• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
This movie has the insinuation that Lando Calrissian is the most influential and respected person in the galaxy and....

... I am okay with that.

Blitzpwnage

Feb 11, 2018
The cavalry charge on the destroyer was utterly pointless.

The space battle was ridiculously poor for involving hundreds of spaceships.

It felt very....hollow? There was a lack of scale. Maybe we are just spoiled by a Death Star trench run or 2 but for being a massive, galaxy saving space battle it felt like they barely even entered the fleet. It's like the whole battle took place within a 5 mile radius. Could have been better sense of scale.

Still it was fun, but that's kinda what this movie was, just fun.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017

This is the one thing I just cannot get over. We got a film that explored the value of learning from failure, learning from the past but not being beholden to it, the moral ambiguities of war, pacifist resistance, depression, and the nature of leadership.
Then we followed it up with a film that was about nothing. Just, nothing.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
I've come to the conclusion that the very best thing in the film is Adam Driver's performance, and how once Kylo makes his decision in the final act of the movie his performance becomes completely different. He even moves like a different person in those later scenes. That's great.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Your wife is a genius

Can't really argue with that

I married above my station.

It does make me wonder just how much better the PT would've been - even with its faults - if the actors had been better written and directed. I get hints of that in the Clone Wars show, which makes the wooden acting in the movies even more jarring.

But for the ST, it's a testament to most of the actors that - as bad and weird and stupid as things get - they are ALL IN on it. If the acting was as subpar as the PT, none of this would've worked because the story structure is built off sticks and scotch tape that's barely held together.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
I don't know how I feel about it yet. Parts I liked, parts I didn't, but fuck is this movie is like a 4 minute mile, they just sprint from scene to scene, location to location.

they really would've benefited from splitting it into two films like avengers. Going to see it again today, see how I feel without all the hype in my veins.

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

This is the one thing I just cannot get over. We got a film that explored the value of learning from failure, learning from the past but not being beholden to it, the moral ambiguities of war, pacifist resistance, depression, and the nature of leadership.

yeupp

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017

Star Wars director visions

George Lucas: The Vietnam War was bad

George Lucas again: War is a political tool that leads to the rise of fascism

Rian Johnson: Your Heroes are flawed, it's important to learn from the past

JJ Abrams: dude I love Star Wars

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018
Luke was only missing for a few years (five to seven, I think) and I think he was working on his temple for ten years max. There is at least thirteen years or so to track.

More if he left the temple in between before Ben fell.
It would have to happen before Ben turns, Luke's students all die, and he goes to Ach-To. So Luke and Lando were having these adventures, either before or around the same time as Luke was taking on apprentices.

It's painfully clear from this movie that JJ wanted VIII to be about Luke tracking down clues for Palpatine.
That makes sense for Some reason I'm always thinking luke has been missing for like 20 years but that wouldnt make sense. Lando staying in the planet is hella weird but that's easy to justify.
I feel like Luke and Lando Adventures happened before Luke trained the new gen of Jedis.

The probably failed to track the guy and Luke went back because Leia was having his kid or something.
they were traking the guy after Ben was born cause he clearly died when Rey was a child.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I've come to the conclusion that the very best thing in the film is Adam Driver's performance, and how once Kylo makes his decision in the final act of the movie his performance becomes completely different. He even moves like a different person in those later scenes. That's great.

Yeah, he was great. There is some gold in there surrounded by so much unnecessary bullshit.

jimtothehum

Mar 23, 2018
The more I think about the movie the more I wish it was just a character piece focused on Ben/Rey and the struggle to control the legacy of the Jedi. They would have had so much more room to tell a story without inserting Sheev and his idiotic plan.

JJ tried to top ROTJ in scale which wasn't necessary.

I think bringing in Palpatine was probably the biggest mistake the movie made and all other mistakes come from that.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So why would Plagueis try to stop death if that's how Sith souls work

I'm not so sure Palpatine was being literal. Luke said a thousand years of Jedi lived on in Rey and I think Palpatine was meant to be her thematic opposite. He was after all the end result of the Rule of Two and a thousand years of Sith machinations and planning.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
I'm praying they take their time with the next one.

Alternatively, stop choosing directors so far in advance, then dumping them and having someone new coming in and redo EVERYTHING at the last minute

I guarantee the top execs at Disney are not happy with how this trilogy was handled. Iger has shed some thoughts on the topic, but he's not going to throw his team under the bus.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't a fan of the opening crawl going "oh yeah, Palp is back." Couldn't you just open the movie with them intercepting the transmission?

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I wonder if Palpatine had a Sith Apprentice out there, Snoke didn't seem to be a Sith and rule of 2 means there should be an apprentice.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
So why would Plagueis try to stop death if that's how Sith souls work
Maybe he didn't want to be part of the hivemind.

