• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just walked out and I think I got a headache from all this spin. Best thing was the Hobbit rebel knowing about sith and their cloning. Guess it was on the Galaxy internet.

Oct 28, 2017
If you want to play the one thing leads to another game we will.

JJ Abrams "I'm a 2 bit hack that can't write anything original and like most modern day writers have to piggy back on the past instead of coming up with my own story. How should I write the Force Awakens? I know! I will piggy back off the OT with a million nostalgic references and I'll use them to cover up the fact that I can't write anything interesting about the new characters. Oh and I'll leave 100 or so mystery boxes open in the process. Mwahahaha...those dumb ass fans will never realize that I've tricked them into thinking this movie was great. I'll leave it to the next guy to make up for my lack of anything creative"

JJ is a trash director. He started all of this bullshit. Just because Rian Johnson didn't close those mystery boxes the way you wanted, does not mean he got it wrong. Those boxes should not have been left open to begin with. JJ hooked you on those and nostalgia. Period. He tried it again in this film and got exposed.

Really though, this is just representative of cinema has become. When Star Wars came out, it began a revolution for movie making. It was spark of a creative movement for the movie industry. Movies nowadays almost encourage no creativity at all. Everything is a remake, sequel or a nostalgic grab. That's why it's odd to me that the only one that gets all this shit in this new trilogy is the only one that tried something new.

Ironic that it was the fans of Star Wars that ultimately killed it.

goddamn

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
If we had an Episode IX and X to end things the first part would have been a good opportunity to focus on Rey vs the Knights.

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I was surprised at how much I ended up enjoying the chasing Macguffin half of this movie, especially infiltrating Ren's Destroyer, because as it veered more towards Palpatine and Rey and that arc the movie was just falling apart for me.

And my god is the Palpatine stuff is so aggressively dumb and bad especially taking TLJ and Snoke into context. The movie doesn't even try to build to it. I love how the crawl is like "Fuck it, yeah there's a Palpatine signal!"

My other big problem is holy hell this movie moves like Abrams only had a weekend to shoot and edit it. I understand wanting to hit the ground running but this movie barely breathes if ever.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
KotOR incoming.

God I wonder how people would react to an adaptation of KotOR 2. If TLJ is considered critical of Star Wars lore, that game basically tells it to fuck right off.
Yeah I actually think KOTOR2 does it a lot better too and I enjoyed TLJ quite a bit.

KOTOR 1 and 2 are my all time fav stories in the franchise.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Huh? Vader froze Han. Boba stood by & freaked out because he wouldn't collect his bounty if Han died. Fett is a glorified chump who does little of consequence.
Yeah but didn't he use stuff with the help of Boba and then obviously Boba transported him

Which is more that can be said about Phasma (was placed in the garbage and then fell out of a ship) and Knights of Ren (all just stood around and died)

Also it's funny that the Knights of Ren would side with Palpy over their namesake

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
So we have Mando left and then Star Wars is going to sleep for a bit right? Next big thing will be the Obiwan series? It just seems the ending to this film left traces of things to look forward too. Though with the Sith completely gone, I guess we'll have someone new come along to play pretend with future movies?

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Why was Rey all the jedi? Palatine being all the Sith kinda makes sense.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
I mean, if we got more from Palpatine, then yeah, sure, but we got like few seconds of him, so it doesnt really matter what he wanted, cause we didnt have enough time to get invested into his story (in the new movies).

the new movies will be far into the past or the future, won't have anything to do with current actors anyway. Totally diff story and adventure

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So we have Mando left and then Star Wars is going to sleep for a bit right? Next big thing will be the Obiwan series? It just seems the ending to this film left traces of things to look forward too. Though with the Sith completely gone, I guess we'll have someone new come along to play pretend with future movies?

They've proven they're completely incapable of telling new stories, so don't worry. We'll see more Sith doing the same shit over and over and over again until we're all dead.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
So I decided to sneak into cats after watching star wars and I now believe TROS is a 10/10

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
The Last Jedi is not KOTOR2. They both may deconstruct Star Wars, but they do so in a different way. It is not odd that many people like one but hate the other.

