• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
The next year is going to be spent with loads of people banging on about The Last Jedi being the reason for The Rise of Skywalker being shite, failing to understand that all the elements that The Force Awakens set up were garbage and The Rise of Skywalker trying to retcon everything was just pure indulgence from Abrams.

Give it a decade and The Last Jedi will be as revered as Empire and Rise of Skywalker will be viewed through the same lens as Return of the Jedi of 'uhhhh we're supposed to like this?'

It won't. This whole trilogy will be viewed as shit and people will hope they retcon it all.

Maverick14

Banned
Feb 16, 2019
It's telling that Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Padme felt like more like a trio than those three.

For all the shit the prequels get, they're infinitely more coherent.
[/QUOTE]

The acting and dialogue in the prequels is shite..there is no bond between yhr characters and they are on the whole worse than these sequels...

I hate sand.....it gets everywhere..not like your skin...
Anakin and padme had negative chemistry (ie not just zero)...he as creepy stalker and she falls for him why?

Obiwan and Anakin had a huh relationship...mates, brothers, father son...none of the above in how they interact but we are told that they are all of them..

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
That argument would hold water if TLJ actually did anything interesting by itself. Just resetting everything and saying 'ok everything was a big failure, nothing got accomplished in this movie, now it's the next movies chance to do something interesting that is not cliche' is not valid, it has to do interesting things by itself.

It would be nice if TLJ did something new and fresh but the fact is that it spent most of its time with a slow speed chase involving a big space ship that's run out of gas, getting shot in the ass by space nazis following slowly behind. Interspersed with fruitless side plots such as going to a Las Vegas planet to get a hacker that also ends up being pointless. Every single plot line in that movie led nowhere, so much so that you could literally skip the entire movie and you wouldn't be missing any key points.

Exactly. It doesn't go anywhere.

Maverick14

Banned
Feb 16, 2019
That argument would hold water if TLJ actually did anything interesting by itself. Just resetting everything and saying 'ok everything was a big failure, nothing got accomplished in this movie, now it's the next movies chance to do something interesting that is not cliche' is not valid, it has to do interesting things by itself.

It would be nice if TLJ did something new and fresh but the fact is that it spent most of its time with a slow speed chase involving a big space ship that's run out of gas, getting shot in the ass by space nazis following slowly behind. Interspersed with fruitless side plots such as going to a Las Vegas planet to get a hacker that also ends up being pointless. Every single plot line in that movie led nowhere, so much so that you could literally skip the entire movie and you wouldn't be missing any key points.
Except the Rey Luke and the kylo Rey arc...the development of those two saves the movie for me...

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree. It retroactively makes a lot of the choices made in TLJ more understandable and enjoyable as well, I felt. Such as Luke demonstrating the lesson he learned on the island back to Rey.

The folks shitting on this movie as hard as they are straight up baffle me. It was a fun ass Star Wars movie.

I understand ppl liking the movie, is a well done movie, with beautiful shots, some good jokes (C3PO is almost the star of the movie for me) and lots of action and epicness. (which felt flat to me, but could work for a number of ppl)

What I don't get is ppl believing it properly followed the themes and character arcs of TLJ. The damn movie ended with "everyone can be a Jedi" simbolism and TROS throws out of the window that set up and message.

People really thinks that Rian's vision of TLJ was make Rey a Palpatine or sidetrack Rose after making her one of the key characters? Or even bring ba k Palpatine?

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There was no reason to tie all 9 films together and deliver something even bigger than what came before. That shows a complete lack of imagination on Abrams part. Kylo was set up as the primary antagonist and not following up on that (and Rey being a nobody) organically is what gave us this incoherent mess.

This is why I like the prequels as much as I do. They aren't trying to be the original trilogy. Sure there were callbacks (call forwards?) but the main drive of the prequel trilogy was to show us how the Republic fell, the Jedi were wiped out and the Empire rose. It had a purpose, y'know? It also had its own visual identity, which helped define it against the original trilogy.

The sequel trilogy exists for the sake of existing. It doesn't serve a purpose beyond "Disney wants money", as evidenced by the fact they rushed the trilogy out, didn't have an overarching story and decided two thirds of the way through to rebrand the trilogy as the finale of the "Skywalker Saga". It has no visual identity of its own since the First Order is just the Empire with a slightly different paint job, it brings back as many people as it can from the original trilogy just to kill them off...

It doesn't even progress the narrative of the galaxy since there's literally no difference between the galaxy immediately after Return of the Jedi and the galaxy immediately after Rise of Skywalker. The whole trilogy is fundamentally pointless.

