• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 7777

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"You will take both sabers to Exogol"

what a weird fucking line to throw in from Luke.. like, why? I get it because of the payoff with Kylo, but.. what reason should she have taken both? Why would luke suggest it? it felt so out of place without any followup question from Rey or context as to why he's making her take both.

lmao I didn't catch this. This script is beyond terrible

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I would get whiplash just listing all the scenes that keep switching ideas/tone. Not even all of them are bad but the fact that there are so many make the movie as a whole pretty awful

besides the c3PO thing that was already mentioned you've got

- Rey killing Chewie, oh wait nah she didn't kill Chewie lol
- Hux is the spy and then immediately just gets blasted
- Kajimi blowing up but Zori/Babu surviving
- Lando saying he's done fighting and then he shows up at the base
- Kylo saying "actually you're palpy's granddaughter" and just everything to do with that
- Rey exiling herself and then reversing that within a minute because Luke talked to her and fixed his ship with space magic
- The communication radar not being necessary for the ships to get out of orbit, oh wait no they can just follow a ship with a signal (wait how does that ship get out of orbit if the other signal is down)
- Kylo getting yeeted off a cliff and coming back
- Rey dying and then coming back
- Rey killing Kylo and then healing him so he can come back
- The wayfinder being destroyed and then Rey just using Kylo's ship which conveniently still has one despite his old ship GOING UP IN FLAMES
- Lando apparently not being with the rebellion anymore just so he can ME3/Endgame everyone else in the universe there as a cheap surprise
- Palpy lighting up the entire rebellion fleet but not causing anyone to actually die or suffer any consequences from it at all besides some extras getting lit on fire
- Finn sacrificing himself to blow up the ship and then being saved
- Snoke actually being a clone that Palpy created

I'm sure I'm missing more. Again, individually some of these aren't bad at all but.... yeah
Sheev's force storm was rad. Straight out of the EU and I loved it.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I am now certain baby Yoda is Yoda's child, made to justify Palpie's child and to have a grown up new Yoda in some future movie(s).

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I will never understand how people can say Attack of the Clones is better than this film or TLJ. Go rewatch it and try to say it's a better film with a straight face after you're done.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
I think I would get whiplash just listing all the scenes that keep switching ideas/tone. Not even all of them are bad but the fact that there are so many make the movie as a whole pretty awful

besides the c3PO thing that was already mentioned you've got

- Rey killing Chewie, oh wait nah she didn't kill Chewie lol
- Hux is the spy and then immediately just gets blasted
- Kajimi blowing up but Zori/Babu surviving
- Lando saying he's done fighting and then he shows up at the base
- Kylo saying "actually you're palpy's granddaughter" and just everything to do with that
- Rey exiling herself and then reversing that within a minute because Luke talked to her and fixed his ship with space magic
- The communication radar not being necessary for the ships to get out of orbit, oh wait no they can just follow a ship with a signal (wait how does that ship get out of orbit if the other signal is down)
- Kylo getting yeeted off a cliff and coming back
- Rey dying and then coming back
- Rey killing Kylo and then healing him so he can come back
- The wayfinder being destroyed and then Rey just using Kylo's ship which conveniently still has one despite his old ship GOING UP IN FLAMES
- Lando apparently not being with the rebellion anymore just so he can ME3/Endgame everyone else in the universe there as a cheap surprise
- Palpy lighting up the entire rebellion fleet but not causing anyone to actually die or suffer any consequences from it at all besides some extras getting lit on fire
- Finn sacrificing himself to blow up the ship and then being saved
- Snoke actually being a clone that Palpy created

I'm sure I'm missing more. Again, individually some of these aren't bad at all but.... yeah

Yeah some of my issues with it lol

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I don't understand people who want KOTOR adaptations when those games already exist and they're great. Plus the first game's twist works much better in an interactive format and to convert them to movies you'd have to cut out a ton of dialog and worldbuilding and companion stuff.

