• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
palpatine being "revealed" in the crawl might be the dumbest decision of the entire movie and that's saying quite a bit

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
This is my exact reaction
source.gif

That was so unintentionally funny
I was dying in my chair in that scene. Shit is so lazy.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The dead speak!

Palpatine is still alive somehow. He enlists Kylo Ren to try to help him find and kill (?) Rey. Rey is training with Leia as her master. The Resistance is rebuilding with Poe and Finn doing spy stuff. Palpatine launches a huge Sith fleet he has been building for years. They have 16 hours to find the fleet and destroy it. The fleet is on a planet called Exegol. They go on a MacGuffin hunt to find clues that will lead them to Exegol. In the process Kylo and Rey have a confrontation where she kills him (because Leia distracted Kylo by calling out to them with the Force and dying because of using all her energy doing so) and then resurrects him with the Force. He becomes good after seeing a vision of Han.

They track down the Sith fleet on Exegol and go there to destroy it but are massively outnumbered. But then Lando comes in with hella ships from all over the galaxy who help out. Palapatine is Rey's grandaddy and he wants her to strike him down so he can inhabit her body. But Rey deflects Palp's lightning back at him and kills him for good I guess? This saps all of Rey's power and she dies but then Kylo brings her back to life, dying for realz in the process.

The Sith fleet is destroyed, the galaxy is free, Rey returns to the Lars homestead on Tatooine and gives herself the name "Rey Skywalker."

Other stuff happens but it's not really important.
Palpatine is still alive (vague reasoning involving cloning), and reveals himself to be the mastermind behind Snoke. Reveals to Kylo Ren that Rey is his grand daughter. After learning this, Rey is conflicted and scared of herself until Luke reveals that he and Leia knew, but she chose to train her anyway because she's good people. Kylo is persuaded by Han Solo's ghost to abandon the dark side. Leia dies. Palpatine has a big army of star destroyers, each with the power to destroy planets. Lando gathers an army of randoms to destroy them. Rey and Kylo fight Palpatine after she refuses to become the new emperor. Palps dies. Rey and Kylo kiss as Kylo dies. Other stuff happens. Chewie explodes but not really.
Hmm thank you both. And rest in pieces Chewie??

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Also, Rey using Luke and Leia's lightsabers to defeat Palpatine felt so fitting to me. Like the Skywalker's themselves were taking him down with Rey's help.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
You can like and love TLJ, fine. But not acknowledging that this movie did nothing to move the plot forward as a mid-trilogy EP should, is straight up bad faith.

I would have loved if for instance, when Snoke dies, that they introduce the Emperor as the big Mastermind right off the bat. Showing him in the trailer was weak and ruined a potential big moment.

I genuinely have no idea how you can think this, unless you think you literally can't tell a Star Wars story without a scary monster man pulling the strings who gets killed in the third movie. TLJ takes Snoke out of the picture to set up Kylo as the main villain of a third movie. Supreme Leader Kylo Ren, leading the First Order, having gained power but finding no satisfaction in it, haunted by what he did to his father, haunted by the ghost of Luke ("See you round, kid"), obsessed with Rey.

Rey with the sacred Jedi texts, training as a Jedi, knowing that she and Kylo are always going to be linked. General Poe is leading a Resistance newly invigorated by Luke's final stand. Lieutenant Finn is training his own squad with his Stormtrooper training or something. Resistance vs. First Order, Jedi Rey vs. Supreme Leader Kylo. That's what Episode IX needed to be. No popup mastermind villain at the eleventh hour, no ridiculous giant army hidden just off-screen, no Rey actually being a famous name; TLJ set up everything and it only needed to be brought home.

