• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Can't believe Kathleen Kennedy let JJ mystery box and not answer the mysteries in private so that they could plot it out over3 movies. Surely she watched how they botched Lost...

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
Thanks for weighing in with your opinion that had absolutely nothing to do with the construction of the scene, the dramatic payoff for the characters or the action framing and shot composition (which is way better than the shakey cam, close-up style in TROS) which is a departure from the filmic style employed in SW. I don't want to hear from anyone again that Rian Johnson doesn't get SW.
It is one of the most beautifully shot scenes in all of Star Wars. Maybe the most beautifully shot. In a movie that has undoubtedly the best cinematography in the entire franchise. Glad we continue to agree.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Palpatine never gets a chance to really show how nasty the Sith can be since he gets shoehorned into that Lightning Guy persona. When you see the kind of sick sith stuff they got going on with partially reanimated corpses possessed by souls etc. The Sith clearly can do some fucked up shit

ckareset

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
What. Did you not see ROTS where he had Yoda run away with his tail between his legs, did you not watch this very movie where he pulled out a EU force unleashed level force storm? Dude has the biggest feats in SWs besides Clone Wars Anakin on Mortis.
Can't tell if sarcasm but he never seemed like he was much stronger than Yoda, Mace, or Vader. Like I never really felt that strength gap

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Palpatine never gets a chance to really show how nasty the Sith can be since he gets shoehorned into that Lightning Guy persona. When you see the kind of sick sith stuff they got going on with partially reanimated corpses possessed by souls etc. The Sith clearly can do some fucked up shit

Yeah I would kill for actualy wizards in this series.

The Night Sisters stuff in Jedi:Fallen Order was really fucking cool. I know it's not Sith shit, but still force adjacent.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
We should all talk about how Vader saved Luke from killing Palpatine in RotJ now as he didn't want his son to be possessed by Sheev.
IcLfZ.jpg

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Forgot to mention, but the whole 'You're life isn't determined by the people you're related to, even if they're evil' theme would've been fine... if its version of that theme hadn't already been one of the main thematic and narrative thrusts of Luke's arc in RotJ. RJ's approach to it was far and away better, as was Lucas' original examination of it in the OT.

Lark

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
After seeing Rose get ignored in most of the promotional material leading up to the movie, I had a bad feeling that she was going to get mostly written out, but it ended up somehow worse than I initially expected. She's barely in the movie (and somehow less relevant than even D-O or Babu Friik), but the writers also managed to throw out every character development she was involved with in TLJ—not just her own , but also Finn's (he decides to go on yet another certain-death mission to disable a big enemy device, and she just goes along with it despite that contradicting the entire climax of her and Finn's arcs in TLJ).

Less offensive but just as inexplicable is that TLJ introduced an entire species of alien horses and tied them to Rose and Finn, so when TRoS needs Finn leading a cavalry charge on top of a Star Destroyer (for dubious reasons), they have him ride out alongside... another side character entirely who's given barely any story, with a completely new species of alien horses with no relation to the perfectly serviceable species of alien horses from the last movie. If you wanted to retroactively make the often-criticized Canto Bight subplot more relevant, bringing back Rose and the Fathiers for the cavalry charge would have been a tidy way of doing it, if the writers weren't so obviously resolved to make Rose wholly irrelevant, for reasons that are pretty transparently tied to the backlash against TLJ—including the racist attacks against Kelly Marie Tran.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Rose literally completed her Character arc in TLJ. She saved Finn and taught him that sacrificing yourself for nothing doesn't make you a hero. She is no different then all the other rebels who showed up in 4,5 and 6 never to be seen again. She is basically a Wedge Antilles and got just about as much time as Wedge Antilles.

I get people wanted more but she was a mid trilogy toss in. Was never going to be anything but that like alot of others

Lando was in significantly less of Empire and he got to come back and have a semi-prominent role in Jedi.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
How many people in your theatre whispered "SKYWALKER" like they were geniuses when Rey hesitated on her last name at the end of the movie?

ckareset

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
We should all talk about how Vader saved Luke from killing Palpatine in RotJ now as he didn't want his son to be possessed by Sheev.
IcLfZ.jpg
I actually liked the Sith ritual a lot.

But then Palpatine killed himself. Rey should she could use lightening which is clearly now a family thing so I would have liked if she at least shot it herself

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So what was up with the whole thing about Finn having to tell Rey something? Poe even brought it up later then nothing.

Also that planet with Poe's old spice running crew, was named Kojimi? Is this another JJ/ Kojima shout out like the red arm in Force Awakens or am I just being crazy?

