• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
You guys ever sit there thinking about how palpatine's grand plan for the final SW movie was to be a sithy 19 year old girl?

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
You guys ever sit there thinking about how palpatine's grand plan for the final SW movie was to be a sithy 19 year old girl?
c95399472a214432e0bf50fca0fd9cd8.gif

Oct 28, 2017
I gotta say JJ is incredible at the pulpy, fantasy adventure stuff, which is exactly what I go see Star Wars movies for. Every second of screen time with Finn and/or Poe had me grinning ear to ear.

A really great Star Wars trilogy might have been Rian Johnson writing the Rey/Force parts, and JJ handling the Finn/Poe/Resistance stuff.
Is he though? The pulpy stuff wasn't even fun in a Indiana Jones relic hunt kinda way, it was just so scattershot and nonsensical

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
I'm honestly depressed as hell that we're never going to get Finn/Ben/Rey/Poe on an adventure together, especially with how Adam was channeling Han for a bit. Like, I'm fucking SAD about that. All these guys in the prime of their lives and careers, plenty of stories to still tell with these guys but because the fandom is tearing itself apart and because of uncertainty or whatever we've got to completely trash the group and move on to something else.

And of course there's the other side of me that gets it too, like, we need something new, of course, it's time to move on, but....sigh.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Which makes no sense and is completely inconsistent with every previous Star Wars film, but since this isn't TLJ it'll get a free pass from most people.

Like how TLJ gets a free pass despite all the inconsistencies in how ships and the tech works in previous canon materials? Seriously TLJ did the exact same thing and people were like DONT OVER ANALYZE STAR WARS NERD.

These movies make it up as they go along

That's convenient - a load-bearing final boss for an entire space fleet.

Have you ever seen star wars? That's how every one of them has come to an end. Convenience

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's hard to be too mad about it given the circumstances, but every Leia scene in this movie was awful. It was so clearly stitched together from spare parts, it was so distracting. All shot reverse shot to the back of some non-Carrie Fisher woman's head. Other characters say the significant things for her. Super kludgy.

Also I think half of Lando's lines are voice over while he's not on camera.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to be too mad about it given the circumstances, but every Leia scene in this movie was awful. It was so clearly stitched together from spare parts, it was so distracting. All shot reverse shot to the back of some non-Carrie Fisher woman's head. Other characters say the significant things for her. Super kludgy.

I imagine most lines in these movies, on-screen or off, are ADR'd in. ADR is incredibly common nowadays, especially in big effects films like these.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm honestly depressed as hell that we're never going to get Finn/Ben/Rey/Poe on an adventure together, especially with how Adam was channeling Han for a bit. Like, I'm fucking SAD about that. All these guys in the prime of their lives and careers, plenty of stories to still tell with these guys but because the fandom is tearing itself apart and because of uncertainty or whatever we've got to completely trash the group and move on to something else.

And of course there's the other side of me that gets it too, like, we need something new, of course, it's time to move on, but....sigh.
Well, no one forced LFL to put this cast in a saga meant to end another saga. They could have gotten their own story

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Like how TLJ gets a free pass despite all the inconsistencies in how ships and the tech works in previous canon materials? Seriously TLJ did the exact same thing and people were like DONT OVER ANALYZE STAR WARS NERD.

These movies make it up as they go along

Have you ever seen star wars? That's how every one of them has come to an end. Convenience
you don't have to delve into Hyperspace technology and how it works for TROS to be a terrible movie, that's the problem

Like if you have issues with the technical minutiae of TLJ fine, whatever, it doesn't bother me

But this is just straight up a bad movie without even worrying about lightspeed skipping or hyperspace lanes or travel time or any of that shit

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I think TLJ and this one imply there is some sort special once in a gen bond between them. So I don't think they were doing it necessarily of their own accord

So the whole force dyad thing? And is that just simply because Skywalker and Palpatine had crazy force blood?

Also, big picture Star Wars question here...

