• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 21858

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think that is a completely reasonable position. Both movies are flawed and it really boils down to which of the good parts of each movie resonated more.

Also Return of the Jedi last thirty minutes or so are some of the best in the entire franchise. Vader sacrifice alone has more punch and soul into it than every scene combined of the three new movies.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
In terms of its overall effect of the viewing experience, which movie from another series is most similar to TROS?

Spiderman 3? The Matrix Revolutions? The Hobbit Battle of Five Armies?

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
As I said before, at least from my parents and my screening, I don't think the B+ is indicative of poor quality for once, I think most people will be fine with it and it'll probably have decent legs, esp since it's already looking to perform better than predicted on its opening weekend.
In terms of its overall effect of the viewing experience, which movie from another series is most similar to TROS?

Spiderman 3? The Matrix Revolutions? The Hobbit Battle of Five Armies?
It's kinda like Spider-Man 3 and BotFA in that it crams a lot of shit into a final film, but I feel like it's its own thing. You really just need to see it for yourself. For all you know, you might like it regardless of what critics or people in the thread say.

Oct 25, 2017
Leia flying was kinda dumb and TLJ had a looot of dumb moments (Cassino scene and Rose - poor actress btw, not her fault). At least the movie tried something new and took a few risks. Everything in Rise is soooooo safe. Like, there is zero originality and soul in this movie.

- One scene: "Oh noes, Chewie died!" and then five seconds later everyone knows he is alive. Worse is that the audience already knows it far before.
- One scene: "Oh noes, C3PO memory wipe!" and then five seconds later, his memory is basically all restored.

Nothing is earned. There is no emotional investment with anything. The main characters lack charisma. We know nothing about them! Take Poe for example:

- We know he is a pilot
- We know during the 3rd movie that he used to be a smuggler. That´s all.

Now Han Solo, a character from 1977 in his first few scenes.

- We know he is a pilot.
- We know he has a debt with Jabba the Hutt
- We know that he owns a very, very fast ship.
- We know that there are bounty hunters after him
- We know that he is in it for the money and doesn´t care much for else.
- We know he did the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs, which means that he is probably very good.
- We know that he doesn´t believe in the Force and prefers a good old blaster.
- We know that he has a wookie companion.

There is a backstory and Han has a personality. Like... the characters in the new trilogy fucking SUCK. Kylo Ren is probably the best of the bunch, but even so... he heard Leia, then memory Harrison Ford appeared and he decided to be a good guy out of fucking nowhere.

The 3P0 example is particly egregious because they undercut the tension immediately by bringing up the prospect of R2 having a backup and then they undercut that by saying that R2 kinda sucks, so who knows?

So much of the movie vacillates between telling you something is important then saying "Psych! it was never important". The main mechanism Abram's seemed to use to create any sort of tension is repeatedly lying to the audience.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The 3P0 example is particly egregious because they undercut the tension immediately by bringing up the prospect of R2 having a backup and then they undercut that by saying that R2 kinda sucks, so who knows?

So much of the movie vacillates between telling you something is important then saying "Psych! it was never important". The main mechanism Abram's seemed to use to create any sort of tension is repeatedly lying to the audience.
Yeah lol

Oct 25, 2017

Its what people accused Rian of in the last film

Subversion for subversion's sake

Deleted member 11039

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I have a question, is the implication that Leia was mind controlling Ben/Kylo somehow?

I just took it that she reached out to him and it was enough to throw him off, but then I really don't know why that would lead to her death so I honestly don't really know what was going on there.

Leia never reaching out to Kylo or even having a scene with him in the first two films is a real stain on this trilogy. At least in TFA and ROS she seems to care. in TLJ she just shrugs him off and claims he's already gone. That was really jarring.

Deleted member 21858

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Also the lightsaber coreography and battle scenes were soooo bad. The one against dark Rey and Rey x Kylo. In a world were even TV series are knocking it out of the park... like... c´mon, guys. There are so many good opportunities when it comes to lightsaber battles to make it amazing, more close and personal. Just get that director from Game of Thrones (Miguel something) to direct the battle scenes next time. They felt so uninspired in that movie.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Also why weren't any of Palpy's ships chilling in space? Kinda seems like a critical flaw if they only work best when they're out of the atmosphere and they can't get out of the atmosphere unless they have a signal telling them what to do lol

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Yeah this should have been in the 70s.
agree.

Also why weren't any of Palpy's ships chilling in space? Kinda seems like a critical flaw if they only work best when they're out of the atmosphere and they can't get out of the atmosphere unless they have a signal telling them what to do lol
I found it interesting that shipyards for ships that big would be in atmospheres. Why wouldn't they build things that size in a space port or dock of some sort?

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah this should have been in the 70s.
Remember that RT measures positive/negative consensus, not ratings. Individual reviews are counted as either generally positive or generally negative.