He is the best part of this trilogy and I think probably the best performance of the whole series.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
AdorableEagerKronosaurus.webp

a1ielqqyick7ov0yxbbn.gif

tenor.gif

EnchantedWholeAnkole-size_restricted.gif

giphy.gif

source.gif

LeftLividCrocodile.webp

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
A co-worker just described the movie as Return of the King if New Line told Jackson to cut an hour off at the last minute, which actually makes sense IMO.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars director visions

George Lucas: The Vietnam War was bad

George Lucas again: War is a political tool that leads to the rise of fascism

Rian Johnson: Your Heroes are flawed, it's important to learn from the past

JJ Abrams: dude I love Star Wars
You know, I think you might have nailed why TFA worked as well as it did and why TRoS didn't.

With the blunders that the prequel trilogy made, a "Dude I love star wars" guy is exactly what you needed. The audience needed to be reminded of what makes star wars great, which makes it perhaps a bit shallow, but it was the movie for the time and place.

Then, with "I love star wars" established, Rian Johnson's "Your heroes are flawed" theme is the perfect critical follow up, putting the love of star wars under scrutiny.

But you can't follow it up with "I love star wars" again, atleast not without implementing what you learned from the "Your heroes are flawed" guy.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Snoke vs. Rey was way more full of tension and scary than Palpatine vs. Rey. J.J. made a fool of Sheev.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
so like .. everyone gets to become force ghosts except for poor Han :(

This is the second "family" oriented franchise where a character named Han gets no justice :(

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
This movie has the insinuation that Lando Calrissian is the most influential and respected person in the galaxy and....

... I am okay with that.
I thought Calrissian was going to be a force angel or something, he just doesn't feel like he's there because he's so convenient. Maybe someone can explain it better than me lol.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
The cavalry charge on the destroyer was utterly pointless.

The space battle was ridiculously poor for involving hundreds of spaceships.

Yea Jannah as a whole and her group were pointless addition to the movie as they didn't do anything. They didn't help Rey get to the Death Star Wayfinder location, Rey did it on her own. The calvary charge on the Star Destroyer looked dumb, but also had no purpose as majority of the resistance troops were on food we see, and also all the space horsies disappear right after the charge, what was the point of any of this? Jannah doesn't contribute anything other than cool, she shoots stormtroopers with a bow?

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
You know, I think you might have nailed why TFA worked as well as it did and why TRoS didn't.

With the blunders that the prequel trilogy made, a "Dude I love star wars" guy is exactly what you needed. The audience needed to be reminded of what makes star wars great, which makes it perhaps a bit shallow, but it was the movie for the time and place.

Then, with "I love star wars" established, Rian Johnson's "Your heroes are flawed" theme is the perfect critical follow up, putting the love of star wars under scrutiny.

But you can't follow it up with "I love star wars" again, atleast not without implementing what you learned from the "Your heroes are flawed" guy.
Agreed. I'm very forgiving of TFA despite some big issues with a few choices. Being a major retread was forgivable given the state of the franchise and fanbase after the PT. People needed to know Star Wars could be Star Wars again. It perfectly achieved that goal, if even too much. And TLJ was a good way to follow-up on that and not just wallow in nostalgia bate. Retreating back to nostalgia and spectacle to finish things out though wasn't a good idea.

Oct 25, 2017
The Sith spectators at the end should have been feeding Palpatine energy for the lightning then the force ghosts show up and block it to allow Rey and Ben to fight Palpatine.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
chewie's reaction to leia's death

AdiBPrOg.jpg
Chewie's had a hard life in these sequels. He had to watch all his friends die, one by one.

Maybe it's a good thing he was captured, he wouldn't have had to deal with C-3PO not knowing who he is after getting his memroy wiped. (I maybe am remembering it wrong)

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017

he was my favourite in this new trilogy. He is a great actor in general. Sad his character died.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We all should have seen the 10 or so death fakeouts here given that the movie was all about "No ones ever REALLY gone".

Except for Hux. Hes actually dead.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017

Off topic, but I always thought it was kind of interesting that Microsoft was the only one of the three platformer holders to have their game characters show up in Ready Player One, with cameos from Halo and Battletoads. IIRC there's no Sony or Nintendo characters to be found anywhere (though Mario Kart gets a shout-out at some point, apparantly).

Wonder if they made a special deal with Spielberg or something.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Yea Jannah as a whole and her group were pointless addition to the movie as they didn't do anything. They didn't help Rey get to the Death Star Wayfinder location, Rey did it on her own. The calvary charge on the Star Destroyer looked dumb, but also had no purpose as majority of the resistance troops were on food we see, and also all the space horsies disappear right after the charge, what was the point of any of this? Jannah doesn't contribute anything other than cool, she shoots stormtroopers with a bow?

Poor man's Valkyrie and to make people forget about Rose.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017

This is actually kind of accurate. We hear all the time about those AI bots creating paintings and songs and people not being able to tell the difference between something created by a person or a bot.

This film is basically a neural learning algorithm watching all previous Star Wars films and then making this. No story, nothing makes sense, terrible pacing, editing, structure...basically nothing but a stitched together string of motifs and rehashes from previous films.

Status
Not open for further replies.