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The event Fortnite had to promote the movie was basically Canon :v
To quote Odeko
The opening crawl references Palpatine sending out a transmission revealing himself to galaxy and swearing revenge (a pretty important event, I'd say -- the old dictator that's been dead for 40 years publically announcing his resurrection and current scheme). This is not something we see in the movie, but in fact something that happened in the Fortnite promotion last week, shortly after Geoff Keighley and JJ Abrams got out of the Millenium Falcon, asked people to floss, and then had terrible banter about JJ's tight pants.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some people are arguing that he wanted to tell her he was force sensitive. I imagine the dialogue goes like this in their heads:

"OH MY GOD, WE'RE SINKING"
"REY! I NEED TO TELL YOU SOMETHING!"
"WHAT"
"I'M FORCE SENSITIVE, LIKE YOU! I CAN FEEL THE FORCE DIRECTING ME!"
"OMG, THAT'S SO COOL, I'M SO HAPPY FOR YURHGHGHSDGF *rey chokes as sand enters her mouth*"
It just doesn't make sense because it's clear several times he wants to say it in private when Poe is not there so it's not force sensitive stuff so it's love.
And it goes. Nowhere.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I was under the false idea that TFA was only a fan service nostalgia movie full of mystery boxes because it was the first Star Wars in years, the first movie in a series and it needed to be safe to win back old audiences. This movie proves that if it weren't for The Last Jedi and if Abrams stayed on for all 3, this trilogy would have just been a lamer, more convoluted version of the originals with no real vision behind it except to remind people of the old movies.
Same. For all the talk about wanting JJ to have done the whole trilogy himself this movie makes clear he would not have been able to do anything but replicate the same kind of threats from the OT.

I've mentioned this in one of the other threads, but after generally defending JJ against what I felt were overblown complaints about retreading past movies (in the case of both SW and Trek), this was the first time where I really felt like he was living up to this reputation for being hacky. The guy made two Star Wars movies and they both revolve around finding maps to other characters and planet-killing threats that one-up the Death Star. The guy had to have heard the criticisms about Starkiller being a retread of the Death Star and yet still chose to triple down on it with the Final Order fleet.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
I genuinely have no idea how you can think this, unless you think you literally can't tell a Star Wars story without a scary monster man pulling the strings who gets killed in the third movie. TLJ takes Snoke out of the picture to set up Kylo as the main villain of a third movie. Supreme Leader Kylo Ren, leading the First Order, having gained power but finding no satisfaction in it, haunted by what he did to his father, haunted by the ghost of Luke ("See you round, kid"), obsessed with Rey.

Rey with the sacred Jedi texts, training as a Jedi, knowing that she and Kylo are always going to be linked. General Poe is leading a Resistance newly invigorated by Luke's final stand. Lieutenant Finn is training his own squad with his Stormtrooper training or something. Resistance vs. First Order, Jedi Rey vs. Supreme Leader Kylo. That's what Episode IX needed to be. No popup mastermind villain at the eleventh hour, no ridiculous giant army hidden just off-screen, no Rey actually being a famous name; TLJ set up everything and it only needed to be brought home.

Bingo. It's him getting what he wanted in a sense. He becomes Darth Vader, and with that, all the baggage.

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
My friend just sent me this. I had a good laugh

"So last night at TROS, this guy starts yelling "INCEST" when Kylo and Rey kiss. Nobody says anything. So he does it again and me and two other dudes tell him to shut up. He then starts clapping and claps louder and louder. Then yells something and I start to stand up and the guy behind him reaches down and starts fucking strangling him. So now I see this and see it's handled so I go back to enjoying the movie. Incredible experience."

Oct 28, 2017
Kylo's lying ass, trying to manipulate Rey into joining him, turns out to have not have been telling the whole story, and somehow TLJ was "undone".

TLJ wasn't undone. There were many call backs to what Rian did in a positive way. "You have everything you need." Increased focus on the Rey/Ben dynamic, including the mind link, lightspeed chases as a nod to TLJ's tracking tech, focus on the Jedi texts, etc.

A lot of the same stuff people were accusing TLJ haters of are being slung back in reverse now.
Rey, your parents weren't actually nobody, they were just pretending. No, actually, they were the children of the biggest somebody in the known galaxy!

