• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpookyLettuce

May 26, 2018
I'm not done reading your post but had to jump in a echo this. The scene with Han is one of the best in the film and Driver is soo damn good. When he says "Dad.." and kinda flinches in a mixture of pain and relief was an incredible moment.
Agreed. Watching this and Han's death in TFA side-by-side... ugh, my heart hurts.

I remember reading the leaks for this, and a lot of the speculation was that it was meant to replace a scene with Leia and Ben, or that it'd be better with Hayden as Anakin to confront him. But I'm glad it was with Harrison.

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
The few minutes we got of Ben Solo fighting were probably my favorite. That shrug actually had me believing he was Han's kid lol.

My biggest issue with the whole ST is that it just reset the galaxy again. Like we were literally here at this exact moment in terms of galactic affairs at the end of ROTJ. What was the point of all this

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I'm starting to feel like I'm in some weird special group of people who disliked TLJ because they thought it was a bad film and not because I particularly disagreed with anything it did. I don't give 2 shits what TLJ did plot wise, I just thought it did it badly. Now I've seen this film and all it's done is undo what TLJ did for seemingly no reason at all (genuinely - why does Rey need to be who she is? You could have done this story without wasting so much bloody time undoing stuff you didn't have to) while also making many of the same failures TLJ did.

Primarily, it fails at feeling like Star Wars. Completely fails. Both films have all these action sequences where they fling a bunch of sights and sounds at me which I recognise as being Star Wars, without actually feeling like it. TLJ at least got better as it went on and in the second half started to nail it, but the opening hour of TLJ is bloody awful, especially the entire first scene. This one doesn't even manage that, every single action sequence is just this shit CGI fest that has absolutely no excitement whatsoever. There's no flow, no kineticism or anything. Shit just blows up and I'm supposed to be excited.

I disliked TLJ because I thought it was a bad film - badly made action sequences, bad dialogue, misfiring humour. And now I dislike this one because it's got badly made action sequences, bad dialogue and awful pacing because it was so obsessed with undoing something that wasn't a problem in the first place. We went from one film that was just badly done in large parts and eyerollingly awful at one or two to a film that's just generically bad and boring.

I'll concede it had one or two good moments such as Han and Ben. And it's the only one of the three that's not a remake of a film in the OT. That's about it.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Yes!

There is also the paradox where as time goes on, more expanded universe shit just keeps piling onto Vader's sins.

People love to comment on thematic resonance of these movies, but fans and the general public mostly want to see people in cool costumes do cool things.

Guilty as charged lol. I liked Kylo just based on the looks before Episode 7 even dropped lol.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
fCD4lhq_d.jpg

Lol

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pleasantly surprised that the panelists on Kind of Funny's Star Wars in Review all liked the movie while acknowledging it has flaws. I liked it as well, while realizing there are problems with the movie. As an end to the saga, I dug it. It's far from the trainwreck people are making it out to be. RJ went overboard subverting Star Wars. J.J. corrected course, but over corrected. That said, as much as the pacing of the movie was breakneck (it felt like two movies in one), it was a fun roller coaster ride IMO. I'm satisfied with it.

Slythe

Oct 26, 2017
You liked it unreservedly? Anything you did t care for?

I don't like anything unreservedly, but I liked it. Your post implicated that anyone who liked it in general were walking in with a desire to worship JJ, which isn't true.

Pacing was rapid and clunky. Palpatine reveal at the beginning was so bombastic it immediately put me in a mindset of fuck it I'm down for whatever. The Palpatine/Rey lineage reveal was clumsy and practically rushed through, which felt anticlimactic. And I think to some extent Finn once again had a weak "arc," and this movie rounded out three straight outings where he didn't do much for me outside of being a great presence and like able personality.

