• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, I don't get the issue with hyperspace skipping. Like...you're going to try to get away from a pursuit. If they can track you through hyperspace, then this is the kind of shit you're going to get.

the problem is not that, the problem is the falcon dont being able to sustain it. and rey not wanting anything to happen to it because of Han

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Really though, this is just representative of cinema has become. When Star Wars came out, it began a revolution for movie making. It was spark of a creative movement for the movie industry. Movies nowadays almost encourage no creativity at all. Everything is a remake, sequel or a nostalgic grab. That's why it's odd to me that the only one that gets all this shit in this new trilogy is the only one that tried something new.

Ironic that it was the fans of Star Wars that ultimately killed it.
I think there's a (big) division between those who view Star Wars as a piece of film, and those who view it as part of a larger universe, and that's reflected in how people view TLJ.

It's like the cave on Dagobah: you can only see "what you take with you".

Xeos

May 31, 2019
teljke7wns541.jpg

The disrespect. Only way to fix this mess is to establish it as an alternate universe.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
really hope some day this "clear vision, plan, etc etc" shit dies.

the only planned trilogy was the PTs and they were really bad movies.
They actually weren't well-planned, though. That's the point. Lucas was openly admitting he needed more time and to do more drafts on the PT and they were insanely rushed. Some of the behind-the-scene stuff literally has the crew saying Lucas was lost trying to re-edit the films to make them work over and over again, resulting in dozens of hours of actual important information and character moments they had filmed being discarded or cut at the last minute.

But, yes, let's go with a "clear DESTINATION" at least for the movies. For all their faults, we knew exactly what the PT was going to do... and to its credit, it did what it promised to do - destroy the Jedi Order, have Anakin fall to the Dark Side and turn on his mentor, and set the stage for the OT. It didn't do it elegantly, but the finish line never wavered or changed.

What was the point of this trilogy? What was the overall message? What was the ultimately goal when TFA was being made?

Disney has historically been making life hell for the comic and game makers of the Star Wars tie-ins by having created entire Star Wars Continuity Police that oversees everything and their only job is to maintain consistency and canon. They utterly have been failing the one and only job that brain trust was created for.

So, yes, having a Kevin Feige-esque figure who was able to shepherd 23 movies - all well-received to varying degrees - to a universally well-received 23-movie-saga conclusion wasn't too much to ask, especially given that this trilogy was just three movies. Just three. That's all they had to do. Marvel did it with two dozen films in a decade. Star Wars's crew didn't because they were constantly changing the themes and messages and plots and characters of the films beat by beat until the end.

Buddy1103

Jan 8, 2019
anyone else felt like at the end they tried to have a "i am iron man" type of line? was kinda weird if they did that intentionally

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
But her parents were Palpatines and gave their lives to save her. Great way to honor them, throw their name away to take the name of people you've known very briefly.

They can't save that name lol. Anyways add to that with Ben dead, the SkyWalker line is pretty much defunct so might as well take it.

Just think of it as some alternate timeline where Luke and Leia were not siblings and had Rey =P

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They actually weren't well-planned, though. That's the point. Lucas was openly admitting he needed more time and to do more drafts on the PT and they were insanely rushed. Some of the behind-the-scene stuff literally has the crew saying Lucas was lost trying to re-edit the films to make them work over and over again, resulting in dozens of hours of actual important information and character moments they had filmed being discarded or cut at the last minute.

But, yes, let's go with a "clear DESTINATION" at least for the movies. For all their faults, we knew exactly what the PT was going to do... and to its credit, it did what it promised to do - destroy the Jedi Order, have Anakin fall to the Dark Side and turn on his mentor, and set the stage for the OT. It didn't do it elegantly, but the finish line never wavered or changed.

What was the point of this trilogy? What was the overall message? What was the ultimately goal when TFA was being made?

Disney has historically been making life hell for the comic and game makers of the Star Wars tie-ins by having created entire Star Wars Continuity Police that oversees everything and their only job is to maintain consistency and canon. They utterly have been failing the one and only job that brain trust was created for.

So, yes, having a Kevin Feige-esque figure who was able to shepherd 23 movies - all well-received to varying degrees - to a universally well-received 23-movie-saga conclusion wasn't too much to ask, especially given that this trilogy was just three movies. Just three. That's all they had to do. Marvel did it with two dozen films in a decade. Star Wars's crew didn't because they were constantly changing the themes and messages and plots and characters of the films beat by beat until the end.
Exactly.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This is the thing that broke me when someone pointed it out.

The Jedi and Sith are this myth Han Solo had to confirm to Rey and Finn.

Luke talks about how the Jedi are deified because they know so little about them.

But this fucking resistance Red Shirt know all about Siths, their tech and their planet. Sith is a language you program droids with, there's laws made to prevent Sith ideas to spread, and everyone knows that if you speak Sith you're shady...

I CAN'T.
He was a Sith weeaboo

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I noticed they seem to be a lot more strict with spinoffs that more people are likely to not even see than they are the mainline movies.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017

so basically, #firekathleenkennedy ?

