• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seri

Oct 30, 2017
Over all I liked the movie a lot and would like to see it again. The only thing that "bothered" me was So many call backs. Chewy finally getting his medal and "I Know." Being the two I liked the best, but jeezus you couldn't sneeze without a call back. Also why did they give a droid anxiety?

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Can't tell if sarcasm but he never seemed like he was much stronger than Yoda, Mace, or Vader. Like I never really felt that strength gap
no sarcasm

Well yeah you do know Yoda and Mace are the two strongest jedi in the order, he beat Yoda and Mace was able to beat him in saber combat but unknown if he could've stopped the lightning cause Sheev started faking. The 3 jedi that were with Mace to arrest Sheev are 3 of the strongest warriors in the jedi order and he instantly murked them. Being around the level of Mace and Yoda makes you one of the strongest period, he's not just a schemer he's one of the strongest fighters around. Vader is useless against Sheev, he's instantly shut down with lightning cause of his suit and he never reached his full potential, it's why he needed Luke to help him beat Sheev cause he couldn't do it himself. In Clone Wars we saw some more Sheev action where he solo'd Darth Maul and his brother(as strong as Maul but not as skilled) and he zaps Dooku into submission.

again did you not see him pull out a giant force storm that attacked an entire fleet, if you haven't watched CW then what Sheev did in TROS is far beyond any display of brute power ever shown on film.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Rey's powers make less sense to me. Is force lightening just a genetic trait?

I didn't want to ask about this because I felt it might've been explained more eloquently than her having connection to all past Jedi. Still bothered me though.
It is now. In fairness we've never seen anyone else do it. Could Dooku?

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Han was just a mental construction of Kylo, who just went through the trauma of connecting with his dying mother, so he wasn't thinking straight and was all tripped out.

I was fine with that scene.

Was there a scene where Lando was tasked with finding people to fight on the side of the resistance? Because Finn saying "You did it!" didn't make any sense to me.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
But Rey still killed Sheev so shouldn't she still be possessed?
She just reflected his sith lightning back on him so actually he killed himself its actually a super clever loophole because it makes sense that the jedi would not kill a sith so just taking a deliberate action that causes his death but happens because of something he did is a great way to side step the whole issue and abrams is so darn smart and clever and

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
W4I1R4G.gif
Lol this kind of happened in my theater

A6502

Jan 22, 2018
A friend and I saw the 4:30 show. He is about 40, I am about 50. We agree that we thoroughly enjoyed The Rise of Skywalker! I don't know what's going on with the RoS haters but I disagree. I was entirely satisfied and entertained by the film. I enjoyed Ep7, I enjoyed Ep8 a bit less. Maybe the haters should give up on Star Wars. I hope I like it this much on 2nd watch in a few days.

Desparadina

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
it could be explained to me a million times idgaf Kylo's redemption was completely fucking unEARNED and Rey shouldn't have had to be the one to tell him to stop being a fuckup. He should have been the final villain maybe he meets Palpatine and it's a trap and Palps takes over his body please anything other than the shitfest we got.

ckareset

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Han was just a mental construction of Kylo, who just went through the trauma of connecting with his dying mother, so he wasn't thinking straight and was all tripped out.

I was fine with that scene.

Was there a scene where Lando was tasked with finding people to fight on the side of the resistance? Because Finn saying "You did it!" didn't make any sense to me.
Yeah, right before the battle they sent Lando

Joco

Oct 29, 2017
Biggest annoyances on first thoughts after seeing it: zero concrete details about Rey's parents other than her father was Palpatine's son (so many questions on this alone) that will probably never be answered, zero explanation as to how Palpatine ended up surviving the end of ROTJ (probably because it's impossible to come up with one other than voodoo dark side black magic), and finally why did Palpatine force lightning himself to death in his fight with Rey?

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
it could be explained to me a million times idgaf Kylo's redemption was completely fucking unEARNED and Rey shouldn't have had to be the one to tell him to stop being a fuckup. He should have been the final villain maybe he meets Palpatine and it's a trap and Palps takes over his body please anything other than the shitfest we got.
It could've been earned if the film took a second to take a goddamn break.

ckareset

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Vaders turn to darkness and redemption weren't much different

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Palpatine shouldn't have been brought back at all. Kylo being the final villain and Rey coming to terms with being a nobody would've made a much stronger arc for both of those characters.

ckareset

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Palpatine shouldn't have been brought back at all. Kylo being the final villain and Rey coming to terms with being a nobody would've made a much stronger arc for both of those characters.
Also would have aided the adoption angle they wanted

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
JJ basically just did what he thought the plot would be in TFA and ignored TLJ instead of building from TLJ and seeing where the story should naturally go. It was payoff with little set up.

Disappointed.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I enjoyed it, despite it's obvious and sometimes big problems.

Terrible opening crawl text, sidelined characters, new characters introduced too late, Chewy's fake out death, Rey's back story reveal, Knights of Ren introduced and did nothing, final battle ground team could have just taken out the navigation thingy, without needing to be on the ground.......

There was a lot of stuff that just didn't stick the landing or didn't make much sense.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
JJ basically just did what he thought the plot would be in TFA and ignored TLJ instead of building from TLJ and seeing where the story should naturally go. It was payoff with little set up.

Disappointed.
And it turns out Rian dumped that plot for a reason and that's because it was BAAAAAAD. People thought he was discarding shit for no reason when - in hindsight - he was trying to steer the Titanic away from the iceberg.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Sheev's weakness is that he's stuck in a kind of cooldown state when he starts using force lightning, in ROTJ he turns into a statue when Vader picks him up and keeps shooting lightning even as he's falling. He used his limit breaker force lightning against Rey which put him in too long of a cooldown state so he couldn't stop killing himself.

ckareset

Banned
Feb 2, 2018

Disappointed.
Nah. I don't think J J planned anything after TFA.

Darkgran

Oct 27, 2017
A friend and I saw the 4:30 show. He is about 40, I am about 50. We agree that we thoroughly enjoyed The Rise of Skywalker! I don't know what's going on with the RoS haters but I disagree. I was entirely satisfied and entertained by the film. I enjoyed Ep7, I enjoyed Ep8 a bit less. Maybe the haters should give up on Star Wars. I hope I like it this much on 2nd watch in a few days.

I agree. Also why do you have my avatar?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
But rey can already beat him. So the movie would just be she beats him again.

It's not about who wins fights. Fights are only part of a character's journey. And even if they DID fight again, this isn't goddamn Dragonball Z. Kylo could learn new techniques or find ways to get around Rey's advantages. It's called writing.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And it turns out Rian dumped that plot for a reason and that's because it was BAAAAAAD. People thought he was discarding shit for no reason when - in hindsight - he was trying to steer the Titanic away from the iceberg.

Yup.

Nah. I don't think J J planned anything after TFA.

He didn't plan anything explicitly, but I'm sure when he planted his mystery boxes he had an idea of where they could go. Then when Rian went a completely different direction, JJ tried to veer it back. For example, JJ set up that Rey's parents would be something important, but then Rian said the twist is they weren't anyone at all (which feeds into the theme of greatness can come from anywhere), but then JJ stripped that away and made her a Palpatine.

Status
Not open for further replies.