Also, I think the "Poe used to be a spice runner" thing feels so lazy, because I have an ongoing joke with my friend that in this universe you get to be a Jedi, Sith, soldier, bounty hunter or smuggler - no one else lol. So in an effort to give Poe more depth, we literally fall back on the lamest trope imaginable. Not to mention, the Shattered Empire comic made it clear Poe's parents where friends with Leia and in the Rebellion, so he grew up into the resistance... no he was a drug dealer in the middle? Sure, why not.

Even with all those criticisms, I greatly enjoyed the movie and had an awesome time. I think JJ is a goon and not my favorite director in the world, but I'm fine with what he did and think the whole trilogy, despite the seams, was a fun time.

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, yes, having a Kevin Feige-esque figure who was able to shepherd 23 movies - all well-received to varying degrees - to a universally well-received 23-movie-saga conclusion wasn't too much to ask, especially given that this trilogy was just three movies. Just three. That's all they had to do. Marvel did it with two dozen films in a decade. Star Wars's crew didn't because they were constantly changing the themes and messages and plots and characters of the films beat by beat until the end.

This is the thing that gets me the most.
They could not even have a small retreat at some lake where all three directors have a chat and come up with some beats for the overall arch.
Their production pipeline was so crazy from the start that no one had the time to breath or think and it all shows in this last film.
Super fazinating stuff and a great reason why real creativity needs time and a good money man that knows where to push and pull (see also the HOBBIT films).

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
I'm pleasantly surprised that the panelists on Kind of Funny's Star Wars in Review all liked the movie while acknowledging it has flaws. I liked it as well, while realizing there are problems with the movie. As an end to the saga, I dug it. It's far from the trainwreck people are making it out to be. RJ went overboard subverting Star Wars. J.J. corrected course, but over corrected. That said, as much as the pacing of the movie was breakneck (it felt like two movies in one), it was a fun roller coaster ride IMO. I'm satisfied with it.
I was the only one in the office who seemed to not like it. Every time I brought up a thing I didn't like, they all went "Yeah, that was weird," but they still liked it overall. I think that's going to be how it works out for most people. Everyone's going to have the same things they talk about, but for some people it will be something they dislike, and for others it will be something they didn't care about.

Studge

Oct 25, 2017
3PO starts to explain why the memory wipe is required. He says something about Republic Law forbidding the translation but is cut off. Would explain why translator droids are not permitted to translate Sith. Some old Law the republic passed that required droids to be locked out from translating text of the enemy
I don't think anyone is confused as to why he can't do it in the story. I understand why he can't but the entire idea is dumb and rushed. It could have been good if they had given it more time and tried different ways of getting the translation out of him. Having the memory wipe solution as the only real option after trying a bunch of other would have given 3PO's goodbye some actual weight. That and not just restoring his memory right after of course.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Call me biased but I loved it and so did my theatre. Cried a couple of times, even.

The movie tries to do A LOT and it stumbles here and there but I was thoroughly engaged.

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's so clear that JJ doesn't really understand what a character arc is or themes or anything and just writes his stories based on what he thinks will make fans clap in the cinema or whatever.

For better or worse Rian sat down and wrote a character arc for everyone In The Last Jedi and that gave it some depth. People still argue about that movie because there's a lot going on. Rian molded the plot around the characters. Ya know, like an actual movie insteed of a cacophony of toy comercals and ePiC fanSeRvice
Kind of sad to watch Star Wars become a marvel movie but hey.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Totally. Reading the spoilers like 3 months ago helped too.

i didnt read them, it was all just some posters smug posts and stuff.

im sorry, i cant hate on star wars, i simply can't

i will agree the movies are shitty and whatever, but i dont care i like them, and i love them.

(but i will never say things like "actually ROTS is one of the more entertaining star wars movie" tho)

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The few minutes we got of Ben Solo fighting were probably my favorite. That shrug actually had me believing he was Han's kid lol.

