• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Rule of threes. You don't bring something up twice and then give it no resolution of any kind. You're right, it was obvious, so the second scene wasn't needed at all and set the expectation of it being something that gets a payoff and not a one off comment.

It really is the most fundamental storytelling in film.

Felt like the kiss scene was actively giving him the middle finger too. Finn deserves better :/

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Stolen from the (savage) Slate Spoiler Special:

"Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe's she's Palpatine!"

OtisPepperoni

Dec 5, 2017
This is exactly how I thought this final 3rd film should have gone. TLJ set up Kylo to be the main villain. He's killed a lot of people and probably shouldn't be redeemed. Luke could haunt him as a force ghost which would be fun and funny (hinted at when he says "see you around kid"). Lightsaber was broken, so with the ancient books she has to go and find a new crystal and build a lightsaber. Maybe a dual staff one since she loves using a staff. TLJ set up an easy final movie. JJ - let's bring back palpatine (ugh!).

The idea of Luke being the pestering Force Ghost uncle was so promising, especially since I loved Hamill and Driver's small interactions TLJ. What a damn waste.

In my mind, the "Skywalker saga" ends with Luke dying, inspiring a galaxy. Beautiful.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
so what's the deal with the jedi texts and luke's saber? did they just retcon it or is there some explanation?
Jedi texts are seen, and she's reading them, Luke's saber could've been fixed between the movies, she was holding the parts of the broken saber on the Falcon at the end of TLJ.

movie has tons of other problems htough.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that the broadcast isn't actually in the movie and you have to play Fortnite to hear it is the most asinine corporate-ass thing imaginable.

The fact that stealing the plans of the death star isn't in ANH means ANH is trash
Let it go lmfao, it's not needed. There are way more glaring issues with the film.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Age question that left me a bit confused.

How much time has passed since Anakin became Vader? I ask because Papaltine was pretty old even then. His son looked like he was maybe 35-40 in the flashback sequences. Help me with the timeline of how old Papaltine would have had to be when his son was born.
Palps to me was pushing 70 by the time of RotS, so likely 90ish during the OT films. ST was set 30 years later so Rey's dad being 35ish would mean he was born after the PT, close to mid/late point Empire's reign before the OT.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
One touch I liked from the score: revisiting the Vader dies music from ROTJ when Rey explores the DS2 wreckage.

You can like and love TLJ, fine. But not acknowledging that this movie did nothing to move the plot forward as a mid-trilogy EP should, is straight up bad faith.

I would have loved if for instance, when Snoke dies, that they introduce the Emperor as the big Mastermind right off the bat. Showing him in the trailer was weak and ruined a potential big moment.
What's in bad faith is pretending that the only way for the plot to move forward is for the Emperor to be involved at all, and that any deviation from that is a failure of storytelling. TLJ clearly moves the story forward but does so in a manner that would've required thinking of something new for the finale beyond Rey and Kylo vs. Emperor. JJ was clearly not comfortable with the idea of Kylo Ren being the final villain.

It shouldn't have happened, but on the other side of it, it gave us the best version of Rey in the films. It gave Daisy something to work with in regards to her character being conflicted, scared, and angry. My issue is I think you could have gotten the same general anxiety from Rey in another way without such an obvious ass pull.

I don't know if I'd call this the best version of Rey but I agree that her struggles with the dark side in this film could've still been done without the bloodline retcon for it.

This is a tough one to parse because obvious TRoS is a little haphazard, but I think I'm personally cool with it. I don't read it as a rebuke but a reasonable augmentation.

In TLJ Rey was looking for direction and purpose. Her parent's being "special" would give her direction and a "place in all this", but hearing they were nobody that abandoned her was the hardest thing she could face. It was necessary because it put her down the path of self-determination. She must give herself direction and purpose.

In TRoS, she has a place but is struggling to make it work. She is the last Jedi and the hope for the future. She has a role and a purpose and is working on defining herself. At this stage, the reveal that she is Palpatine's granddaughter is the hardest thing she can hear because it undermines that purpose and suggests she carries an inherent evil. Who she is is the opposite of the purpose she has found. She is potentially not the hope for the future, but the ultimate threat against it. The lessons and themes from TLJ are carried through though, I think. She is not defined by her blood, it doesn't even matter if her parents were special or not, she can be who she chooses to be. The message is augmented from "anybody can be president" to "anybody can be good".

You could argue that this undoes the spirit of "anybody can be president" or the democratization of the force, but as we know plenty of special people have been Jedi in the past. I think opening up the force is still maintained and better served by people like broomboy or Finn, who demonstrate the force flowing beyond the chosen one.
I am open to changing my mind after rewatch! My initial impression from hearing "you're a Palpatine" was this strikes me as a really bad choice, and I know I wasn't alone on that as my whole theater really groaned at that haha. Hopefully it will play better for me now that I know about it going in the next time.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
See last night when people said this I thought maybe I just missed it but like theres no way that that was actually what he was trying to say. It was obviously being set up that he loves her and they just dropped it and never acknowledged it or refilmed reylo and got rid of it. Which is so much worse than a finn rey relationship.
The thing about Reylo is that I was legit surprised by it.