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
I see a lot of people complaining about the Holdo maneuver and why couldn't they just use it again and again and how it makes no sense that they wouldn't just make all their weapons hyper drive ships. I feel like this shouldn't need to be spelled out for anyone but it's called money. Remember episode one the phantom menace when they spent half the film just trying to get enough money to buy some parts to fix a hyperdrive? Hyperdrives are clearly expensive so you can't just make a bunch of hyper drives with limited funds to throw them away as one time use weapons, the resistance clearly isn't rich. Everyone likes to get hyper analytical and pretend to be smarter than the professional writers to prove whatever BS point they are trying to make about why they can't enjoy a simple fun space opera but nobody every actually thinks thru their invented "plotholes". Just because things go right over your head doesn't make a movie the worst thing ever.

In Rogue One a Corvette goes to Hyperspeed and just bounces off Devastator.

It requires specific conditions, and the Raddus also had a special experimental shield technology that played a part in it working too

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Despite the movie having more than a few jokes, the biggest laugh in the theatre came from "I'M THE SPY!", which was definitely not a line played for comedy.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
They've proven they're completely incapable of telling new stories, so don't worry. We'll see more Sith doing the same shit over and over and over again until we're all dead.
I don't understand people who want KOTOR adaptations when those games already exist and they're great. Plus the first game's twist works much better in an interactive format and to convert them to movies you'd have to cut out a ton of dialog and worldbuilding and companion stuff.
Yes, of course I caught that, but did Snoke know that he was a clone thing, or that Sheev created him/was still alive? Did anyone else know all that time?
I was under the impression he was basically just Sheev's voice and had no agency or thoughts of his own

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Also Rian Johnson:

Rian: " Here, lets make Rey and Kylo romance happens because I ship them. Oh, and I'll have a scene where he's shirtless and Rey acknowledges his body because you know, that's hot.

Also Rian: Instead of keeping Luke alive and having him develop an actual mentor relationship with Rey, I'll have him do a corny matrix dodge as an illusion ghost and then have him die off on a rock in some lame artys way because SuBVeRt EXpECtAtiOnS.

Angry people: "OH MY GOD!! THIS REYLO SHIT IS DISGUSTING!!! SHE FELL IN LOVE WITH A SPACE NAZI!!! FUCK YOU ABRAMS!!!!

Also angry people: " REY SKYWALKER?!!!! SHE ONLY KNEW LUKE FOR LIKE 3 DAYS!!!! JJ IS TRASH!!!!

Rian Johnson ruined this trilogy. No matter how hard people try to spin it, The Last Jedi was trash and ROS is the result of it.
TLJ hinting at Reylo being a "thing" was literally never an actual issue, the fact that Rey finds herself allured by the dark side and to him in general is classic dark side temptation tactics. He's preying on her insecurities and weakness; hell if you want to go the extra mile you could arguably draw parallels between real sociopolitical psychological warfare where a lot of people swept up by destructive rhetoric such as alt-right ideology (given that both The First Order and The Empire were never subtle with what they were analogous to) will often do so by crushing your sense of self-worth first to make your side seem like the appealing answer. Rey realized before it was too late what he was trying to do. She wasn't attracted to Kylo because he was handsome or some shit, she was into him because she thought he could make her entire life "make sense".

It was a "gross" pairup because that was exactly the point of it, you weren't supposed to root for it to happen. Obviously a point that whizzed passed JJ's head, seems like it whizzed passed yours too though given the weak straw man at play.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Question: Do you think Rey will re-start the Jedi Order or make her own group...the Skywalkers (i could totally see that happening)

Kingasta

Avenger
Jan 4, 2018
Don't forget the 7th season of The Clone Wars.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand people who want KOTOR adaptations when those games already exist and they're great. Plus the first game's twist works much better in an interactive format and to convert them to movies you'd have to cut out a ton of dialog and worldbuilding and companion stuff.