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finn being shown as force sensitive like he was just a xerox of Leia being force sensitive in ROTJ, say and hint at it but don't actually go anywhere with it cause you know, gotta stay in lockstep with what the OT did.
he was the biggest dork in TFA... I mean MR BIG DEAL. He reminds me of how Jonathan Turned out in MGS4, now all of a sudden he was a badass. That's so stupid.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Finn being shown as force sensitive like he was just a xerox of Leia being force sensitive in ROTJ, say and hint at it but don't actually go anywhere with it cause you know, gotta stay in lockstep with what the OT did.

Oh god, that was even more of a nothing moment than I'd expected. You could argue Finn logically picked out Pryce's ship as the flagship because A) it's a different model as the hundreds of other Star Destroyers, and B) he was just onboard that ship and knows its significance to the First Order.

But also, who the hell is manning all those Death Star Fleet ships? Tens of millions of those Sith followers? What's their deal? Or was Sith Avatar Palpatine guiding them individually? Wouldn't that have made for a neat and imaginative space combat sequence that demonstrated the terrifying ability of the Big Bad Immortal Emperor? Food for thought. Or not.

Oct 25, 2017
So what was up with the whole thing about Finn having to tell Rey something? Poe even brought it up later then nothing.

Also that planet with Poe's old spice running crew, was named Kojimi? Is this another JJ/ Kojima shout out like the red arm in Force Awakens or am I just being crazy?
Probably that he was in love with her.

Maybe they shot footage of this

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I would kill for actualy wizards in this series.

The Night Sisters stuff in Jedi:Fallen Order was really fucking cool. I know it's not Sith shit, but still force adjacent.
Ive said it for a long time even before they finally introduced this more horror element that based even on old EU Sith Lore if they wanted to make movies within the star wars universe across different Genre they could easily make some Scary horror like movies based off the Sith. I mean even in the old EU Palpatine was doing crazy shit to Animals turning them into monsters etc.

Oct 25, 2017
After seeing Rose get ignored in most of the promotional material leading up to the movie, I had a bad feeling that she was going to get mostly written out, but it ended up somehow worse than I initially expected. She's barely in the movie (and somehow less relevant than even D-O or Babu Friik), but the writers also managed to throw out every character development she was involved with in TLJ—not just her own , but also Finn's (he decides to go on yet another certain-death mission to disable a big enemy device, and she just goes along with it despite that contradicting the entire climax of her and Finn's arcs in TLJ).

Less offensive but just as inexplicable is that TLJ introduced an entire species of alien horses and tied them to Rose and Finn, so when TRoS needs Finn leading a cavalry charge on top of a Star Destroyer (for dubious reasons), they have him ride out alongside... another side character entirely who's given barely any story, with a completely new species of alien horses with no relation to the perfectly serviceable species of alien horses from the last movie. If you wanted to retroactively make the often-criticized Canto Bight subplot more relevant, bringing back Rose and the Fathiers for the cavalry charge would have been a tidy way of doing it, if the writers weren't so obviously resolved to make Rose wholly irrelevant, for reasons that are pretty transparently tied to the backlash against TLJ—including the racist attacks against Kelly Marie Tran.

They even have Finn make a quip about how this is his first time riding to complete the memory hole.

ckareset

Banned
Feb 2, 2018

It was the tension between I love you and I can use the force. It's jj so the mystery was never solved

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
There was one girl who did back to back audible gasps when Kylo revealed that Rey was Palpatine's grand daughter.

So like, did Palpatine order his own child to be killed? Because one of Rey's parents was Palpatine's kid. Was it his son or daughter?

I'm assuming there's a book out about this or that one is being written soon.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Ive said it for a long time even before they finally introduced this more horror element that based even on old EU Sith Lore if they wanted to make movies within the star wars universe across different Genre they could easily make some Scary horror like movies based off the Sith. I mean even in the old EU Palpatine was doing crazy shit to Animals turning them into monsters etc.

That would be so fucking cool.

Zej

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I watched it last night, but didn't even care to comment at the time. What a throwaway movie. I'll always like Driver and I was glad to have the crew together for most of the movie,...but it was just awful.

I look forward to Rian's trilogy, but otherwise, they really need to scale back and stick to serialized TV.

<blech />

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
But Rey still killed Sheev so shouldn't she still be possessed?
Rey's powers make less sense to me. Is force lightening just a genetic trait?

I didn't want to ask about this because I felt it might've been explained more eloquently than her having connection to all past Jedi. Still bothered me though.

Rey didnt kill Sheev. Rey was defending herself and Sheev killed Sheev from trying to overpower her defense. The difference between darkside and light

Status
Not open for further replies.