Like, I realized that Rey and Kylo Ren had a special relationship between them as rivals that also see into each other so deeply, so it's super easy to project romantic feelings onto that.

The thing is, the only scene it ever felt like it was when Rey went "oh gosh" at walking in on Kylo Ren shirtless during their force talks. Otherwise, I felt Rey regarded him as a broken individual that she could help and wants to if she can, but otherwise just recognizes that Kylo Ren's too much of a headcase to actually be with.

It's not like I'm against Reylo conceptually, but I wasn't really for it because other than her stopping short at him being shirtless, she never indicated interest in him. It's almost like they were siblings with how Luke and Han and Leia played paternal roles in their lives.

So when their kiss happened, I was like "What? Really? When did this happen?" more than anything.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Jedi texts are seen, and she's reading them, Luke's saber could've been fixed between the movies, she was holding the parts of the broken saber on the Falcon at the end of TLJ.

movie has tons of other problems htough.
i thought they were burned in TLJ?

i suppose it could've been fixed.

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
Saw it last night, but needed to sleep on it. I...think it's a bad movie, but I really enjoyed it.

Palaptine's introduction was one of the laziest, pulled out of the ass ideas I've ever seen in a movie. How does this event just happen a title crawl? It reads like a fan-fiction and even his on screen reveal felt unceremonious for such a big character. Ian McDiarmid did well for what he had to work with, which was practically nothing. You're not ever going to convince me that he was intended all along. The force lightning storm scene was awesome though. The final battle also felt pretty flaccid. Was hoping for a full on duel after he regenerated.

Totally fine with Rey being a Palpatine and it was one of the first things I predicted even as far back as TLJ. While I don't believe Palaptine was intended to be the final villain, I always suspected Rey's lineage having ties to the darkside. Not sure why anyone took Kylo "confirmation" at face value and him telling her she was a "no one" only affirmed that she was actually somebody. I don't think the reveal uncut any point that TLJ was trying to make. All of the movies showed how anyone is able to tune into the force if you believe/trust in it, but Rey was a notable exception to everywhere. I almost wish she had taken the name Palpatine, embracing her own legacy, rather than taking on Skywalker's name. Or just Rey would have been fine. Still, I enjoyed her conclusion. That scene with her accidentally producing force lighting got an audible "oh shiiitttt" from me.

Kylo Ren was great, but I'm a little sad that he died. When Leia died and called out to him, I couldn't help but tear up. When Han Solo showed up, I fucking lost it. Great acting from Adam Driver. Oh, and the Knights of Ren were lame AF, but him swagging on them was so satisfying.

Hated hated HATED what they did with Finn and Rose. It's probably the one thing that made me angry. Completely bent the knee to idiots online and every milquetoast interaction between them made it worse. They act like the kiss in TLJ NEVER HAPPENED and they just awkwardly go about their business. Canto Bight was boring, but Rose had nothing to do with that. Maybe it was her decision to take a step back because of the harassment, but fuck does it make me mad.

I gotta say I felt the humor hit the mark a lot better this time around. C-3P0 made me laugh pretty much every time, and the quip overall felt much more natural than the last movie. Can't recall any time where I rolled my eyes.

I love what they did with Leia and it's about time we saw the warrior side. Again, I didn't understand why everyone was so bent out of shape over her flying in space in TLJ - of COURSE she would be able to do that. All I could think about how it's such a shame we got this ST so late. I would have loved to see Luke and Leia training students in between ROTJ and TFA. That's the sequel I wanted to see, but unfortunately we don't live in that timeline.

Still processing everything, and I'm totally going to see it again. I enjoyed it, but it's definitely a mess.

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
I think Babu Frick was an actual puppet/animatronic and I think that's the reason I loved him so much.

SoundCheck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You know that a movie is bad when it uses the "fake death trick" four times and the audience just reacts to the first one.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
The fact that stealing the plans of the death star isn't in ANH means ANH is trash
Let it go lmfao, it's not needed. There are way more glaring issues with the film.
how is that in any way comparable? the crawl in ANH sets up a whole word. TRoS follows TLJ and the opening crawl mentions something that's happend in Fortnite... not even SW: Battlefront II a star wars property.

Oct 28, 2017
Just like the not at all subtle idea of a child preternaturally gifted in the force being stranded on a planet randomly at age 5 or so, with imagery of her staring up at the leaving ship signaling a clear message of "there's more to this" to the viewership, along with clear insinuation that Leia knows who she is in TFA--suddenly turns into "they were nobodies and simply sold you for drinking money" in TLJ?

