• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Also lol at the bullshit "oh if you kill me you'll absorb all of the sith spirit/essence and you'll be instantly evil" bs from Palpy as to why Rey couldn't just stab him

Also "how do we blow these ships up"

"If we shoot the planet crackers they might blow up"

"And what if they don't?"

"🤷‍♂️"

Well it's a good thing that worked. Also... why did they need a ground team to shoot a satellite dish/comm tower that looked like it was in an ocean? They had ships with lasers and bombs couldn't they have just... shot it
was thinking the same the whole time lol

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
If Palpatine can EMP the entire sky with his hands I'm sure Luke could have find something a lot o
cooler than standing there, having a little duel, and dying. At least fly or some shit.

I dunno, but it's true that Palpy was stupidly OP in here... also stupidly stupid too, considering how he died.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The way I see it, there's bound to be loads of people who are horny for space wizards. The Jedi can't fuck and there are only ever two Sith at a time. And for the longest time the only other Sith was a lovesick cyborg who literally can't get naked without dying and is robotic from the waist down.

so my question to you is: who didn't fuck Palpatine?
Why would Palpatine want children who would threaten his rule

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I'm baffled by the fact that it feels like they coordinated the Baby Yoda healing to be, I dunno, proof that Force healing exists? It feels like security to avoid complaints like the ones about the TLJ Force powers. "What, a girl can't do that! Wait, what? The baby alien did it in this week's TV show? Oh okay, makes sense now."

It feels like the worst fans are being catered to right now and it makes me worry about the future of this series that I love
We see Obi-Wan using it on Luke in ANH (albeit a minor version of it) too but most people have probably forgotten about that.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
I'm hoping on my second viewing I can pick up on some things without being so distracted by my WTFs throughout the movie the first time around.

I will probably appreciate the visuals a lot more since I already loved them the first time.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Yooo that part in the Mandalorian where Baby Yoda healed Carl came right in the nick of time

I would've been sooo lost otherwise.
Haha Mando did a lot of heavy lifting for this movie in that regard.
Exactly, the only problem is that going that route was a mistake imo.

Kylo Ren is a conflicted character who's in way over his head. Making him a credible main threat goes against what we know of Kylo as a character, and would make a redemption arc impossible.

And whether you like it nor, Kylo Ren getting redeemed was always in the cards.
You're acting like JJ had no choice here. A conflicted character who's in way over his head sounds like an interesting direction for a villain! But JJ can't see past copying the Vader/Palpatine dynamic of ROTJ so he skips that whole idea entirely.

I'm not saying the only good way this story could end is with Rey vs. an irredeemable Supreme Leader Kylo Ren. All I'm saying it is was an interesting setup and a relatively bold deviation from OT's dynamic, and that JJ chose to respond to it by sidestepping it altogether in favor of replicating the same plot beats from ROTJ was super lazy. I am sure there has to be more than just this one way to end the movie with a Ben redemption.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure I agree but you were the one who quoted me haha

I just can't help myself lol I need to ignore this thread again...I think the theme of the ST is you can't please everyone so might as well just make TLJ because you can't win by pandering to fans and you can't win by doing something new.

Also don't wait till Danielle Radcliffe and Emma Watson are retirement age to do a Harry Potter ST like they did here where everyone is too old to do stunts.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
so my question to you is: who didn't fuck Palpatine?

11b5109e1ba91c55d56dd85c84c39278.jpg

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I dunno, but it's true that Palpy was stupidly OP in here... also stupidly stupid too, considering how he died.
He could have just. Pushed her off. Instead he kept using lightning until he fried his own face. WAIT A MINUTE

main-qimg-a20013162fd400e03141a4961dbf2b82

It's like poetry. It rhymes.

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing that people would put this movie above TLJ.

Like, I know, opinions, but that movie had way more to say and was executed way better. I literally got nothing out of this movie. It was such a mess.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

You're acting like JJ had no choice here. A conflicted character who's in way over his head sounds like an interesting direction for a villain! But JJ can't see past copying the Vader/Palpatine dynamic of ROTJ so he skips that whole idea entirely.

I'm not saying the only good way this story could end is with Rey vs. an irredeemable Supreme Leader Kylo Ren. All I'm saying it is was an interesting setup and a relatively bold deviation from OT's dynamic, and that JJ chose to respond to it by sidestepping it altogether in favor of replicating the same plot beats from ROTJ was super lazy. I am sure there has to be more than just this one way to end the movie with a Ben redemption.

it is really weird to just say "it wouldnt work"

a lot of things do not work on TROS and they still did them.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
What I liked:

-Finn/Rose romance subplot almost nowhere to be seen
-Finn actually playing an important role
-Cool force shit happened, Palpatine lightning show was nice

What I didn't like:
-The movie itself
-Ren/Rey kissing at the end and then Ren immediately dropping dead, like this dude killed SO MANY people you knew and worked with or support and you kiss him!?
-At that stuff with the dagger felt so fucking dumb and pointless because it ended up being "Oh let's just take the one Ren has."
-LOOK WE'VE SECRETLY BUILT THOUSANDS OF STAR DESTROYERS, ON THIS SECRET PLANET THAT'S HARD TO GET TO, WITH FULL CREWS THAT NOBODY KNEW ABOUT
-ALSO THESE SHIPS CAN ONLY GET OFF THE PLANET IN THIS HYPER SPECIFIC WAY
-Rey being Palpatine's granddaughter is just fucking wat, man if there were hints at this shit they fucking flew over my head
-All those ship just deciding to show up for this battle when they just skipped the last one and have even LESS reason to be there now

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think Rian meant for Kylo to be redeemed but he definitely wrote J.J. an out in case he wanted to with:

original.gif

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
So now we know that the X-Wing is functional, why didn't Luke just take that to Crait instead of force projecting himself there and ending up dying because of it in TLJ.

