• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Moreso that Kylo is a character who children have on their lunch boxes, dress up as for Halloween, have multiple action figures of.

Star Wars is a family friendly series and I don't know how anyone believed that the final Skywalker would end up being evil and destroying the family name. What an awful conclusion to the Skywalker saga. He got redeemed in the best way possible. He finally decided to be good and realized he needs to own up for his sins and sacrificed himself so Rey can live on.

Seriously. People who think otherwise are being silly.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
A slight correction. George Lucas liked the bestselling Dark Empire, the comic about Palp´s 2.0 and his clones. He wanted Luke to go bad which he did for a hot second and... The similarities to ep. 9 are numerous and there is all sort of Chosen One stuff within. It were simply other SW authors who weren´t fond of it.

I remember that George´s plan for Ep. 7 had Endor/the 2nd Death Star and he wanted to bring back The Emperor or an at east an evil Vader force ghost in some form. JJ had no workable script and was brought in last minute for 9 so those files and wikia articles on SW Legends had to suffice. Top kek.

Here are the things we for sure about the original ep.7 and the Lucas material Disney has in their files:

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
The way the final celebration scene was shot, strongly makes me feel there exists multiple cuts of those scenes and focus testing ending it the way they did.

Everyone hugging and kissing and then the camera following Finn around searching with a smile on his face, Rey appearing in the crowd, seeing him, lighting up... he runs to her and suddenly Poe shows up out of no where for a triple hug.

You know they shot Finn and her hugging and probably a kiss, where he tells her he's in love with her, which is what he was going to say earlier. Money on that existing. Probably tested poorly since she just kissed Ben the scene before, so they netted out with the triple friend "feel good" hug.

And they have the "I can use the force" they showed several times in the movie as the "fall back" to what Finn was going to tell her. Which is fine....

But always awkward and a bit of a bummer how they dance around connecting these two or not. Even TLJ played with it, with Rey's "message" for Finn that she can't find the words to say that Chewie gives her so the audience is still unclear.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
He wouldn't be the final Skywalker though. Rey could still take the name, which sends a positive message that you aren't defined by your birth family.
TLJ already had that message and then JJ was like "nah Rey is only so powerful because she's a Palpatine"

😑

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i thought that the dudes there with palpatine at end were, "past siths" but it seems were "sith loyalists" wher ethe fuck did they come from?

Kazen

May 31, 2019
One scene in particular that baffles me and just proves how terrible the pacing and script was done is when Rey gives the lightsaber back to Leia only to get it 5 seconds later with a "I've learned what I had to learn" theme around it. So lazy, everything in the first 45 minutes was so terribly lazy and rushed. Terrible movie overall imo.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Rian meant for Kylo to be redeemed but he definitely wrote J.J. an out in case he wanted to with:

original.gif

Rian said something along the lines of if Vader could be redeemed, who did way worse things, than Kylo could easily be redeemed.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Also can't get over how Palpatine lightning storm was just a super magnet to the ships it touched whereas Rey's lightning fucking blew up a ship just an hour ago.

The only thing he actually destroyed with his lightning was himself.

DodgeAnon

Oct 25, 2017
One of my only complaints is that all the new characters/designs etc weren't very well utilised really. I mean the Jet troopers were shown for about 2 minutes, as were the red sith troopers.

The Knights of the Ren were quite pointless and D-O didn't have as big an impact as BB-8.

That, and there weren't many of those typical "badass" Star Wars scenes or moments sadly.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Also can't get over how Palpatine lightning storm was just a super magnet to the ships it touched whereas Rey's lightning fucking blew up a ship just an hour ago.

The only thing he actually destroyed with his lightning was himself.
Can't have consequences in your final movie of the trilogy apparently

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Did he buy it or otherwise have it made?

I got the impression that he and his minions conjured that fleet.
My point was that Palpatine could destroy an entire fleet by himself so either Luke is a slacker or JJ is a hack.

The movie breaks all of TFA though. Why have Starkiller when you have a fleet of mobile ships with the same power?

The Driver

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I also liked how this movie didn't have the balls to stick to any of the "consequences" of its own plot on 3 (!) different occasions, Chewie, C3PO's memory, and the power ranger chick on Kimji all get undone like 10 minutes after they get introduced lmaooooo.

