• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The dead speak!

Palpatine is still alive somehow. He enlists Kylo Ren to try to help him find and kill (?) Rey. Rey is training with Leia as her master. The Resistance is rebuilding with Poe and Finn doing spy stuff. Palpatine launches a huge Sith fleet he has been building for years. They have 16 hours to find the fleet and destroy it. The fleet is on a planet called Exegol. They go on a MacGuffin hunt to find clues that will lead them to Exegol. In the process Kylo and Rey have a confrontation where she kills him (because Leia distracted Kylo by calling out to them with the Force and dying because of using all her energy doing so) and then resurrects him with the Force. He becomes good after seeing a vision of Han.

They track down the Sith fleet on Exegol and go there to destroy it but are massively outnumbered. But then Lando comes in with hella ships from all over the galaxy who help out. Palapatine is Rey's grandaddy and he wants her to strike him down so he can inhabit her body. But Rey deflects Palp's lightning back at him and kills him for good I guess? This saps all of Rey's power and she dies but then Kylo brings her back to life, dying for realz in the process.

The Sith fleet is destroyed, the galaxy is free, Rey returns to the Lars homestead on Tatooine and gives herself the name "Rey Skywalker."

Other stuff happens but it's not really important.
"because Leia distracted Kylo by calling out to them with the Force and dying because of using all her energy doing so"

"Rey...then resurrects him with the Force."

"then Kylo brings her back to life, dying for realz in the process."

Wait, what? Using the force to send a text message uses enough energy to kill you, but resurrecting someone from the dead doesn't? But then both Rey and Kylo use the same power, and it kills one of them but not the other?

I get that it's space wizards for kids, but... this seems inconsistent.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I will say I did like Luke and Rey's scene.... they desperately needed more scenes like that in TLJ so her taking the name Skywalker would've been more justified.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"because Leia distracted Kylo by calling out to them with the Force and dying because of using all her energy doing so"

Wait, what? Using the force to send a text message uses enough energy to kill you, but resurrecting someone from the dead doesn't? But then both Rey and Kylo use the same power, and it kills one of them but not the other?

Kylo was badly wounded, Rey was 100% dead for like two full minutes

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York

giphy.gif

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Kylo would have tried to kill Palptaine as soon as they met, after Snoke... he wouldn't have fucked about and took chances. I'm not against the writers having different ideas, but this felt out of character.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Or....maybe... its probably not superpowers he wants to discuss with Rey.
I'm not saying my understanding is right. I'm saying maybe the film should have clarified what Finn was talking about because I didn't get what other people got.

But why do you think Finn talks around being force sensitive with everyone instead of just calling it the force, which it clearly is?

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA

Earlier in the movie they establish this healing power by Rey fixing up a wound on a sand worm type thing, and she talks about "transferring some of her energy" into the creature. She heals Kylo after stabbing him in the stomach while she is at full health. Later he heals / resurrects her after being badly hurt and thrown into a pit. So I guess you could argue he didn't have much life energy left to give and gave it all up for her.

But it's still pretty weird though.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017

Well, different wounds do different amounts of damage. Kylo Ren just has a hole in him. Rey, she somehow got her entire life force sucked out of her. Or something. It's not clear what that did.

Better question is how Kylo Ren has enough life force to give since Palpatine sucked him off too.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Exactly. Why can Rey rez Kylo no problem from a lightsaber through the chest but Kylo has to die to rez rey because apparently she died from also using the force too hard (which seriously needs to stop being a fucking thing in these movies haha)

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, this trilogy continues to invalidate the entire OT trilogy. They didn't accomplish a thing it would seem. Empire was never destroyed, it came back more powerful than ever and Palpatine was never destroyed. Anakin's status as the "The Chosen One" is completely retconned, as he never destroyed the Sith now. His status is below that of Kylo Ren, since he and Rey destroyed Palps.

This whole trilogy was a waste of time and accomplished the exact same ending as the OT films. What a fucking mess.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
My main issue which may seem dumb but Rey screws up multiple times during the movie (facing Ben instead of going on the ship) and gets no consequences for it

DarkMagician

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Her not taking the Palpatine name is some disrespectful shit as well if you think about it. Her real parents literally died to protect her from the Emperor, indirectly saving the Galaxy (as she would've definitely been Dark Side if Palpy had raised her).