Seems like that death was pretty avoidable.
Because the first order would have killed him and the resistance wouldn't have had time to escape. remember the scene where they shot him with 10,000 lasers and he still lived? Yah.

The whole point was misdirection to buy them enough time to escape.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
It wasn't depicted well enough visually, and like I said before, there should have been a few more stages to the battle though obviously not enough to make it too drawn out. It goes by way too quick and quite simply looks like she is only using the sabers to counter against the lightning. There aren't any clear visual ques that she has the full power of the Jedi behind her.

That is stupid. The fleet was stationary in the air when they all began to fall. and that also doesn't explain why the ships outside of Exogul would begin falling out of orbit too. Also, the Final Order may have been defeated, but what about the First Order? Those guys are still around.
Omg you wanted more visual queues. What do you want it like that episode of samurai Jack where you see the Jedi building a light saber in heaven and then it beams down and the light saver cast a white glow as it cuts through the emperor and he says unbelievableeeeeeee

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
The Luke-Rey stuff more than made up for TLJ stuff. I just wish they had more time together I'm the prior movies. Fuuuuuuck I love this movie.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017

Like, I know, opinions, but that movie had way more to say and was executed way better. I literally got nothing out of this movie. It was such a mess.

I hated both, but at least with TLJ if you peek under the hood you can see some quality film making taking place.

If you peek under the hood of this movie, there's just nothing there.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
giphy.gif

I'm really conflicted. I thought it was fine but there's a lot going on and lot of it aint good.
The fact that I think Revenge was better paced and coherent makes really wonder if I actually like this.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I agree.

But I don't blame JJ for going the easy route and bringing back Palpatine. I like TLJ, warts and all, but it left nowhere for the third film to go.

And I don't think the idea of making Palpatine the overarching villain of the saga is a bad idea, but the way he's introduced is so rushed. The scene with him and Kylo should have been much longer (according to the leaks, it was but was cut down in editing).

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017

Moreso that Kylo is a character who children have on their lunch boxes, dress up as for Halloween, have multiple action figures of.

Star Wars is a family friendly series and I don't know how anyone believed that the final Skywalker would end up being evil and destroying the family name. What an awful conclusion to the Skywalker saga. He got redeemed in the best way possible. He finally decided to be good and realized he needs to own up for his sins and sacrificed himself so Rey can live on.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
I wished Rey woud've just hugged Ben, cause that kiss was just so forced.

This should be on every page xD.

Really the fact that a palpatine is restoring the Jedi order is the biggest slap in palpatine's face. Think how pissed he would be knowing that his lineage is the foundation for everything he stood against

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I found Kylo Ren to be really an interesting character. I also never found him to be really a Sith, but something inbetween, confused, but maybe on a path to something different then a Sith or Jedi. But i thought that about Rey also for a long time, but she is a Skywalker now...

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Before he was the emperor, he was a successful high ranking Senator from Naboo. It's not far fetched at all to believe in that facade of a life, he had a child. Maybe even a wife at one point. He's a master manipulator, he hide his identity for decades, not a stretch to imagine a cover that involved a kid.

It all just happened so fast.
Pacing and lack of emotional weight is my issue, not so much the plot it self.

That said, he had his son murdered then?
They sped over that part too. And was his sun Tom hardy? Looked like him.

Re: Rey claiming a Skywalker, it worked for me because it was her choice. No one gave her that, no one forced on her what they thought and who they thought she was. Letting her make that choice for herself was powerful and I'm totally cool with her, she's allowed to identity however she wants after all she's been through.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Moreso that Kylo is a character who children have on their lunch boxes, dress up as for Halloween, have multiple action figures of.

Star Wars is a family friendly series and I don't know how anyone believed that the final Skywalker would end up being evil and destroying the family name. What an awful conclusion to the Skywalker saga. He got redeemed in the best way possible. He finally decided to be good and realized he needs to own up for his sins and sacrificed himself so Rey can live on.
He wouldn't be the final Skywalker though. Rey could still take the name, which sends a positive message that you aren't defined by your birth family.

Studge

Oct 25, 2017
The Final Order star destroyers at the end not being able to tell which way was up without the beacon signal, despite the fact that they are already correctly oriented and there are people on them with eyes who could just look outside, is some of the most nakedly contrived bullshit ever. And they can't turn on their shields until they are in space for some reason too. WTF.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I can understand people not liking TLJ.

I can understand people enjoying TROS.

But anyone who enjoys TROS and doesn't like TLJ at the same time has, in my opinion, mind-bogglingly bad taste.

flare

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck did I just watch. Aside from a couple good moments... yikes.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
He wouldn't be the final Skywalker though. Rey could still take the name, which sends a positive message that you aren't defined by your birth family.

Which is exactly what happened. Even taking the name I can't imagine the mass majority of people would find solace in the fact that the final true Skywalker became a psychopath and had to be put down like a dog. Star Wars is all about redemption. Literally anyone can be redeemed no matter what.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Really the fact that a palpatine is restoring the Jedi order is the biggest slap in palpatine's face. Think how pissed he would be knowing that his lineage is the foundation for everything he stood against

I mean, if we got more from Palpatine, then yeah, sure, but we got like few seconds of him, so it doesnt really matter what he wanted, cause we didnt have enough time to get invested into his story (in the new movies).

Status
Not open for further replies.