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Well said.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
No TFA started that with hyperdrive out of a hangar, a non Jedi pilot dropping out of hyperspace between a shield and a planet, and ships flying around in hyperspace waiting for a message to drop out
I should have been more clear and not have referenced the entire post. I was thinking more about the Holdo maneuver and how I felt immediately after it happened -that any excuse to why it couldn't happen again in future movies would feel cheap. It was a moment where it felt like the writer cheated to service their version of their story without thinking about how it would kneecap any future space conflict.
I know a lot of movies break their own rules in order to tell their story, but that specific moment felt particularly egregious to me. It didn't help that it was the conclusion of several different threads that I couldn't buy into (Poe's mutiny and how he was treated afterward, the reasoning for why the bad dudes couldn't take out their particular ship-making them look incompetent in the process, and the fact that the slow chase took up most of the running time of the movie)

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018

Yea, there is also a lot of this in the film, so much stuff thrown out that I don't know how people are going to get the references (let alone emotionally react to them) unless they're completely read up on the universe heading in. It's only 3 films ffs it's not like there are 1817 films and tidbits to keep track of like Marvel

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, another bit of slight praise for this dumpster fire of a movie: the scenes of oppression on Hideo Kojima's planet gave context to the entire war, and were much-needed.

Of course all this shit should have been in the first damn movie of the trilogy to depict who the First Order were, where they came from, how powerful they were and what the consequences of them winning would be. Instead we just got Empire visual iconography, and a Death Star the size of a planet blowing up so many damn planets it didn't register with the viewer at all. It's interesting how in A New Hope one planet we've never visited is destroyed, but we can emphasize with Leia. JJ blows up several planets and it just feels meaningless.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of Kojima when I heard that planet's name.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
so basically, #firekathleenkennedy ?
I'd bet Iger is more the cause of the problem than Kennedy. He designed this schedule, including Solo and Rogue One. Without the need to get Epix out this year, they could have fired Trevorrow and either waited for Johnson to finish Knives Out or find someone that they could really work with to make a stronger screenplay. Heck, they could have even tossed the two-movie Harry Potter/Hunger Games/Avengers-style idea out there for a few years in the distance.

Kennedy made some mistakes here, but she was working within a framework that really didn't allow stopping to breathe at all.

WonkyPanda

Oct 26, 2017
All 3 of the Resistance Broadcast podcast peeps liked to love the movie it seems. Although, sounded like 2 of them were kind of meh on it first viewing.

Oct 25, 2017
Hey
Did you ever want to watch Lando sitting alone looking around desperately for someone he recognizes as the existential dread falls upon him that everyone he knows is dead

This is the finale for you!

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
The Kylo Ren tie in comic retconned Kylo destroying the temple to try and make him look like a less of a mass murderer for this movie

Turns out Lightning conveniently hit the temple the very same night he turned.

This all the proof you need to know what level of pllaning the plot of this trilogy had

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just realized, whenever Palps does force lightning...it never really works out for him

Man, remember back when Palpy using force lighting in RotJ was this awesome, terrifying moment that demonstrated the scope of his powers and what he was capable of doing with the Dark Side?

Then came the EU and suddenly everyone and their mother used force lighting. Even Luke used it a couple times.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
The Kylo Ren tie in comic retconned Kylo destroying the temple to try and make him look like a less of a mass murderer for this movie

This all the proof you need to know what level of pllaning the plot of this trilogy had
I was excited for this comic but that and Katharine Hepburn Snoke ruined it.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How does long range communication work in Star Wars? Lando and Chewie had to fly the Falcon somewhere to 'get help', and during the end battle Poe remarks that 'the whole galaxy is fighting back' and then cuts to the other places people have risen up against the First Order.

So are there some sorts of communication hubs for long range dispersal of messages? Or does it only make sense when it's convenient to the plot?

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018

Seriously? Is there more new "supplemental" canon nonsense like this in the new comics?

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
I think the larger issue is Kathleen isn't really the visionary here. An incredible producer and collaborator, but they tossed Lucas's stuff and brought in external teams. I think she's done a pretty good job all things considered as all five movies feel like Star Wars and hit the right production values, were mostly on time etc, and hindsight is 20/20.

For a long time the filmmakers have always sort of overruled any EU canon, so the story group is at the mercy of those filmmakers. Rian worked closely with them, but it appears JJ didn't really (was the Pablo letterboxed account ever validated?) - and did most of the work inside of Bad Robot.

It's also interesting so much of TFA and ROTS leaked while TLJ mostly stayed under wraps by comparison. Bad Robot is a leaky ship, it seems

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hey
Did you ever want to watch Lando sitting alone looking around desperately for someone he recognizes as the existential dread falls upon him that everyone he knows is dead

This is the finale for you!
Nah, because reformed Stormtrooper #14942 is there.
The woman next to me said to her guy "she's his daughter!" in that very "they must all know each and be related" moment.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Thanks for reminding me why I always have and always will treat anything not in the films as non- canon.

Status
Not open for further replies.