• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
The shrug was absolutely aces. It felt like it just FIT his redemption arc.

Also, the passing of objects and fighting across the galaxy through teleportation was super weird and didn't make sense to me. How was that possible?
I think TLJ and this one imply there is some sort special once in a gen bond between them. So I don't think they were doing it necessarily of their own accord

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Why does one lightsaber absorb Force lightning, but two lightsabers in a cross pattern reflects it?

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
What I'm reading in this thread is that there were some people who wanted a Last Jedi sequel (somehow) but instead got a Force Awakens sequel. I'm totally fine with it because I loved Force Awakens and hated Last Jedi.

I don't think you're prepared in this case. It's really not a sequel to either. It truly feels nothing like TFA. It feels like a movie from a completely different franchise altogether. Just prepare yourself mentally for how utterly bizarre it is.

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
Movie was really meh. I still got emotional when chewies finds out leia is dead. That punched me in the gut so hard. lso the three hugging at the end was great. I also loved that Poe and Finn are Generals together.

Finn got shafted though in this trilogy, basically just reiterates what he's learned about being your own person/fighting for the greater good and shoots gun.

Babu Frick was amazing, the whole Kamina scenes were awesome.

The palpatine confrontation was dumb. If he could just revive himself by draing life essence of kylo and rey, why wasn't that the plan?

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Not really, the idea that palpatine could return its not bad itself, he was researching some mysterious way of keeping himself inmortal since long before he was emperor, with all resources no wonder he found a way.

Now the execution was poorly handled there should have been hints at least last episode to properly build up his return, instead tlJ went in another direction back and forth and now we have rushed emperor revival :^(
He was still fantastic and made the sequels better :^3

Didn't Ian himself said the Emperor being here was a new thing JJ came up for TROS? Can't put hints about something that was never in the plans.

JJ probably wanted Snoke be the final boss, while Rian wanted Kylo.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Trying to stay positive, there's one thing that comes to mind: the parallels of Kylo/Ben and Han Solo. When Kylo raises his finger to shut up the officers like Han did in Hoth. When he shots the Knight of Ren like Han did in TFA. Those bits are actually good

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
What I'm reading in this thread is that there were some people who wanted a Last Jedi sequel (somehow) but instead got a Force Awakens sequel. I'm totally fine with it because I loved Force Awakens and hated Last Jedi.

No, people are oversimplifying like usual. Ben's connection with Rey and then redemption makes no sense without TLJ. It was one of the few things in this movie that felt really earned because of TLJ. It's a sequel to both movies and probably part of the reason it feels overstuffed.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you're prepared in this case. It's really not a sequel to either. It truly feels nothing like TFA. It feels like a movie from a completely different franchise altogether. Just prepare yourself mentally for how utterly bizarre it is.
After the 45 minutes to an hour (which is a basically an entire film that needed to be fleshed out), it's a lot like TFA

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Didn't Ian himself said the Emperor being here was a new thing JJ came up for TROS? Can't put hints about something that was never in the plans.

JJ probably wanted Snoke be the final boss, while Rian wanted Kylo.
You could tell he wanted Smoke as the final big bad originally. And oh I've seen the movie, I loved it fyi folks.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Last edited:

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing about the final act makes any sense at all. I still don't understand how the Sith Empire was destroyed. Something about a tower signal keeping them aware of where to go? Like what? We don't even see the Sith fleet get destroyed - you have thousands of ships and suddenly the Resistance starts celebrating that they won.

Palpatine's plans made no sense. He wanted different things and his motivations were all over the place. The final "battle" with him and Rey is just so hokey and empty. Nothing happens. She reflects lightning back at him and he explodes (lol). Not real battle, no cool Sith stuff, just stupidity across the board. It's highly anti-climactic and just empty.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
This was a godawful film. The word I would use to describe is inept. That first half is probably the worst half of any Star Wars film to date. The second half is definitely better but man this is a bad film.

i'm surprised as JJ always seemed at least competent and TFA is a vastly better film than this even with the rehashing TFA does.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That's exactly what TLJ was, a smarmy way to basically throw out everything from Force Awakens. Funny people are pissed at JJ for doing the same shit Rian did.

Going in a slightly different direction than fans expected is a little different than going completely out of your way to spitefully retcon or invalidate everything the last movie did.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Rey would be such a hot sith. Those silky robes, the gnashing teeth, the red lightsaber, hmmmm. She could have brought order to the galaxy, and balance to the Force. What a waste.

Maybe when Palpatine reconstitutes himself in a few years time he can try and seduce Fin's Force-sensitive son to the dark side and try manipulating Rey all over again.

RIGHT, JJ? WE ON THE SAME PAGE, FAM?