My biggest issue with the whole ST is that it just reset the galaxy again. Like we were literally here at this exact moment in terms of galactic affairs at the end of ROTJ. What was the point of all this

giphy.gif

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm starting to feel like I'm in some weird special group of people who disliked TLJ because they thought it was a bad film and not because I particularly disagreed with anything it did. I don't give 2 shits what TLJ did plot wise, I just thought it did it badly. Now I've seen this film and all it's done is undo what TLJ did for seemingly no reason at all (genuinely - why does Rey need to be who she is? You could have done this story without wasting so much bloody time undoing stuff you didn't have to) while also making many of the same failures TLJ did.

Primarily, it fails at feeling like Star Wars. Completely fails. Both films have all these action sequences where they fling a bunch of sights and sounds at me which I recognise as being Star Wars, without actually feeling like it. TLJ at least got better as it went on and in the second half started to nail it, but the opening hour of TLJ is bloody awful, especially the entire first scene. This one doesn't even manage that, every single action sequence is just this shit CGI fest that has absolutely no excitement whatsoever. There's no flow, no kineticism or anything. Shit just blows up and I'm supposed to be excited.

I disliked TLJ because I thought it was a bad film - badly made action sequences, bad dialogue, misfiring humour. And now I dislike this one because it's got badly made action sequences, bad dialogue and awful pacing because it was so obsessed with undoing something that wasn't a problem in the first place. We went from one film that was just badly done in large parts and eyerollingly awful at one or two to a film that's just generically bad and boring.

I'll concede it had one or two good moments such as Han and Ben. And it's the only one of the three that's not a remake of a film in the OT. That's about it.
Honestly I dont think youre that alone. I fall into this category and several other people have expressed the same sentiment. I don't particularly care that this movie was a fuck you to the last jedi, because this movie itself wasn't any good either (in fact I would say its much worse). And unlike TLJ, this movie had not a single interesting thing in its entire run time-with the best stuff being shit it aped from TLJ like the kylo rey dynamic. The only reason its funny that this movie went so far out of its way to spite TLJ is because this movie itself is a dumpster fire and together they tarnish the entire OT saga and render it meaingless. These actors and characters deserved so much better.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
So, yes, having a Kevin Feige-esque figure who was able to shepherd 23 movies - all well-received to varying degrees - to a universally well-received 23-movie-saga conclusion wasn't too much to ask, especially given that this trilogy was just three movies. Just three. That's all they had to do. Marvel did it with two dozen films in a decade. Star Wars's crew didn't because they were constantly changing the themes and messages and plots and characters of the films beat by beat until the end.

That ultimately falls on Kathleen Kennedy and the story group at Lucas.

Let's be honest, Kevin Feige is a diamond. The more these other movies fail, the more we should just stand back and appreciate just how rare it is for what they did and for just how difficult it is to nail this down.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017

Yep, good point. The Last Jedi's ending left many different ways to set up the third movie. It could have been about a rebellion slowly filling up with Force sensitive people, who would have given the plucky outnumbered rebels an edge against the First/Final/Whatever Order. Status quo of the galaxy would have changed as a result, kind of like the birth of X-Men.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017

Star Wars Episode IX - The Quest for More Money

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
I think Star Wars is the Sonic the Hedgehog of movie franchises

The original trilogy was incredibly beloved and merchandised to hell and back. It peaked at 2, and the third one was held back a bit by merchandising but it's still good

The early-to-mid 2000's ones were loved by kids, but critics and fans of the originals were put off by corny dialogue, edgy storylines, weird new characters and technical issues

The 2010's played off the nostalgia for the originals. At first, the back-to-basics approach is met with praise but soon after, people got bored of the surface-level throwbacks and inability to offer anything new or understand why the old stuff was good

Then there's that one dope-as-fuck one that recontextuslises ideas and themes from the old ones and presents them in a fresh new way

Deleted member 11069

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish they would have continued the heal-die cycle.
Ben heals Rey, dies.
Rey wakes up, sees Ben dead, heals him, dies
Ben wakes up, sees Rey is dead, heals her
Rey wakes up, sees Ben dead, heals him, dies
etc etc
Until we are all dust!

Romeo And Juliet but with Force powers!