If Fisher hadn't passed or they had more footage of her I don't know if she would have been out either necessarily geezzzz.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Also love how the star destroyers above other planets were just magically destroyed at the end lol

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
As the main threat? No, it doesn't work.
To be honest, Kylo was threatening in his final scene in TLJ than ever Palpatine in ROS, because you knew shit would go down and Luke had to die to stop him. Kylo worked when we he exploited Rey's vulnerability about her parents and took over the first order, and all that power led by one angry young had loads of potential for destruction. He didn't need to over match the heroes to be threat, his rage was dangerous. Maybe books show what kind of leader Kylo is. I really though there would be a good few scenes showing Hux and Kylo making their own territories of the first order.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Rian said something along the lines of if Vader could be redeemed, who did way worse things, than Kylo could easily be redeemed.
Well, if Vader can be redeemed, anyone can but The Last Jedi ended with Kylo throwing aside Rey's offer and finally accepting his role as the great big bad.

But as it is, I'm not upset with what they did with Ben here.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I also liked how this movie didn't have the balls to stick to any of the "consequences" of its own plot on 3 (!) different occasions, Chewie, C3PO's memory, and the power ranger chick on Kimji all get undone like 10 minutes after they get introduced lmaooooo.

If Fisher hadn't passed or they had more footage of her I don't know if she would have been out either necessarily geezzzz.
Also Palpatine doesn't kill anyone with his lightning storm except for a few extras lol

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
The whole film is the conclusion of "interference from execs". Just look at the parade of fired directors so far:
This might explain a lot more than we realize. It's possible that risk and death was neutered to keep selling toys. It really can be that simple.

My point was that Palpatine could destroy an entire fleet by himself so either Luke is a slacker or JJ is a hack.
Well strictly speaking, Palps couldn't destroy the fleet until he was able to siphon all that power off of Kylo and Rey and fully come back to life or w/e.

The movie breaks all of TFA though. Why have Starkiller when you have a fleet of mobile ships with the same power?
As for Starkiller base...yea. Once you introduce Palps as the man pulling the strings behind the former Supreme Leader and the First Order rather than Snoke being an independent Sith doing his own thing, the question must be asked. Why wouldn't Palps give him a few of those fancy Star Destroyers? I couldn't say. You can't even use the "different director" excuse, you know? It's just weird. Maybe...yea idunno.

I was about to throw out a convoluted idea about Palps using the FO as a front while his true plans were set in motion on the Sith homeworld. I guess it kinda has to be that.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, Kylo was threatening in his final scene in TLJ than ever Palpatine in ROS, because you knew shit would go down and Luke had to die to stop him. Kylo worked when we he exploited Rey's vulnerability about her parents and took over the first order, and all that power led by one angry young had loads of potential for destruction. He didn't need to over match the heroes to be threat, his rage was dangerous. Maybe books show what kind of leader Kylo is. I really though there would be a good few scenes showing Hux and Kylo making their own territories of the first order.

He wasn't at all. Luke made an absolute fool of Kylo.

Kylo Ren isn't supposed to be this super badass threat. He's not Vader, he's not Palpatine, he's not even Tarkin. He's just a young guy in way over his head.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
TLJ ends with him becoming the leader. We don't know that "he's not a leader" because this movie explore that idea at all, and immediately supplants him as the leader by bringing back Palpatine from the jump.

Yes Rey beat him before. So what? Tension doesn't have to rely entirely on dueling power levels. Rey and Kylo have conflicted feelings about each other, so whether one is actually stronger than the other would not really need to be the crux of that battle. And it seems silly to argue that Rey beating Kylo before removes any tension for this movie when the final battle here just comes down to killing someone who was already killed before.
No kidding. And considering the amount of trinkets and half thought out mcguffins employed in this movie they could have just say he found an ancient sith medallion that gave him unlimited power or literally any other excuse you could think up off the top of your head to satisfy simple minded people who think every conflict in this franchise should just be 'who can fight better with the laser swords' lol

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Also love how the star destroyers above other planets were just magically destroyed at the end lol

I was under the impression that they were attacked by the rising rebellion (similar to the size/one that saved Poe at the end)... to wrap up the loose end (poorly) of the First Order that was not with Palpatine's fleet but still floating around.

Status
Not open for further replies.