I was under the impression he was basically just Sheev's voice and had no agency or thoughts of his own

You're right, what we need is AAA Kotor remakes that are canon.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Re: Luke's lightsaber- can someone refresh my memory on TLJ? Didn't it get destroyed at the end of the Rey-Kylo throne room fight?

Deleted member 7777

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will never understand how people can say Attack of the Clones is better than this film or TLJ. Go rewatch it and try to say it's a better film with a straight face after you're done.

I dont know man, I'd watch this for it's over the top bullshit just like I'd watch AOTC for its stiff acting. It's hilarious

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
You're right, what we need is AAA Kotor remakes that are canon.
Why? KOTOR is so far removed from all of the current material that it doesn't contradict anything so it being someone's head canon is perfectly fine.

I would much rather have them put resources to telling new stories.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Re: Luke's lightsaber- can someone refresh my memory on TLJ? Didn't it get destroyed at the end of the Rey-Kylo throne room fight?
There's not much to refresh. It's implied she repaired it in-between films. Supposedly to further play up the skywalker connection of everything since it's basically excalibur at this point. Though it would have made WAY more sense if she started the film with the yellow-bladed saber we see at the very end.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017

TLJ was a fever dream we all had apparently since JJ reconned the whole movie.

There was some pieces left, I guess we assume Rey took them and fixed it?

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
Yeah, that droid was weird. I think two movie plots happened at once
This movie got re-written to hell and back, by the looks of it. Either that, or it has an extremely low opinion of its audience.

It snapped, yes. Rey is holding both pieces as she says "how do we build a rebellion out of this?", IIRC. She just re-forged it, or something.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
At least with that it might have attempted to engage with The Last Jedi than this did.

That's fair. Although it really felt like Hamill phoned it in for what was there in this movie.

I just think that one of the best parts was the lightsaber switch that Rey and Kylo do, and it was based on something that happened in TLJ that helped set that up. I just can't imagine how good the movie could have been if it followed the actual movie it's a sequel to.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WTF at 3P0 being blocked at translating Sith language. So I guess at some point after Episode 3 Paplatine pushed through a firmware update on all protocol droids blocking Sith language?

It's just so unnecessary. The movie was so overstuffed that they should have cut the idea on the first draft. Just let 3P0 translate the damn inscription.

Ugh right? Then you have 3P0 resorting back to normal anyway after prospectively losing his memory. That's like 20 mins you could've cut from the movie.

The Driver

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Broooo I'm thinking back on this car wreck and I really can't believe they did Kelly like that omg lol.

Imagine being harassed online by racist nerds on the daily to having the director on the sequel to your film debut go and write you the fuck out of the sequel, capitulating to said nerds who hated the movie you are in.

I didn't particularly care for the Rose/Finn thing either but lord. Shit must be demoralizing and is beyond fucked.

Deleted member 11039

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Luke being: "A jedi never throws off his saber" and "I was wrong" are such baaad writing, because the audience knows he is talking to them, not talking as a character. It´s sort of Luke saying that he is sorry. Also a very coward tactic by the writers. Just plain bad.

Cowardly? Clunky maybe, but cowardly?

I think people are reading way to much into this JJ/RJ thing. I mean it's obvious they had different ideas for where to go with the story but I really doubt there's any of this pettiness people are trying to infer.

Luke throwing the saber away was when he was disillusioned and thinking the Jedi way was bad.

Luke throwing the saber away was straight "let the past die" garbage. He was in the wrong there.

By the end of the film he sees the err of his ways.

That bit in ROS directly follows how he ends in TLJ. When Rey says "I'm doing what you you did" or whatever and Luke says "I was wrong" that's the same message TLJ was saying.

I don't think the scene is all that great because it flies by like everything else, but it's not at odds with TLJ.

And is a very bad reading of what Rian was attempting with Luke's arc in TLJ.

What do you think he was attempting in TLJ?