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Yeah, movie really should have just been about a resurgent Resistance with a rallying cry around the legend of Luke and his last stand on Crait. That no one answered the call before because the FO alone was already so frightening enough but because Lando and Chewie flew around in the Falcon after the Emperor reappeared out of nowhere threatening surrender or die with a thousand OP Star Destroyers felt bad and unearned.

A film just about that final conflict between the FO and Resistance would have been good. No super weapons, just rebuilding the fleet and gathering allies and facing off. Focus on the characters overcoming their final challenges. Poe coming to grips as a leader and balancing out risk vs reward, Finn really facing down the FO and his past with them and Rey/Leia coming to grips that Ben doesn't want to be turned and having to face him once and for all. A third party villain wasn't required. Some doomsday countdown clock wasn't needed. etc. etc.

Yup I agree with this.

Who knew that all the resistance needed was Lando to recruit. Dude recruited the entire galaxy in like 10 minutes.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
To say some positive stuff. I really loved the whole Leia's lightsaber reveal and training with Luke bit. That hit me in the feels real hard. It was great and really made the whole Leia training Rey thing a nice touch. I liked the idea of Leia reaching out to help stop Ben, until they undid that with Force healing. Kerri Russel was cool looking and charming, even if kind of pointless and wasted. Shit going negative again.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Why are male writers in hollywood so obsessed with the notion that a ~strong female character~ must be chaste, forever alone, and suffer immense personal loss, yet without any apparent signs of the lasting grief that would be expected? I'm ready for a woman to write a SW movie now thanks

Rey cheerily sliding down the sand like she somehow missed the hellish landscapes she struggled to survive in, back in her childish hairstyle and with the borrowed droid she started her journey with? This is the same person who used to dream of being taken away from an isolated desert. Who would dream of oceans and islands to comfort herself at night. Who was scared of becoming like the lonely old woman at Niima Outpost, still struggling just to continue existing (but not living.)

BgbYg25.jpg

And yes, her costume was to make the Carrie scenes easier. No reason she couldn't have let her hair down and had an outfit change post-training. What that costume and hair change signified in TLJ was a coming of age. She already broke out of the cycle of life on Jakku and the moments when she experiences the sights and places she could previously only dream about are some of the rare instances she seems happy and peaceful.

ObbSKad.gif

2OqzWvv.gif

Maz's fateful words to Rey in TFA:

FtVsrep.gif

SIKE she's now trapped in a perpetual young adulthood back to looking and acting like her abandoned 6 year old self, but she has a sweet new weapon and a couple dead people for company. I don't want to hear some bullshit about she was maybe only temporarily there, that just means they didn't even give her real closure because the binary sunset fanservice shot (that TLJ did better already) was deemed more important than the fate of this trilogy's hero. She was free from her personal hell on Jakku, having her end in the place that it was a parallel of is straight up character regression.

"Star Wars is a fairytale" - JJ Abrams
"TRoS has a hopeful ending" - also JJ Abrams

ok dude

Great post.

Rey sliding down the hill was actually just JJ being wistful for the introduction to Rey which was his strongest moment in the trilogy and his only real notion of how to write her well.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
It just doesn't make sense because it's clear several times he wants to say it in private when Poe is not there so it's not force sensitive stuff so it's love.
And it goes. Nowhere.
The romance stuff here is basically as awkward as it can possibly be.

Finn wants to confess to Rey, but doesn't.
Rose confessed to Finn, but is ignored.
Jannah seems to have a thing for Finn, but it doesn't go anywhere.
Rey kisses Kylo Ren, but he dies.
And Poe is into Zori and she seemingly is into him, but she rejects him at the end. (it is depressingly clear that she only exists to confirm Poe's heterosexuality)

It's hard to know what they were even trying to do here.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
As badass as the Lightning Storm was, is anyone a little disappointed we didn't get some Palpatine saber theatrics? I imagine a swell of music as he calls up his lightsaber and get chills.

"It's treason, then."