Pretty much. What's the point in Star Wars still being made if all we're gonna get it just "here's an old story again but with a new actor in it"?

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Just walked out and I think I got a headache from all this spin. Best thing was the Hobbit rebel knowing about sith and their cloning. Guess it was on the Galaxy internet.

This is the thing that broke me when someone pointed it out.

The Jedi and Sith are this myth Han Solo had to confirm to Rey and Finn.

Luke talks about how the Jedi are deified because they know so little about them.

But this fucking resistance Red Shirt know all about Siths, their tech and their planet. Sith is a language you program droids with, there's laws made to prevent Sith ideas to spread, and everyone knows that if you speak Sith you're shady...

I CAN'T.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
In Rogue One a Corvette goes to Hyperspeed and just bounces off Devastator.

It requires specific conditions, and the Raddus also had a special experimental shield technology that played a part in it working too

Holdo used a massive capital ship, it shouldn't really require a big explanation. The Resistance didn't have ships capable of doing that move in this film.

Oct 26, 2017
It had laser sabers and spaceships, 10/10!

Joking.

I guess all the negative opinions and reviews I read in the last days served for something. My expectations were so low that I thought it wasn't so bad? Not really good overall, but decent enough if you turn off your brain.
The interpretation, saber fights and on-ground action, special effects, and most of dialogue of most scenes was good. The only problem? Oh yeah, lots of key points of the entire plot. Ops. Hence the 'if you turn off your brain' part. What I want to express is that each individual scene was enjoyable by itself, as the elements mentioned before were good enough, at least if you don't think in what all formed as a whole.
The bad part starts, funnily enough, as soon as the text starts scrolling. So from second zero. SPOILERS from this point onwards.

As everybody knew it, Emperor Palps come back again. And not like a ghost, no, which is what I I expected (hoped?), a dark spirit manipulating events to come back to life. The creative bankruptcy of JJ Abrams and company shown in Ep VII continues here. But it's even worse, because as super important key plot point like that is 'spoiled' to us in the fucking scrolling text. A dozen of Star Wars movies and this is the first time one of the films makes the stupidity of telling the audience something that important there, instead of showing it.
There are vague mentions of dark sorceries and forbidden cloning but it's never fully (or partially) explained how they hell did survive RotJ. The films is smart enough to choose to remain dumb in plot holes like that. Same as from where they built and manned a huuge super fleet (with each individual ship being able to destroy planets!). And why if they had a fleet they didn't use it before, but waited all this time.
They explained one thing though, Palps was behind Snooke creation (boooring).

TLJ chose to give the status quo a fair shake with respect the traditionalism of the previous film, TFA, but TROS goes all the way to change/ignore so many things of the previous film (TLJ) that it almost seem they have made it so out of spite. It's like Abrams didn't like the direction of TLJ as his plans for it would have been different, so he chooses to ignore how that film ended and start his in a different way, using the scrolling text as his own starting point of the plot. So the rebellion has grown again instead of being a dozen guys in the Millennium Falcon, the knights of Ren appear, Ren reforges the helmet, and oh yeah, Rey parents were IMPORTANT. Fuck you Rian Johnson, he seems to screen while directing this.

The other big problem of the plot is two thirds of the film being a mcguffin chase. Come on, you don't use that type of 'whatever' plot device for the end of a trilogy, you are supposed to build upon all the what happened in the last two films. Not here.
As part of this mcguffin chase, there is a few of too many cuts and scene jumps in this film, although overall isn't a big problem, there are issues with bigger priority here.

An element that irked me is how they bait some character's death. Oh look we see Chewie captured and being transported in a specific ship, and then ship blows up! Chewie is dead noooo! No wait, he was in a second, identical transport ship despite nor the characters nor the audience seeing it.
Or when they blew up the planet, it was supposed to be a tragic moment the audience connects to, because it was the planet the main characters visited before and we get to know a little a woman from Poe's past. And she specifically had given her only way out of the planet with the captain's medallion, implying she has been killed later in the planetary explosion. Well no, the good guys are immortal, I guess.