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
Audience score down just a tick after adding an additional 2k reviews last night. 7k reviews, 86% audience score.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Remember when you all were mad because Palpatine felt beyond needing a lightsaber?

Well he's certainly not beyond TWO lightsabers....

Lmao...fuck this film ):

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
I'll post my thoughts from the spoiler thread. I saw it last night, and....it was okish. better then tlj

It felt like a film where about 30% of it should have happened in a previous film that had Palpatines voice as a cliffhanger, rather then as a footnote at the beginning of this one.

I totally agree with you on the introduction of Palpatine.

A lot of people complaining about the whole quest for an item, I actually loved it since it introduced us to many scenes and worlds.

Funniest scene in the whole movie to me was 3POs knowledge on that Burning man style celebration.

Was anyone else expecting Palpatine to start floating around using his lightning and laughing just like in the SNES game? I was really hoping for that lol.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Going in a slightly different direction than fans expected is a little different than going completely out of your way to spitefully retcon or invalidate everything the last movie did.

"Spite" is definitely the word I would use to describe this movie. There's a level of malice to it that's kind of disturbing in some sense.

I think even if you had hired a director who personally disliked TLJ, it still wouldn't be this spiteful and cruel towards that film. It's the fact that they hired Abrams specifically, the guy whose movie he felt was retconned and damaged by TLJ, that TROS ends up going so far up its own ass in an effort to erase the previous film from existence.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017

I have a feeling this talking point will never die, but I can't help but stress that plotting things out might enhance world consistency to some degree, but that does not make it in itself good writing.

Like the problem of Palpatine returning isn't that it wasn't hinted at in the first two movies. The problem is that he is a retread of "Evil old dude with no character complexity wanting to take over the galaxy using evil magic" and it doesn't offer anything new in regards to that. All it is "Hey, you know how cool it was that he died in RotJ? Well, what if he dies in TRoS WHILE CHANNELING ALL THE SITH WHILE REY CHANNELS ALL THE JEDI!!!"

If we got what we got in TRoS, but we had hints that Palps was working behind the scenes in TFA and TLJ, it'd be just as stupid as it is now. Bad writing is the problem of this movie, not unplanned writing.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Was anyone else expecting Palpatine to start floating around using his lightning and laughing just like in the SNES game? I was really hoping for that lol.

Palpy looked quite cyberpunk when he was being lowered to the ground while his skull was connected to that thing with all those cables. Ghost in the Shell vibes.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Nothing about the final act makes any sense at all. I still don't understand how the Sith Empire was destroyed. Something about a tower signal keeping them aware of where to go? Like what? We don't even see the Sith fleet get destroyed - you have thousands of ships and suddenly the Resistance starts celebrating that they won.

Palpatine's plans made no sense. He wanted different things and his motivations were all over the place. The final "battle" with him and Rey is just so hokey and empty. Nothing happens. She reflects lightning back at him and he explodes (lol). Not real battle, no cool Sith stuff, just stupidity across the board. It's highly anti-climactic and just empty.

Rose said the ships in atmosphere couldn't engage their shields, so the fleet was defenseless until it got to space. They needed to destroy the beacon to stop the fleet from leaving as there was no way to navigate to that location without exact guidance. The point was that they had no shields and the ships weakspots were exposed cause of it, so the resistance just picked apart the fleet who also couldn't engage the enemy cause they were so close together on the planet or they would be shooting themselves.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trying to stay positive, there's one thing that comes to mind: the parallels of Kylo/Ben and Han Solo. When Kylo raises his finger to shut up the officers like Han did in Hoth. When he shots the Knight of Ren like Han did in TFA. Those bits are actually good

gives em the rotj han shrug too when he gets luke's saber through the force call with rey

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017

the sith planet had major electromagnetic storms so the ships navigation couldn't detect which way was up to loeave the planet. So they used the sensor towers to guide the ships out to space. They show the fleet being destroyed. Rey walks back to Lukes X-Wing and you see the stardestroyers crashing into the planet all around her.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Nah mate it's neither.
It really is a mess, with nice visuals and couple scenes that are nice.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I liked TFA, loved TLJ, and I am satisfied with the conclusion of the Ben/Rey plot.

I'm ok with where we ended up. But I honestly have no idea how we got there. I... wish they got more screentime?

I legitimately couldn't understand what Kylo was doing for most of the movie. Was he even ever truly working for Palpatine?

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I liked TFA, loved TLJ, and I am satisfied with the conclusion of the Ben/Rey plot.

Ben/Rey is the only thing in this film that's done well. We've had three movies of buildup and their force bond was properly established in TLJ. Compare that to the way Palpatine is used. His role belongs in a videogame. He's a cartoon that makes no sense.