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

And Poe is into Zori and she seemingly is into him, but she rejects him at the end. (it is depressingly clear that she only exists to confirm Poe's heterosexuality)
Poe is bi. It's canon, believe me.
As badass as the Lightning Storm was, is anyone a little disappointed we didn't get some Palpatine saber theatrics? I imagine a swell of music as he calls up his lightsaber and get chills.

"It's treason, then."
When they revealed Leia's saber and it's only used to deflect lightning. Deflating.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Why are male writers in hollywood so obsessed with the notion that a ~strong female character~ must be chaste, forever alone, and suffer immense personal loss, yet without any apparent signs of the lasting grief that would be expected? I'm ready for a woman to write a SW movie now thanks

Rey cheerily sliding down the sand like she somehow missed the hellish landscapes she struggled to survive in, back in her childish hairstyle and with the borrowed droid she started her journey with? This is the same person who used to dream of being taken away from an isolated desert. Who would dream of oceans and islands to comfort herself at night. Who was scared of becoming like the lonely old woman at Niima Outpost, still struggling just to continue existing (but not living.)

BgbYg25.jpg

And yes, her costume was to make the Carrie scenes easier. No reason she couldn't have let her hair down and had an outfit change post-training. What that costume and hair change signified in TLJ was a coming of age. She already broke out of the cycle of life on Jakku and the moments when she experiences the sights and places she could previously only dream about are some of the rare instances she seems happy and peaceful.

ObbSKad.gif

2OqzWvv.gif

Maz's fateful words to Rey in TFA:

FtVsrep.gif

SIKE she's now trapped in a perpetual young adulthood back to looking and acting like her abandoned 6 year old self, but she has a sweet new weapon and a couple dead people for company. I don't want to hear some bullshit about she was maybe only temporarily there, that just means they didn't even give her real closure because the binary sunset fanservice shot (that TLJ did better already) was deemed more important than the fate of this trilogy's hero. She was free from her personal hell on Jakku, having her end in the place that it was a parallel of is straight up character regression.

"Star Wars is a fairytale" - JJ Abrams
"TRoS has a hopeful ending" - also JJ Abrams

ok dude
Because 'poetry' and nostalgia.

I fully agree with you by the way and I would also like to add that it makes no sense in general why she would even bring back Leia and Luke's lightsabers (the last physical reminder of their legacy) to Tatooine, and specifically the Lars Homestead, to bury them.

Luke couldn't wait to get the fuck off Tatooine in A New Hope, even going so far as to want to join the Empire as it's the only way he could see himself getting off the planet. Furthermore, the Lars Homestead would probably only contain negative memories for Luke as the last time he was there he was looking at the charred and burned remains of his parental figures. If the people that raised me got horribly murdered in my childhood home and my final memories of that place were me looking at their mutilated corpses, I sure as hell wouldn't want to go back there.

Leia has absolutely zero connection to Tatooine, except that she was once the slave of Jabba the Hutt, which is probably not a very joyful memory.

Symbolically burying them both in a place that Luke hated and Leia has never seen before in her entire life makes absolutely no goddamn sense.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
One thing I will say I don't really like is how people are framing JJ Abrams as writing it to spite Rian Johnson.

I try to keep the artist's personal life seperate from the art they're making in general, but this feels particularly meanspirited since, based on interviews, as far as we know JJ Abrams and Rian Johnson have ton of respect for one another and are amicable. Whether that's actually the case behind closed doors, who knows, but that's none of our business until it comes into the public light.

As far as we know, JJ Abrams and Rian Johnson just made the best movies they personally could have and they just had different creative visions and different creative drives. There's no reason to assume that JJ Abrams wrote any of TRoS out of spite. (even if that "A Jedi's weapon deserves more respect" really really really feels like it)
idk, I'm someone who totally bought into JJ's public comments about respecting Rian's vision and building on it with this movie, and liking the choices TLJ made even if they weren't the ones he would've made. But at the same time I just don't know how to square that with this movie. Revealing Rey as Palpatine's granddaughter especially is such a direct rebuke of TLJ's core message that you can't help but feel JJ either really didn't like Rian's story or didn't understand it. He wanted to have it both ways here but it doesn't really work imo. Rey comes from 'special' blood, but Luke tells her what matters is her spirit not her blood...which is fine, but that if her blood doesn't matter, why make a point of her being Palpatine's granddaughter at all?

