• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 22, 2017
I didn't get that this was Rey permanently moving in. Like, at all. She was there to bury Luke and Leia together, back where it all started.

Yeah, like what? People interpreted that as her moving there? It was to lay their sabers to rest.

I genuinely have no idea how you can think this, unless you think you literally can't tell a Star Wars story without a scary monster man pulling the strings who gets killed in the third movie. TLJ takes Snoke out of the picture to set up Kylo as the main villain of a third movie. Supreme Leader Kylo Ren, leading the First Order, having gained power but finding no satisfaction in it, haunted by what he did to his father, haunted by the ghost of Luke ("See you round, kid"), obsessed with Rey.

Rey with the sacred Jedi texts, training as a Jedi, knowing that she and Kylo are always going to be linked. General Poe is leading a Resistance newly invigorated by Luke's final stand. Lieutenant Finn is training his own squad with his Stormtrooper training or something. Resistance vs. First Order, Jedi Rey vs. Supreme Leader Kylo. That's what Episode IX needed to be. No popup mastermind villain at the eleventh hour, no ridiculous giant army hidden just off-screen, no Rey actually being a famous name; TLJ set up everything and it only needed to be brought home.

Yeah it's tough to have a bunch of cool ideas that you spent years pontificating on tossed aside by a director change.

I believe I also spied Anthony Daniels piloting a resistance ship at the end, but I could be wrong.

Maybe you're thinking of Wedge?

sephghast

Oct 25, 2017
So I think the best analogy for this movie is The Dark Knight Rises. Disappointing ending, disjointed, weird, and just tired. All while still managing to pull some heartstrings...some.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I think that was the implication, yes. He and Leia have known all along.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
One thing that stood out to me watching TLJ that not even RoS managed to top, that feeling of tension and dread during the showdown with Snoke. It felt like there were actual stakes, like during RotJ.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Just like the not at all subtle idea of a child preternaturally gifted in the force being stranded on a planet randomly at age 5 or so, with imagery of her staring up at the leaving ship signaling a clear message of "there's more to this" to the viewership, along with clear insinuation that Leia knows who she is in TFA--suddenly turns into "they were nobodies and simply sold you for drinking money" in TLJ?

That ass pull was apparently fine in TLJ though?
That's not an ass pull, that was Rey overattached to the parents who left her. Episode VII was called the Force Awakens, you had an explanation there, something simplistic and mythical with the force than happened, decades after the galactic war had eneded. Her coming to terms with it and still desireing to be a jedi was a testament to her character, so she finds out she's Palpatine granddaughter, ok let's say that's a good concept on paper, never mind the awful scene where Kylo says he likes he's on autopilot, but where does it lead? She kills him and we find out she's a strong person (but we know that already!) TLJ was a better ending than ROS, even if it wouldn't have wrapped everything up, it's more inspiring and Kylo being humilated on Crait was more satsfying than the emperor dying yet again.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was Sheev's plot really that confusing? I figure he told Kylo to kill her because she's a Palp, knowing that Kylo has internally struggled with light and dark for multiple movies now, and figured he wouldn't be able to do it but would tell her the truth, fueling her into coming for him, so that he can enact his plan of taking over her body. I know it wasn't outright said but I just gathered some Sheev 6D chess.

Also, yes, Han scene was best of the entire movie. No idea Ford was back, and Adam Driver is so damn good.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I didn't get that vibe at all, he's very free with saying "I have a feeling" whenever he does, it's not like he tries to hide that.

The only thing he would want to tell rey but not poe is that he likes her
I'm just saying if that's what it was meant to be maybe they should have been clear about it because I didn't think it was 'I Love You'. It wasn't clear to me. I genuinely thought it was something else.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Can we talk about one of my favorite moments of the movie - when Hux reveals himself to be the spy? Thought his delivery on "I'm the spy!" was actually hilarious, and I then got excited at the prospect of seeing him interact with the heroes in a new, interesting way...

...then he is shot and killed the next scene and that's that.
This is such a stupid movie, lol.

Like what was the point of all of that if you're literally going to kill him 10 seconds later?

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
I wish this trilogy started with Kylo at the academy, as a bright-eyed padawan fully bought into the Jedi credo. Then he meets Rey—the scavenger, who's life on the fringe and lack of structure becomes something of a draw for Kylo. He falls for her, and over time, learns that her predicament is a result of the empire's destruction. Let that be the entry point to her past as a daughter of the Sith. Let that be the point of contention for Kylo and Luke. Focus the story around that, and the fear that Luke may not only be losing Kylo, but possibly be training a new leader of a new yet-to-be-formed empire. Have this be what shakes his own faith in the Jedi.