I thought the sequel trilogy was thematically too cynical but I guess that really just matches Disney's handling of the franchise.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Was that woman at the end who asked Rey what her name was just some device for her to say Skywalker? Because in the flashbacks I recall only her father being killed, I was wondering if she was waiting for Rey to say "Palpatine" or something to reveal that she's her mother.

just some woman. who immediately vanished so Rey could go stand by the suns.
...that ending was clunky as hell.

Yunsar

Oct 27, 2017
I'm now convinced that the West got a completely different movie because I just watched it and found it pretty enjoyable overall. I certainly didn't found anything that could possibly elicit this much hate and outrage.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

If your problem is that the Last Jedi spent time doing things that were ultimately pointless, I would argue this movie makes the entire original trilogy pointless. The Emperor was still around, fine and dandy, pulling the strings and somehow building an invincible fleet of mini Death Stars. What, exactly, did Luke accomplish?

Or we can acknowledge that sometimes characters fail and that's okay.

Hot Priest

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 11, 2019

Fucking nonsense. Kylo killing Snoke and becoming the supreme leader of the first order was huge and had huge potential going into a third movie, JJ just threw it away to do a reset. Rey parents actually just being no one was also incredible, as was Luke sacrificing himself. Why does it need more plot development than that? All ESB did was reveal Vader is Lukes father and further Lukes training via Yoda the same way TLJ did with Rey via Luke.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Nitpicks and thoughts stream of consciousness
  • Where the fuck did Palpatine get those ships and how did he make him, i can accept if it was another death star but a fucking fleet even with the cultist that's ridiculous and who the fuck are the cultist
  • The pacing in this thing is way too fast paced, i don't know why it didn't bother me in tfa as much but there's no time to breathe
  • The editing in the beginning was fucking weird
  • I hate Rey being a Skywalker and a Palpatine and always preferred her being more independent.
  • Honestly the Palpatine twisr could have worked for me if it was explored more but there's a billion fetch quests and characters. It feels Abrams aping the Vader twist but is either a hack or he didn't have enough time which would still made him a hack
  • The new characters were cool and interesting but they shouldn't be in this movie and should be in a eu comic or Disney plus show. All they do is stuff the movie. Again i like the former stormtrooper but it's too late to introduce them or at least should have cut down on the fetch quests and poe origin and had them meet in the beginning
  • I like rey and ren relationship even if the pace kills certain moments
  • There's so many rememberries or whatever that's more eye rolling than anything
  • Some of the action was cool Abrams does that well
  • The leia scenes were obviously edited around a body double because in conversation they keeo cutting to the back of her head when the other person was talking. It's not a negative because i wouldn't blame anyone for fumbling this. It just funny
  • So many dumb fakeout deaths or at least 2 dumb fakeouts that added nothing. If chewie stayed dead that could at least be drama for Rey and her being afraid of her Palpatine blood part of the story. But nope he was in another unseen space ship
  • C3po whole subplot is pointless and just drags the movie
  • I like the conclusion to TLJ about them inspiring hope but the actual execution brought about no emotion in me
  • I like the idea of them fighting on star destroyer
  • Hux being a spy added nothing
  • I'm glad Palpatine is there instead of Ren taking over and making him do what he was going to do anyway (sarcasm)
  • Ren arc was rushed and like everything need focus
I don't hate it honestly as it may sound i was just bored with some smiles in between

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Wasn't that what TFA did to the whole OT and PT, though? Biggest failure is JJ Abrams/Disney (blame must be shared here) not having a single creative bone in his body and trying to mimic the OT step by step. Which makes all the sacrifices that happen before completely pointless.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I thought maybe even just as a bit of a dumb popcorn flick with way too much fan service that it'd still be fun, but it really wasn't. I don't know if I've seen a film use so many deus ex machina before. So little of the plot felt like it organically moved forward, none of the big reveals or moments landed, or just came off tepid, laughable even. The films structure is really weak. Also, that kiss at the end, like fuck off, that fellow was her abuser. Movie was just all around quite bad, with a few exceptions.

The score was nice, a few too many OT beats, but was a nice positive, and I think the cast really gave it their best. I think those are really the only positive things I can say. I'm sure down the road i'll still be able to watch it and have a degree of fun with it, like I can Revenge of the Sith, but it was easily the weakest of the sequel trilogy, and just an overall weak film.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017
If your problem is that the Last Jedi spent time doing things that were ultimately pointless, I would argue this movie makes the entire original trilogy pointless. The Emperor was still around, fine and dandy, pulling the strings and somehow building an invincible fleet of mini Death Stars. What, exactly, did Luke accomplish?