Slythe

Oct 26, 2017
TLJ is MGSV, and TROS is MGS4.

TLJ was a great subversion of expectations with a unique message - and overall a fantastic piece of filmmaking, but it did not pay off for people more invested in the overall plot and lore. TROS is a fucking Star Wars fever dream from start to finish, but it has these new characters on their most fun and heartwarming adventure yet.

I really liked TFA. I really, really liked TLJ. And adored this movie, totally embracing that it's complete bananas from the jump.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York

But that one old lady rebel is a lesbian cause they showed .5 seconds of her kissing another woman at the end! Equality achieved.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
The opening crawl in full. I legitimately can't even.

The dead speak! The galaxy has heard a mysterious broadcast, a threat of REVENGE in the sinister voice of the late EMPEROR PALPATINE.

GENERAL LEIA ORGANA dispatches secret agents to gather intelligence, while REY, the last hope of the Jedi, trains for battle against the diabolical FIRST ORDER.

Meanwhile, Supreme Leader KYLO REN rages in search of the phantom Emperor, determined to destroy any threat to his power….

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, could they not have tried to pay this off with a final scene between Rey and Finn with him training alongside her?
It's cowardice they made him Force sensitive in the movie but no one acknowledges it, and it's never explored. They give the Jedi moments and lines (choosing the right ship, sensing Rey, giving sagely Force advice to Jannah) but never pay off on it.

It's trying to redeem the original sin of the ST with the bait and switch making Finn the stepping stone for real hero. This just came across as malicious that it will never be explored in a meaningful way. How this was crafted and signed off on is beyond me.

MadScientist

Oct 27, 2017

This is exactly how I thought this final 3rd film should have gone. TLJ set up Kylo to be the main villain. He's killed a lot of people and probably shouldn't be redeemed. Luke could haunt him as a force ghost which would be fun and funny (hinted at when he says "see you around kid"). Lightsaber was broken, so with the ancient books she has to go and find a new crystal and build a lightsaber. Maybe a dual staff one since she loves using a staff. TLJ set up an easy final movie. JJ - let's bring back palpatine (ugh!).

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA

those two ladies kissed in the background for 1.5 seconds so Star Wars is gay confirmed

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
So were the people chanting in the room with the sith throne real or were they just a reference to the "all the sith are in me" line? Are they all dead now?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
idk, I'm someone who totally bought into JJ's public comments about respecting Rian's vision and building on it with this movie, and liking the choices TLJ made even if they weren't the ones he would've made. But at the same time I just don't know how to square that with this movie. Revealing Rey as Palpatine's granddaughter especially is such a direct rebuke of TLJ's core message that you can't help but feel JJ either really didn't like Rian's story or didn't understand it. He wanted to have it both ways here but it doesn't really work imo. Rey comes from 'special' blood, but Luke tells her what matters is her spirit not her blood...which is fine, but that if her blood doesn't matter, why make a point of her being Palpatine's granddaughter at all?

Like, there is a way to do the "your blood isn't important, you are" story with a character who's descended from important people.

But the way you do that is by having what makes them special HAVE NOTHING TO DO with the person they came from. If she was Palpatine's granddaughter but had ZERO connection to the Force? That would be fine. Instead, she's the bestest Jedi ever because her grandpa was the bestest Sith ever. It's stupid.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017

Also Sheev fucked someone.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The Most Important Scenes from the Rise of Skywalker... (As I remember them)

(Kylo Ren lands on mysterious planet)
Kylo Ren: Okay, I am now supreme leader, but Palpatine is alive. How do we know that? Because of something that happened in Fortnite.
Palpatine: I am a corpse.
Kylo Ren: Okay, how the hell are you even alive? You were disintegrated!
Palpatine: Eh, I got better.
Kylo Ren: That's it?
Palpatine: Yeah.
Kylo Ren: That's all we get.
Palpatine: Oh, kill the girl. Or don't. I'm very confused as to what my plan was.