I want a character driven love story / tragedy. Don't need all the big picture epic shit.

lol I guess a better version of what George tried to do

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IF ANYONE CAN ANSWER THIS PLEASE HELP ME

Was Rey using Anakins lightsaber through the movie?? It was destroyed in TLJ! Maybe I was seeing it wrong

Yup. She didn't think she deserved to wield it or that she hadn't earned the right to but I assume Abrams didn't want it to be broken in The Last Jedi so he just handwaved it and said it wasn't.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
One thing (amongst many) that also annoyed me about this movie is that JJ once again seems to completely accidentally broach the difficult ethical topic surrounding these new Stormtroopers. Jannah and her entire gang are just like Finn, defected Stormtroopers. So I thought 'Ah, finally they're gonna address the elephant in the room with the morality of shooting people that were kidnapped and brainwashed as a child. Maybe Jannah and Finn will strive to save the Stormtroopers....

...but no, JJ once again completely ignores the obvious moral questions that come up by having Stormtroopers being able to fight their programming and Jannah and her crew happily join in fighting the Stormtrooper armies. What the hell, why would you introduce even more defected Stormtroopers if you don't do the one obvious thing with them? What's even the point of them also being defected Stormtroopers if you don't do anything interesting with that info?

(On a similar note: Jannah would've been a much more interesting character to follow in this trilogy than Finn)
I actually like the parallel here to TFA, because Jannah is basically a reflection of where Finn started out in this trilogy and now Finn is not just a resistance fighter but a general in that resistance, committed to a cause. They didn't have nearly enough time to get into this in any kind of depth but it was a neat idea for a character dynamic.
It shows that even if you come from the blood of the most evil and dark person, You can still choose ultimately who *you* want to be.

While its iffy, It works for me overall.
Yeah I get that but at the same time TLJ already concluded that blood doesn't define who you are, your choices do. This movie doesn't really add anything in that sense, it just redoes it but this time with the added wrinkle of making the hero of the story Hitler's granddaughter.

Last edited:

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just saying if that's what it was meant to be maybe they should have been clear about it because I didn't think it was 'I Love You'. It wasn't clear to me. I genuinely thought it was something else.

I dunno, when you're about to die I don't know "btw I'm force sensitive" is something that really matters. Telling someone you love them does

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Really? That's one of my most hated scenes in the franchise lol. Snoke and his gold smoking jacket in his pervert lair
It's probably my favorite in the ST(low bar). They actually convey that he's powerful and a genuine threat, if still a non-character, then it slowly ramps up with Kylo's conflict, there's that silent shared moment of 'well shit' before the team up.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain to me what Leia actually did with her last act? I get why Luke died, I get why Ben died, but I'm not sure what Leia's grand last act truly was.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
when Ben says "dad...."

and Han says "I know..."

THAT WAS FUCKING GREAT

That was the best scene in the movie. It had heart, it looked amazing and it even had some non-cheesy callbacks. If only the movie had done more of that, trying to work properly with what we saw in TFA and TLJ, than throwing so much shit at the screen.

Can someone explain to me what Leia actually did with her last act? I get why Luke died, I get why Ben died, but I'm not sure what Leia's grand last act truly was.

She used to the Force to speak to her son from across the galaxy, in a less grandiose version of what Luke did during TLJ.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
This is such a stupid movie, lol.

Like what was the point of all of that if you're literally going to kill him 10 seconds later?
So they can have the cool, smart, efficient space nazi who tolerates no nonsense and has a >:( face the entire time can take his place.

Because that's better than Admiral "the joke" Hux.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I remember reading either this thread or the other spoiler one last night someone was talking about a Rey line being copied from Avengers or something ... what was that all about ?

I saw the movie yesterday, didn't notice anything like that.

On topic, the movie was just OK. I'm sure it was hinted before in the previous movies but this movie kinda made it pretty obvious that Finn was force sensitive too.. which was a nice touch.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Was Sheev's plot really that confusing? I figure he told Kylo to kill her because she's a Palp, knowing that Kylo has internally struggled with light and dark for multiple movies now, and figured he wouldn't be able to do it but would tell her the truth, fueling her into coming for him, so that he can enact his plan of taking over her body. I know it wasn't outright said but I just gathered some Sheev 6D chess.
Because its not chess lol. If he didn't want her dead there is literally zero reason to tell Kylo to kill her. Especially because Kylo never wanted to kill her to begin with. He even tells her he wants to take her to him so they can both kill him. So no chess was needed. He wanted her dead, until he didn't, until he wanted her to kill him for no reason, until he just became the emperor himself, until she killed him but not the way he wanted her to so she wins?

Nothing about this makes ANY sense whatsoever.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Just like the not at all subtle idea of a child preternaturally gifted in the force being stranded on a planet randomly at age 5 or so, with imagery of her staring up at the leaving ship signaling a clear message of "there's more to this" to the viewership, along with clear insinuation that Leia knows who she is in TFA--suddenly turns into "they were nobodies and simply sold you for drinking money" in TLJ?

That ass pull was apparently fine in TLJ though?

I mean, that scene QUITE LITERALLY makes sense if they just bailed on her. A little kid looking up at a starship flying away and going "COME BACK" doesn't insinuate anything other than the fact she was abandoned. That's it.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saw it last night, but needed to sleep on it. I...think it's a bad movie, but I really enjoyed it.