But noooo, I guess the people she knew for a year are more important to her than the people who died saving her.
We don't even know if her parents took the name Palpatine.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Exactly. Why can Rey rez Kylo no problem from a lightsaber through the chest but Kylo has to die to rez rey because apparently she died from also using the force too hard (which seriously needs to stop being a fucking thing in these movies haha)
Rey was dead dead. Kylo was dying but still alive.

Oct 28, 2017
Why did Kylo even listen to Palps because he expected Rey to turn and join him once she learned the truth of who she was. "We both have darkness in us." And then he's take the Sith fleet and they'd rule together?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I remember reading either this thread or the other spoiler one last night someone was talking about a Rey line being copied from Avengers or something ... what was that all about ?

I saw the movie yesterday, didn't notice anything like that.

On topic, the movie was just OK. I'm sure it was hinted before in the previous movies but this movie kinda made it pretty obvious that Finn was force sensitive too.. which was a nice touch.

"I AM ALL THE SITH!" "And I...am all the Jedi" is pretty much this movie's version of the "I AM INEVITABLE" "AND I AM IRON MAN" back-and-forth right before Tony killed Thanos.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
The act of reaching out with the force that distance is apparently very strenuous. So her voicemail to Ben getting him to back off for a second while fighting Rey was enough.

It's inconsistent given what Luke can do and what Snoke/Palp can do. But I guess Leia isn't as strong in the force or practiced so the strain was greater on her despite the act being lesser.

If you're asking me, it's maybe that she didn't really fully recover from her near-death in TLJ. And using this somewhat difficult abilty took a too heavy toll then.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Okay, I can buy that. For some reason my mind is like, blank on this moment. What did she tell him?

She just said "Ben".

Kylo would have tried to kill Palptaine as soon as they met, after Snoke... he wouldn't have fucked about and took chances. I'm not against the writers having different ideas, but this felt out of character.

I think he was going to kill him once he turned Rey. He even says "I have other plans" when he's asked if he's now Palpatine's servant.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't a Jedi Ghost, I think they even say explicitly that it's in his head, it's his memory of his father, not the spirit or blue glowie.
He wasn't a force ghost. He wasn't translucent and blue.

Like he tells Ben, he's Ben's memory of Han. It's unclear if it's just a hallucination or Ben's thought process or what, but it wasn't Han using the standard force ghost process.
So Kylo is working under a self imbued false sense of redemption after that?

Cause I mean, if I do someone wrong and just imagine them in my head forgiving me, that's just delusional right?

I feel like the movie wants me to look at him differently after that scene, like he's changed, but it isn't like he has actually been forgiven or even condoned by someone that he did harm to.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Legitimately great bits:

- Han and Ben. "Dad..." "I know"

- Kylo and Rey's long-distance fighting/item-teleportation powers. Her passing him the lightsabre at the end and his shrug to the Knights of Ren was wonderful

- Fuck I can't think of a third thing

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So Kylo is working under a self imbued false sense of redemption after that?

Cause I mean, if I do someone wrong and just imagine them in my head forgiving me, that's just delusional right?

I feel like the movie wants me to look at him differently after that scene, like he's changed, but it isn't like he has actually been forgiven or even condoned by someone that he did harm to.

It's probably supposed to be symbolic of Ben letting himself off the hook for killing Han, but he still killed Han in the first place so it's kind of hollow.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
If you're asking me, it's maybe that she didn't really fully recover from her near-death in TLJ. And using this somewhat difficult abilty took a too heavy toll then.
That too. I'm not too bent out of shape on any of the Leia stuff. It was awkward and you could tell they had less than nothing to work with. It was an impossible situation. Compared to so much else it was mostly well done given the circumstances.

I didn't like how she was able to give into her anger and dark side by stabbing him and then undoing it by healing him and running off.
It's like the extreme version of playing/fighting with a younger sibling and fucking them up real bad and then holding them and being like "no no, you're OK. I didn't mean it. Please don't tell mom."

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
That too. I'm not too bent out of shape on any of the Leia stuff. It was awkward and you could tell they had less than nothing to work with. It was an impossible situation. Compared to so much else it was mostly well done given the circumstances.