Or we can acknowledge that sometimes characters fail and that's okay.

Your first paragraph here is actually something that many complain about - i.e. that the Sequel Trilogy (not just TLJ) wound up undoing the victories and character growth of the original trilogy. Papa Palpatine being literally alive and kicking is really just the final cherry on top of this.

Hot Priest

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 11, 2019

The conclusion of this trilogy jettisons much of the work done by Johnson's film—to the point where, for all intents and purposes, The Rise Of Skywalker could almost pick up where The Force Awakens left off, were it not for a couple of characters pretty definitively dying in the interim. The most obvious of Abrams' efforts to reverse The Last Jedi is the retconning of Rey's parentage, making her the granddaughter of Emperor Palpatine. It's a decision that doesn't just undercut Johnson's story, in which Kylo Ren reveals to Rey that her parents were nobodies, the better to reaffirm just how isolated and meaningless she is in the eyes of others. It also undermines the crux of Johnson's point in making that narrative choice: that your past doesn't define your future, and a hero who changes the course of the universe can come from anywhere.

This is the core of why this film is soulless and why TLJ is the best Star Wars film ever made in my book. It's the only SW film to propose the question that maybe we can make our own destinies and aren't beholden to blood, that family actually isn't everything.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
The next year is going to be spent with loads of people banging on about The Last Jedi being the reason for The Rise of Skywalker being shite, failing to understand that all the elements that The Force Awakens set up were garbage and The Rise of Skywalker trying to retcon everything was just pure indulgence from Abrams.

Give it a decade and The Last Jedi will be as revered as Empire and Rise of Skywalker will be viewed through the same lens as Return of the Jedi of 'uhhhh we're supposed to like this?'
I think this is accurate.

It's telling that Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Padme felt like more like a trio than those three.
They really, truly didn't. One of the prequels' most spectacular failures is its lack of camaraderie and cohesion among its most important characters.

This is the core of why this film is soulless and why TLJ is the best Star Wars film ever made in my book. It's the only SW film to propose the question that maybe we can make our own destinies and aren't beholden to blood, that family actually isn't everything.
A salient point that sails over the heads of reflexive TLJ haters. TLJ is the only movie in the Sequel Trilogy that so much as leans toward a fresh direction for the main storyline.

Last edited:

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
here in an instant, gone in a flash. didn't make any sense, narratively or in universe.
ehhhhh ?

main-qimg-a78e6c28a352de2e67da39452d99c595.webp

It's her dagobah cave moment.

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
So many dumb fakeout deaths or at least 2 dumb fakeouts that added nothing. If chewie stayed dead that could at least be drama for Rey and her being afraid of her Palpatine blood part of the story. But nope he was in another unseen space ship

I didn't mind Chewie being alive after all but holy cow what made the fake outs dumb for me is the movie moves so fast they don't even let you get faked out before the twist happens. Pretty sure Chewie is said to be alive like two minutes after Rey thinks she killed him. Hux asks Finn to shoot him so it looks like he was overpowered so they can escape with the dagger but he's sniffed out and killed again like two minutes later.

It's all part of the movie's bigger problem that it doesn't know how to pay anything off effectively and in a way that catches the audience off guard.It's just so interested in moving on to the next thing. Every time a plot thing happened you practically see "Saving, please wait..."in a corner like it's an Uncharted game.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I understand ppl liking the movie, is a well done movie, with beautiful shots, some good jokes (C3PO is almost the star of the movie for me) and lots of action and epicness. (which felt flat to me, but could work for a number of ppl)

What I don't get is ppl believing it properly followed the themes and character arcs of TLJ. The damn movie ended with "everyone can be a Jedi" simbolism and TROS throws out of the window that set up and message.

People really thinks that Rian's vision of TLJ was make Rey a Palpatine or sidetrack Rose after making her one of the key characters? Or even bring ba k Palpatine?

This movie respects nothing, not just TLJ. It doesn't even jive with the OT or prequels. It doesn't respect the basic rules of moviemaking, it doesn't respect the audience. It's just two hours of SW white noise with 5 minutes of properly handled drama (the Ben/Leia/Han scene) in the middle. Nothing else is earned or explained properly.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Ehh let's not get crazy
Yeah, anakin and Obiwan can barely stand each other most of the time and the only good interactions we get with them are "Hey, remember that time I saved your ass before hte movie started?" Everything that could be said has been said about Padme's romance with Anakin. And Padme and Obiwan...they basically have no real relationship? I can't think of a single interaction they had that wasn't basically just professional until the point where Obiwan has to tell her Anakin killed children.

