotta accept that i'm a palpatine and that makes me evil. bummer."

Neither is there any threat of her giving into her anger, her hate, her rage. They're trying to portray her as being angry at Palpatine for killing her parents (the scene with Finn 'i'm gonna destroy palpatine, he killed my parents' - 'that doesn't sound like you.' - 'people always say they know me')
But she never really knew her parents, for a long while she (possibly) believed they really just abandoned her, she just learnt of her parents' sacrifice and fate.
Meanwhile, she did find a mentor / father figure in Han Solo, whom Kylo Ren killed; Luke, who sacrificed himself to defend the resistance against Kylo; and a motherly figure / Jedi Master in Leia, who sacrificed herself to stop Kylo. Every death of a person close to her in this movies is (almost) directly caused by Kylo Ren. Not Palpatine.
So if they ever wanted to do the whole "strike me down with all of your hatred" thing, it should have been Kylo that dared her to. But that'd have been a wholly different script ...

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
then why was it such a secret? he thinks they're dying and says he needs to tell her something. when they don't die, he says nevermind. he refuses to tell Poe throughout the movie. he's constantly worried about and chasing after Rey throughout the movie.
He refuses to tell Poe because Poe doesn't believe in Jedi mumbo jumbo. Earlier in the movie Poe gets mad at Rey for training if you recall.

Mar 26, 2018
Second viewing today with the kids.

Actually enjoyed watching it again, once I'd checked out. First post I made on this went straight into what I didn't like, so here's some more positives.

The Ben and Han scene is excellent, from the framing to the acting. Absolutely the best thing about this film.
This is Threepio's best movie. He's charming, funny and warm and a lot less bumbling.
The music when Lando arrives with every ship in the galaxy. Spinetingling (although the moment is then ruined once you see just how many ships have arrived).
Ben's shrug.
Little alien robot repair man.
Saber duel on the Death Star.
Binary sunset.
The score is brilliant.
Luke and Leia training, and re-uniting at the end.

Still hated the same things from the first screening.

The way it goes from "Kill the girl" at the beginning and middle to "Girl, kill me" for...I dunno....reasons?
As far as I can tell, hyperspace is now instantaneous travel from one point to another.
Rey's family reveal. It's horrible.
Everyone dying and then coming back to life. And then maybe dying again. Rey, Chewie, Ben, Palpatine, Leia (although I know that's from a previous movie). If only someone had told Anakin about this healing business back in the day....
"The plan is the most important thing" but then "Let's abandon the plan to save Chewie for....reasons?"
Death Star Star Destroyers
The Charge of the Light Brigade
Literally everything Dominic Monaghan does

What a disappointing end to the trilogy and the saga. Still a fun popcorn movie.
Pretty sure everything about Palpatine and kylo was all about using him to get to rey, so you can check that off

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
On the other hand, she found a mentor / father figure in Han Solo, whom Kylo Ren killed; so if they ever wanted to do the whole "strike me down with all of your hatred" thing, it should have been Kylo that dared her to.
Sure, that would have been better, but this "I will tempt you to the dark side" was what Luke's conflict was about and I thought of Rey as beyond something as simple. Like, in TLJ, when Kylo Ren was offering his hand, he wasn't offering 'the dark side', he was offering a partnership that she happened to know would be fraught with toxicity, which is a bad thing, but not like in a cosmic sense like being tempted to the dark side, it's just a regular 'do I really want to get in bed (metaphorically) with this person who will help me deal with my loneliness, but put me in a position of abuse (in that she will abuse others since...you know, fascists, but also probably from Kylo Ren)'. And I like that better because it's a more real sort of dilemma. You aren't going to have a lot of space wizard nazi's tempting you to kill them so they can inject you with cosmic evil, but...you are going to have some bad relationships, and that's what Rey has to deal with. It's still SW, it's still dramatized, but...it's a step realer, you know?

Episode 9 should have been a film continuing those kinds of dilemmas.

He refuses to tell Poe because Poe doesn't believe in Jedi mumbo jumbo. Earlier in the movie Poe gets mad at Rey for training if you recall.

Vegeto

Oct 26, 2017
Frankfurt
This is why I like the prequels as much as I do. They aren't trying to be the original trilogy. Sure there were callbacks (call forwards?) but the main drive of the prequel trilogy was to show us how the Republic fell, the Jedi were wiped out and the Empire rose. It had a purpose, y'know? It also had its own visual identity, which helped define it against the original trilogy.

The sequel trilogy exists for the sake of existing. It doesn't serve a purpose beyond "Disney wants money", as evidenced by the fact they rushed the trilogy out, didn't have an overarching story and decided two thirds of the way through to rebrand the trilogy as the finale of the "Skywalker Saga". It has no visual identity of its own since the First Order is just the Empire with a slightly different paint job, it brings back as many people as it can from the original trilogy just to kill them off...

It doesn't even progress the narrative of the galaxy since there's literally no difference between the galaxy immediately after Return of the Jedi and the galaxy immediately after Rise of Skywalker. The whole trilogy is fundamentally pointless.

I thought the sequel trilogy was thematically too cynical but I guess that really just matches Disney's handling of the franchise.

Great comment, exactly why I hate the ST and I am thankful that we go the PT. The ST had no purpose at all, nothing new and it even damaged the ST with it's plot. No idea how someone can like this.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I didn't think it was silly in the first place. All the way back in the OT, Yoda considered her a viable alternate to Luke, in case he kicked the bucket in Cloud City.

She was Force sensitive enough to communicate with him telepathically. It's really not much of a leap to imagine that after 30 years (or whatever it is), she'd be able to pull herself out of trouble in a pinch. The first time I saw that scene, I thought it was a logical evolution for her character.
Someone should have just told Anakin and Obi they could have just force propelled themselves back into the ship instead of worrying about getting sucked out.

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018

Even though she is force sensitive is never shown or implied that her powers went beyond feeling or communicating with the force. I didn't have much trouble with that scene in TLJ cause as you mentioned it was a logical evolution and I just put in my headcannon that she had some training with Luke. So having that actually shown in this movie is nice.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

It still achieves the same underlying message of TLJ that your bloodline doesn't determine your role or fate. Her Skywalker name is not based on genetic lineage, which means Broom Boy could call himself Skywalker if he wanted to. It's a family name but it's now more of a title, which is what I (and others) expected it to become, especially when the title of this movie was revealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.