Agreed. Her part and sendoff in the movie was really good and respectfully for Carrie Fisher.

I'll be honest, i nearly teared up a bit after her in-movie death and Chewie's reaction to it.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Rey was dead dead. Kylo was dying but still alive.
Rey was alive and well like a minute before Kylo got to her lol. And then shes THAT dead? Like how did she even die at all, forcing too hard?

Nah I can't buy that I'm sorry. Its just inconsistent logic to get plot beats to happen because JJ wanted them to happen that.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because its not chess lol. If he didn't want her dead there is literally zero reason to tell Kylo to kill her. Especially because Kylo never wanted to kill her to begin with. He even tells her he wants to take her to him so they can both kill him. So no chess was needed. He wanted her dead, until he didn't, until he wanted her to kill him for no reason, until he just became the emperor himself, until she killed him but not the way he wanted her to so she wins?

Nothing about this makes ANY sense whatsoever.

Sheev works in mysterious ways...my take on it was that her parents knew Sheeve wanted to possess her because he had intended to come back much sooner and train her up from age 6. Sheev knows Kylo has always been borderline so yes the best way to actually get him to bring her to him was to activate his feelings by saying to kill her. At the end dude wanted them both in one place to absorb both their powers and restore himself to full power.

Him coming back is just the same as Sauron needing a catalyst to walk the world once again or Voldemort needing the goblet of fire...hell fucking Dracula in Castlevania needed help to redirect himself at full power. It's space fantasy people!

Dec 22, 2017

Rey healed a mortal wound to his abdomen.

Kylo, who was badly injured and half dead to begin with, literally resurrected Rey.

How is that inconsistent?

Also Daisy Ridley's death face was haunting. She really looked like a lifeless corpse. Freaked me out a little.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I know but it's not enough because it doesn't go anywhere.

Most of this movie doesn't go anywhere, the script is a total mess. The only part of the movie that works is the relationship between Ben and Rey because it was built up properly over 2 films. The rest is all disposable. Finn/Rose, that's in the trash. Jannah? Nobody gives a fuck. Zorri/Poe? Could be cool but she is in the movie for 5 minutes. Sheev and Kylo? They have one scene together before he turns.

UnknownSpirit

Oct 25, 2017
Rey was alive and well like a minute before Kylo got to her lol. And then shes THAT dead? Like how did she even die at all, forcing too hard?

Nah I can't buy that I'm sorry. Its just inconsistent logic to get plot beats to happen because JJ wanted them to happen that.

Rey wasn't alive. After she destroyed Paply she was dead.

She didn't come back until after Ben started to heal her.

At what point was she alive during that process.

Oct 25, 2017
Ben changing because his mother literally just said his name because of a Force phone call had me groaning.
Why did you say that name?
Who helped write this one again? Oh right...
MARTHA!
Saying someone's name always solves the problem!
He must be why the plot was so convoluted that I had to have a sit and think just to figure out what the fuck even happened in this movie.

(I guess to be fair to Leia's effort I'm pretty sure the force connection she made also motivated the memory vision of dad he had soon after and it wasn't just spontaneous, she made that happen I think)

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
"I AM ALL THE SITH!" "And I...am all the Jedi" is pretty much this movie's version of the "I AM INEVITABLE" "AND I AM IRON MAN" back-and-forth right before Tony killed Thanos.
Yeah, but....man, that's so not nearly as clever.

Like, what I like about that line is that Tony is clearly trying to come up with one of his signature quips, but he gets nothing so there's this long pause before he simply says "Iron Man".

It works because it's in character, it shows character development, it's a good book end to the first movie, it's encompassing of everything Tony is, and it's a rebuke against Thanos. It's a greatly written and delivered line.

This on the other hand? "I am all the sith/jedi!"? This is just them stating their power levels. It means nothing to the characters except as a haphazard explanation for why they are so strong.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
this is a small issue but I also thought Palpatine's makeup looked really bad and it's probably why they kept him in shadow or strobing with lightning almost the whole time.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

I took it's because Kylo wasn't dead, but Rey was, one is healing other is straight resurrecting. So for resurrecting you give her all your enegy.

Status
Not open for further replies.