If Rey was a Palpatine, did her parents have ZERO force sensitivity? Did that skip a generation? And how did the Emperor come to be? Was he the first of his generation back in 1-3? I'm assuming there's some comic or book that talks about this. Because the other thing I'm trying to figure out is how Rey became so insanely powerful with the force (Force Lightning, pulling transporters, floating like it was nothing special, etc) with what I took away as minimal training.

Oct 28, 2017
you don't have to delve into Hyperspace technology and how it works for TROS to be a terrible movie, that's the problem

Like if you have issues with the technical minutiae of TLJ fine, whatever, it doesn't bother me

But this is just straight up a bad movie without even worrying about lightspeed skipping or hyperspace lanes or travel time or any of that shit
Exactly. It's such a disingenuous argument

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York

Ben changing because his mother literally just said his name because of a Force phone call had me groaning.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I would have rather seen whatever Trevorrow was prepping. I can't imagine it was even worse than this.

I'm honestly kind of heartbroken. I've disliked a handful of them but I've never walked out of a SW hating it. Like, I loved TLJ, and the writing was on the wall that they were going to overcorrect to try to please fans or whatever, so I had braced myself going in, but I wasn't prepared for a return to "We have to follow the clues and the map!" macguffin-peddling, don't-stop-to-think nonsense, and I was just floored by how earth-statteringly pandering it all was. I still can't believe it.

It's everything I worried they'd do after TLJ mixed with all the bad aspects of TFA cranked up to 11.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
I cried like a fucking baby when Luke rose the X-Wing from the ocean. That was THE scene in this movie for me. Playing 'Yoda and the Force', mirroring the scene from The Empire Strikes Back. Just cinematic perfection.

It was cinematic perfection in ESB. Here, it's a rehash, as in Star Trek Into Darkness.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017

Yep.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Lando's presence was just weird. I think Williams dialogue delivery just felt off for the film. Like the ending chat with Jannah did not play out like they had intended. His reveal was also kinda unintentionally funny. I liked his heart to heart moment with Poe though.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
That's convenient - a load-bearing final boss for an entire space fleet.

Complaining about the tech is stupid, as every movie just makes it up as they go. Much of TLJ plot focused on them just tossing out established star wars tech canon to make the story work.

The issues with TROS really have nothing to do with technobabble. The movie has tons of issues, but to be mad at the technobabble crap when everyone was giving it a pass in previous movies makes for weak arguments.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
What I'm reading in this thread is that there were some people who wanted a Last Jedi sequel (somehow) but instead got a Force Awakens sequel. I'm totally fine with it because I loved Force Awakens and hated Last Jedi.
That is not really the case, and I am not even sure that people who hated TLJ will necessarily love the choices made in this film either.

fwiw I loved both TFA and TLJ, and feel very mixed on this movie.

Dec 12, 2017
That Lando return with all the ships was such a feeble attempt at a 'Portals' moment in Endgame.

Only thing missing was each ship arriving one by one from hyperspace.

Shamefully bad.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Complaining about the tech is stupid, as every movie just makes it up as they go. Much of TLJ plot focused on them just tossing out established star wars tech canon to make the story work.

The issues with TROS really have nothing to do with technobabble

Palps having a megafleet he just conveniently hid from the entire galaxy is pretty dumb regardless of the fact the heroes get an instant win button when he dies.

Jittan

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 19, 2019
I am one of those 40 year old, forever a fan people who greatly disliked TLJ because it was Star Wars. This was Star Wars. Was it a good movie? Hell no, I think just about everyone sees the pacing issues, the fact that JJ felt he had to almost do a complete 360 around TLJ. But.....

When you try to tell me you are ending the SKywalker saga, the things I have found solace and excitement in for the majority of my life, this is how you do it. Its unabashedly Star Wars, and not just Star Wars, but this feels like a legends book come to life. To me, its how you end the Saga and wipe the slate for whole new generations. Fuck even Hamill LOOKED happier in his acting than TLJ. TLJ was the Empire of the entire Star Wars saga. And i give JJ props for being able to bring it up in slight ways and yet still pretend it wasnt there.