(Rey is training)
Rey: Ah, J.J. couldn't have Luke levitate rocks so he's having me do it!

Poe: We're going to go on adventure.
Rey: This is the like the only time we're all going on an adventure together. Also, you messed up the Falcon.
Poe: Come on, we're like best friends now!
Rey: Barely. Come to think of it, you and I only interacted at the end of the last movie, so even though we actually really don't care for each other, the movie's gonna pretend that the three of us are really good friends now.
Finn: Yeah, let's go.
Rose: Can I come?
Finn: No Rose, you can't. Shut up.

(in the quicksand)
Finn: We have come across a dagger that can tell us where the Sith are!
Rey: Why?
3PO: I can translate it. But it would require deleting my memory.
Poe: Okay, let's do it.
3PO: Seriously? You're not even going to care about my well being? Even Han Solo treated me with more respect than you do and yet the movie's going to act like we're friends later.
Finn: Don't worry about it, Poe is just an unlikeable asshole in this movie.

Finn: Rey! Chewie's on that ship!
Rey: *tries to stop it but blows up the ship* Oh no! I killed Chewie!
Chewie: Rarwwrr... (Actually, I'm okay. I'm just on another ship)
Rey: Oh, ain't that convenient.

Kylo Ren: I'm back in the mask even though I made a point of destroying it completely. Gotta sell those toys!

CPO: We're going to pretend we're friends. But really, I hate you all. My real friends were Luke, Han and Leia, you have all treated me like crap. Especially you, Poe, I hate your guts because you're an asshole.
Poe: Whatever.
Rey: It's okay, R2 will have your backup so this is just us pretending our movie has stakes.

Kylo Ren: You parents really in fact loved you, they were nobody but your grandfather is Palpatine.
Rey: Why? You're telling me Palpatine, the move evil person in the galaxy actually had SEX with someone?
Kylo Ren: Yeah, don't try to make sense of it. It is J.J. Abrams and he is that petty that he would spit in Rian Johnson's face like that.

Jannah: Hey, I was a First Order indoctrinate too.
Finn: ....yeah. What's the point of this?
Jannah: We're trying to pretend that my character is interesting along with Poe's old girlfriend or whatever the hell she was.
Finn: ....is this all I get? I was a Stormtrooper who rebelled... and yet in terms of character development... I'm getting the short end of the stick here.

(Leia dies to redeem Ben)
Ben: I don't know what to do.
Han: Don't be evil.
Ben: Why are you here? Couldn't it have been Luke or Anakin who showed up? Someone who actually would've made SENSE.
Anakin: Yeah, it would make sense, but J.J. doesn't want to acknowledge me at all. I'm just sitting back and doing nothing.
Ben: Okay I'm good now.

Rey: I have decided to quit and run away.
Luke: Don't do that.
Rey: You knew I was a Palpatine?
Luke: Yeah, we did somehow even though the last film didn't really indicate that we did, it's just a messy attempt to get the retcons into place.
Rey: I'm going back.
Luke: Yeah, we basically just blew through 6 movies worth of material in one.

(Rey confronts Palpatine)
Palpatine: Kill me and all Sith shall become part of you!
Rey: I don't want to.
Ben: I have beaten the Knights of Ren.
Rey: Who?
Palpatine: I changed my mind, I'm just gonna suck the life out of both of you and rule the galaxy in my ridiculously convoluted plan.