Oct 28, 2017
Rose said the ships in atmosphere couldn't engage their shields, so the fleet was defenseless until it got to space. They needed to destroy the beacon to stop the fleet from leaving as there was no way to navigate to that location without exact guidance. The point was that they had no shields and the ships weakspots were exposed cause of it, so the resistance just picked apart the fleet who also couldn't engage the enemy cause they were so close together on the planet or they would be shooting themselves.
I must have checked out at this point because I remember literally none of this lol

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm ok with where we ended up. But I honestly have no idea how we got there. I... wish they got more screentime?

I agree with this and to be honest: The focus on Ray & Ben hold the movie together for me. Or at least as much as possible, because there is just to much bad story telling and stupid ideas everywhere.

Yes. But I thought it was about on the same level as TFA.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
It was a mostly fun time and not the worst end to the saga, but not the catharsis and real resolution for all characters one might hope for. Not at all what I would have done or wanted to see happen, but it wasn't Prequel terrible. It was a choice.

Only a few parts or things really stood out and made me mad. First Rey's lineage and then that final Rey/Kylo scene.

The lack of any meaningful development or conflict for Poe/Finn felt really bizarre, yet they spent a bunch of time "establishing" their back stories for no real gain. This movie was pure Rey/Kylo development. Everyone else was just kind of doing stuff but already well past the end of their arcs. Dangling again of Finn's connection to the force with no payoff remains shitty, and especially the whole what did he want to say to Rey thing throughout that led to nothing, which again was especially ruined by that Rey/Kylo scene.

Palps wasn't horrible, but he didn't add anything and the whole Rey is a Palpatine was the dumbest shit they could have pulled. Would have meant a lot more had the film just been about a renewed Resistance fighting the FO and defeating Kylo who is beyond redemption. His redemption here didn't feel earned at all. Relying on yet another super weapon with the clock ticking, now in the form of an impossibly huge fleet all with planet killers and you just have to do this one thing to take it all out was stupid too. Do something else for once. Just have a normal fucking fleet battle.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Yeah...I don't think I'll ever bother watching the ST again. Bunch of wheels spinning, plot retreads, creatively bankrupt, and just holding each other back. A set of three films that add up to saying nothing. I guess at least TLJ tried and failed at making something but in the end for naught thanks to this film. They need to go somewhere else in time and get better writers.

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017

I'll try. The tower lets the sith ships navigate off the planet. I think someone (Poe?) said they were too close to each to shoot because of friendly fire. So they were stuck? In that ludicrous car park formation. PROTIP: making your CGI stuff perfectly symmetrically arranged means it all looks copy and pasted and less convincing. So yeah, they parked too close to get their guns out.

Sheeves greatest enemy is his inability to control his lighting bolts. They are always his undoing. The fight wasn't great. At least in Revenge we had him go buck wild. Especially that backward roll over the chair when yoda shoved him. The clone wars comic had him do some cool stuff too. He just wasn't threatening enough here. The crane was cool, his cheer squad was cool. Bummer he didn't just say, fuck yall I cloned Maul again! Bam duel of the fates kicks in. LOL My fan fiction is getting outta control.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
I don't feel like TFA building to the moment where Rey gives Luke his lightsaber only for him to casually throw it away in a comedy spot at the beginning of the next film is a slightly different direction

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
the sith planet had major electromagnetic storms so the ships navigation couldn't detect which way was up to loeave the planet. So they used the sensor towers to guide the ships out to space. They show the fleet being destroyed. Rey walks back to Lukes X-Wing and you see the stardestroyers crashing into the planet all around her.

That's convenient - a load-bearing final boss for an entire space fleet.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I loved both TFA and TLJ and this movie was trash and insulting to both movies that came before it in the trilogy.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like they need to take whatever they were going to pay Rian Johnson for his trilogy and double it. Drive a dumptruck full of cash to his front door. Star Wars needs him waaaay more than he needs Star Wars at this point :P

Dec 22, 2017
I gotta say JJ is incredible at the pulpy, fantasy adventure stuff, which is exactly what I go see Star Wars movies for. Every second of screen time with Finn and/or Poe had me grinning ear to ear.

A really great Star Wars trilogy might have been Rian Johnson writing the Rey/Force parts, and JJ handling the Finn/Poe/Resistance stuff.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't feel like TFA building to the moment where Rey gives Luke his lightsaber only for him to casually throw it away in a comedy spot at the beginning of the next film is a slightly different direction

That scene meant nothing. Was he supposed to start crying? Hug her? Turn it on and stab her with it? Luke does not view that lightsaber with nearly as much importance as the fans do. He's gone through like four of them already.

Status
Not open for further replies.