That ass pull was apparently fine in TLJ though?
Well, I strongly disagree that there was ever any insinuation in TFA that Leia knew who Rey was. Not sure what actual evidence within the film you are basing that on. And the saber echoes still don't even really make sense in this because it's not like they showed moments that had anything to do with the Sith or Palpatine or anything like that. At best, it pointed to her possibly being a Skywalker or force sensitive. The ship imagery works with her being sold for drinking money in my opinion. That could have conceivably been the moment she was abandoned and both TFA and TLJ play up the idea that being abandoned was her greatest fear and something she has been suppressing.

And frankly, it's really not a mystery that's worth spending 3 movies on. JJ should have answered that question in the first film. That another writer came in and took it in another direction is really his problem.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Is there even anything to analyze in this movie btw. Like, we spent years debating about TLJ and what it all meant. This movie's analysis will be about whether it was all a joke or not.

For real, I don't even know. Emotionally the movie feels about as deep as a puddle; the only thing complex about it is the pure logistical machinations of the McGuffin chase and which doodad they need to unlock the next stage of the puzzle.

Chaofahn

Nov 16, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
See last night when people said this I thought maybe I just missed it but like theres no way that that was actually what he was trying to say. It was obviously being set up that he loves her and they just dropped it and never acknowledged it or refilmed reylo and got rid of it. Which is so much worse than a finn rey relationship.
Moreso since they never have Finn and Rose get intimate, even when there was a massive opportunity to do so in the finale.

But yeah, it's either this or he wanted to tell her he was force sensitive.

OtisPepperoni

Dec 5, 2017
Can we talk about one of my favorite moments of the movie - when Hux reveals himself to be the spy? Thought his delivery on "I'm the spy!" was actually hilarious, and I then got excited at the prospect of seeing him interact with the heroes in a new, interesting way...

...then he is shot and killed the next scene and that's that.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
That Wedge cameo was lame as hell too, feels like something they put in a day before they sent the movie to cinemas.

Thinking more about Lando's role, would it really have been so hard for him to appear at the jungle base before they go on the mission. They could have had him be one of them people who returned to the fight after the Battle of Crait. The way he first appears is just so odd. He's LANDO not some redshirt.

UnknownSpirit

Oct 25, 2017
Rey comes from 'special' blood, but Luke tells her what matters is her spirit not her blood...which is fine, but that if her blood doesn't matter, why make a point of her being Palpatine's granddaughter at all?

It shows that even if you come from the blood of the most evil and dark person, You can still choose ultimately who *you* want to be.

While its iffy, It works for me overall.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
i thought they were burned in TLJ?

i suppose it could've been fixed.
No, Rey stole them in TLJ (seen on the falcon as well, when Finn is picking up a blankett from a storage compartment), which is why Yoda says something to the effect of "there's nothing in the library that Rey doesn't already posses" (cause she stole the books).

OtisPepperoni

Dec 5, 2017
Also - how/when exactly did Luke know that Rey was a Palpatine? Are we supposed to infer that he knew that the entire time he was training her in TLJ?

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
IF ANYONE CAN ANSWER THIS PLEASE HELP ME

Was Rey using Anakins lightsaber through the movie?? It was destroyed in TLJ! Maybe I was seeing it wrong

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Age question that left me a bit confused.

How much time has passed since Anakin became Vader? I ask because Papaltine was pretty old even then. His son looked like he was maybe 35-40 in the flashback sequences. Help me with the timeline of how old Papaltine would have had to be when his son was born.

According to a novel, which seems to be canon so we have no reason to doubt it, Palpatine was born 84 years before the first Death Star blew up. Since the sequel trilogy takes place 34 years after that, it's probably safe to assume Palpatine's son or daughter (we don't know which) was born at most a few years before the events of A New Hope.

Which means that, yes, an 80-something Palpatine probably had sex with a woman about half his age or younger. Which isn't so unusual I s'pose given he was the Emperor and all that - he likely had several concubines.

It's just really, really gross to think about.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Chewie "dies" and is shown to be alive minutes later with no impact
C3PO loses his memory but then gets it back with no impact
Kylo dies and is brought back to life, only to die again later
Rey dies but comes back to life

The only impactful death in the movie was the death of many's interest in the franchise

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Rey took them from the Jedi Tree before she left the island. You see them in a drawer on the Falcon towards the end of TLJ.

ah ok lol. i haven't watched it in a while. well, i watched as much as i could this morning. only got as far as Holdo firing herself into the ship before i had to leave to go see the movie.

IF ANYONE CAN ANSWER THIS PLEASE HELP ME

Was Rey using Anakins lightsaber through the movie?? It was destroyed in TLJ! Maybe I was seeing it wrong
yeah it was destroyed in TLJ. somehow it got fixed.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The real travesty in this series is never getting a green lightsaber which is the best color of lightsaber.

Chewie "dies" and is shown to be alive minutes later with no impact
C3PO loses his memory but then gets it back with no impact
Kylo dies and is brought back to life, only to die again later
Rey dies but comes back to life

The only impactful death in the movie was the death of many's interest in the franchise
At least we didn't get another Leia death fake out given how well that worked out last time lol

Status
Not open for further replies.