Palaptine's introduction was one of the laziest, pulled out of the ass ideas I've ever seen in a movie. How does this event just happen a title crawl? It reads like a fan-fiction and even his on screen reveal felt unceremonious for such a big character. Ian McDiarmid did well for what he had to work with, which was practically nothing. You're not ever going to convince me that he was intended all along. The force lightning storm scene was awesome though. The final battle also felt pretty flaccid. Was hoping for a full on duel after he regenerated.

Totally fine with Rey being a Palpatine and it was one of the first things I predicted even as far back as TLJ. While I don't believe Palaptine was intended to be the final villain, I always suspected Rey's lineage having ties to the darkside. Not sure why anyone took Kylo "confirmation" at face value and him telling her she was a "no one" only affirmed that she was actually somebody. I don't think the reveal uncut any point that TLJ was trying to make. All of the movies showed how anyone is able to tune into the force if you believe/trust in it, but Rey was a notable exception to everywhere. I almost wish she had taken the name Palpatine, embracing her own legacy, rather than taking on Skywalker's name. Or just Rey would have been fine. Still, I enjoyed her conclusion. That scene with her accidentally producing force lighting got an audible "oh shiiitttt" from me.

Kylo Ren was great, but I'm a little sad that he died. When Leia died and called out to him, I couldn't help but tear up. When Han Solo showed up, I fucking lost it. Great acting from Adam Driver. Oh, and the Knights of Ren were lame AF, but him swagging on them was so satisfying.

Hated hated HATED what they did with Finn and Rose. It's probably the one thing that made me angry. Completely bent the knee to idiots online and every milquetoast interaction between them made it worse. They act like the kiss in TLJ NEVER HAPPENED and they just awkwardly go about their business. Canto Bight was boring, but Rose had nothing to do with that. Maybe it was her decision to take a step back because of the harassment, but fuck does it make me mad.

I gotta say I felt the humor hit the mark a lot better this time around. C-3P0 made me laugh pretty much every time, and the quip overall felt much more natural than the last movie. Can't recall any time where I rolled my eyes.

I love what they did with Leia and it's about time we saw the warrior side. Again, I didn't understand why everyone was so bent out of shape over her flying in space in TLJ - of COURSE she would be able to do that. All I could think about how it's such a shame we got this ST so late. I would have loved to see Luke and Leia training students in between ROTJ and TFA. That's the sequel I wanted to see, but unfortunately we don't live in that timeline.

Still processing everything, and I'm totally going to see it again. I enjoyed it, but it's definitely a mess.

I saw it last night too and liked it but it really shows how much better of a film TLJ is than people have it credit for. The Reylo shipping has been there since even after TFA so retroactively coming back and saying the kiss was shocking and citing pearl clutching moral implications is just dumb. I generally hate the way JJ just info dumps shit though and that's been a complaint I've had since TFA. I'm basically just glad its over and hopefully they just realize Star Wars is perfect for TV and focus on building the universe with more shows like Mando.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Speaking of Han though, there was one dude in my audience that shouted "WHAT" when Han showed up. I'm assuming that they thought he was a ghost at first and was confused but it took me OUT of the moment lol.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That was the best scene in the movie. It had heart, it looked amazing and it even had some non-cheesy callbacks. If only the movie had done more of that, trying to work properly with what we saw in TFA and TLJ, than throwing so much shit at the screen.

She used to the Force to speak to her son from across the galaxy, in a less grandiose version of what Luke did during TLJ.

Okay, I can buy that. For some reason my mind is like, blank on this moment. What did she tell him?

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I love how incredibly forced it felt. And I love how they very obviously telegraphed it right before it happened ("Leia is about to try and contact Ben, it will use all of her strength!"), because the audience is dumb as nails.

This movie almost aggressively insults the intelligence of the Star Wars audience. Maybe it was a meta retort against TLJ critics. "This is what you wanted, you idiots."
eh I think that was more a consequence of the footage they have of Carrie being so limited that it wouldn't be clear just from that context what was happening.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
The act of reaching out with the force that distance is apparently very strenuous. So her voicemail to Ben getting him to back off for a second while fighting Rey was enough.

It's inconsistent given what Luke can do and what Snoke/Palp can do. But I guess Leia isn't as strong in the force or practiced so the strain was greater on her despite the act being lesser.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
I remember reading either this thread or the other spoiler one last night someone was talking about a Rey line being copied from Avengers or something ... what was that all about ?

I saw the movie yesterday, didn't notice anything like that.

On topic, the movie was just OK. I'm sure it was hinted before in the previous movies but this movie kinda made it pretty obvious that Finn was force sensitive too.. which was a nice touch.
"I am inevitable" -> I am all the sith
Endgame spoiler
"I am Iron Man"
-> And I am all the Jedi

Status
Not open for further replies.