Last edited:

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sheev's force storm was rad. Straight out of the EU and I loved it.

I liked the appearance but it pretty heavily ties into the cool moment that has no real repercussions a lot of the movie suffers from. The entire sky is lit up but it effectively just EMPs the ships as once he focuses on Rey Poe and everyone else just recover and go back to what they were doing.

Also

uh

Why DID palp stop and focus on Rey? What she's going to do...kill him and have him stop? EXACTLY WHAT HE WANTED HER TO DO?

Like the more I think about this movie the worse it gets.

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
Can someone remind me what happened with Kylos helmet? I saw the Battlefront 2 trailer on YT, but can't remember if anything significant happens to it in the movie .

He repairs it, wears it for like two scenes, he takes it off and that was it, right?

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"You will take both sabers to Exogol"

what a weird fucking line to throw in from Luke.. like, why? I get it because of the payoff with Kylo, but.. what reason should she have taken both? Why would luke suggest it? it felt so out of place without any followup question from Rey or context as to why he's making her take both.

Rey uses both lightsabers to beat Palpatine, so she needed both. Why she needed both to defeat Palpatine a s what difference does it has using two lightsabers to repel lightning force powers? Well... I don't know. Dark arts, force will... Whatever...you want to fit there, sure JJ filled there all he could.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
It's what happens when you attempt to squeeze 2 movies into one while trying to erase the one you didn't write.

Willing to bet JJ's draft of 8 ended with Kylo finding out he was played by Palpatine so he just placed a "Previously On Alias' at that start of Episode to recap what didn't hapoen in RJ's version of 8. 🤷🏾‍♂️
As I said previously, if this is what JJ always had in mind for this trilogy, Rian Johnson was more than justified in scrapping it and doing his own thing imo.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Again how did Kylo's new ship have the way finder still in it (or I guess he repaired it despite the wing getting chopped off and it bursting into flames in the middle of a desert?)

And how did the main star destroyer ascend into orbit if you need a signal to tell which way is up (which I guess the Rebellion doesn't need to leave huh, oops) and the signal they were relying on was shut down

And why didn't they keep literally any star destroyers in orbit so they would be functional against an attack, what happened to the one that destroyed Kajimi? It just decided to fuck back into the atmosphere for reasons?

The amount of plot contrivances this movie has is dizzying

Oct 25, 2017
Broooo I'm thinking back on this car wreck and I really can't believe they did Kelly like that omg lol.

Imagine being harassed online by racist nerds on the daily to having the director on the sequel to your film debut go and write you the fuck out of the sequel, capitulating to said nerds who hated the movie you are in.

I didn't particularly care for the Rose/Finn thing either but lord. Shit must be demoralizing and is beyond fucked.
JJ Abrams can get a big bag of shit for giving Rose the Jar Jar treatment

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

Sure make all of those "We got her back" comments from LFL folks pretty bad in hindsight

Deleted member 41638

Banned
Apr 3, 2018
When you lay it out like that...yeah

This movie was a fucking disaster

And the worst part is 90% of those fakeouts (like everyone's death except Zori for some reason) last only 2 or 3 minutes. By the time you were getting over the shock of Chewie dying he was alive again. And it happened so frequently that by the halfway point I was like "oh a bad thing happened? I bet they will revers-yup they undid it"

It felt like there were no stakes and nothing mattered because our heroes were virtually immune to death and got turned into 80s action stars. That star destroyer scene where they are just effortlessly mowing down stormies? Did they have Schwarzenegger come in to guest direct that scene?

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
Question: Who were all the Jedis that talked to Rey at the end, I had to watch it dubbed in spanish so I didn't recognized any voice, except Yoda for the grammar of course. Speaking of Yoda I was hoping against my best judgement that the Mandalorian and baby Yoda arrived to the fight at the end lol, missed opportunity there Disney

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Rey uses both lightsabers to beat Palpatine, so she needed both. Why she needed both to defeat Palpatine a s what difference does it has using two lightsabers to repel lightning force powers? Well... I don't know. Dark arts, force will... Whatever...you want to fit there, sure JJ filled there all he could.