(Palpatine starts to blow up the armada with his lightning)
Rey: I know! I'm going to deflect them back at you with a lightsaber.
Palpatine: Ha. Mace Windu tried that and it didn't work.
Rey: I have TWO lightsabers!
Mace Windu: You're telling me all I ever had to do was use two of those things!
Palpatine: Ahhhh! I'm being disintegrated even though I probably could've just stopped shooting lightning.
Rey: I seriously don't know how you caused so much pain but you are one stupid motherfucker.
(Palpatine blows up, the bad ships stop being bad)
Ben: I am significantly more interesting than Rey, but I have to sacrifice myself to save her.
J.J. Abrams: Yes you do, you have to die here.
Ben: *sighs* Fine.
Rey: Oh Ben, let me kiss you! We are sending such a good message to people!
Ben: Yeah, too bad I'm dead. *fades away*

Rey: I am Rey. Rey Skywalker.
Luke: Hold on. My lineage is gone, so are Han and Leia's. Yet it's a PALPATINE who gets to get start the Jedi Order again.... and there's no indication that the cycle won't repeat and yet we don't see the problem of a Palpatine carrying on the legacy of the Skywalker?
Rey: Not even slightly!
Luke: Also, we didn't form much of a bond, wouldn't you take the name "Solo" instead?
Leia: I was more Organa than Skywalker.
Rey: Marketing! You see, it's totally cool! I carry on your legacy.
Luke: Right. Let's get this straight, at the end of this movie, I'm dead, Leia's dead, Han's dead, Lando has one of those mysterious relationships with that girl nobody cares about, and a Palpatine gets to be the hero of the legacy essentially giving him the last laugh and we don't see the problem here?
Rey: Not even slightly!
Luke: *Sighs* 42 years and THIS is how it ends.

The End.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
It's really sad that a John Williams score has less memorable music than Rogue One's. I can't think of a single distinct track from any of the three films, it's all callbacks.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
So were the people chanting in the room with the sith throne real or were they just a reference to the "all the sith are in me" line? Are they all dead now?
when they were getting fucked up by flying boulders they seemed pretty real to me

it's been a vaguely established thing since before TFA even came out that there were Sith cultists gathering in the Unknown Regions working on something

It's really sad that a John Williams score has less memorable music than Rogue One's. I can't think of a single distinct track from any of the three films, it's all callbacks.
The Spark though

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
The moment Leia Force Phone Call'd Kylo felt like the "Martha" moment of the movie
I love how incredibly forced it felt. And I love how they very obviously telegraphed it right before it happened ("Leia is about to try and contact Ben, it will use all of her strength!"), because the audience is dumb as nails.

This movie almost aggressively insults the intelligence of the Star Wars audience. Maybe it was a meta retort against TLJ critics. "This is what you wanted, you idiots."

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017

Nobody in Star Wars is allowed to have sex. If you do, horrible things will happen to you. See Anakin/Padme, Sheev, Leia and Han.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, Palpatine's granddaughter, what a load of shite that twist was. I'm not against it because I didn't come up with it... but is that the best they can do?

Maple

Oct 27, 2017

"It's treason, then."

Yes. One of the biggest issues with this film is how it cheapens the Emperor. They brought him back....for what? We get 20 seconds of dialogue from him at the beginning, he's MIA for the entire middle of the film, and in the final act, he's killed in the most laughable way possible just a few seconds after he returns to full strength. No real battle, no epic showdown, nothing.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
In this futuristic timeline, the child could have just been a test tube baby.

I would expect if he was a test tube baby he would be... Something.

With Sheev son being a nobody it feels more like a random affair Sheev had, probably one of many considering how little he cared.

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
Also... I was sort of spoiled on a plot point of the movie... randomly.

Mega64 posted a link to their podcast and used an image of someone wearing a shirt with "REST IN PEACE, CHEWBACCA MOM" and I ... being a gullible asshole went to search if she actually died. It was a lapse in judgment obviously but I went to type in "chewbacca" into Google and of course the first autofill is "Chewbacca dies the rise of skywalker" and then I dreaded it all movie. Then it "happen" and then it.. "Didn't." I was relieved but LOL @ my dumb ass being half spoiled

Status
Not open for further replies.