One thing I liked is how the predictable Kylo Ren's redemption is done not at the end of the movie (like in RoTJ) but before, and he is the one that goes to save Rey. Although I liked just that decision, other adjacent decisions like him having to die to save Rey were super typical, it's a way to avoid having a previously bad guy around, with the excuse of 'cosmic karma'.

What else to add? Well, we had previously the impression that Rey was the real MC and Finn and Poe were just secondary characters, and yep, that's the true, the trilogy finished and nothing important happened with them. Poe is made general because he is a named character, not because he had shown his character has grown or he deserved it, and Finn is… Finn.
Oh yeah, I guess Lando appears, says some tropes about family and hope, does a 'yehaaw' for nostalgia while piloting again the Falcon. The only (good) surprise of the film was Harrison Ford appearing again and even doing it well for the few seconds he appeared.

I will add one thing in the non-spoilery part: I disliked the space fights. They have all this money to make great visual effects, and they just put some boring rebel ships firing at big destroyers shots. There is no emotion, no visual storytelling in them. It's just background noise for the real plot, instead of being part of it. They feel they are there just because it's obligatory for being a Star Wars Hollywood movie. RoTJ is still the king with much more outdated tech, as the action flowed well and weaved seamlessly with the rest of scenes, and Rogue One the only one of the new wave that got it well done. If you are going to put action in your film, you have to give it some thought, don't bother otherwise.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Just finished.

This review for "Cats" sums it up.

1mjrk.jpg

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Yeah I actually think KOTOR2 does it a lot better too and I enjoyed TLJ quite a bit.

KOTOR 1 and 2 are my all time fav stories in the franchise.
Same here. They're probably my favorite pieces of Star Wars media in general.

That show has such potential to be something new. It could be an exploration of a guy who watched everything he believed and dedicated his life to crumble into failure and death, and how he reacts to that. I hope Disney has the stones to actually touch on that kind of stuff. Mando is alright but it still feels so glossy and meaningless most of the time. The only time I felt any sort of real tension in the action was in episode 3.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, of course I caught that, but did Snoke know that he was a clone thing, or that Sheev created him/was still alive? Did anyone else know all that time?
I am guessing Snoke was a real person that Palpatine took control of then did what he had to do as far as clones etc. I am speculating the ring Snoke wore played a factor in how he was controlled. Since it was cut from stone from Vaders castle on Mustafar.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Now that we know Snoke was literally just a puppet for Palps, I'm deeply enjoying the mental image of him crip walking into his Sith throne room where Rey is waiting for him as this plays

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
I feel like TLJ took a lot of liberty with changing how the rules work in Star Wars to "cool moments" and to service their particular story without thinking/giving a shit about how they would explain it in future movies/tv shows/books etc. I know it's not all supposed to be taken seriously, but it feels like poor writing to me.

No TFA started that with hyperdrive out of a hangar, a non Jedi pilot dropping out of hyperspace between a shield and a planet, and ships flying around in hyperspace waiting for a message to drop out

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I've never been more ambivalent about a film in a long time, I'll think of something I like then immediately think of something I didn't and truly don't care one way or the other how people feel. It's actually kind of liberating? Ha ha

It definitely is that analogy someone used that it is kids playing with their action figures, then given a blank piece of paper and hundreds of millions of dollars by Disney and told to make a film.

And then they decide to put it on for their parents and their parents all look at each other during like what in the world is going on ... but then halfway or so through they say you know what they're trying to make us happy with simple stuff they think is really ,really cool and God bless their enthusiasm so let's just go with it.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Look.

That film wasn't great... but I'll be damned if I didn't have fun.

FAN SERVICE?

HAVE ANOTHER 196537885 HELPINGS!

DON'T MIND IF I DO!

Status
Not open for further replies.