This movie certainly has a lot of things worth criticizing that any decent critic would pick up on, so a score hovering around 60% makes perfect sense. If it were total trash, the score would be much lower. Probably. There are exceptions, like the Prequel Trilogy.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, I want to note how hard the movie went with Rian's job on TLJ. Every damn theme or plot point he did has been undermined or destroyed to dust.

"A real Jedi never throws his saber"... C'mon that m's blatant and undeserved. Rose became a joke of a character, like wtf...

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Also, I want to note how hard the movie went with Rian's job on TLJ. Every damn theme or plot point he did has been undermined or destroyed to dust.

"A real Jedi never throws his saber"... C'mon that m's blatant and undeserved. Rose became a joke of a character, like wtf...
After thinking about, it's also really dumb because Luke literally does that at the end of RotJ to prove to Palpatine that he's wrong about him, and goes with Yoda's lessons that lightsabers aren't important compared to knowledge and wisdom.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Its what people accused Rian of in the last film

Subversion for subversion's sake

I'm just going to accuse him of getting my hopes up for a great ending to the trilogy.

Still trying to wrap my head around the first half of the movies' plot revolving around a secret decoder ring dagger. Who made this stupid knife? How would they know where the thing is? tf the landscape supposed to line up? My head hurts thinking about it

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
WTF at 3P0 being blocked at translating Sith language. So I guess at some point after Episode 3 Paplatine pushed through a firmware update on all protocol droids blocking Sith language?

It's just so unnecessary. The movie was so overstuffed that they should have cut the idea on the first draft. Just let 3P0 translate the damn inscription.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
So when Palpatine make babies? And with whom? I did the math and Rey must be like 40 years minimum. The RoTJ was 30 years before of TFA, yes?
Not sure what the current lore is, but he could have had a child before being seduced by the Dark Side.

(Which doesn't solve the age problem, but at least that's not the literal Emperor fucking)

Nov 13, 2017
WTF at 3P0 being blocked at translating Sith language. So I guess at some point after Episode 3 Paplatine pushed through a firmware update on all protocol droids blocking Sith language?

It's just so unnecessary. The movie was so overstuffed that they should have cut the idea on the first draft. Just let 3P0 translate the damn inscription.
He says the Old Republic created that rule. He said it when the snake snuck up on him.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just going to accuse him of getting my hopes up for a great ending to the trilogy.

Still trying to wrap my head around the first half of the movies' plot revolving around a secret decoder ring dagger. Who made this stupid knife? How would they know where the thing is? tf the landscape supposed to line up? My head hurts thinking about it
The Knife shit is so horrible

Like what the fuck were they thinking

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
I honestly wasn't expecting to like Solo more than TROS yet here I stand. Straight up felt like tumblr fan fiction in a lot of ways. While I'm genuinely disappointed in how poorly written this one was, I'm a Star Wars fan through and through. We've been through a lot, and we can weather this as well. I'll just enjoy the cherry picked things that I loved in it. I'm also going through the new Visual Dictionary for the film and love a lot of the details in there... but I also realize that ancillary material like said book don't make up for the film itself, which is equally disheartening.

Let's hope they can turn things around with the next films. At least The Mandalorian has been overall great or Star Wars would be in a dark place right now.

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
I agree. I am sure part of it is that I was a kid when I saw it, but I prefer Jedi for all of it's faults.
Return of the Jedi is such an interesting movie, because I totally agree when people list all of the things the movie does poorly, and I can see all the different ways it's kind of bad, but it just kind of.... works? Like it's all over the place in a lot of ways, but everything with Luke, Vader, and the Emperor work so well for me, that my brain kind of goes "well, it's great if you act like that lame stuff isn't really there."

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

No, no, you see, when Sidious willed Anakin into existence and then when he built 3P0 during episode 1, he prenatally manipulated the midichlorians in Anakin's body to subconsciously add in the anti-with translation subroutine back in Watto's shop.

IT WAS HIS PLAN ALL ALONG, jeez, aren't you paying attention? Palpy was playing the REAL long game on that one.

Deleted member 21858

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah Luke being: "A jedi never throws off his saber" and "I was wrong" are such baaad writing, because the audience knows he is talking to them, not talking as a character. It´s sort of Luke saying that he is sorry. Also a very coward tactic by the writers. Just plain bad.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
So when Palpatine make babies? And with whom? I did the math and Rey must be like 40 years minimum. The RoTJ was 30 years before of TFA, yes?

Grand daughter....

Sheev was a normal looking, scharming and successful Senator from a rich planet for decades before he was ugly ass Emperor. Dude banged, everyone knows you can't win high office without having a family portrait or two.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Luke being: "A jedi never throws off his saber" and "I was wrong" are such baaad writing, because the audience knows he is talking to them, not talking as a character. It´s sort of Luke saying that he is sorry. Also a very coward tactic by the writers. Just plain bad.
Or brilliant, it depends on how you view it.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just like GoT, I can proceed to not give a fuck about SW movies anymore. Some movies I exaggerate and say bad while they are just about average but this goddamn movie is legit bad bad.

Congratulations Disney. Hope the new targeted audience liked it.

Status
Not open for further replies.