Now don't get me wrong, the new trio not feeling like a crew is it's own flaw, yes, but prequels don't get retroactive credit just because the ST failed at that part too.

Skyball Paint

Nov 12, 2017
Sorry, didn't mean to go off. The Ackbar argument is just one of the dumbest things in the worst arguments of TLJ and I still wake up in a cold sweat remembering how people legitimately tried to argue he was a real character.

Is this the part where we pretend Holdo was a good character anyone liked?
Not even the defenders actually seem to like her

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I didn't mind Chewie being alive after all but holy cow what made the fake outs dumb for me is the movie moves so fast they don't even let you get faked out before the twist happens. Pretty sure Chewie is said to be alive like two minutes after Rey thinks she killed him. Hux asks Finn to shoot him so it looks like he was overpowered so they can escape with the dagger but he's sniffed out and killed again like two minutes later.

It's all part of the movie's bigger problem that it doesn't know how to pay anything off effectively and in a way that catches the audience off guard.It's just so interested in moving on to the next thing. Every time a plot thing happened you practically see "Saving, please wait..."in a corner like it's an Uncharted game.
The story's bold moves are taken back as soon the audience has time to go "Oh wow." Chewie's accidental death at Rey's hands, C-3PO's memory wipe, Rey's apparent death... The audience is conditioned to ignore the stakes when nothing feels permanent.

Jet Jaguar

Dec 3, 2017
Absolute garbage.

Palpatine reminded me of channeling Arnold in T3 of just doing a pisstake of himself. The force powers and abilities have jumped the shark - palpatine frying the entire fleet, mind link stealing items, healing powers, the Jedi force ghosts found the train-freak from 90s Ghost movie for more real world interaction...

Cinematography was so flat and dull, at least Johnson's film got that right.

Also they've toned down the classic star wars laser blaster sounds - rewatching the PT & OT the sound design was way more consistent.

Everyone is pretty much always running - at certain points I don't know if JJ called in Bay to cover his sick leave

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017

But thats literally Rey's arc in RoS. So much so that Luke tells Rey that some things are stronger than blood ties, and when asked at the end of the movie what Rey's last name is (admittedly clunkily), she realises that it isn't biology that defines her and she chooses to be A skywalker because they are the ones that raised her and made her who she is.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
The Exogol stuff has given me an insatiable desire to see some kind of Mandalorian-esque spinoff that focuses solely on the Sith. The lore and world building around the Dark Side was the best part of the film for me.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
The story's bold moves are taken back as soon the audience has time to go "Oh wow." Chewie's apparent death, C-3PO's memory wipe, Rey's apparent death... The audience is conditioned to ignore the stakes when nothing feels permanent.

I still don't get the Chewie thing.

Dude has always been portrayed as capable. But he randomly walks away from their ship. Then offscreen he's captured, and when we next see him he's been held captive and is putting up no attempts to get away. Dude has always hated handcuffs. Then he clearly gets on the ship that's blown up, and Rey et al mourn him. Then we're shown he's alive minutes later, but they're all still mourning him. Then they find out he's alive and was on a second, unseen on screen unto then ship.

Like what the fuck? Who edited that shite? You don't undo a fake out before the characters know it was a fake out. Shit, reveal Chewie is alive at the end and have THAT be what snaps Rey out of It and fuck up Palpatine.

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018
Can we talk about force healing for a second? Why is that a thing in this movie? The force just told Rey she could do it? I don't feel it add it anything to the movie.

Hot Priest

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 11, 2019
But thats literally Rey's arc in RoS. So much so that Luke tells Rey that some things are stronger than blood ties, and when asked at the end of the movie what Rey's last name is (admittedly clunkily), she realises that it isn't biology that defines her and she chooses to be A skywalker because they are the ones that raised her and made her who she is.

And yet she had to be a Palpatine, and the plot had to revolve around Palpatine's plan to bring her to him since she's his grand daughter, and the reason she's force sensitive is because she's a Palpatine

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Not quite. I might have this wrong, but I recall that her Palpatine blood is used to explain her accidental Force lightning (like that ability is hereditary, lol), and her attraction to the Dark Side. She was much more interesting as a Force-sensitive nobody who carved her own path.

Plus, linking her to one of Star Wars' select few special families was a cop-out. It shrinks the story instead of expanding it.

Status
Not open for further replies.