I mean FUCK, Poe's response to the person that brings up Hodo towards the end is great. He acknowledges her for what she did, but says it wouldn't work in this case. In my mind that was directed RIGHT at Johnson.

I happy. Im ready to move on to new stories and new characters in whatever ways they wanna go know.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I have a feeling this talking point will never die, but I can't help but stress that plotting things out might enhance world consistency to some degree, but that does not make it in itself good writing.

Like the problem of Palpatine returning isn't that it wasn't hinted at in the first two movies. The problem is that he is a retread of "Evil old dude with no character complexity wanting to take over the galaxy using evil magic" and it doesn't offer anything new in regards to that. All it is "Hey, you know how cool it was that he died in RotJ? Well, what if he dies in TRoS WHILE CHANNELING ALL THE SITH WHILE REY CHANNELS ALL THE JEDI!!!"

If we got what we got in TRoS, but we had hints that Palps was working behind the scenes in TFA and TLJ, it'd be just as stupid as it is now. Bad writing is the problem of this movie, not unplanned writing.
The sequel trilogy always lacked vision/imagination imo, so i would argue bringing Palpatine back doesn't make it any worse, i just wish it was handled a bit better but Disney will just make another series in between movies, probably.
Im sad he is dead again though , that was some revival of f shit

Last edited:

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
What I'm reading in this thread is that there were some people who wanted a Last Jedi sequel (somehow) but instead got a Force Awakens sequel. I'm totally fine with it because I loved Force Awakens and hated Last Jedi.

I was under the false idea that TFA was only a fan service nostalgia movie full of mystery boxes because it was the first Star Wars in years, the first movie in a series and it needed to be safe to win back old audiences. This movie proves that if it weren't for The Last Jedi and if Abrams stayed on for all 3, this trilogy would have just been a lamer, more convoluted version of the originals with no real vision behind it except to remind people of the old movies.

bringing back Sheev felt like Abrams throwing a temper tantrum because Johnson killed his Sheev ripoff, preventing the trilogy from being a nostalgia wankfest. But ohhh boy did he find a way anyway

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Palps having a megafleet he just conveniently hid from the entire galaxy is pretty dumb regardless of the fact the heroes get an instant win button when he dies.

His death had nothing to do with the fleet battle. Outside of Rey stopping his super sayan lightning, the Resistance beat the Sith fleet on their own. The resistance was winning against the fleet before palpy went pew pew.

Its a repeat of ROTJ, the battle in the throne room had nothing to do with the battle over endor.

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
Also even if Lightspeed skipping is dumb, that scene looks so sick. It was a great way of quickly showing cool planetts and locations in the galaxy.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I mentioned this in the previous thread, but it bears repeating.

In the new Rise of Kylo Ren comics it is confirmed that Ben did not kill any of Luke's students and did not destroy the Jedi Temple. He thought he killed Luke when he collapsed the hut, but someone else sent a lightning storm to destroy the temple .

I cannot believe they are going to tell the story of Ben's fall in a comic?! A fucking comic where the most stupid idiotic stuff is allowed. Not a series of novels where we would get better character building. This EU is a mess.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Well tbf... It was in Fortnite :v

Wait what?

I totally agree with you on the introduction of Palpatine.

A lot of people complaining about the whole quest for an item, I actually loved it since it introduced us to many scenes and worlds.

Funniest scene in the whole movie to me was 3POs knowledge on that Burning man style celebration.

Was anyone else expecting Palpatine to start floating around using his lightning and laughing just like in the SNES game? I was really hoping for that lol.

I was expecting kinda like a 2 phase boss fight lol:
1) Body of palps vs rey (pretty much what we got)
2) Soul of palps (massive gaseous face like a holoprojection) vs a load of force ghosts for MAXIMUM NOSTALGIA

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
I would have rather seen whatever Trevorrow was prepping. I can't imagine it was even worse than this.