Again, WHY would Luke tell her that beforehand? I get the outcome, but she didn't even hesitate to ask a reason.

Hell, his green one is clearly on the island somewhere, why not take all three?

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles

She was in the first and second act. She is a minor character. Did people want Rose elevated to a major character role?

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
There's not much to refresh. It's implied she repaired it in-between films. Supposedly to further play up the skywalker connection of everything since it's basically excalibur at this point. Though it would have made WAY more sense if she started the film with the yellow-bladed saber we see at the very end.
TLJ was a fever dream we all had apparently since JJ reconned the whole movie.

There was some pieces left, I guess we assume Rey took them and fixed it?
This movie got re-written to hell and back, by the looks of it. Either that, or it has an extremely low opinion of its audience.

It snapped, yes. Rey is holding both pieces as she says "how do we build a rebellion out of this?", IIRC. She just re-forged it, or something.

Thanks. Seems weird for her to not feel worthy of it if she was able to repair it back to normal. Making your own lightsaber is supposed to be such a major point of becoming a jedi.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
I liked the appearance but it pretty heavily ties into the cool moment that has no real repercussions a lot of the movie suffers from. The entire sky is lit up but it effectively just EMPs the ships as once he focuses on Rey Poe and everyone else just recover and go back to what they were doing.

Also

uh

Why DID palp stop and focus on Rey? What she's going to do...kill him and have him stop? EXACTLY WHAT HE WANTED HER TO DO?

Like the more I think about this movie the worse it gets.

Um....holy shit you're right, wtf???? This plot point was so rediculous I can't say I gave it a second thought. Lmao

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA

what I can't believe is JJ actually said in an interview (was it at Celebration?) that the best thing Rian did was cast Kelly. And then they treat her like this in the actual movie. Just smmfh.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
TROS Event takes place on 8012 C.R.C.
Sheev is 119.
Rey is 20.
Ben is 30.

Yeah, he fucks someone around before the clone wars

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FWIW, TLJ got a lot more reactions (positive) in key moments in my theatre than TRoS did. Because at least there was buildup with a payoff. TRoS, the payoffs just kinda happen. It's not emotionally rewarding to see it, its just there. Which is a shame because those moments would have been great if they built up to it properly.

Deleted member 21858

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Again how did Kylo's new ship have the way finder still in it (or I guess he repaired it despite the wing getting chopped off and it bursting into flames in the middle of a desert?)

And how did the main star destroyer ascend into orbit if you need a signal to tell which way is up (which I guess the Rebellion doesn't need to leave huh, oops) and the signal they were relying on was shut down

And why didn't they keep literally any star destroyers in orbit so they would be functional against an attack, what happened to the one that destroyed Kajimi? It just decided to fuck back into the atmosphere for reasons?

The amount of plot contrivances this movie has is dizzying

Idk. I dont even think I was wake during the big space battle. It was so... average. Nothing new in it. At least Force Awakens had that amazing shot of the X-Wings over the ocean, TLJ had the At-Ats versus the weird speeders. The vehicle battles in Rise were so bad as well, Rogue One destroyed this movie in that department as well (and all others, best recent Star Wars movie).

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Yeah, that was shitty.

I hope they take a long time away from movies with this franchise. Give it a 5 year gap or something.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
Question: Who were all the Jedis that talked to Rey at the end, I had to watch it dubbed in spanish so I didn't recognized any voice, except Yoda for the grammar of course. Speaking of Yoda I was hoping against my best judgement that the Mandalorian and baby Yoda arrived to the fight at the end lol, missed opportunity there Disney
I saw it dubbed too, and I think Obi, Mace, and Luke at the end were definitely there. Maybe Leia and Qui-Gon too, but I'm not that sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.