Oct 28, 2017
It's so clear that JJ doesn't really understand what a character arc is or themes or anything and just writes his stories based on what he thinks will make fans clap in the cinema or whatever.

For better or worse Rian sat down and wrote a character arc for everyone In The Last Jedi and that gave it some depth. People still argue about that movie because there's a lot going on. Rian molded the plot around the characters. Ya know, like an actual movie insteed of a cacophony of toy comercals and ePiC fanSeRvice
Oh, the writing is far worse than the Marvel movies

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Oh, the writing is far worse than the Marvel movies

I still don't understand how Chris Terrio got this job. Did JJ insist on having him? Surely Kennedy could have found someone better to write this script? He wrote Batman v Superman and Justice League, for gods sake, the man should be banned from Hollywood.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anyone is confused as to why he can't do it in the story. I understand why he can't but the entire idea is dumb and rushed. It could have been good if they had given it more time and tried different ways of getting the translation out of him. Having the memory wipe solution as the only real option after trying a bunch of other would have given 3PO's goodbye some actual weight. That and not just restoring his memory right after of course.
I would have liked to see 3Po stuck with like perhaps a memory restore from around after Revenge of the Sith when he is given to the Organa family. He would be back but also lose decades of memories including of all the people he was close too in the OT etc. would be truly tragic

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Qui-Gon's training with a shaman of the Whills was incomplete, so he did not fully merge into the Force (in TCW, he can only communicate as a disembodied voice or set of lights, not as a ghost). Your body only vanishes it you do so. Yoda then became Qui-Gon's apprentice and learned to perfect the technique and taught it to Obi-Wan.

George was adamant that Qui-Gon was the first Jedi to retain his consciousness after death, because the other Jedi were so disconnected from the Living Force. JJ doesn't really care, because he doesn't respect any of George's ideas, which is why we also have a bunch of dead Jedi speaking at the end who never learned how to become ghosts (Mace, Aayla, Luminara, etc.) and why the whole Palpatine plot revolves around a concept (Sith spirits) that goes against George's stance that the Sith did not believe in life after death.

Oct 28, 2017

I think The Force Awakens refutes this but maybe that was Kasdan's influence. The writing in that is a masterclass compared to this.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i mean she was practically dead, until the power of the other jedi helped her rise.

so for me it's not that far fetched 🤷‍♂️
So the full force of and power of the jedi are only strong enough for her to get on her feet and hold up two lightsabers and then let her die?

I mean lol ok. Jedi continue to be jobbers. Kylo got the force life sucked out of him, picked up, thrown into a chasm, climbed and and was fine but somehow Rey with the entire power of the Jedi is only good to defelect lightening back at at emperor which Mace was able to do on his own with prime palpatine.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
Was listening to the Ringer's review.

Can someone confirm that JJ really just had all the black characters stand next to each other in the medal scene?

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Lol I just remembered the SNOKE CLONES. What the fuck was up with that!? Literally a 5 second shot and then never brought up again. This film attempts to explain so much shit that needed no explanation. It's amazing how hard J.J. tried to NOT be like TLJ, but it really doesn't work.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Lol I just remembered the SNOKE CLONES. What the fuck was up with that!? Literally a 5 second shot and then never brought up again. This film attempts to explain so much shit that needed no explanation. It's amazing how hard J.J. tried to NOT be like TLJ, but it really doesn't work.

Why's Snoke head in FA/TLJ look like its been caved in?

Why am I still asking rhetorical questions about this movie?

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is me:
The Empire Strikes Back
A New Hope
The Last Jedi
The Force Awakens
Return of the Jedi
The Rise of Skywalker
Revenge of the Sith
The Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones

For me it's still ahead of all the prequel films and I kind of liked them. So I'm happy.

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I didn't even really like TLJ but JJ could've gone anywhere with this movie because of it, Rian handed that right to him and JJ's uncoordinated ass fumbles.. My god what the fuck lol

Status
Not open for further replies.