How did Trevorrow get anywhere near something of this magnitude I'll never understand. A forgettable sci-fi comedy, then failing upward to major blockbusters. Hollywood is a strange institution.

I was expecting kinda like a 2 phase boss fight lol
was expecting:
2) Soul of palps (massive face like a holoprojection) vs a load of force ghosts for MAXIMUM NOSTALGIA

Phase 2 has rey summon light side force ghosts for MAXIMUM I don't even know what.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
I've seen a lot of discussion in regards to how Palpatine procreates. Y'all need to realise something: that lighting he can shoot from his hands? That's his cum.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I knew what kind of movie it was going to be right at the opening crawl.

Didn't need to wait half the movie or even 10 mins for that in my case lol.

Lmao when I saw the crawl just say "Palpatine is back" with no explanation whatsoever I knew this was gonna be super messy lol

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not big on the Snoke clone shit, especially when the TLJ novelization talks about how he was an ancient alien in the unknown regions who had a connection with Palpatine and that they formed a contingency plan. He was basically the ultimate sith cultist who had no interest in BEING sith. Palpatine deceiving him too is so much more interesting than "he's a clone." Which... Of who? Palpatine? Why is he fucked up looking? Why didn't he know he was a clone?

I enjoyed the movie, but it's scared. It's scared of the fans who want answers for no reason other than to have them, so we get kinda bad answers. The only thing I was very happy with was Ben's redemption, but then they had to go and kill him because people would've whined too much about "space Nazi getting whitewashed" because we can't separate reality from fiction

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
That Lando return with all the ships was such a feeble attempt at a 'Portals' moment in Endgame.

Only thing missing was each ship arriving one by one from hyperspace.

Shamefully bad.
I think the rolling music cue as they showed up diving into the main theme was dope though. Obvious, but exactly the kind of fanservice that has it's place in the finale (talking solely about the use of the music, not whether the actual scene was earned). Williams did the heavy lifting for that scene, which I think was effective primarily from that perspective.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
It was just too fast, and there were too many new and pointless characters shoe horned in who clearly had tons of scenes left on the cutting room floor (Jannah and Lando stuff is bamboozling, her character was a random nothing).

Knights of Ren were also utterly pointless altogether.

Too many deaths and super immediate corrections. It was just daft.

Sitting here thinking about it again it just all feels so incoherent and messy. Like really after all this and it goes out like a hyperactive kid on too much sugar like that?!

I will need to see it again of course. I detested TLJ on my first viewing but it grew on me subsequently. I just want a coherent movie that actually paces itself well not this mess.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Something keeps really bothering me about the dagger. They get it because it has an inscription on it that tells them where to go. Fine, that works, whatever. But then Rey is like "oh the Force is now telling me we're going to need it for another reason" and that reason ends up being something relatively meaningless. Like what was the point of any of that?

Somehow this mega-budget high-profile movie feels like it was rushed and absolutely no one cared to think about any of it. It's like they just wrote shit down and went with the first draft without thinking, "Does this make sense? Does this add to the story?"

Why take the time to have Rey go out of her way to go find the dagger just for it to end up being a little weird puzzle piece thing when you could have had them find where the wayfinder was on the Death Star some other way? You know, by the fact that it was in the Emperor's throne room, maybe? The most obvious place it could possibly be?

And again, this is nitpicking. The movie has WAAYYYYYYYY bigger issues than this. But to me this is a sign that no one spent the time to really massage the story or the script, they just kinda slapped stuff together and said, "This is fine."

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
Wait what?

I was expecting kinda like a 2 phase boss fight lol
was expecting:
2) Soul of palps (massive face like a holoprojection) vs a load of force ghosts for MAXIMUM NOSTALGIA

That wouldve been epic!
At this point who cares what made sense, just do it!

Seeing this movie really made me appreciate the lightsaber battles in the prequels especially Ep. 3
That's one thing Lucas really delivered to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.